Ok GPA & MCAT but not much clinical volunteering?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aye0h

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
3.68 cumulative, 3.65 science GPA at a top 10 university with biology major, neuroscience concentration, Spanish minor. Without freshman year, I have a 3.80 GPA, 3.75 science GPA; overall trend upwards with a couple of times on the Dean's List.
36R MCAT: 11VR, 12PS, 13BS
100+ hours volunteering.
40 hours shadowing in ER.
Research experience with abstract and poster but no published paper. Other research papers written but not published (planning to submit soon).
Several leadership positions in a service organization; no other leadership positions.
EMT-B clinical exposure; CPR-certified; planning to take NREMT-B certification.
Taking a year off, planning to teach over the summer, and am applying to clinically-related jobs for the fall, maybe working as an EMT if I can get a job.

Problem is, I don't have very much clinical volunteering experience (maybe ten hours total), even though I have a lot of community service hours. Should I try to scrape together a few hours before applying? Is it worth putting off my AMCAS application a few weeks to get more clinical experience?

Here's a list of schools I'm looking at, are they realistic?
Reach: Duke, Stanford, Columbia, Case Western
Competitive (roughly): USC, Georgetown, OSHU, Boston University, Emory, Northwestern, Mt Sinai, UNC-CH (I'm an NC resident.)
Safety: UMD, Wake Forest, Tulane, U of Miami, George Washington U, Tufts

Would really appreciate any input, thanks a ton!

Members don't see this ad.

I would continue with the clinical experience and submit the application early. Later on after a couple months in August you can always send an update letter about how you gained more experience. I would also add another 5 "safety" schools to that list just to be safe.

3.68 cumulative, 3.65 science GPA at a top 10 university with biology major, neuroscience concentration, Spanish minor. Without freshman year, I have a 3.80 GPA, 3.75 science GPA; overall trend upwards with a couple of times on the Dean's List.
100+ hours volunteering.
Research experience with abstract and poster but no published paper. Other research papers written but not published (planning to submit soon).
Several leadership positions in a service organization; no other leadership positions.
Taking a year off, planning to teach over the summer, and am applying to clinically-related jobs for the fall, maybe working as an EMT if I can get a job.

Problem is, I don't have very much clinical volunteering experience (maybe ten hours total), even though I have a lot of community service hours. Should I try to scrape together a few hours before applying? Is it worth putting off my AMCAS application a few weeks to get more clinical experience?

Competitive (roughly): USC, Georgetown, OSHU, Boston University, Emory, Northwestern, Mt Sinai, UNC-CH (I'm an NC resident.)

I would start clinical volunteering now, and continue at least until you are accepted somewhere. You also want to get some shadowing in outside the ER, including something primary-care.

Members don't see this ad :)
100+ hours volunteering.

What about your LOR's? My school's pre-health committee requires a LOR from a doctor before they'll interview you. I know not every school is the same in that regard but a committee letter is important to medical schools (although I think it's pretty dumb). Why don't you see if you can get a volunteer spot at you local hospital? I'm sure they'd love to boot some of the high school kids lol.

What about your LOR's? My school's pre-health committee requires a LOR from a doctor before they'll interview you. I know not every school is the same in that regard but a committee letter is important to medical schools (although I think it's pretty dumb). Why don't you see if you can get a volunteer spot at you local hospital? I'm sure they'd love to boot some of the high school kids lol.

Good point! I have a committee letter from the school and three letters of recommendation.

I would start clinical volunteering now, and continue at least until you are accepted somewhere. You also want to get some shadowing in outside the ER, including something primary-care.

I would continue with the clinical experience and submit the application early. Later on after a couple months in August you can always send an update letter about how you gained more experience. I would also add another 5 "safety" schools to that list just to be safe.

Ok, great advice, that's what I'll do. I didn't realize you could send update letters, so thanks for the info!

Does anyone else have any comments on the list of schools? I thought that 18 might be too many and was trying to cut down, but should I really add more safeties?

Hoo-ray for NC applicants :)

I think being in the 20-25 school range is a good number for most people. Although your stats will most likely get you secondaries nearly everywhere so be prepared to prioritize them when they come in and spend a good amount of time in July - September turning them around as fast as possible. I would definitely just apply as early as possible and send an update letter with any significant changes to your app such as additional clinical volunteering.

As far as a few additional schools, you would have a great shot at ECU in-state and then VT-Carilion, UVA, and VCU have pretty good OOS acceptance rates in the neighboring state. You have an impressive app for sure, you've done a great job not being too top-heavy in your list, you could add a few more reaches if there are more you love as you are certainly qualified.

I'd agree with the above poster to add ECU to that list being that you're instate. Also, I would take out Duke -- they're not very instate friendly with nearly 90% of their applicants being from OOS.

I'd agree with the above poster to add ECU to that list being that you're instate. Also, I would take out Duke -- they're not very instate friendly with nearly 90% of their applicants being from OOS.

I would leave Duke in if I were him.. His stats line up great with their averages and if I am assessing right that he went to a 'Top 10 University' and is from NC, there's a good chance he did his undergrad at Duke...

I vote for keeping Duke, he has just a good of shot at Duke as anyone else in the country imo. Just because they have a 90-10 oos-is doesn't mean they're unfriendly to NC applicants, they're just not biased to them like the state schools are.

STRONGLTY recommend more clinical volunteer work. You need to show AdComs that you LIKE being around sick/injured people.

100+ hours volunteering.

As far as a few additional schools, you would have a great shot at ECU in-state and then VT-Carilion, UVA, and VCU have pretty good OOS acceptance rates in the neighboring state. You have an impressive app for sure, you've done a great job not being too top-heavy in your list, you could add a few more reaches if there are more you love as you are certainly qualified.

Thanks, I'll look into those schools for sure.

& thanks everyone for your input; I'll definitely take your advice.

SUNY's are open to OOS and are right in your ballpark