Ok what procedure (if any) should I get as a surgeon

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bull's eye

The Gunslinger
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
As many of you may or may not know, I am a resident in Ortho and have had glasses since 5th grade. I am near-sighted -2.25 in both eyes and have no astigmatism (did I spell that right?) I am seriously thinking about undergoing a surgical procedure for my eyes. Problem is I don't know what is out there and what to get. I know, I know. I should ask a BC optho about it, but I am concerned about some of them not yet comfortable with the newest procedures trying to pitch the procedure they do best. (so vague because I don't even know what the newest stuff is) SO, I wanted to run it by you all, those plugged into the newest stuff and with nothing to gain by divesting your knowledge. I am around Chicago, St. Louis, and can even go to K.C. (If you know names) Thanks for the help.

Members don't see this ad.

Bull's eye said:
As many of you may or may not know, I am a resident in Ortho and have had glasses since 5th grade. I am near-sighted -2.25 in both eyes and have no astigmatism (did I spell that right?) I am seriously thinking about undergoing a surgical procedure for my eyes. Problem is I don't know what is out there and what to get. I know, I know. I should ask a BC optho about it, but I am concerned about some of them not yet comfortable with the newest procedures trying to pitch the procedure they do best. (so vague because I don't even know what the newest stuff is) SO, I wanted to run it by you all, those plugged into the newest stuff and with nothing to gain by divesting your knowledge. I am around Chicago, St. Louis, and can even go to K.C. (If you know names) Thanks for the help.

Provided you're not a nontraditional 50 or 60 year old ortho resident, you're probably best off going with LASIK, which has been the the mainstay of refractive surgery. PRK and LASEK are a couple other acronyms you'll hear batted around, and they all accomplish basically the same thing but LASIK usually has the quickest rehab. The first step is to find an MD by word of mouth (not a billboard) and get a consultation to check for any contraindications to refractive surgery.

Bull's eye said:

Although serious side effects are rare, they do occasionally happen. For this reason, many ophtho residents wait until they're attendings before getting lasik. That way, if something does go wrong and you can't operate anymore, you can get disability based on your attending salary. Although, I don't think sight is quite as delicate a thing in ortho as it is in ophtho. Therefore, it might not really be a risk for you, but it wouldn't hurt to ask your surgeon.