OK to delay Step 2 CK?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ratherbefishing

Name says it all.
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a derm interview at a place that wants a step 2 score in time for the rank list. In the grand scheme of things, would it matter if I moved my test date back from end of November to end of December? It would make my life much easier. My step 1 score was solid, but not overly amazing. I'm worried if I took it in November I'd get a mediocre-to-decent score.

Members don't see this ad.

I have a derm interview at a place that wants a step 2 score in time for the rank list. In the grand scheme of things, would it matter if I moved my test date back from end of November to end of December? It would make my life much easier. My step 1 score was solid, but not overly amazing. I'm worried if I took it in November I'd get a mediocre-to-decent score.

According to the website: http://www.nrmp.org/residency/main-match-events/, the rank order list deadline is February 25th. So if you took it at the end of December (assuming there are spots), the score should be back before that date.

What was your Step 1 score?

Members don't see this ad :)
What was your Step 1 score?

I'm assuming you're asking because you are on the fence as to whether or not you should take it. Using the limited data in the Google Doc, the average Step 1 of people who decided to take Step 2 before applying was 241, compared to a Step 1 of 257 for people decided not to take it.

That being said, my department does not place a major emphasis on Step 2, however, they do encourage students to take it before applying so there is one last thing to worry about. If you've been honoring your clerkships, Step 2 is fairly straightforward, so your score should be excellent.

I'm assuming you're asking because you are on the fence as to whether or not you should take it. Using the limited data in the Google Doc, the average Step 1 of people who decided to take Step 2 before applying was 241, compared to a Step 1 of 257 for people decided not to take it.

That being said, my department does not place a major emphasis on Step 2, however, they do encourage students to take it before applying so there is one last thing to worry about. If you've been honoring your clerkships, Step 2 is fairly straightforward, so your score should be excellent.
Or take it and not automatically release the score.

Reactions: 1 user

Agreed, if there are programs that want your step 2 ck score before application, it's in your best interest to get it done as soon as possible

I remember reading on the step 2 ck forums here a line that seems pretty apt, short of hardcore studying or a brain aneurysm mid exam, your step 2 score is unlikely to deviate significantly from your step 1 score (fwiw, I had the exact same step 2 score despite studying 1/10th the amount as compared to step 1)

Reactions: 1 user