OK, who just certified and submitted their ERAS app online?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Rad onc is no joke - I feel like a slacker now for applying to "only" 25 programs -

My only "backup" is my prelim year, if things don't work out I will re-apply to rad onc. The notion of doing FP or outpatient IM for the rest of my life makes me want to stab myself in the head.

Blade28 said:
As many as possible. :) I'm flying from Hawaii, though, so it's going to cost a lot. :( (Hopefully I can group together all my West Coast interviews into one trip, and ditto for the East Coast programs I applied to.)

I'm just worried because General Surgery got so competitive last year...I think apps were up 20% (probably due to the new 80-hour workweek limitations).

My chairman who is a bigshot on the east coast said the quality of applicants did not change even though the numbers went up. He feels it was an effect of the 80 hour work week but that effect may be weaker this year. People are finding out that even though the number of hours in the hospital have decreased the amount of work in that time has increased. We have to face facts surgery will never be a lifestyle field.

jmattwilson said:
My chairman who is a bigshot on the east coast said the quality of applicants did not change even though the numbers went up. He feels it was an effect of the 80 hour work week but that effect may be weaker this year. People are finding out that even though the number of hours in the hospital have decreased the amount of work in that time has increased. We have to face facts surgery will never be a lifestyle field.

I've heard similar things. Agreed, surgery is never going to be "cushy," and you're going to have to work your butt off whether you're a resident, fellow or attending.

Still I agree with you blade. It is better to apply to more than enough programs just to be safe. I am applying to 10 extra programs I hadnt initially considered. It will definately be interesting to see how the number of match participants increases/decreases in every field.

Yup. Out of my 67 apps, I'm hoping to get 10-15 interview invites, and attend maybe 10 of them. (More, if I can somehow schedule them close together, like bunch all the West Coast ones together, and all the East Coast ones together.)

Blade28 said:
Yup. Out of my 67 apps, I'm hoping to get 10-15 interview invites, and attend maybe 10 of them. (More, if I can somehow schedule them close together, like bunch all the West Coast ones together, and all the East Coast ones together.)

Are you aware that this country has a middle? :p
Are all of your programs on the coasts? Just curious.

Amy said:

Here, Here!! I get the feeling a lot of people on this site "forget" there's a whole lot between California and New York!

So what are the top tier midwest programs besides mayo, southwestern, u chicago, u mich, and wash univ st louis?

btw, how far back did you guys go regarding volunteer activities...did you include the volunteer hours you did at the hospital during undergrad....what about other undergrad volunteering not directly associated with medicine?

Amy said:

OK, maybe I should clarify then. :) I'm applying to Hawaii, most of the West Coast, and most of the East Coast. I'm ALSO applying to Chicago, Las Vegas, Phoenix, Denver, DC, and Atlanta. Happy? :)

Jamezuva said:
btw, how far back did you guys go regarding volunteer activities...did you include the volunteer hours you did at the hospital during undergrad....what about other undergrad volunteering not directly associated with medicine?

I only included work experience from undergrad...otherwise, all med school activities/research/etc.

fourthyearmed said:
Here, Here!! I get the feeling a lot of people on this site "forget" there's a whole lot between California and New York!

There's stuff between California and New York?

Blade28 said:
OK, maybe I should clarify then. :) I'm applying to Hawaii, most of the West Coast, and most of the East Coast. I'm ALSO applying to Chicago, Las Vegas, Phoenix, Denver, DC, and Atlanta. Happy? :)

Haha, I'm applying to programs in EVERY city you mentioned (except Honolulu... tempting, but I just can't see living THAT far away from EVERYTHING). Maybe we'll run into eachother on the interview trail. :D

Amy said:
Haha, I'm applying to programs in EVERY city you mentioned (except Honolulu... tempting, but I just can't see living THAT far away from EVERYTHING). Maybe we'll run into eachother on the interview trail. :D

:D That's pretty amazing! But hey, what can I say, those are pretty desirable cities to live in.

Blade28 said:

Howmuch did 67 apps cost or will I cringe?

jmattwilson said:
Howmuch did 67 apps cost or will I cringe?

I applied to 25 and found it quite expensive

I may be losing my mind, but I coulda swore that I read that you were able to edit your personal statement and such after you submitted it to programs, as long as it wasn't downloaded yet. When I click on it, it doesn't give me the option to change it....good thing I proofread it to make sure it was "flawless" :mad:

Jamezuva said:
I may be losing my mind, but I coulda swore that I read that you were able to edit your personal statement and such after you submitted it to programs, as long as it wasn't downloaded yet. When I click on it, it doesn't give me the option to change it....good thing I proofread it to make sure it was "flawless" :mad:

I believe you have to de-assign the statement, make your changes to it, then re-assign it as a new statement.

I have a problem. I just realized in a moment of clarity that I assigned my Personal statement for my emergency medicine residency choice-am applying to some 234 programs to the transitional year programs as well and they have all been sent. What do I do? I accidentally did not send the transitional year specific personal statement. Anyway to change it?

joaquin13 said:
I have a problem. I just realized in a moment of clarity that I assigned my Personal statement for my emergency medicine residency choice-am applying to some 234 programs to the transitional year programs as well and they have all been sent. What do I do? I accidentally did not send the transitional year specific personal statement. Anyway to change it?

I'll be applying for EM this year as well. I didn't even write a separate transitional year PS. I wouldn't worry about it.

joaquin13 said:

I'm sure the answer to this is on the ERAS website. I think you can de-assign documents, then assign a new one. There's no guarentee, however, that the program didn't already print out a copy of the original PS. But, as the previous poster said, submitting an EM PS is probably fine... the transitional year programs will want to know your career plans.