Step 2 Timing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AllDay24

Veteran Member
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I would really like to delay Step 2 CK. I did well on Step 1 (262) and am taking a research year in between MS3 and MS4 right now. So I've forgotten a lot of stuff for Step 2 CK. Can I take it in like November or something? I figure there's no need to have it by Sept 15 because they don't send out interview invites until November, right?

I figure Nov is the sweet spot because I can have my score ready for interview invites while also not being one of those students who hasn't taken Step 2 CK while at interviews.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

It's my understanding that if you crushed step 1 you don't need step 2 when applying. My friend didn't have step 2 when doing his interviews for a competitive specialty and ended up matching his #1. He just had a great step 1.

I think it is different if you are at some risk of failing step 2 and have a low step 1 but that doesn't happen to people with 262 step 1. Maybe some programs care? I wouldn't worry about timing much.

Edit: just saw this is derm forum. I have no idea for derm specifically

Reactions: 1 user
No one cares about Step 2 (unless you blow it). Only a handful of programs require it for an interview/rank, so there is no point in taking it before you submit your ERAS application

For anyone else reading this thread, I also took a year off between M3 and M4, and I took Step II before starting my research year so I wouldn't forget things. On the one hand I am glad I did it because I got it over with, but it also caused a lot of anxiety while I was studying for it because I was afraid I was going to bomb it