OMFS applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Be'You

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello all,

has any body recieved an interview invitation for any OMFS program so far? I know that some programs start interviewing applicants early in november.

Members don't see this ad.

A senior from my school received two interviews already, one at Case and the other at MetroHealth in Cleveland. So I know that interviews are starting.

Yah-E said:
A senior from my school received two interviews already, one at Case and the other at MetroHealth in Cleveland. So I know that interviews are starting.
I know someone who got an interview at LSU

Members don't see this ad :)
PashaJ said:
I know someone who got an interview at LSU

I've been trying to call LSU New Orleans for the past week now and no one is picking up their phones. You think the entire department evacuated cuz of Ivan?

For those that are getting interviews this year, would you please share your numbers?

Class Rank:
NBDE Part 1:

The senior from Nova his numbers were:

Class Rank: #1 or #2 (I think a girl may have surpassed him in the last year)
NBDE Part 1: mid 90s

I know Doggie's NBDE Part 1, but what is your class rank?

In addition, I forget which OMFS thread that it was in, but I recall reading something from SDN that if an OMFS applicant receives X amount of interviews, then most likely that applicant will match somewhere? Does anyone remember that thread? For those that are current OMFS residents, does that holds true for the most part? For example, if one receives 5 interviews, then the chances of that applicant matching is significantly higher? Did anyone else read this somewhere in the past in one of those OMFS threads? I could've sworn that I read it somewhere from here!

so far, interview from case and parkland....so far so good

Class Rank: USC doesn't rank
NBDE Part 1: 95
GPA: 3.86

Yah-E said:
I know Doggie's NBDE Part 1, but what is your class rank?

Columbia doesnt rank either, but I guess I am between top 10% - 20%.

Dog:

Any interviews yet? No class ranking, that's right. How about GPA? Keep us all updated.

When did you hear from Michigan, just wondering cause i applied to them and haven't heard anything, however, they didn't get my Part 1 scores from PASS, so i'm waiting till they get the revised app.

I suggest anyone applying get a confirmation report from PASS, since there can errors on there you wouldn't even know about.

Interview at Univ. of Michigan, asked on Sept. 17th, scheduled Nov. 6th
Interview at Case Western, asked on Sept. 2nd, scheduled Nov. 12-13th

tjb :eek:

Yah-E said:
In addition, I forget which OMFS thread that it was in, but I recall reading something from SDN that if an OMFS applicant receives X amount of interviews, then most likely that applicant will match somewhere? Does anyone remember that thread? For those that are current OMFS residents, does that holds true for the most part? For example, if one receives 5 interviews, then the chances of that applicant matching is significantly higher? Did anyone else read this somewhere in the past in one of those OMFS threads? I could've sworn that I read it somewhere from here!

The magic number I heard last year on ortho interviews is "seven." Apparently if you get 7 interviews, you're good to match. However, I also met at least 2 reapplicants who had more than 7 ortho interviews in a previous cycle and did not match, thus disproving the "magic number mtach theory."

Make of it what you will. More interviews just means that there are more programs out there that think you are hot stuff. It doesn't mean you are a better candidate (b/c we all know those classmates with super stats and zero personality or clinical tact) or that the candidate with fewer interviews is in some way inferior.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got asked for an interview by Univ. of Iowa, scheduled Oct 8-9th

tjb said:
Just got asked for an interview by Univ. of Iowa, scheduled Oct 8-9th

Congrats!

They're definitely one of the best 4 year programs...Traditionally they've been weak in implants though, aka faculty sink almost all of them. Supposedly that was gonna change this year according to interviewees last year--definitely something I would query about during the interview.

Anyone hear from Mass General yet, and any thoughts on the program.

Great research institution, "prestigious" med school degree (who cares though), weak in the surgical department, good clinical.

MGH committee will go over the applications next week. It seems that most residency program directors are currently in Cali for the AAOMS conference.

Be'You said:
MGH committee will go over the applications next week. It seems that most residency program directors are currently in Cali for the AAOMS conference.

I heard the same form Loma Linda for any one interested.

Wondering if anyone knows which program has the edge?
Louiseville or Univ Kentucky.
Any details about each as well. :smuggrin:

Now that the meeting is over the application process should get rolling!
People should start getting some interview invites this week!

tjb

tjb said:
Wondering if anyone knows which program has the edge?
Louiseville or Univ Kentucky.
Any details about each as well. :smuggrin:

Now that the meeting is over the application process should get rolling!
People should start getting some interview invites this week!

tjb

Louisville is a very nice program that encourages you to moonlite. Some of the residents that were there when I interviewed were pulling in six figures total. The faculty are really nice, too. Do hair transplants. Good well rounded program. Fairly benign and call isn't too bad.

Ky is heavy trauma. The faculty are pretty amazing. Dr. Haug is one of the top publishers/clinicians in the country and Dr. Van Sickles literally wrote the book on ORIF. Dr. Cunningham is new, trained at Parkland. He has strong cosmetic experience, but some people don't get along too well with him. I know a most of the residents, and they are all good guys. Something they will try to sell you on at KY is how much cutting you will do as a first year. You will. Some nights you will be the only resident on call as a first year, so you will get a TON of experience. You start sedations right away. Some places don't until after you do anesthesia. Keep in mind that you basically don't come back on OMS service until you are a chief, five years later. May actually be a negative in my book. Also, Haug is probably fishing for a Dean spot somewhere, and he will tell you this if you ask him.

Both are nice towns. I interviewed several years ago at a lot of highly thought of programs (Parkland, UNC, San Antonio, Baylor, Shreveport, New Orleans, Florida, KY, Louisville, Alabama) and have some insight. Feel free to ask about places and I will tell you what I know.

Jediwendell said:
Louisville is a very nice program that encourages you to moonlite. Some of the residents that were there when I interviewed were pulling in six figures total. The faculty are really nice, too. Do hair transplants. Good well rounded program. Fairly benign and call isn't too bad.

Ky is heavy trauma. The faculty are pretty amazing. Dr. Haug is one of the top publishers/clinicians in the country and Dr. Van Sickles literally wrote the book on ORIF. Dr. Cunningham is new, trained at Parkland. He has strong cosmetic experience, but some people don't get along too well with him. I know a most of the residents, and they are all good guys. Something they will try to sell you on at KY is how much cutting you will do as a first year. You will. Some nights you will be the only resident on call as a first year, so you will get a TON of experience. You start sedations right away. Some places don't until after you do anesthesia. Keep in mind that you basically don't come back on OMS service until you are a chief, five years later. May actually be a negative in my book. Also, Haug is probably fishing for a Dean spot somewhere, and he will tell you this if you ask him.

Both are nice towns. I interviewed several years ago at a lot of highly thought of programs (Parkland, UNC, San Antonio, Baylor, Shreveport, New Orleans, Florida, KY, Louisville, Alabama) and have some insight. Feel free to ask about places and I will tell you what I know.

I have not applied yet since I am only a 3rd year but I would love to hear the pros and cons to as many programs as possible. I want to learn alot about the programs so I can decide where to do an externship and figure if it is a program that fits for me... assuming I still decide to apply in a year. Compare Alabama and Parkalnd for starters. Also, if you do an externship at a certain program do you think it gives you a better chance to get an interview there when the time comes? Is it alright to do only 2 week extern rotations? how many is enough? I want to do 2 or 3. How important are things like leadership experiences and mission trips for the CV? Is the CV actually something that is read? Or is it just about grades/rank/boards? I have research on my CV but no abstract... is this ok? Sorry for the abundance of questions but i am realy looking for some guidance. Thanks in advance for any help you may offer. By the way where are you training?

Jediwendell said:

I haven't heard much about Alabama and am applying there, do you have any good insights to this program. BTW great post on U Ky thanks for the Info.

GatorDMD said:
I have not applied yet since I am only a 3rd year but I would love to hear the pros and cons to as many programs as possible. I want to learn alot about the programs so I can decide where to do an externship and figure if it is a program that fits for me... assuming I still decide to apply in a year. Compare Alabama and Parkalnd for starters. Also, if you do an externship at a certain program do you think it gives you a better chance to get an interview there when the time comes? Is it alright to do only 2 week extern rotations? how many is enough? I want to do 2 or 3. How important are things like leadership experiences and mission trips for the CV? Is the CV actually something that is read? Or is it just about grades/rank/boards? I have research on my CV but no abstract... is this ok? Sorry for the abundance of questions but i am realy looking for some guidance. Thanks in advance for any help you may offer. By the way where are you training?

I WAS training at San Antonio. I did three years but have now resigned and am applying for orthodontics (whole different story). UAB has a very good reputation, but you spend a lot of time holding sticks for the faculty from what I understand. My friends that went there for dental school mostly had bad things to say about it. Parkland is very good in all aspects, but be very careful there as there is no dental school affiliation and they have had some trouble with faculty and money issues lately. No dental school =no or few implants. They do a lot of cosmetic procedures, for what that is worth. All of the 6 year texas schools are really excellent. They all have power in the hospital and do a lot of cosmetics/trauma. San Antonio and Baylor are the most well rounded, as Houston does a lot more trauma. If you like a four year, then Galveston is very nice and they have a good lifestyle during residency. Florida you know about. Nothing above the mandible unless it is a lefort. Not such a bad thing, though, because the lifestyle is good. The guy at Jacksonville is the bomb (Fattahi), but it is a four year at a trauma hospital. UNC is a lot of bluster about orthognathics, but they really don't do that much more than San Antonio or Baylor. LSU shreveport is probably the best program in the country, but there are some drawbacks. Dr. Ghali is awesome, but if he leaves......... Also, you have to live in Shreveport. LSU NO is also very good, but you really get worked and you have to live in NO. The year I interviewed there were four shootings in the ER. I chose a lot on lifestyle issues and well rounded program. I was less than enthused about the prospects of doing cancer, and I was lukewarm about cosmetic procedures. If any of the programs tell you that you will be fully trained to do all cosmetic procedures when you get done, they are giving you a load of crapola. Trauma load is important, but only in the sense that you need full scope trauma. It really isn't that important how much you do. At all of the programs I listed you will get more than your fair share of chief cases. Really, they don't care too much about research or other experiences. Grades and board scores are the most important things. I would recommend doing three to four weeks for externships. The longer you are there, the more you get to do. I did five months total, and was getting to cut at various places. At Parkland I got to do half a blepharoplasty and a full laser skin resurfacing because I hung around and appeared interested. When you go, plan on living at the hospital pretty much. Be the first person at the hospital and the last to leave, that will give a good impression. Make sure you have a meeting with the director and the chairman before you leave, and wear a suit. Wear a suit your first day. You will feel like a weenie, but it makes a good impression. If you hate the place you are externing DO NOT leave early. Word gets around. Offer to do a presentation to the faculty/residents (not at parkland if appropriate) For dentoalveolar experience, I would recommend externing at Kentucky or Parkland. There you will get to do whatever you want in the mouth. For overall experience, I would also recommend LSU (either). I wouldn't necessarily extern at UAB, UNC, Florida, San Antonio or Baylor, even though these are some of the better programs. Externing where you want to go can definitely help you, but it can also hurt you really bad if you don't do a good job. If you follow my advice above, you will most likely get an interview if you grades and board scores are good enough. When you are looking at programs, you have to think about what you are interested in. If you want to get a well rounded education, but not get totally worked over, look at San Antonio, Baylor, Louisville, Florida, UNC. If you want all out surgery and want to get worked over, try UAB, Parkland, LSU NO, LSU Sh, or Ky. If you want cosmetics, go to Louisville, LSU NO, Parkland, Baylor or San Antonio. If you want Orthognathics, go to UNC, San Antonio or Baylor. If you want lifestyle (ie easier call), go to Florida, Louisville, Galveston. I ended up with this rank list: San Anonio, Baylor, Parkland, Florida, UNC, Louisville, LSU NO, LSU Sh, Kentucky. Everybody will have there own experiences at these institutions, and may tell you something different.

Whew, that is long. Any other preguntas?

Jediwendell said:

Why ortho? If you don't mind me asking. Curiosity is killing me. If its still a sensitive subject don't bother :)

Awesome info thanks :thumbup:

River13 said:
Why ortho? If you don't mind me asking. Curiosity is killing me. If its still a sensitive subject don't bother :)

Certainly not a sensitive subject. Issue number one is lifestyle. Issue number two is I found OMS boring. I can really take out teeth, but it can get old after a little while. I really don't like implants. I like working with kids. If you are going to do private practice, then you can kiss orthognathics pretty much goodbye. I didn't get into cosmetics like I thought I might. Issue number three is that as an OMS you are pretty much at the bottom of the patient funnel. What I have found is that OMS guys take out wisdom teeth during summer and spring breaks, then pretty much just put out fires. If someone is too sick or too swollen or too TMJ weird, they come to you. I never want to see a facial space infection again. It was pretty much a toss up for me when I was in dental school OMS versus ortho, and the MD tipped the scales in OMS favor. Now that I have it, I am gonna do what I want.

Jediwendell said:
I WAS training at San Antonio. I did three years but have now resigned and am applying for orthodontics (whole different story). UAB has a very good reputation, but you spend a lot of time holding sticks for the faculty from what I understand. My friends that went there for dental school mostly had bad things to say about it. Parkland is very good in all aspects, but be very careful there as there is no dental school affiliation and they have had some trouble with faculty and money issues lately. No dental school =no or few implants. They do a lot of cosmetic procedures, for what that is worth. All of the 6 year texas schools are really excellent. They all have power in the hospital and do a lot of cosmetics/trauma. San Antonio and Baylor are the most well rounded, as Houston does a lot more trauma. If you like a four year, then Galveston is very nice and they have a good lifestyle during residency. Florida you know about. Nothing above the mandible unless it is a lefort. Not such a bad thing, though, because the lifestyle is good. The guy at Jacksonville is the bomb (Fattahi), but it is a four year at a trauma hospital. UNC is a lot of bluster about orthognathics, but they really don't do that much more than San Antonio or Baylor. LSU shreveport is probably the best program in the country, but there are some drawbacks. Dr. Ghali is awesome, but if he leaves......... Also, you have to live in Shreveport. LSU NO is also very good, but you really get worked and you have to live in NO. The year I interviewed there were four shootings in the ER. I chose a lot on lifestyle issues and well rounded program. I was less than enthused about the prospects of doing cancer, and I was lukewarm about cosmetic procedures. If any of the programs tell you that you will be fully trained to do all cosmetic procedures when you get done, they are giving you a load of crapola. Trauma load is important, but only in the sense that you need full scope trauma. It really isn't that important how much you do. At all of the programs I listed you will get more than your fair share of chief cases. Really, they don't care too much about research or other experiences. Grades and board scores are the most important things. I would recommend doing three to four weeks for externships. The longer you are there, the more you get to do. I did five months total, and was getting to cut at various places. At Parkland I got to do half a blepharoplasty and a full laser skin resurfacing because I hung around and appeared interested. When you go, plan on living at the hospital pretty much. Be the first person at the hospital and the last to leave, that will give a good impression. Make sure you have a meeting with the director and the chairman before you leave, and wear a suit. Wear a suit your first day. You will feel like a weenie, but it makes a good impression. If you hate the place you are externing DO NOT leave early. Word gets around. Offer to do a presentation to the faculty/residents (not at parkland if appropriate) For dentoalveolar experience, I would recommend externing at Kentucky or Parkland. There you will get to do whatever you want in the mouth. For overall experience, I would also recommend LSU (either). I wouldn't necessarily extern at UAB, UNC, Florida, San Antonio or Baylor, even though these are some of the better programs. Externing where you want to go can definitely help you, but it can also hurt you really bad if you don't do a good job. If you follow my advice above, you will most likely get an interview if you grades and board scores are good enough. When you are looking at programs, you have to think about what you are interested in. If you want to get a well rounded education, but not get totally worked over, look at San Antonio, Baylor, Louisville, Florida, UNC. If you want all out surgery and want to get worked over, try UAB, Parkland, LSU NO, LSU Sh, or Ky. If you want cosmetics, go to Louisville, LSU NO, Parkland, Baylor or San Antonio. If you want Orthognathics, go to UNC, San Antonio or Baylor. If you want lifestyle (ie easier call), go to Florida, Louisville, Galveston. I ended up with this rank list: San Anonio, Baylor, Parkland, Florida, UNC, Louisville, LSU NO, LSU Sh, Kentucky. Everybody will have there own experiences at these institutions, and may tell you something different.

This is a great post and my experiences and opinions are almost identical. My own bias is that lifestyle during residency is not nearly as important as training, because residency isn't forever and that's your only time in your life when someone's "got your back." And that's the price you pay for being an excellent surgeon. Not that cushy programs don't turn out excellent surgeons, but I think cushier programs may get less experience...to a degree. But there's no way to really know.

Jediwendell said:

Wow, that was a great post. But I agree with toofache that lifestyle during residency isn't as important as how well you train, and thank god my finacee agrees. But great review of the programs.

"You will feel like a weenie, but it makes a good impression" -that is hilarious

what do you guys think about the programs in the west such as usc, ucsf and ucla?

Also, what about programs in the Northeast? From every OMS thread I read, very little is spoken about the Northeast and West coast. It's always the Midwest and Southeast.

Most of the programs in the northeast and on the west coast are weaker full scope. Meaning a lot of the programs don't have the power in the hospital that those in the southeast and midwest do. An oral surgeon started the medical complex at Alabama. The Parkland boys have been running the show for years. At San Antonio we used to do all of the truama before we decided to share it with plastics and ENT. This was not the scenario in the northeast. Plastics and ENT were firmly entrenched in these areas and dictated what OMS could or could not do. From Trauma flows a lot of other treatments, such as revision cosmetics and OR privelidges. Not to say that all northeast programs are bad. Pitt is awesome. Michigan is up and coming. Everyone seems to like MGH, but I have run into a few transfers from there over the years and they didn't have much good to say about it. Oregon may be a player, as Leon Assael recently took over there. Maryland is good but MALIGNANT as all get out. Pazoki is very impressive there, however. Most of the NYC schools have trouble getting enough surgeries for their residents. Aother school I didn't mention is Minnesota. Pretty darned good four year program. The bottom line is this: schools with good reputations do a lot of trauma. You are right in that your life will suck for a while (six years is a long time), but you are there to get training. BUT, if you do choose to go to a galveston or minnesota or another good four year, you will still be able to do any surgery. The only thing you may have trouble with is cosmetic surgery, but I'm telling you it is over-rated. If you think you want to do purely cosmetic surgery you should most likely do a full fledged three year plastics fellowship when you finish OMS (not the one year cosmetics OMS fellowships). Unfortunatelyh this is purely for public PR reasons, as most plastic surgeons spend about 6 months to a year on the face total. If not, content yourself with about 80% dentoalveolar and 5-10% cosmetic. You will lose money if you try to do full cosmetics and you will find that your best referral source will be within your own practice or from your dental referees. There are some good editorials out there about the implant-cosmetics connection.

Wow, another good review......

you should write a book.

JediWendell, since you're on a roll here, what's your take on Univ. of Michigan, Iowa and Mayo?

tjb

Don't know much about Mayo, but I do know that they send were sending there residents other places for trauma, for what that is worth. Obviously a decent medical school. U Mich I believe is a real up and coming program. A guy doing the GPR at San Antonio last year is starting as intern. He is from Vancouver and probably one of the coolest/smartest guys out there. Definitely tell him you have talked to a guy named Wendell about him if you interview up there. He had really good things to say about their program. Iowa is a very strong four year program, but I believe that their glory may have been more in the past. One of my professors at UK went there for OMS, and wasn't as impressed with their progression over the years into such things as cosmetics. Iowa is not my forte, however, and If you have heard something different it is probably true.

More good info for evaluating programs when you interview. Ask how many full time faculty are there and what their longevity is. There have to be at least one full time faculty for each yearly residency slot and then one extra. Therefore, at San Antonio, there were two residency slots, so they had to have three full time faculty members. If they don't have enough, the program will not be meeting its accreditation standards and may be forced to shut down.

tjb said:
JediWendell, since you're on a roll here, what's your take on Univ. of Michigan, Iowa and Mayo?

tjb

nice post

i guess not much comment on the westcoast schools besides orgeon eh?

I know that UCSF is traditionally very strong. Certainly no shame in going there. I have met a lot of folks from UCLA that didn't go to UCLA that were very strong applicants. You will also see that on interviews. I believe USC is pretty weak. Dr. Assael, my dean at KY when I was there, really thought a lot about the director there, however. The problem with california schools in the past has been the like the east coast scenario. Little trauma above the mandible, not a lot of cosmetics. With the change in the legislature of Cali you should see some changes in the OMS programs as well. May be worth the chance of going. Remember, once you are matched, the best program is the one you got into. Washington has been having huge problems and I believe was booted off of the trauma schedule for a while, according to folks that I know. Loma Linda is run by an ex Parkland resident that has an excellent reputation. He may be somewhat hampered by the history of california oms.

WestCoast said:
nice post

i guess not much comment on the westcoast schools besides orgeon eh?

Jediwendell said:
I know that UCSF is traditionally very strong. Certainly no shame in going there. I have met a lot of folks from UCLA that didn't go to UCLA that were very strong applicants. You will also see that on interviews. I believe USC is pretty weak. Dr. Assael, my dean at KY when I was there, really thought a lot about the director there, however. The problem with california schools in the past has been the like the east coast scenario. Little trauma above the mandible, not a lot of cosmetics. With the change in the legislature of Cali you should see some changes in the OMS programs as well. May be worth the chance of going. Remember, once you are matched, the best program is the one you got into. Washington has been having huge problems and I believe was booted off of the trauma schedule for a while, according to folks that I know. Loma Linda is run by an ex Parkland resident that has an excellent reputation. He may be somewhat hampered by the history of california oms.
what do you know about UIC? I read it is a 5 year program... how does it compare to nebraska or case western? If we only get limited time off from school and i am able to squeeze out 2 weeks for a externship will that work against me since i cant do 3 or 4 weeks? What do you think of UPENN for an externship?

:confused:

My co resident at San Antonio had a buddy that went up there to UIC. Very good trauma education (cook county is like charity for trauma). Does a fair number of implants. Nebraska was very strong on cosmetics in the past, with Leon Davis, but now Miloro has taken over. They have a good reputation, but make sure they have enough faculty (see prior post on accreditation). I know almost nothing about CW, but hey, five years, MD and done. No shame there. Bottom line, any program that has no accreditation problems and gets enough surgeries for their chiefs will let you do what you want when you get done more or less.

W

GatorDMD said:
what do you know about UIC? I read it is a 5 year program... how does it compare to nebraska or case western? If we only get limited time off from school and i am able to squeeze out 2 weeks for a externship will that work against me since i cant do 3 or 4 weeks? What do you think of UPENN for an externship?

:confused:

I went to UIC for a one week externship, Mayo for one week, Penn for one week and Pitt for 2 weeks.
I didn't end up applying to UIC. The chair is somewhat hard to get along with, didn't seem like much was going on in terms of OR cases, and seemed like higher level residents wasted too much time doing things like simple extractions in the dental school. The residents at UIC didn't seem very thrilled either. There MD is not like Neb or Case. You essentially do one year after surgery training but do not get a gen surgery year like the others. Thus you do not get to practice with your MD. Penn's externship was good. You don't get to do much but you get a good idea of how the program is run. It's well rounded with lots of TMJ since that is Quinns forte. Mayo is nice with a little mix of everything except trauma, since it's in a town of only ~80,000 population. Pitt is awesome, Dr. Ochs is amazing at everything and Dr. Costello is the director as well as the director for a craniofacial fellowship.
I wish I would have spent 2 weeks at Mayo to get a better feel, seems real laid back, residents are happy.

I just got an interview at Univ. FL-Gainesville today but they only gave me a week and a half notice. Hard to get decent tickets in that time! If anyone has any detailed info on this program not already discussed please share. I hope most progarams give a better heads up on interviews, last minute tickets are expensive! :scared:

tjb

Thank you, Wendell, for the moutnain of information. I have a question for all of you interested in OMS. Most of us entered dental school, ranking lifestyle highly on our hierarchy of why we wanted to be dentists. Doesn't pursuing OMS sort of negate that freedom we valued so greatly? In addition, we enjoy the fact that a dentist's malpractice insurance is lower, and they don't have to deal with HMOs and the like. What do you all feel about those thoughts?

I'm curious, because I'm asking myself those same questions. Dentistry is already so great, do I really want to do OMS? It seems as if I should have gone to med school in the first place, and that's part of the reason why I don't have my heart set on OMS just yet... "thank you, I'm just looking for now."

Well, I can give you a perspective of someone that dropped out of OMS. Your lifestyle really is different. Most of the time you will be seeing other people's problems in your practice. Some people can do OMS and that is great. Not for me. I was spending 100 plus hours at the hospital while I was a resident, and many of the private practice guys I know were spending 60ish or more at workor hospital, depending on their call schedule. Not for me. Liability issues aren't too much different than from a general dentist, but it depends on if you are doing generals in your office, what sort of procedures you do in the hospital etc. The most important thing to think about is probably if you are doing it for the MD-ego thing or not. I probably was in retrospect. Thought I would grow to enjoy a lot of stuff that I knew I didn't dig that much while interviewing. As for the medicine thing, man I have never in my life seen such an unhappy bunch of people as MDs and MD residents and medical students. If you do OMS you will see what I am talking about. Nobody seems to enjoy it. Going to dental school is the best thing you ever did for yourself. Never have seen an unhappy orthodontist............

drPheta said:
Thank you, Wendell, for the moutnain of information. I have a question for all of you interested in OMS. Most of us entered dental school, ranking lifestyle highly on our hierarchy of why we wanted to be dentists. Doesn't pursuing OMS sort of negate that freedom we valued so greatly? In addition, we enjoy the fact that a dentist's malpractice insurance is lower, and they don't have to deal with HMOs and the like. What do you all feel about those thoughts?

I'm curious, because I'm asking myself those same questions. Dentistry is already so great, do I really want to do OMS? It seems as if I should have gone to med school in the first place, and that's part of the reason why I don't have my heart set on OMS just yet... "thank you, I'm just looking for now."

Wendell:

For a 6-year OMFS resident to drop the residency after (s)he earned the MD degree, the program directors must go a-wall. Now, I know situation such as yours has happened often, what do 6-year OMFS programs directors and/or programs do to prevent their residents dropping out after they earn their MDs? Is there a consequence such as paying back tuition? Agree to attend a residency, isn't there a "contract" that you sign?

I'm asking all this is because I heard OMFS residents do this and I just feel bad for the program. When OMFS residents don't pass the USMLE Step 1 and then they get booted, that I understand, but for a great OMFS resident to drop out after (s)he earns their MD degree, that sucks for the program!

I wish you the best of luck with Ortho match and I'm glad you finally realized that OMFS wasn't for you. Again, your co-residents, ex-faculty members, and the program must feel like **** to loose one of their own. I'm sure there are more to meets the eye, but in general, I know OMFS programs must hate when their residents drop.

Thanks for the great info on all the residencies. It's truly great to have upper classmen in OMFS for reference for hopefuls like myself.

TJB
Have you been getting calls for interviews or letters. I haven't heard anything from any programs yet, but my pass application has been super screwed up and i'm hoping that it has been finally resolved so that these schools can make a decision on my application.

BSSO said:
TJB
Have you been getting calls for interviews or letters. I haven't heard anything from any programs yet, but my pass application has been super screwed up and i'm hoping that it has been finally resolved so that these schools can make a decision on my application.

Case Western and Univ. of Florida were calls.
Iowa and Univ. of Michigan were emails.
No letters yet.

I had my PASS submitted fairly early, August 1st. I also sent each of the 23 schools I applied to a packet with a CV, each letter of rec, photo, undergrad/dental trans even though most was included with PASS. I then contacted each program to make sure they had everything they needed.

tjb

A classmate got an interview from Jacksonville today.

tjb

You pay tuition regardless for your MD. They have to expect that some people will drop out, or fail out of medical school. There are no real stopgaps, except for the general surgery year. I just worked my butt off while I was there, and did well enough that the director wrote me a really good letter of recommendation for my ortho application. They didn't want me to go, but we had a good enough relationship that they supported me. The covered my spot within about 4 weeks with a 4 year guy that had already done one year. I told them just before my general surgery year so that they would have a year to find a person, so I did it gently. There is a contract, but they don't really have any discourse if you decide to stop. It did help my case, however, that I wasn't one of the weenies that drops out to do orthopedics, anesthesia, or some other medical specialty. That is almost sickening to have happen.

Yah-E said:
Wendell:

For a 6-year OMFS resident to drop the residency after (s)he earned the MD degree, the program directors must go a-wall. Now, I know situation such as yours has happened often, what do 6-year OMFS programs directors and/or programs do to prevent their residents dropping out after they earn their MDs? Is there a consequence such as paying back tuition? Agree to attend a residency, isn't there a "contract" that you sign?

I'm asking all this is because I heard OMFS residents do this and I just feel bad for the program. When OMFS residents don't pass the USMLE Step 1 and then they get booted, that I understand, but for a great OMFS resident to drop out after (s)he earns their MD degree, that sucks for the program!

I wish you the best of luck with Ortho match and I'm glad you finally realized that OMFS wasn't for you. Again, your co-residents, ex-faculty members, and the program must feel like **** to loose one of their own. I'm sure there are more to meets the eye, but in general, I know OMFS programs must hate when their residents drop.

Thanks for the great info on all the residencies. It's truly great to have upper classmen in OMFS for reference for hopefuls like myself.

THis is getting scary i haven't heard a thing from any programs yet. Anyone else in this boat.

BSSO said:
THis is getting scary i haven't heard a thing from any programs yet. Anyone else in this boat.

Give it a little more time, most programs are just starting to look at applications. I know Pitts interview days for anyone interested. They will be Dec. 6th/13th.

tjb