Old pod words/phrases that get on my nerves...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Scrantonicity

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I was just thinking as I was doing my notes for the day...why do we use some of these phrases? They get on my nerves but I still use them--I guess they were engraved into my brain during school/training.

"there are no gross deformities" Why not say, "there are no deformities"?
"Peeling/scaling is in a moccasin like distribution" Who the hell wears moccasins? Can we just say "entire plantar surface of the foot is peeling/scaling"?
"patient wearing appropriate shoe gear". What the hell is shoe gear? Can we just say shoes?

I thought I had more examples when I started this thread 2 minutes ago, but those are 3 examples off the top of my head. These phrases are all over my notes. Anyone else? What other weird archaic phrases/words do we still use?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 6 users
I never thought about this but you are 100% right. Now I'M annoyed lol.
All of the above I commonly document!

Lol I say all 3

Members don't see this ad :)
"there are no gross deformities" Why not say, "there are no deformities"?

This is the only one I have an answer for. It's a CYA thing. What happens when patient has a subtle deformity that you can't see clinically, or you don't feel like documenting their very mild hammertoes, or subtle planus or cavus foot? You say that there are no "obvious" (ie gross) deformities. There could be a significant difference between saying there are no deformities, period, versus no blatant deformities. So I guess you can substitute "obvious" or "blatant" for "gross," but the latter is shorter so it kind of defeats your point.

I'm just arguing for arguments sake...

What about "appreciated" or "noted" or "visualized" at the end of every statement?

Reactions: 3 users
Skin normal texture, turgor

Reactions: 1 users
Tenuously connected. Things patients say (cause of old podiatrists)
-My old podiatrist/chiropractor told me I had a limb length discrepancy.
-I can't wear those shoes - my podiatrist told me I had a narrow heel.
-You forgot to grind my nails (oh, I didn't forget)

Reactions: 1 user
The surgical site was flushed COPIOUSLY with sterile saline. When in life would you ever use the word copiously other than an op report?

Although off topic, every time I strapped a foot in practice (the famous low-dye) I ALWAYS immediately had this song run through my mind.

Oh lord, my patients were stuck in a low-dye again.......

My former director - "you irrigate a wound, you flush a toilet".

I think this was from Boffeli (may be misremembering) - "Deh-Bride walks down the aisle, you Deh-Breed a wound".

• Haha
Members don't see this ad :)
Okay, this topic is worth logging in for...

I now use plain language in my notes mostly because of "shoe gear." That's been a peeve since I first heard it. There's no such thing as "shoe gear." There's the term "footwear," which most people recognize, but "shoe gear???" GTFO!

"Pedal" when you mean "feet." A pedal is what I step on. It doesn't make it better to pronounce it "peetuhl."

"Digital" when you mean "toe." "Digital" is what people understand as "not analog."

"Epicritic sensation." Is it the year 1905 again?

"Utilized" as in "a 15 blade was utilized." Just say "used."

Reactions: 2 users
NatCh uses nothing but emojis in his notes

"Patient complains of painter fashionitis, LOL. Severity is :rage:. First step out of bed has her ROTF not L."

• Haha
"Sonnimeters" aka, "centimeters."

LisFRONK
DebreedMONT

I can literally feel my temporal artery twitching everytime I hear the above :bored:

And cicatrix :dead:...just say scar, maybe add hypertrophic/keloid.

Sanguination

No you saw blood on the dressing. I am ok with exsanguinated.

"Vah-Sawl's" principle when pronounced as if vassal is a name. There is no person named that. A vassal is a feudal term for a holder of land or in this case the term for interdependent fracture reduction.

I decided that from now on I will do my charting not only with emojis, but also with memes:

"Doc, my Vicodin bottle tipped over and they all went down the drain. Can I get a refill?"

sideeyechloe.jpg

"It's really stiff in the morning."

B01KbFX.gif

25 minutes spent with patient with over 50% of that time involved in direct patient counselling and review of treatment options and discussing that moccasin type sandals are not appropriate footwear!

• Haha

LOL! Duly noted. I guess we'd better keep the moccasins in our notes after all. Apparently it's still the shoe gear that is copiously utilized in modern times.

LOL! Duly noted. I guess we'd better keep the moccasins in our notes after all. Apparently it's still the shoe gear that is copiously utilized in modern times.

At least they don't irritate my cicatrix.

I had to log on again just to add to this old thread...

In an online lecture this weekend I was reminded of another wonderful term from our field: "Substrate." As in, "the metatarsal heads fall below the substrate."

What's wrong with "ground" or "floor?"

I had to log on again just to add to this old thread...

In an online lecture this weekend I was reminded of another wonderful term from our field: "Substrate." As in, "the metatarsal heads fall below the substrate."

What's wrong with "ground" or "floor?"

Podiometric level 8

Non operative repair has to be PERFECT protocol to get a good outcome. Most patients can’t follow directions

I just don't appreciate arguments essentially to emotion being made at what are supposed to be evidence-driven events. I went to something semi recently where they passed the mic around to like five dudes and they all said the in my hands and what would you do for your kid line. It was just nauseating.

I also personally participated in two open repairs that became infected. I say that not in some way to shift your opinion away from what you do. The big influence it had on me is that my preoperative discussion where I sign people up really hits hard on complications.

I also personally participated in two open repairs that became infected. I say that not in some way to shift your opinion away from what you do. The big influence it had on me is that my preoperative discussion where I sign people up really hits hard on complications.

I'm still all PTSD from one I did last year that got infected. Brrrrrr.

I just don't appreciate arguments essentially to emotion being made at what are supposed to be evidence-driven events. I went to something semi recently where they passed the mic around to like five dudes and they all said the in my hands and what would you do for your kid line. It was just nauseating.

No emotion involved. Have you ever looked at a non operative protocol for achilles tendon tears? It's pretty specific and detailed. Can your patients follow these directions? Mine can barely read and just wants narcotics. So yeah I probably would never entertain it for my patient population