OMFS, canadian, low stats... any hope?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted721052

Hello,

I'm a Canadian first year student who finished with a 3.3 gpa this year (failed a practical exam which made me fail a whole class... passed the retake but still, hurted my app a lot i guess). Low GPA was mostly due to low work-life balance with competitive rowing. I won't be continuing rowing this year though because yes, it was too much and my grade suffered so hopefully i can bring the gpa up a bit. I have research experience with a published paper, i'm helping giving a conference with my mentor in the fall in NYC, and i have lots of volunteering opportunities and shadowing. I didn't really think i could do OMFS but i've spent the summer shadowing heavy maxillo surgeries and i can't imagine my life doing anything else.

HOWEVER, i know these things barely matters..

I'm Canadian but no way i'm getting into OMFS in Canada so i'm looking at 4 years program in the US. Anyone has done the same and has advice or school names that accept canadians withOUT a undergrad degree? Is there any chance for me or am I a lost case? An intership yea could help? or a GPR? I mean, i'd rather know nowadays if there isn't much chance so i can wrap my head around it already.

Thank you guys :)

Members don't see this ad.

Why can't you get into OMFS in Canada? And what is your class rank?

Why can't you get into OMFS in Canada? And what is your class rank?
Canada's residencies are basically impossible to get into, especially OS (and ortho), because there are sooo few spots. Most canadians go to the US..

and my school doesn't give our class rank but i'm guessing 50th percentil? idk, i have many class higher than average but a few at average.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am sorry dude. As a canadian coming from Canadian dental school, you gotta have higher stats than most Americans..this includes good GPA/class rank and a good CBSE score (there is an upward trend in CBSE scores..so like an 80 something). Doing an internship may help if you absolutely kill the CBSE.

I am sorry dude. As a canadian coming from Canadian dental school, you gotta have higher stats than most Americans..this includes good GPA/class rank and a good CBSE score (there is an upward trend in CBSE scores..so like an 80 something). Doing an internship may help if you absolutely kill the CBSE.
How important is GPA/grades when there's no class rank information? Would cbse become more important and relevant in this case? Are u currently in a residency? Just wondering on what basis are you making those claims?

How important is GPA/grades when there's no class rank information? Would cbse become more important and relevant in this case? Are u currently in a residency? Just wondering on what basis are you making those claims?

The number one things that residency directors look at is your CBSE score and your GPA/rank. At my school, if you are not in the top 20%, you are not considered at all. The admin makes two piles, first of those in the top tenth of their class, and after that, they consider those in the 20th percentile.

I don't know what they do if there is no ranking, but I'd reckon they want a GPA around 3.8-3.9. That's what my classmates' GPAs were who matched last cycle.

Last edited:
The number one things that residency directors look at is your CBSE score and your GPA/rank. At my school, if you are not in the top 20%, you are not considered at all. The admin makes two piles, first of those in the top tenth of their class, and after that, they consider those in the 20th percentile.

I don't know what they do if there is no ranking, but I'd reckon they want a GPA around 3.8-3.9. That's what my classmates' GPAs were who matched last cycle.

The reason I asked was because there are just so many conflicting opinions here, and I was told by a current OMFS resident in NY that CBSE result generally carries more weight than GPA because when you have applicants coming from schools with GPA+rank, schools with GPA without rank or schools with only P/F AND without rank, CBSE result then becomes a good tool to evaluate an applicant's medical knowledge and by further inference, his/her academic talent.

That said, I think one can also draw a positive correlation between an applicant's CBSE result and his/her school performance (i.e. GPA), and hence it is very possible that a person who matched and have a decent CBSE score would tend to have a higher GPA as well.

I know some schools say it upfront that only applicants in the top 20% or whatnot would be considered, sometimes I wonder what happens if they see applicants coming from one of those schools with P/F and without rank...

I have a 3.0 GPA and that's an 85 average. A 3.8 is a 93 average. Hard to believe that an OMFS faculty would toss a candidate over 8 points spread out across 4 years. There's much more to the candidate than a simple GPA where a non-important class like Histology or Immunology can tank a GPA.

Canada's residencies are basically impossible to get into, especially OS (and ortho), because there are sooo few spots. Most canadians go to the US..

and my school doesn't give our class rank but i'm guessing 50th percentil? idk, i have many class higher than average but a few at average.
Actually I am trying to get into a omfs residency in Canada itself.I have already completed MDS OMFS from India. Can u pls help me on that