Ok I screwed up.......and smoked marijuana a week before starting PT school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

toothphage

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, So I wasnt thinking straight and smoked some marijuana with a friend. I had never tried it before so it was my first time, I didnt even get very high at all.

Heres the part that sucks......I never did any drugs my whole life (not even alcohol or cigarettes) and now I start PT school in a few days. If I get tested and thrown out of school my life will be over

I am such an idiot, and dont know why I did this. Do all schools test for drugs before the program starts?

Members don't see this ad.

Ok, So I wasnt thinking straight and smoked some marijuana with a friend. I had never tried it before so it was my first time, I didnt even get very high at all.

Heres the part that sucks......I never did any drugs my whole life (not even alcohol or cigarettes) and now I start PT school in a few days. If I get tested and thrown out of school my life will be over

I am such an idiot, and dont know why I did this. Do all schools test for drugs before the program starts?

Yikes, I believe the large majority of PT schools test for drugs before CI. Prior to admittance, it depends solely on the school. If the school has CI integrated into the didactic coursework, then most likely they will require a drug test. However, these usually start in the second semester, but I would check with your school if they do require a drug test.

Contact the school and subtly ask them about it. I wouldn't say "Do you require drug tests before the first day of school?". You could ask them "Is there anything that I need to submit or any requirements that I still need to do before the first day of class, such as immunization records, CPR/AED certification, drug testing, physicals, etc.?"

THC found in marijuana can last 30 days in the blood stream and a few months (<6months) in hair samples... I would buy a drug testing kit from your local retail pharmacy like CVS or Walgreens and and test yourself to see if you have any detectable traces of THC in your system. Although it may not be as professional, it can still give you an idea.

Just make sure, in the future, that you refrain from doing any type of drugs as it could potentially ruin your future in PT or any other medical field, for that matter. It's simply not worth it, don't you think?

Anyway, good luck and hope everything turns out okay for you. Just take a deep breath. Don't freak out too much.

Thanks for the reply theres no way im ever trying anything again.....

I feel like the biggest idiot in the world right now, oh well if I get caught il just tell the truth, nothing i can do, maybe theyll forgive my one time idiocy and if not, then its my fault and I understand and il apply next year again......

I just feel like I worked so hard, to potentially screw it all up for something i tried once and didnt even enjoy. Its funny because at the time I didnt even think about it cause ive been clean my whole life. Wow, anyways future PT students dont do what I did

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know of schools that test you before school, but I guess there will be an exception to the rule. We got the whole "time to live the clean life and walk the straight and narrow" speech when we got in. But they do test us before we go on clinicals. I don't know if I'd ask the professors that would seem kinda suspicious to me. maybe you can get someone to ask for you, but why give them the idea to even test you?

Besides the school is more worried that you have gotten all your immunizations in order to come. So unless it says it in your health packet,the best thing to do is not freak out it.

If you are worried and need something to do there are detox kits at GNC. I have no idea about their efficacy, I just know my one roommate in college always panicked like this with preseason testing and would go to gnc and buy some goldenseal. She never got kicked off the squad...

Hopefully you learned something from this debaucale. And definitely don't smoke before clinicals, get a dui or arrested. Fast way out of a program quick.

Don't do it again and carry on. I have heard nothing of drug tests during school. If your school does test before clinicals, then as a previous poster said, it won't be until your second semester.

Don't call your school and ask. No matter how you phrase the question it will raise red flags. Just don't be stupid again. That's as nicely as I can phrase that.

At least my school doesn't do any drug testing, and my clinicals haven't required any drug testing either. It seems like you know the error of your ways though and will make the right choices in the future.

You should be fine.

Last edited:
Our school did not require drug screening but made it clear that most of their clinical affiliations do require it as well as background checks. Sounds like you learned your lesson, now just remember it and apply it. ;)

Don't do it again and carry on. I have heard nothing of drug tests during school. If your school does test before clinicals, then as a previous poster said, it won't be until your second semester.

Don't call your school and ask. No matter how you phrase the question it will raise red flags. Just don't be stupid again. That's as nicely as I can phrase that.

Texas Woman's University drug tests us at orientation.

If you are worried and need something to do there are detox kits at GNC. I have no idea about their efficacy, I just know my one roommate in college always panicked like this with preseason testing and would go to gnc and buy some goldenseal. She never got kicked off the squad...

If you're not a usual smoker, it's unlikely that marijuana will show up in a urine test after about 3 days. You should be fine as long as you don't smoke again before the test.

Just try to relax about it. Smoke some weed if it helps...

Sorry, couldn't resist. My program did not do any drug testing.

THC like any other chemical in your body is measured relatively to your body weight. If you go through a session of natural detox and haven't smoked a lot, should be OK

Mine didnt drug test at the start, they only do if youre starting clinical, and even then, only some hospitals require it. We had one girl in our class who was a massive stoner. Dunno how she made it through but she did. Good student actually.

You'll be fine, but yeah, that was a ****** move haha