Old school biomechanics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1138023

How often do you use old school biomechanics in your practice? If you need me to define it let me know. But do you ever bust out the goniometer?

I feel like as we transitioned into 3 year surgery residencies we lost some of the focus on biomechanics. Is a lot of what we learn in school in regards to biomechanics just not important though in modern practice?

Members don't see this ad.

I feel biomechanics will always matter to an extent as it applies to surgery and certain obvious clinical conditions, but yah wound care has sort of taken over what many would have called voodoo biomechanics and how it applied to orthotics in most practices.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I'm going to rack up serious mustache points here, but I find a thorough biomechanical exam is really helpful for deconstructing pathomechanics. If you work efficiently, it takes 5 min. I use a goniometer for coronal plane deformities. I think it makes a difference primarily for forefoot posting. Biomechanics is also useful in your flatfoot surgical workup. You can put a number on your forefoot supinatus. You can quantify the excursion of the STJ or if it's rigid.

I know, goniometer is imprecise and probably user dependent. Reminds me of an IM joke, how do you percuss the span of the liver? Using two hands, order an ultrasound in your EHR. RIP physical exam

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
We have to remember that a lot of biomech is subjective.

Does it apply? Yeah.
Is it exact? Not at all.

So, we have to recognize that planus pain or planus + heel pain needs functional insole. Cavus with sub 1 and 5 overload needs more accommodation arch fill insole. Forefoot overload stuff (neuroma, metatarasalgia, etc) needs gastroc stretch and met pads. Anterior ankle pain needs gastroc stretch if no osseous block.

The main utility of knowing normal biomech is mostly to recognize the real abnormal stuff (coalitions, pathologically cavus or planus foot types, etc). Gait plate or reverse for intoe or wide angle of gait. Heel lift for symptomatic limb length. Most ulcers are due to neuropathy + a biomech fault such as equnius, malleus, lateral overload... and calluses are absolutely pre-ulcers for neuropathic pts. We have to know the non-op and surgical fixes. That is also why we should know that things like Chopart and 3+4+5th ray amps and the like are hot garbage. That stuff.

As to whether PureStride or full customs are better for most run-of-the-mill plantar fasciitis, PTTD, etc... who knows. I think the customs can be definitely more durable, but that's seldom needed. If it's a rockin cavus foot or a post-ulcer/amp or a s/p calc STJ fx... then yeah, that's a Rx for the custom shop, no doubt.

I think we can retire the Harris Mat, goniometer, RCSP quantification, etc... but that's each DPM's choice. It's basically common sense. Gait exam and WB clinical exam have their obvious place in certain cases.

...and even if we basically know the dx and our plan from XR or HPI, I am always going to be pretty convinced that a solid physical exam builds rapport with the patients, shows attentiveness, builds trust, gives impression of a thorough visit, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
My eyeball is my goniometer. It's how I do my cooking and carpentry. Yup that looks about right, nope needs more salt, oops took too much bone...

Reactions: 6 users
The only time I’ve found a use for a goniometer in the last 5 years was to set up and set cartridge angles on my new record player I got myself for Xmas.

I feel like when you’re post-studenthood you can recognize equinus or hind foot varus/valgus without using a goniometer on it.

But yes, old school biomechanics definitely matter, though sometimes it’s more subjective… not all poor biomechanics are pathology.

Reactions: 1 user
Screenshot_20230422_085114.jpg

For anyone not doing anything on a Saturday morning. We could make a drinking game out of it.

• Care
  • Haha
I would rather watch paint dry.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
I love a good MSK exam. I do not use goniometers.

For every problem I treat - even problems that I believe will ultimately be resolved with conservative therapy - I ask myself - what would be the possible definitive surgical treatment for this patient if everything we do fails. I don't understand at all people who separate the foot into "medicine" and "surgery" or "biomechanics" and "surgery".

I don't understand at all people who separate the foot into "medicine" and "surgery" or "biomechanics" and "surgery".

I think you do understand these people. They don’t have a clue as to what they are doing. Call sign of the TFP.

I think biomechanics should at a minimum a discussion on deformity and its correction. When it’s all outdated root biomechanics while at the same time they’re touting us to be surgically trained, I was checked out and stopped caring about “biomechanics”. Teach us something relevant please

Biomechanics is like chiropractic in that you can use it for a narrow subsection of diagnoses (flat/cavus foot) or you can make pseudoscientific claims about it like orthotics will make your bunions go away or it will alleviate your knee arthritis and back pain or it can cure your diabetic neuropathy--all claims I have seen other pods make

Members don't see this ad :)
Biomechanics is like chiropractic in that you can use it for a narrow subsection of diagnoses (flat/cavus foot) or you can make pseudoscientific claims about it like orthotics will make your bunions go away or it will alleviate your knee arthritis and back pain or it can cure your diabetic neuropathy--all claims I have seen other pods make

Like the balance brace?

Like the balance brace?

One study... 44 patients... Adherence and acceptability toward wearing the AFO were assessed using self-reported questionnaires at the 6-month follow-up.

We have to remember that a lot of biomech is subjective.

Does it apply? Yeah.
Is it exact? Not at all.

So, we have to recognize that planus pain or planus + heel pain needs functional insole. Cavus with sub 1 and 5 overload needs more accommodation arch fill insole. Forefoot overload stuff (neuroma, metatarasalgia, etc) needs gastroc stretch and met pads. Anterior ankle pain needs gastroc stretch if no osseous block.

The main utility of knowing normal biomech is mostly to recognize the real abnormal stuff (coalitions, pathologically cavus or planus foot types, etc). Gait plate or reverse for intoe or wide angle of gait. Heel lift for symptomatic limb length. Most ulcers are due to neuropathy + a biomech fault such as equnius, malleus, lateral overload... and calluses are absolutely pre-ulcers for neuropathic pts. We have to know the non-op and surgical fixes. That is also why we should know that things like Chopart and 3+4+5th ray amps and the like are hot garbage. That stuff.

As to whether PureStride or full customs are better for most run-of-the-mill plantar fasciitis, PTTD, etc... who knows. I think the customs can be definitely more durable, but that's seldom needed. If it's a rockin cavus foot or a post-ulcer/amp or a s/p calc STJ fx... then yeah, that's a Rx for the custom shop, no doubt.

I think we can retire the Harris Mat, goniometer, RCSP quantification, etc... but that's each DPM's choice. It's basically common sense. Gait exam and WB clinical exam have their obvious place in certain cases.

...and even if we basically know the dx and our plan from XR or HPI, I am always going to be pretty convinced that a solid physical exam builds rapport with the patients, shows attentiveness, builds trust, gives impression of a thorough visit, etc.
Does achilles stretching actually ever do anything or is it just a dogma we use every day in clinic.
Has anyone ever actually seen an achilles stretch out?
I havent. Never. Not once.
Im pretty sure its just a thing we do/say.
Kinda like how radiologists have to point out a plantar heel spur. Something to talk about.

I may have posted something similar in the past. I cant remember.

I hate the balance brace. When I started out, I was seeing <10 pts/day and my boss had me cold call pts for "fall risk assessments" during which I would do gait analysis and cast people for a brace.

The labor involved in casting these patients is back-breaking. As one should expect from pts at risk for falls, they had horrible mobility. I had to get down on my knees then roll sts socks up their legs and they would not sit still. Then I had to box up and ship the damn casts, luckily AZ AFO gave us labels.

When the AFOs got in, strapping them in and fitting them into pt's shoe was nearly impossible. They're bulky AF. AZ AFO's solution is to make the doc buy the patient special shoes that will fit the AFOs and dispense them together. Yeah right...

And when all's said and done, pts don't like them, they don't feel like they do anything and some feel like they're more unsteady with the brace than without it! Plus I got audited on just about every brace I made, luckily my documentation was tight.

From my research on the subject, the most useful fall risk intervention is prescribing PT for pts who are deconditioned. So I accidentally helped a lot of people with all the PT I prescribed.

Does achilles stretching actually ever do anything or is it just a dogma we use every day in clinic.
Kinda like how radiologists have to point out a plantar heel spur. Something to talk about.

As a former plantar fasciitis sufferer, stretching helped me a ton. (Long story how I got it to begin with) Being relatively young helps, your body can repair the chronic fasciopathy. Anyone >50 years old will not heal the same.

I have no idea if it works for fasciitis, metatarsalgia, neuroma. I think most ppl just dont do it. You can def temporarily improve ankle dorsiflex with yoga, pilates, runner stretching. etc. I think it's worth it in active ppl... explain stretch basics, handout, maybe PT rx for it.

I think we're kidding ourselves out the morbidly obese, unhealthy, etc who don't even know where the gym is. Agree totally.

...Where stretch/PT always seems to shine is post op. I put most of my Achilles ruptures in 0-5deg plantarflex, more if I don't have the length. Gastrocs and TALs for flatfoot, cavus, TMAs etc also... even plantar fasciotomy... they definitely stretch out and gain dorsiflex ROM.

The achilles doesn’t stretch. But there is plenty of literature on static stretches increasing “stretch tolerance,” which is a pretty good way of describing to patients how stretching actually works. When you stretch you aren’t increasing length of a tendon or muscle fibers themselves. You are essentially teaching the muscles, nerves, CNS that it is “ok” to keep going. I tell patients they generally have the ability to go further from a range of motion standpoint but the nerves innervating muscle spindles are telling the brain and the muscles to stop. Static stretching can absolutely teach those nerves not to send that pain and “stop” signal to the brain which increases ROM/flexibility. The trick is doing it correctly and most people dont. At least not prior to the appointment with you.

I know we all want to keep this thread podiometric....but is anyone here doing gastroc lengthening for PF? Or other isolated gastrocs for foot pain?

Studies showing a short term (6 weeks) stretching regimen of Achilles improves equinus :

▫Konrad et al (2014) – increase in 6 degrees over 6 weeks
▫Nakamura et al (2012) - 6.7 degrees
▫Mahieu et al (2007) – Increase in 2.6 degrees
▫Guissard et al (2004) – 7.6 degrees

Even for the elderly it works

▪Johnson et al (2007):
▫13 patients all in mid-80s
▫Pre DF = -11.1°
▫Post DF = 1.2 °

A few minutes of stretching daily works just as good as holding it for a long time.
Radford, et al (2006):
▪≤ 15 minutes = 2.09 degree increase
▪15 – 30 minutes = 3.30 degrees
▪≥ 30 minute = 2.49 degrees

A study by Evans in 2006 shows Nightsplints actually work as well if used
6 out of 20 patients were able to reach 10 degrees of dorsiflexion after use of night splints ranging from six weeks to one year

And anecdotally for me it works. If I don't stretch I'll get a flare up of Achilles tendonitis, I start stretching again and I don't think about it for months.

I know we all want to keep this thread podiometric....but is anyone here doing gastroc lengthening for PF? Or other isolated gastrocs for foot pain?
For the rare occasion I'll do a PF release I will always do a GR. Also for a TMA I'll do one, and if a patient is still having pain after Achilles tendon repair.

I can get behind the concept of a GR for PF in patients with significant gastroc equinus. But, possibly my biggest Healthcare dollar waster, in pts with recalcitrant PF or symptoms not responsive to typical treatments I'll routinely get a pre-op MRI/US to confirm the diagnosis/evaluate PF thickening.

I think of it akin to cutting out a diseased PT insertion while doing an FDL transfer. If the PF is diseased, it makes more sense to release it to me.

My biggest waster is insertional Achilles tendinitis. Pretty much it sucks and patients are too anxious to wait it out. Numerous studies suggest eccentric exercises / PT. Most people just want a quick fix and I just have to toss them in a boot

My biggest waster is fungal toenails

• Haha
My biggest waster is insertional Achilles tendinitis. Pretty much it sucks and patients are too anxious to wait it out. Numerous studies suggest eccentric exercises / PT. Most people just want a quick fix and I just have to toss them in a boot
I just treated my first Achilles tendinopathy case with an Allard AFO. They're premolded for dorsiflexory assistance. The idea is that the device promotes eccentric muscle loading to rehab the tendon. They fit into normal shoes and the company claims they have Olympic athletes training/competing with them (probably paid endorsements). But this means they can still work their normal job while the tendon is braced--no FMLA forms.

It's a really slick device, a lot of my stroke victims have them already. Reimbursement is quite good also, which means I may have more audits in my future if I dispense more of them. Could be our next golden egg laying goose that we all kill.

I do gastroc with probably half plantar fasciotomy, based on exam. Nearly all flatfoot, nearly all TMA, some bunion/forefoot, a good amount of metatarsalgia (neuroma, sub 2nd pain, etc). Some Haglund repairs. A lot of Achilles ruptures. Cavus and Charcot and some amps usually need TAL.

Don't do bilateral gastroc (in one sitting, in sensate pt). I got busy and figured that'd be a fine idea since "it's just soft tissue." It's not. Live and learn.

For the record I asked about isolated gastrocs, not the importance of doing one with a TMA or flatfoot recon...I am not a TFP

For the record I asked about isolated gastrocs, not the importance of doing one with a TMA or flatfoot recon...I am not a TFP
Its pretty clearly only my post ops from others statements in the past on here.
But I avoid gastrocs due to the dreaded sural neuritis.
Lengthening that calf stretches that nerve! Cant convince me otherwise.
Seen it multiple times.
I avoid them unless absolutely necessary.

Prior to leaving my last employment one of the last cases I did was a GR for chronic PF.
Tried everything conservative and I was this patients 4th off 5th provider treating her.
Did a Baumann. Medial approach. Visualized the gastroc tendon in entirety. Did not over extend the blade to the area of the sural. I was absolutley in the correct plane. Pretty awesome correction of the equinus.
Pain 100% resolved but lost feeling to the lateral mallelus and lateral foot.
"Its just numb Dr. Numb as numb can be"
"But my heel pain is gone"
I am not sure if that numbness ever went away. I left the practice about 3 months after her surgery.
She w was happy to trade pain for numbness but as a provider I was not happy.

My residency did isolated gastrocs. I reviewed our results. I wasn't impressed. Now I've written that before but I want to clarify more. Without a truly focused history - hard to truly describe. For example, my MA in a post-op writes down any complaints a patient has. They routinely describe some sort of limited discomfort but when I see the patient them they tell me its great or that the pain they described was a 1 time event and that otherwise they are pain-free or whatever. When I reviewed the gastroc notes the patients were essentially still saying - the pain is still there to the attending. Perhaps if we had taken detailed histories we would have found the pain had gone from an 8 to a 4. Perhaps we simply didn't follow them long enough - I didn't attempt to standardize the follow-ups. I was essentially looking for "meat" and curious to see our outcomes and the results weren't encouraging enough. We routinely kept patients in a boot till 6 weeks and had a follow-up once they got out. That's dramatically longer and more follow-up than my plantar fascial release patients. More on that below.

We didn't do isolated plantar fascial releases. In fact, we wouldn't do cheilectomies. And we did lapidus on small bunions.

I literally read Podiatry Today and old PI Institute articles and started doing medial instep plantar fascial releases with immediate same day weight-bearing in a post-op shoe and sutures out at 11 days. Bilateral if desired (but that will be more painful). Wish I had the guts to do them in clinic. I'm not claiming I don't have complications ie. pain that moves around. However, by comparison - the results for me are dramatically more positive than my gastroc only results. Patients routinely describe at the 1st visit "knowing" the surgery worked. The pain is only in the incision itself, the deep pain is gone etc. I'm routinely discharging at the 2nd visit with the patient already back at work. I'm very clear with the patient - I want them to come back if it isn't working, I have more to offer them, etc

And if you've had a gastrocnemius recession complication - they suck. They don't normally have wound complications and they seldom get infected. But a patient with sural neuritis will not stop talking about it and if they "lengthen" - step wrong, etc the discomfort and swelling doubles the recovery. Every patient who has stepped in a hole, heard it pop, etc complaints for at least another 6 weeks.

A gastrocnemius recession felt so much more pretentious. I'm addressing the root cause. I'm changing the biomechanics of their foot. I'm the only podiatrist in town who can do this. If they'd gone somewhere else they'd have been offered the wrong thing. Only TFPs cut something that functions and maintains the foot. Except plantar fascial release works, resolves pain more reliably, gets people walking again much faster, back to work faster, and has fewer less debilitating complications.

Still bought a shockwave though.

Except plantar fascial release works, resolves pain more reliably, gets people walking again much faster, back to work faster, and has fewer less debilitating complications.

Still bought a shockwave though.
What are your thoughts on destabilizing the windlass mech and CC joint pain?

I dont do p fascial releases because I have had a ton of other providers patients in my office with chronic pain post release.

Neuralgia, hammertoe development, lateral column pain. Seen it plenty of times. It doesnt happen week 1 after release but usually 3-5 years after release (well neuralgia is probably a day 1 complication).

I know the answer is "only cut the medial 1/3" but its usually a guestimate (unless w the scope - still easy to over lengthen) and even then I think patients can get problems.

Im not sure if its any better than a gastroc release. Both have problems. But I dont think its as risk free as written.

I have had zero issues with topaz procedure on chronic fasciitis and is usually my go to.

Getting Topaz covered in the OR is the issue. Has to be an unlisted CPT code meaning no reimbursemment. Unless billed as a p fascial release which is not what youre doing.

- -
Also cheilectomies work! You just have to set expectations. 10 years max before pain returns but much quicker recovery. 2 weeks vs 6-8 for fusion. I tell all cheilectomy patients that they are kicking the can down the road but it sometimes is a long road.

1. I only do in-step releases. Faster and more accurate to get medial and central band. Also I find taking out a wedge is better than just a simple cut.

2. Only two ways a cheilectomy fails: --- forget to take enough bone or do it in a patient with a dorsiflexed 1st ray. If it doesnt move on the table, it aint moving post op

I dont do p fascial releases because I have had a ton of other providers patients in my office with chronic pain post release.

Neuralgia, hammertoe development, lateral column pain. Seen it plenty of times. It doesnt happen week 1 after release but usually 3-5 years after release (well neuralgia is probably a day 1 complication).

I know the answer is "only cut the medial 1/3" but its usually a guestimate (unless w the scope - still easy to over lengthen) and even then I think patients can get problems.

Im not sure if its any better than a gastroc release. Both have problems. But I dont think its as risk free as written.

I have had zero issues with topaz procedure on chronic fasciitis and is usually my go to.

Getting Topaz covered in the OR is the issue. Has to be an unlisted CPT code meaning no reimbursemment. Unless billed as a p fascial release which is not what youre doing.

- -
Also cheilectomies work! You just have to set expectations. 10 years max before pain returns but much quicker recovery. 2 weeks vs 6-8 for fusion. I tell all cheilectomy patients that they are kicking the can down the road but it sometimes is a long road.
I don't think plantar fascial release is risk free, I just think the complications I see from it are substantially less debilitating than the complications of gastrocnemius recession. I wasn't getting plantar fasciitis resolved with gastrocnemius recession - this is working. If you take a patient to an operating room - if you incur "operating type expenses" - the problem has to resolve or the patient is going to go elsewhere.

I had a long stretch of time where I didn't have a single patient with plantar fasciitis need surgery and I viewed it as a point of pride. My conservative therapy path with shoes, stretching, orthotics, oral medication, 2+ injections, 2 months of PT etc - drags on for probably 6 months and works most of the time. My hope with shockwave is for it to be even more effective.

Treating plantar fasciitis - even when its difficult or unsuccessful - doesn't bother me except for the patients who won't do anything in between. 2 shots in but doing zero stretching and still in hey dudes. Ugh.

I don't think plantar fascial release is risk free, I just think the complications I see from it are substantially less debilitating than the complications of gastrocnemius recession. I wasn't getting plantar fasciitis resolved with gastrocnemius recession - this is working. If you take a patient to an operating room - if you incur "operating type expenses" - the problem has to resolve or the patient is going to go elsewhere.

I had a long stretch of time where I didn't have a single patient with plantar fasciitis need surgery and I viewed it as a point of pride. My conservative therapy path with shoes, stretching, orthotics, oral medication, 2+ injections, 2 months of PT etc - drags on for probably 6 months and works most of the time. My hope with shockwave is for it to be even more effective.

Treating plantar fasciitis - even when its difficult or unsuccessful - doesn't bother me except for the patients who won't do anything in between. 2 shots in but doing zero stretching and still in hey dudes. Ugh.
But they only wore those shoes today because they are easy to get off.
x1000
:rofl:

Reactions: 6 users
For the record I asked about isolated ...
Isolated? That means only one CPT code. One.

What are we doing here, working at a VA? Trying to donate volunteer time? Wouldn't that be better at Shriners Hospital?

If I'm going up to OR and putting in orders and changing scrubs and missing clinic and doing a dictation, there will be multiple CPTs. :)

• Haha
  • Care
Reactions: 5 users
Topaz is pretty dang easy and effective.
Isolated? That means only one CPT code. One.

What are we doing here, working at a VA? Trying to donate volunteer time? Wouldn't that be better at Shriners Hospital?

If I'm going up to OR and putting in orders and changing scrubs and missing clinic and doing a dictation, there will be multiple CPTs. :)
@ExperiencedDPM

- -
[Knocks on wood]

So far in 7ish years have not seen, at least follow up complaints, of lateral column pain, neuritis, worsening HTs. After doing them about every way possible for the first 1-2 years, I do exclusively do epfs now. Pretty minimally invasive, fast and allows visualization of all 3 bands. Probably 6-10 per year.

Aside from a couple incision healing issues (medial incision when supine) I also haven't had any major complications with Strayers either. Probably 20-35 per year.

Maybe I'm just lucky.

Edit: the one thing I have seen a handful of times, typically in heavier patients, Following PF is some transient PTTD in the short term. Typically improves with some PT.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
View attachment 369862

For anyone not doing anything on a Saturday morning. We could make a drinking game out of it.
"pronation" = sip your beer
"subtalar joint neutral" = two sips
anyone complains that residents are only required to perform 75 biomechanical exams = shotgun your beer
Shavelson mentions the "vault of the foot" = tequila shot
anyone claims to have cured something nonpodiatric/non-MSK with orthotics (e.g. peripheral neuropathy, knee arthritis, overactive bladder) = tequila shot

• Love