OMFG Walgreens You Suck

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yeah, I would have been SOL having to pay for my surgery this summer to the tune of 60K. And that was only 3 nights in the hospital. I was only out my OOP 3K.

I have cost my insurer a pretty penny this year, stupid cancer. :(

Wow I know you have the ribbon but I had no idea.

Was the operation to remove a tumor? Was it a success?

Members don't see this ad.

Insurance is the BIGGEST waste of money.

Oh the things that come out of students mouths. Its a big waste of money all right...untill you need it. Its called insurance...you have it in case you need it not because you need it. I hope you don't get cancer or in a car wreck or some other unforeseeable situation. You have insurance to cover things like this. Try paying out of pocket for cancer treatment especially when you are unable to work.

Oh the things that come out of students mouths. Its a big waste of money all right...untill you need it. Its called insurance...you have it in case you need it not because you need it. I hope you don't get cancer or in a car wreck or some other unforeseeable situation. You have insurance to cover things like this. Try paying out of pocket for cancer treatment especially when you are unable to work.
But she never gets sick, so it's a waste! :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)

I once worked at Osco with a pharmacist who didn't carry health insurance, which at the time was $10 a week for a single person, "because I don't need it." In case you are wondering if he was the same guy who would make Medicaid patients wait an hour even if it wasn't busy, and is believed to have spat or urinated in their liquid meds (although not when I was around), you're right.

In other words, karma might someday bite him in the rear end, big time. Healthy people have car accidents, get cancer, etc.

p.s. Many colleges are now requiring that their students have health insurance. The exact plan doesn't matter; they just have to have something. When I was in school, I had a hospitalization-only plan through the school that in the early 1990s was about $400 a year.

I rarely ever get sick enough to visit a doctor either (which I'm thankful for). I do however, appreciate having insurance in case something ever does happen. I certainly can't predict the future, and having that backup could be a lifesaver.

It's better to have it and hope to never use it than not have it and hope you never need it...

Z, how is your daughter doing?

She's fine.. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't necrotizing fasciitis. She's active and runs around outside..and climbs trees and stuff..so who knows.. The rashes aren't angry... unless she scratches them.

She's fine.. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't necrotizing fasciitis. She's active and runs around outside..and climbs trees and stuff..so who knows.. The rashes aren't angry... unless she scratches them.

If it was necrotizing fasciitis, would a little PO Bactrim and some Mupirocin really make any difference? Glad she's ok.

I rarely ever get sick enough to visit a doctor either (which I'm thankful for). I do however, appreciate having insurance in case something ever does happen. I certainly can't predict the future, and having that backup could be a lifesaver.

It's better to have it and hope to never use it than not have it and hope you never need it...

Because I'm currently not working, I have a high deductible policy that would cover me if I was hospitalized. Doctor visits, etc. apply towards the deductible, so I have filed them (I've had a couple) but I can pay the bill without undue hardship.

As for necrotizing fasciitis, that's highly unlikely but sometimes things need to be evaluated and treated quickly. My friend's wife got the next thing to NF from a cat scratch.

I once worked at Osco with a pharmacist who didn't carry health insurance, which at the time was $10 a week for a single person, "because I don't need it." In case you are wondering if he was the same guy who would make Medicaid patients wait an hour even if it wasn't busy, and is believed to have spat or urinated in their liquid meds (although not when I was around), you're right.

In other words, karma might someday bite him in the rear end, big time. Healthy people have car accidents, get cancer, etc.

p.s. Many colleges are now requiring that their students have health insurance. The exact plan doesn't matter; they just have to have something. When I was in school, I had a hospitalization-only plan through the school that in the early 1990s was about $400 a year.

Yep, Touro requires us to have health insurance. Mines expires at the end of the year, so the school just gave us the contacts to sign up for Medicaid.

My parents are self employeed so we lived our entire lifes without insurance. We usually just pay cash when we go see a doctor. I don't ever get sick...I don't know why! lol...so I just go get my annual physical every year and that's about it. The physical itself is cheap so I usually just pay cash.

If you have insurance you can waive out. I prefer not getting insurance until I am 30+...:laugh: too bad the school is forcing me to get it. :rolleyes:

I really need to meet you at some point in my student/pharmacy career.

owlegrad said:
If you know of any insurance that is less than 375 per semester please let me in on it. Pretty please.

a) parents? I think that would cover a majority of the people on this board who attend school right after undergrad in the 22-26 age range, or at least 1/2 of your school.

b) get married to someone w/ insurance. if you're a pretty girl, this could be easy; if not, you might have to slut it up a bit (haha).

c) too late for you, but try to become eligible for insurance via work the year/summer before you start school. I had a friend do this at CVS (you are eligible for bene's @ PT after 40 weeks or something, I dunno). Signed up, got the required physicals, filled the required waiver form, then his coverage lapsed 2 months into school. Saved a grand, but he had to pay for years 2-4.

d) lie on your waiver form and pray you don't get audited (rather, get to know your school's audit policy...what % is audited, associated penalties if you get caught, etc...)

Members don't see this ad :)
If it was necrotizing fasciitis, would a little PO Bactrim and some Mupirocin really make any difference?

You answered your own question.

It's a differential empiric treatment. Because it responded to the treatment, we now know it's not NF.

a) parents? I think that would cover a majority of the people on this board who attend school right after undergrad in the 22-26 age range, or at least 1/2 of your school.

b) get married to someone w/ insurance. if you're a pretty girl, this could be easy; if not, you might have to slut it up a bit (haha).

c) too late for you, but try to become eligible for insurance via work the year/summer before you start school. I had a friend do this at CVS (you are eligible for bene's @ PT after 40 weeks or something, I dunno). Signed up, got the required physicals, filled the required waiver form, then his coverage lapsed 2 months into school. Saved a grand, but he had to pay for years 2-4.

d) lie on your waiver form and pray you don't get audited (rather, get to know your school's audit policy...what % is audited, associated penalties if you get caught, etc...)

a - I wish. My mom doesn't have insurance at either of her two jobs, let alone cover me. Good option for others of course.

b - good advice. ;)

c + d - insureance cards do not have expiration dates so if you wanted to pretend to have insurance there is no need to get even one mounth of coverage. Just use any card that you have ever had. Fine for getting around the school requirement, but not so good if you actually want coverage.

Thanks for the input.

You answered your own question.

It's a differential empiric treatment. Because it responded to the treatment, we now know it's not NF.

Eh. NF progresses so rapidly that if I thought a patient or a loved one or I had it, I wouldn't wait to see if it responded to something else. It's a surgical emergency.

Eh. NF progresses so rapidly that if I thought a patient or a loved one or I had it, I wouldn't wait to see if it responded to something else. It's a surgical emergency.

No chit. But because it was minor rash and responded fairly quickly to abx, it was assuring it's not NF. If there were signs and symptoms of NF, I would have her admitted quickly. And because there's always that chance, I kept a close watch and believe I took the right course.

What is the "next thing" to NF? Some kind of precursor?

IIRC, it was an organism that can cause NF but wasn't called that because she didn't become septic. She was in the hospital on antibiotics for several days, and went home on a PICC line for a couple weeks more. She is an LPN so knew how to manage it, but that's still not something you want to do to yourself.

And they gave the cat away.

IIRC, it was an organism that can cause NF but wasn't called that because she didn't become septic. She was in the hospital on antibiotics for several days, and went home on a PICC line for a couple weeks more. She is an LPN so knew how to manage it, but that's still not something you want to do to yourself.

And they gave the cat away.

Sounds scary. I've known several people who got very sick after cat scratches. If my cats get me, I always clean the scratch right away and apply Neosporin. So far so good.

I have had several friends lately who've had what they thought were spider bites that quickly progressed to MRSA abscesses. Yuck!

They didn't blame the cat at all; they just didn't want it to happen again, plus their children were quite young at the time.

Some years back, a man I once knew who worked as an accountant for the IRS died from NF, and some comedians made jokes about "the IRS agent who died of flesh eating bacteria" when this story got out but I didn't find them funny at all. He wasn't an IRS agent, and even if he was, he didn't deserve this, not to mention leaving two little kids fatherless.

They didn't blame the cat at all; they just didn't want it to happen again, plus their children were quite young at the time.

Some years back, a man I once knew who worked as an accountant for the IRS died from NF, and some comedians made jokes about "the IRS agent who died of flesh eating bacteria" when this story got out but I didn't find them funny at all. He wasn't an IRS agent, and even if he was, he didn't deserve this, not to mention leaving two little kids fatherless.

Yeah, I agree. Not funny at all. Sad and scary.

c + d - insureance cards do not have expiration dates so if you wanted to pretend to have insurance there is no need to get even one mounth of coverage. Just use any card that you have ever had. Fine for getting around the school requirement, but not so good if you actually want coverage.

Thanks for the input.

Oh I was referring to the audit period for getting coverage for a month. Most schools will require the waiver over the summer and will audit ~10% or less to double check right before school starts. If you do the one month thing and get audited, you'll pass (because you have coverage at that moment). If it lapses in October...you're probably in the clear as that campus department won't be auditing. Plus, the punishment is usually getting a hold on your registration, which is useless once classes begin and you're beyond the point of add/drop with the registrar.

YMMV as each campus is different...ah, I miss the random administrative BS & workarounds that I picked up from my old job, even though the above paragraph probably made you :sleep:

As for coverage...you can always drive up to see SHC's physician :smuggrin: she still seems to be alive.

Oh I was referring to the audit period for getting coverage for a month. Most schools will require the waiver over the summer and will audit ~10% or less to double check right before school starts. If you do the one month thing and get audited, you'll pass (because you have coverage at that moment). If it lapses in October...you're probably in the clear as that campus department won't be auditing. Plus, the punishment is usually getting a hold on your registration, which is useless once classes begin and you're beyond the point of add/drop with the registrar.

As for coverage...you can always drive up to see SHC's physician :smuggrin: she still seems to be alive.

At my school proof of coverage comes from giving a photo copy of your insurance card every year. How else can they audit you besides checking to see if you have a card?

At my school proof of coverage comes from giving a photo copy of your insurance card every year. How else can they audit you besides checking to see if you have a card?

man that'd be a piece of cake to counterfit...i'd think an audit would involve getting some sort of proof of coverage from your insurance co (like a legit one from the company to the school). :::shrug:::

man that'd be a piece of cake to counterfit...i'd think an audit would involve getting some sort of proof of coverage from your insurance co (like a legit one from the company to the school). :::shrug:::

Yes it would be quite easy to fake, I think the assumption is most students are honest. :lol:

I crack myself up.

But seriously I think the assumption is most students wouldn't risk getting kicked out over something as stupid as lying about insurance coverage.

I'm pretty sure someone at the school takes that information and calls the insurance company to verify coverage. At least this is what my school does.

I'm pretty sure someone at the school takes that information and calls the insurance company to verify coverage. At least this is what my school does.

man what a waste of time. auditing 10% or less would be much more efficient. state school? sounds like a cushy union job that you can't be fired from :laugh:

Man, those boats must be the kind that come in bottles. :smuggrin:

I mean boots...sorry for the typo...I don't re-read before submitting. :laugh:

But seriously $375 is a lot of money to be throwing away!

R you in the New York City area? Or is that Sparda? We could have met when I use to attend Columbia University.

Oh and to add to you and Owlegrad's conversation. It is not insurance fraud to just list a random insurance company as your own. I randomly added BlueCross as my insurance company for undergrad college. I did it for 4 years and no one checked. I did that for my P1 year in pharmacy school and no one checked either. But now they check. They CALL EVERY SINGLE PERSON'S insurance to make sure it is active. They called mine and it was inactive so they charged me $375 for their insurance. I try to submit it again...they called again...it was still inactive, so they didn't remove my $375 charged. It's no big deal, if your insurance company is inactive (or if you made one up) they will simply just charge you the fee for their insurance company.

The real trouble comes in is when people try to send a forge claim into their insurance company and try to get money. I think thats when you get into trouble for fraud. Saying that you have bluecross as your insurance while you really don't is like saying that Bill Gates is my father...it's a lie but you won't get into trouble for it. :laugh:

It sucks that they started checking EVERYONE'S insurance now. I save so much money not paying for insurance for 5 years! LOL...it's much cheaper to pay by cash on a PRN basis. Why do they even care if I have insurance or pay by cash? it doesn't even effect them. I think they just want to take my money. :/

Oh and to add to you and Owlegrad's conversation. It is not insurance fraud to just list a random insurance company as your own. I randomly added BlueCross as my insurance company for undergrad college. I did it for 4 years and no one checked. I did that for my P1 year in pharmacy school and no one checked either. But now they check. They CALL EVERY SINGLE PERSON'S insurance to make sure it is active. They called mine and it was inactive so they charged me $375 for their insurance. I try to submit it again...they called again...it was still inactive, so they didn't remove my $375 charged. It's no big deal, if your insurance company is inactive (or if you made one up) they will simply just charge you the fee for their insurance company.

The real trouble comes in is when people try to send a forge claim into their insurance company and try to get money. I think thats when you get into trouble for fraud. Saying that you have bluecross as your insurance while you really don't is like saying that Bill Gates is my father...it's a lie but you won't get into trouble for it. :laugh:

It sucks that they started checking EVERYONE'S insurance now. I save so much money not paying for insurance for 5 years! LOL...it's much cheaper to pay by cash on a PRN basis. Why do they even care if I have insurance or pay by cash? it doesn't even effect them. I think they just want to take my money. :/

At my school lying about having insurance would not be considered ok. I don't know if they would kick me out, but I bet I would end up in front of some committee begging to not be. No form of lying is permitted by students and I am shocked - SHOCKED - that your school is so laid back about it.

The requirement is to have insurance. Lying about it will not go unpunished.

At my school lying about having insurance would not be considered ok. I don't know if they would kick me out, but I bet I would end up in front of some committee begging to not be. No form of lying is permitted by students and I am shocked - SHOCKED - that your school is so laid back about it.

The requirement is to have insurance. Lying about it will not go unpunished.

The thing is no one will ever know if you are FLAT OUT lying about your insurance OR if you truely had insurance but your parent's cancel it or you forgot to pay for it or your parent's lost their job and so you no longer have it or whatever....

If someone was to verify your insurance and if was inactive...then it could be anything...maybe your spouse canceled it...it can be anything...just because someone's insurance is inactive doesn't automatically mean they were flat out lying about it. It can be a million things that could have happened.

The thing is no one will ever know if you are FLAT OUT lying about your insurance OR if you truely had insurance but your parent's cancel it or you forgot to pay for it or your parent's lost their job and so you no longer have it or whatever....

If someone was to verify your insurance and if was inactive...then it could be anything...maybe your spouse canceled it...it can be anything...just because someone's insurance is inactive doesn't automatically mean they were flat out lying about it. It can be a million things that could have happened.

But you what you are talking about IS flat out lying and you just admitted it. Are you saying it's not wrong to lie as long as you don't get caught?

But you what you are talking about IS flat out lying and you just admitted it. Are you saying it's not wrong to lie as long as you don't get caught?

Yes, I did lie. :oops: I try not to lie and I will not lie if it hurts someone or if it makes someone lose money. What I did didn't make the insurance company lose money (I never needed insurance in the first place) and I didn't hurt anyone at the insurance company...I was just saving my money while not hurting or making other people lose money so I figure what the heck! But like I say I will never break the law or lie if it hurts someone or make someone lose money etc.

That's true.

But it is the student's responsibility to have insurance. You are right that deception couldn't be proven, but I could still be punished for not complying with the requirement and I am willing to bet I would be (and should be).

That's true.

But it is the student's responsibility to have insurance. You are right that deception couldn't be proven, but I could still be punished for not complying with the requirement and I am willing to bet I would be (and should be).

But how would you even know it? if your parents canceled your insurance or stop paying for it etc...you would NOT even know about it...so why should you be punished?

But how would you even know it? if your parents canceled your insurance or stop paying for it etc...you would NOT even know about it...so why should you be punished?

Your insurance company would let you know. You WOULD know it.

Plus it is my responsibility, so it does not matter what my excuse is.

Your insurance company would let you know. You WOULD know it.

Plus it is my responsibility, so it does not matter what my excuse is.

WTF...so you are telling me that you don't think people have the RIGHT to choose whether or not they want insurance?

I think people should have the right to choose to be a cash paying patient or an insurance paying patient. But I am also very liberal in everything else too. LOL....

Just curious, what's your take on malpractice insurance? I would hope to never use it but I certainly wouldn't consider it useless, and I'm assuming your school makes you get that too...

WTF...so you are telling me that you don't think people have the RIGHT to choose whether or not they want insurance?

I think people should have the right to choose to be a cash paying patient or an insurance paying patient. But I am also very liberal in everything else too. LOL....

I never said anything like that.

My only point was that I don't think my school would be as laid back as yours towards lying about it. Nor do I think they should be.

Just curious, what's your take on malpractice insurance? I would hope to never use it but I certainly wouldn't consider it useless, and I'm assuming your school makes you get that too...

Malpractice insurance is important, especially if you are an MD. I don't know about malpractice insurance for pharmacists. Insurance is usful if you have a chance of using it. I will get health insurance when I am 30+, planning to have a child, or whatever. Right now my chances of using insurance is the same as my chances of winning the 250 million dollar lottery...yes it could happen but it won't.

I never said anything like that.

My only point was that I don't think my school would be as laid back as yours towards lying about it. Nor do I think they should be.

If the school could PROVE someone was flat out lying about their insurance then they could punish the person...but again, since they can't prove it and it could be a million causes they really can't do anything about it.

Kinda like if someone stole your wallet but you don't know who it was...nothing you can do about it.

Right now my chances of using insurance is the same as my chances of winning the 250 million dollar lottery...yes it could happen but it won't.

Wow. I hope that karma doesn't come around and slap you upside the head with a statement that bold.

Malpractice insurance is important, especially if you are an MD. I don't know about malpractice insurance for pharmacists. Insurance is usful if you have a chance of using it. I will get health insurance when I am 30+, planning to have a child, or whatever. Right now my chances of using insurance is the same as my chances of winning the 250 million dollar lottery...yes it could happen but it won't.

dang you never think about accidents and stuff?

I'm 24 and If i think about it for a bit, i can say i've probably accrued at LEAST $150,000 (perhaps $200,000) in medical bills so far in life (couple hospital stays have costed $20,000-$50,000 each). Thank god for INSURANCE , right?

then again i am accident prone and have chronic conditions.

but still even if you've never had a hospital stay, doesnt mean it couldnt happen tommorow.

If the school could PROVE someone was flat out lying about their insurance then they could punish the person...but again, since they can't prove it and it could be a million causes they really can't do anything about it.

Kinda like if someone stole your wallet but you don't know who it was...nothing you can do about it.

Sorry SHC but you are wrong. The responsibility is to have insurance. If you do not have insurance you will be punished accordingly. Of course if they prove you are lying that would only make it worse. But they don't need to prove deception, it is your responsibility to insurance, period.

It's the same as any other requirement. You must have it, they don't care about any excuss. And if they prove deception on top of not meeting the requirement that only makes it worse.

Wow. I hope that karma doesn't come around and slap you upside the head with a statement that bold.

Well I have insurance now since the school forced me to pay for it so I should be fine...but I really doubt I will ever use it.

dang you never think about accidents and stuff?

I'm 24 and If i think about it for a bit, i can say i've probably accrued at LEAST $150,000 (perhaps $200,000) in medical bills so far in life (couple hospital stays have costed $20,000-$50,000 each). Thank god for INSURANCE , right?

then again i am accident prone and have chronic conditions.

but still even if you've never had a hospital stay, doesnt mean it couldnt happen tommorow.

$200,000??? Damn what happened?

But if I had a chronic condition I would know to get insurance...especially if it was a severe one...

My most expensive medical expenses are braces ($5000) and getting my wisdom teeth removed ($2000)...but I doubt any insurance cover braces...maybe wisdom teeth though....But we just paid cash for it. It was kinda expensive now that I think about it. LOL...

Sorry SHC but you are wrong. The responsibility is to have insurance. If you do not have insurance you will be punished accordingly. Of course if they prove you are lying that would only make it worse. But they don't need to prove deception, it is your responsibility to insurance, period.

It's the same as any other requirement. You must have it, they don't care about any excuss. And if they prove deception on top of not meeting the requirement that only makes it worse.

I do NOT think it should be a student's responsibitity to get insurance though...I think it should be a choice. If I want to pay cash for all my visits, I have the right to.