OMFS applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Got an interview at Cincinnati on Friday, scheduled Dec 4th. :D

tjb

Members don't see this ad.

Got interviews from U Florida (Gainesville) and U Miami. Any thoughts on these programs?

Just returned from Iowa interview. Great solid program. Some of the best faculty you could ever meet. Probably the best clinical facilities in the country, they actually have artwork displayed everywhere. Residents are extremely happy and informative. They are constructing a private practice clinic in town for the residents which will be done in June. City is small and cozy, works for me but others might not like. Most call is from home. Residents start sedations and dentoalveolar from day one. Only downsides are not too much for trauma, no plastics, no cancer and not too much in terms of TMJ. Great program overall has to be one of or the best 4 year in terms of lifestyle. :thumbup:

tjb

Members don't see this ad :)
tjb said:
Just returned from Iowa interview. Great solid program. Some of the best faculty you could ever meet. Probably the best clinical facilities in the country, they actually have artwork displayed everywhere. Residents are extremely happy and informative. They are constructing a private practice clinic in town for the residents which will be done in June. City is small and cozy, works for me but others might not like. Most call is from home. Residents start sedations and dentoalveolar from day one. Only downsides are not too much for trauma, no plastics, no cancer and not too much in terms of TMJ. Great program overall has to be one of or the best 4 year in terms of lifestyle. :thumbup:

tjb
That sounds like a lot of downsides. Is the program mostly dentoalveolar/implants/orthognathics, then?

tjb said:

tjb

Did you ask how many implants residents were placing? A weakness in the past...

River13 said:
Did you ask how many implants residents were placing? A weakness in the past...

Yes, I did ask. The chiefs have each placed close to 30-40 this year from what I was told. With the new private practice opening they are assuming each year level resident will place that each year. So you might place ~120 by the end.
The program is not meant for some of the hardcore people out there applying. Iowa dose about 150 orthognathic cases per year and 20-25 secondary cleft repairs. You have to remember when your done with any program you will most likely enter private practice. The bread-n-butter type procedures is how you make money. Even craniofacial surgeons do quite a few third molars to live nice. It's great to learn cancer surgery, cleft and trauma, but unless you're affiliated with a university you will not see it as much nor want too. This program trains oral surgeons at what oral surgeons do most.

tjb

I would agree with tjb's post, last year when i interviewed there It was a very nice program with very solid "bread and butter" type training. It was told to us that it was a little top-heavy (meaning the upper levels do most of the cases), but that sounds as if it should be cleared up with this new clinic you speak of. I remember when I interviewed with Dr. Burton, all we did was go over the other programs I applied to and he gave me pro's and con's of each, a really nice guy. Oh and he told us that when he was in the service he took out chelsey clintons wisdom teeth. Good luck guys.

In case anyone forgot. Please list any schools that have sent out interview invites. So far its been:

Univ. Michigan
Case Western
Iowa
Univ. FL-Gainesville
Cincinnati
Jacksonville
Univ. Miami
Washington

tjb

also

Parkland
UCSF
Loma LInda
tjb said:
In case anyone forgot. Please list any schools that have sent out interview invites. So far its been:

Univ. Michigan
Case Western
Iowa
Univ. FL-Gainesville
Cincinnati
Jacksonville
Univ. Miami
Washington

tjb

Is there a battle at Iowa between the Periodontists and OMFS's for implant placement opportunities or is it a good cooperative atmosphere. Also is the new clinic being designed for both specialties or only for OMFS?

Drtrigeminal said:
Is there a battle at Iowa between the Periodontists and OMFS's for implant placement opportunities or is it a good cooperative atmosphere. Also is the new clinic being designed for both specialties or only for OMFS?

Apparently there is no battle with perio over implants. The feel I got from the residents is that the perio residency is not that strong there. As far as the new clinic, Dr. Burton only mentioned OMFS but I should find out for sure.

tjb

Here's an updated list as of today:

UCSF
Parkland
Loma Linda
Univ. Michigan
Univ FL-Gainesville
FL-Jacksonville
Nova
Cincinnati
Iowa
Case Western
Washington
Univ Miami
LSU
Cleveland-Metrohealth

tjb

who has heard from LSU and in what form (email, call, letter)

Members don't see this ad :)
Got an interview from Houston today via email! :D

tjb

Mass general sent out an email today for interviews

They're talking about highland hospital in oakland.

heared this program has had lot of problems lately. didn't they lose two residents recently?
tjb said:
Got an interview from Houston today via email! :D

tjb

Hey TJB how many invites have you had thus far, sounds like you have to fight them off with a stick. Just Curious, i only applied to a few schools so i'm waiting for them to reply, if they do.

BSSO said:
Hey TJB how many invites have you had thus far, sounds like you have to fight them off with a stick. Just Curious, i only applied to a few schools so i'm waiting for them to reply, if they do.
So far 6 interviews and turned down one of them down. I applied to 23 total.

tjb

BSSO said:
who has heard from LSU and in what form (email, call, letter)

I believe LSU NEw Orleans sent via mail.

Doggie said:
I believe LSU NEw Orleans sent via mail.

"You may be a master debator, but I am still the cunning linguist."

Hilarious personal signatures :D I'm too the cunning linguist, much more often so than a master debator :laugh: :laugh:

Woohooo, made to 100+ posts :love:

2 more places:

Indiana
Emory

Keep on posting!

as of today:

UCSF
Parkland
Loma Linda
Univ. Michigan
Univ FL-Gainesville
FL-Jacksonville
Nova
Cincinnati
Iowa
Case Western
Washington
Univ Miami
LSU
Cleveland-Metrohealth
MGH Harvard
Highland Hospital Oakland
Houston
Indiana
Emory

LeFort said:
as of today:

UCSF
Parkland
Loma Linda
Univ. Michigan
Univ FL-Gainesville
FL-Jacksonville
Nova
Cincinnati
Iowa
Case Western
Washington
Univ Miami
LSU
Cleveland-Metrohealth
MGH Harvard
Houston
Indiana
Emory

You See LA too.

Just got off the phone with Dr. Van Sickels, invite to Univ. of Kentucky. :cool:

tjb

BU (BMC)
UCSF
Parkland
Loma Linda
Univ. Michigan
Univ FL-Gainesville
FL-Jacksonville
Nova
Cincinnati
Iowa
Case Western
Washington
Univ Miami
LSU
Cleveland-Metrohealth
MGH Harvard
Houston
Indiana
Emory

Jediwendell said:
As for the medicine thing, man I have never in my life seen such an unhappy bunch of people as MDs and MD residents and medical students. If you do OMS you will see what I am talking about. Nobody seems to enjoy it. Going to dental school is the best thing you ever did for yourself. Never have seen an unhappy orthodontist............

This is absolutely, 100% true. Most medical people are disillusioned or, as many medical students are, naive and stupid. Lot of med students seem to think that their clinical team needs them and that they are important. I working with a girl now who is like that. Stupid.

tjb said:
Just got off the phone with Dr. Van Sickels, invite to Univ. of Kentucky. :cool:

tjb

Van Sickels called everyone in my interview group. That is top-notch classy. I salute Van Sickels for that. I think it is really nice that he personally calls people. I was impressed with the Ky interview and how concerned they seemed to be with our experience on the interview.

add LSU shreveport to the list

TX OMFS said:
Van Sickels called everyone in my interview group. That is top-notch classy. I salute Van Sickels for that. I think it is really nice that he personally calls people. I was impressed with the Ky interview and how concerned they seemed to be with our experience on the interview.

Hey does anyone know anything about LSU Shreveport, what is the word on the street on that program. What is the town like. How much estrogen is there in the program. How many residents. What are the residents like there? Does anyone know any of them?

Stuff like that.

tanks dudes.

This is my program so take this for what's it's worth:

6 year MD integrated. 41 months OMS. 18 months medical school, 6 months general surgery, 4 months anesthesia, 2 months ER, 1 month USMLE study. We take 2 categorical(6 year spots) and 1 - 2 interns(1 year guys) per year. Everyone gets along great, and we've all got each others back. Attendings pick who interviews. Residents have a lot of say in who matches. Everyone gets along great. Some are married, have kids, some single. As far as estrogen goes, yeah, we've got some nurses. We rotate in one hospital. 2 full time attendings, couple of part timers, including a plastics attending who covers trauma. Attending situation is stable. We are supposed to be getting another soon. Our new clinic is in the process of being built.

Procedures, we do them all. We may take out more thyroids than place implants :laugh: . H/N cancer, free flap recon, craniofacial recon, distraction, cleft, craniosynostosis, some cosmetics, We manage our ICU patients, trauma, trachs, traditional OS. No fellows. No plastic residency, ENT is weak here.

Call is q 3 or 4 as intern, free meals, very respected in the hospital. Very good situation to be in for residency. Helps on medical school rotations. I'm on Ob/Gyn and I've delivered two baby's today - it's like popping out a whizzie. Minimal scut work as a med student. Medical school rep is average, who cares.

Shreveport, it's got stores and stuff. If you are worried about your social life go to country club program, be an endodontist, don't apply here. I like the city, it weeds out those applicants who give a care, we don't want them here anyway. No moonlighting. We can work ER shifts for like $800, pull teeth at a local prision for $200 on the weekend.

great post. very informative. thanks.
omsres said:
This is my program so take this for what's it's worth:

6 year MD integrated. 41 months OMS. 18 months medical school, 6 months general surgery, 4 months anesthesia, 2 months ER, 1 month USMLE study. We take 2 categorical(6 year spots) and 1 - 2 interns(1 year guys) per year. Everyone gets along great, and we've all got each others back. Attendings pick who interviews. Residents have a lot of say in who matches. Everyone gets along great. Some are married, have kids, some single. As far as estrogen goes, yeah, we've got some nurses. We rotate in one hospital. 2 full time attendings, couple of part timers, including a plastics attending who covers trauma. Attending situation is stable. We are supposed to be getting another soon. Our new clinic is in the process of being built.

Procedures, we do them all. We may take out more thyroids than place implants :laugh: . H/N cancer, free flap recon, craniofacial recon, distraction, cleft, craniosynostosis, some cosmetics, We manage our ICU patients, trauma, trachs, traditional OS. No fellows. No plastic residency, ENT is weak here.

Call is q 3 or 4 as intern, free meals, very respected in the hospital. Very good situation to be in for residency. Helps on medical school rotations. I'm on Ob/Gyn and I've delivered two baby's today - it's like popping out a whizzie. Minimal scut work as a med student. Medical school rep is average, who cares.

Shreveport, it's got stores and stuff. If you are worried about your social life go to country club program, be an endodontist, don't apply here. I like the city, it weeds out those applicants who give a care, we don't want them here anyway. No moonlighting. We can work ER shifts for like $800, pull teeth at a local prision for $200 on the weekend.

Got interviews from UPenn, Vanderbilt, and Maryland today. Too bad they're all on the same weekend. :eek:

tjb

Big news, we're getting rid of omsres. Well, actually, he's taking over the job of head assistant here in Shreveport. So, you guys, there's going to be an extra spot next year in Shreveport. We're replacing omsres with an extra first year seeing as that's all he contributes anyway.

You really seem to know about many programs. Did you come across any programs where grades and boards scores weren't the most important thing? I did a one year GPR last year in the military and have been working in an exodontia clinic ever since. My grades are 3.67 but board scores of 89/84. Would I even have a remote chance of getting into a civilian OMFS residency?

The military OMFS residencies seem to have a repuation of "eating their young". Could you comment generally on how well/poorly the more junior residents are treated? Thanks!

Jediwendell said:
I WAS training at San Antonio. I did three years but have now resigned and am applying for orthodontics (whole different story). UAB has a very good reputation, but you spend a lot of time holding sticks for the faculty from what I understand. My friends that went there for dental school mostly had bad things to say about it. Parkland is very good in all aspects, but be very careful there as there is no dental school affiliation and they have had some trouble with faculty and money issues lately. No dental school =no or few implants. They do a lot of cosmetic procedures, for what that is worth. All of the 6 year texas schools are really excellent. They all have power in the hospital and do a lot of cosmetics/trauma. San Antonio and Baylor are the most well rounded, as Houston does a lot more trauma. If you like a four year, then Galveston is very nice and they have a good lifestyle during residency. Florida you know about. Nothing above the mandible unless it is a lefort. Not such a bad thing, though, because the lifestyle is good. The guy at Jacksonville is the bomb (Fattahi), but it is a four year at a trauma hospital. UNC is a lot of bluster about orthognathics, but they really don't do that much more than San Antonio or Baylor. LSU shreveport is probably the best program in the country, but there are some drawbacks. Dr. Ghali is awesome, but if he leaves......... Also, you have to live in Shreveport. LSU NO is also very good, but you really get worked and you have to live in NO. The year I interviewed there were four shootings in the ER. I chose a lot on lifestyle issues and well rounded program. I was less than enthused about the prospects of doing cancer, and I was lukewarm about cosmetic procedures. If any of the programs tell you that you will be fully trained to do all cosmetic procedures when you get done, they are giving you a load of crapola. Trauma load is important, but only in the sense that you need full scope trauma. It really isn't that important how much you do. At all of the programs I listed you will get more than your fair share of chief cases. Really, they don't care too much about research or other experiences. Grades and board scores are the most important things. I would recommend doing three to four weeks for externships. The longer you are there, the more you get to do. I did five months total, and was getting to cut at various places. At Parkland I got to do half a blepharoplasty and a full laser skin resurfacing because I hung around and appeared interested. When you go, plan on living at the hospital pretty much. Be the first person at the hospital and the last to leave, that will give a good impression. Make sure you have a meeting with the director and the chairman before you leave, and wear a suit. Wear a suit your first day. You will feel like a weenie, but it makes a good impression. If you hate the place you are externing DO NOT leave early. Word gets around. Offer to do a presentation to the faculty/residents (not at parkland if appropriate) For dentoalveolar experience, I would recommend externing at Kentucky or Parkland. There you will get to do whatever you want in the mouth. For overall experience, I would also recommend LSU (either). I wouldn't necessarily extern at UAB, UNC, Florida, San Antonio or Baylor, even though these are some of the better programs. Externing where you want to go can definitely help you, but it can also hurt you really bad if you don't do a good job. If you follow my advice above, you will most likely get an interview if you grades and board scores are good enough. When you are looking at programs, you have to think about what you are interested in. If you want to get a well rounded education, but not get totally worked over, look at San Antonio, Baylor, Louisville, Florida, UNC. If you want all out surgery and want to get worked over, try UAB, Parkland, LSU NO, LSU Sh, or Ky. If you want cosmetics, go to Louisville, LSU NO, Parkland, Baylor or San Antonio. If you want Orthognathics, go to UNC, San Antonio or Baylor. If you want lifestyle (ie easier call), go to Florida, Louisville, Galveston. I ended up with this rank list: San Anonio, Baylor, Parkland, Florida, UNC, Louisville, LSU NO, LSU Sh, Kentucky. Everybody will have there own experiences at these institutions, and may tell you something different.

Whew, that is long. Any other preguntas?

Interviews from Mass. General and Louisville today. Also heard Carle gave out interviews.

tjb

I'm a hopeful OMFS applicant in the near future and I was wondering what are some rough average stats of successful OMFS applicants (i.e. rank in class, gpa, board scores).

New List:

BU (BMC)
UCSF
Parkland
Loma Linda
Univ. Michigan
Univ FL-Gainesville
FL-Jacksonville
Nova
Cincinnati
Iowa
Case Western
Washington
Univ Miami
LSU
Cleveland-Metrohealth
MGH Harvard
Houston
Indiana
Emory
UPenn
Maryland
Louisville
Vanderbilt
Carle

***Did anyone hear from Mayo yet????? :confused:

tjb

J10sstar said:
I'm a hopeful OMFS applicant in the near future and I was wondering what are some rough average stats of successful OMFS applicants (i.e. rank in class, gpa, board scores).

Top 20% of class, >90 part I, several externships where you performed well would probably get you in somewhere.

New List:

BU (BMC)
UCSF
Parkland
Loma Linda
Univ. Michigan
Univ FL-Gainesville
FL-Jacksonville
Nova
Cincinnati
Iowa
Case Western
Washington
Univ Miami
LSU NO
LSU SHREVEPORT
Cleveland-Metrohealth
MGH Harvard
Houston
Indiana
Emory
UPenn
Maryland
Louisville
Vanderbilt
Carle
UCLA
Mayo
LAC+USC

Did mayo and USC contact by phone or email?

WestCoast said:
New List:

BU (BMC)
UCSF
Parkland
Loma Linda
Univ. Michigan
Univ FL-Gainesville
FL-Jacksonville
Nova
Cincinnati
Iowa
Case Western
Washington
Univ Miami
LSU NO
LSU SHREVEPORT
Cleveland-Metrohealth
MGH Harvard
Houston
Indiana
Emory
UPenn
Maryland
Louisville
Vanderbilt
Carle
UCLA
Mayo
LAC+USC

Add U of Kentucky to the list

LAC+USC was by mail and I didn't apply to mayo. I have friends who heared
WestCoast said:
New List:

BU (BMC)
UCSF
Parkland
Loma Linda
Univ. Michigan
Univ FL-Gainesville
FL-Jacksonville
Nova
Cincinnati
Iowa
Case Western
Washington
Univ Miami
LSU NO
LSU SHREVEPORT
Cleveland-Metrohealth
MGH Harvard
Houston
Indiana
Emory
UPenn
Maryland
Louisville
Vanderbilt
Carle
UCLA
Mayo
LAC+USC

Anyone have any ideas about how many people are interviewed at Mass general and at U Mich, I know that they have 3 spots each. I also heard that UKy interviews 14 for 2 spots.

Heard from Med College of WI today.

BSSO said:
Anyone have any ideas about how many people are interviewed at Mass general and at U Mich, I know that they have 3 spots each. I also heard that UKy interviews 14 for 2 spots.
I thought MGH had 2 positions both of which were postmatched last year.
I think Univ. Michigan interviewed 30 last year.

tjb

tjb said:
Heard from Med College of WI today.

I thought MGH had 2 positions both of which were postmatched last year.
I think Univ. Michigan interviewed 30 last year.

tjb

Nope MGH has three first year spots. Only one had matched the other two were post-match.