ok, i'm still not understanding the committment

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gottalovemilk

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i read lots of thread and just seem to get more confused. i'm trying to understand how my life will be if i'm accepted. my interview is coming up and i plan to sign up with the following preferences: army, public health services, navy, air force (in that order). we will for this thread assuming i get in with the army.

i plan on doing either surgery or rad onc as a residency. i have a interest in both which i will not dwell on, but assuming 5 yrs for both plus one year internship (for 6 total)

1. so would my next couple of years be like this:

4 yrs (uhus) + 1 internship + 5 residency + 7 years commitment in that order? and numbers of years? (total: 17 yrs ?)

2. if the residency is deferred to a civilian program, how would that affect the timeline and order.

3. if i get my number 2 choice, public health services, what will happen to me then in terms of commitment and timeline.

:eek:

Thanks for all the help.

Members don't see this ad.

gottalovemilk said:
i read lots of thread and just seem to get more confused. i'm trying to understand how my life will be if i'm accepted. my interview is coming up and i plan to sign up with the following preferences: army, public health services, navy, air force (in that order). we will for this thread assuming i get in with the army.

i plan on doing either surgery or rad onc as a residency. i have a interest in both which i will not dwell on, but assuming 5 yrs for both plus one year internship (for 6 total)

4 yrs (uhus) + 1 internship + 5 residency + 7 years commitment in that order? and numbers of years? (total: 17 yrs ?)

2. if the residency is deferred to a civilian program, how would that affect the timeline and order.

3. if i get my number 2 choice, public health services, what will happen to me then in terms of commitment and timeline.

Thanks for all the help.

milk,

You may need to get clarification from the recuriter, or I'm sure other people will jump on this as soon as I get accused of hijacking. You will incur 4 years for USHUS, and will then incur yr per yr for whatever residency you get. Be prepared to perhaps not get what you really want. Especially as all the services turn more towards primary care. You seem to be setting yourself to make a career of the military/pub health svc. Be sure you read all the pros/cons before you dive in to something so final. It can be good, as many people have said, but you have to have as much information as possible.

Galo

Galo said:
milk,

You may need to get clarification from the recuriter, or I'm sure other people will jump on this as soon as I get accused of hijacking. You will incur 4 years for USHUS, and will then incur yr per yr for whatever residency you get. Be prepared to perhaps not get what you really want. Especially as all the services turn more towards primary care. You seem to be setting yourself to make a career of the military/pub health svc. Be sure you read all the pros/cons before you dive in to something so final. It can be good, as many people have said, but you have to have as much information as possible.

Galo

No, he would incur 7 years for USUHS.

Members don't see this ad :)
gottalovemilk said:

You better go for surgery, coming out of USUHS you will not get RAD ONC. There are no military training slots for RAD ONC that I know of and coming out of USUHS you are required to do a military residency

gottalovemilk said:

Sounds about right. Give or take time for your residency. Your commitment works out to be seven years plus your residency.

gottalovemilk said:

You will not get a civilian deferment coming out of USUHS

gottalovemilk said:

You most likely won't get PHS as there are only 2 slots and they go very early. I'm not 100% on this, but if you graduate PHS you will be allowed to do either a civilian or a military residency. I think they want you to do a primary care residency, but if I remember correctly you can in fact choose whatever you want. Your timeline would be the same 7yrs + residency, the difference would be your payback time would most likely be served with the Indian Health Service out on an Indian reservation

Hope this helps

backrow said:
You better go for surgery, coming out of USUHS you will not get RAD ONC. There are no military training slots for RAD ONC that I know of and coming out of USUHS you are required to do a military residency

Sounds about right. Give or take time for your residency. Your commitment works out to be seven years plus your residency.

You will not get a civilian deferment coming out of USUHS

You most likely won't get PHS as there are only 2 slots and they go very early. I'm not 100% on this, but if you graduate PHS you will be allowed to do either a civilian or a military residency. I think they want you to do a primary care residency, but if I remember correctly you can in fact choose whatever you want. Your timeline would be the same 7yrs + residency, the difference would be your payback time would most likely be served with the Indian Health Service out on an Indian reservation

Hope this helps

Agree with above.

To clarify, whoever said that USUHS is a 7-year commitment is correct.

General surgery is normally 5 years total; I think you thought it was 6, but not matter since you're going to USUHS.

To echo, USUHS graduates don't get civilian deferments. If you don't match for some reason, you'll do a GMO after completing internship.

ok, i get it. i was looking at it i guess from a hphs perspective in terms of deferment.

another question though, if i totally commit myself to military life (ie., the 7 yrs is therefore meaningless as i wish to serve for till i'm really old), how many years is it till retirement age? is it the 7yr commitment plus 13 yrs more to be a category1 retiree?

gottalovemilk said:
ok, i get it. i was looking at it i guess from a hphs perspective in terms of deferment.

another question though, if i totally commit myself to military life (ie., the 7 yrs is therefore meaningless as i wish to serve for till i'm really old), how many years is it till retirement age? is it the 7yr commitment plus 13 yrs more to be a category1 retiree?
You need 20 years to get the basic retirement (which, while not nothing isn't much, if you want to know).

The 7 years count. All time after you start active duty counts except the time in USUHS, which counts on the back end, after you accumulate 20 years service once you graduate. Additional accrual of obligated service from residency is concurrent with USUHS payback, i.e., not consecutive.

If you take out a loan, you incur exactly what you take out in loans + interest......it doesn't get any simpler than that....

Or you could go USUHS....

oh ok. it is not that difficult to understand, i just do not know why i did not get it the first play. thank you.

well, if i get accepted, i think i will be happy career wise.

backrow said:
All Army general surgery programs are now 6yrs. They throw in a research year for good times.

I believe Eisenhower is still 5 years (no research year)

could be Rich. I had heard that all programs had now gone the way of 6yrs, unfortunately I can't find any information on this to say definitively.

backrow said:
could be Rich. I had heard that all programs had now gone the way of 6yrs, unfortunately I can't find any information on this to say definitively.

man, what a perfect way for them to squeeze an extra year of obligation out of all the 4-year scholarship folks. they get you coming and going. unbelievable...glad i'm not a surgeon.

gottalovemilk said:

Thanks for all the help.

There are no rad onc deferments for navy at this time, though we are trying to get 1 this year (belatedly).

There have been no FTOS rad onc (navy) for the last 2 boards.

I doubt you will ever see another rad onc FTOS position.

I expect there to be no rad oncs on active duty past 2016.

orbitsurgMD said:
No, he would incur 7 years for USUHS.

Not entirely correct, it's eight (8) years of total military service obligation--7 + 1 in Reserves;

and, I heard there are "talks" (it'll probably happen and won't be grandfathered before you graduate) about making Useless a 10-year stint, which would give you a 14-year head start and life plan when you sign on that line...

grmaster1 said:
Not entirely correct, it's eight (8) years of total military service obligation--7 + 1 in Reserves;

and, I heard there are "talks" (it'll probably happen and won't be grandfathered before you graduate) about making Useless a 10-year stint, which would give you a 14-year head start and life plan when you sign on that line...

Whether you agree with military medicine are not, the name of the school is USUHS. By the way...aren't you going to dental school???? Don't get me started on west virginia jokes.

As to your comment, I'm pretty sure if this was being thought about the current students would be all over it. I have yet to hear a thing about this. I hear more about them closing the place then I do about them extending the commitment. And the 'close the school' arguments come every time there's a BRAC and never amount to anything.

backrow said:
Whether you agree with military medicine are not, the name of the school is USUHS. By the way...aren't you going to dental school???? Don't get me started on west virginia jokes.

As to your comment, I'm pretty sure if this was being thought about the current students would be all over it. I have yet to hear a thing about this. I hear more about them closing the place then I do about them extending the commitment. And the 'close the school' arguments come every time there's a BRAC and never amount to anything.

First of all, I am honored that you cut out a lot of time from your busy schedule whatever it is that you do to follow my posts and find out that I am going to dental school... West Virginia is a birth place of a Toothbrush otherwise it'd be called a teethbrush! Have you been there?

Second, thank you for clarifying the name of the school--I did not know that.

And, third, have you served in the military? If not, why would you know anything about USUHS? And, if you did, most likely you were not privy to different happenings in military medicine.

Also, where in my post did you get that I disagreed with military medicine?
Useless is a funny name for USUHS used by many docs in the military--if you join, you'll find out...

Relax--it's just internet--if you react to every post like that, you'll get an ulcer :smuggrin:

I'll save him the trouble...

He has most definitely served in the military because the last time I saw him he was in uniform. In class...... AT USUHS. If you had read his post you probably would have surmised that he's a student there.

And yes, as USUHS students, we get regular briefings whenever the BRAC rumors start to fly, the leadership doesn't want us to mistake the inevitable rumors for anything resembling an actual plan.

Don't be so quick to question someone's credibility, espescially when they as much as TELL you how they got their information....

RichL025 said:
He has most definitely served in the military because the last time I saw him he was in uniform. In class...... AT USUHS.
Don't be so quick to question someone's credibility, espescially when they as much as TELL you how they got their information....

I don't know why I bother, yet I'll bite, gotta groom the future junior officer corps...

Unless youse two are prior service--you have not served... students!

I didn't question backrow's credibility as a student being told about BRAC issues--I wrote that he didn't have the "good gouge."

And my advice is the same for you, like Frankie said, "RELAX!"

And get a sense of humor--you'll need it when you graduate :D

grmaster1 said:
I don't know why I bother, yet I'll bite, gotta groom the future junior officer corps...

I didn't question backrow's credibility as a student being told about BRAC issues--I wrote that he didn't have the "good gouge."

And my advice is the same for you, like Frankie said, "RELAX!"

And get a sense of humor--you'll need it when you graduate :D

I'll answer two posts....it didn't take me long to find out you were going to dental school, all I had to do was look at your pattern of posts and see that almost every one of them was in the predental or dental area.

As for the unless you two are prior service.....i'll just answer for myself...keep digging your hole, I was promptly demoted on my first day of school.

grmaster1 said:

Quit while you're ahead. That makes two of us who wore a uniform BEFORE going to school. Although why you think that alone would give us a better "gouge" on a completely non-existant rumor on a 10-year commitment is beyond me.