Ohio State c/o 2024

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MSM1444

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Haven't seen a thread for Ohio State yet so I figured I would get it rolling. Who else applied and wants to become a Buckeye?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
OOS second time applicant. Both of my parents were born/raised in Ohio and attended OSU, so I feel like an honorary Buckeye, but I would love to become an official Buckeye!

How has there not been an OSU thread before now?! Good job @MSM144

Everyone should definitely come be a Buckeye:)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
OOS, 2nd time applicant, 1st time at OSU!

First time OOS applicant! Fingers crossed for all of us!

When do interviews usually get sent out?

First time applicant applying to Ohio and super excited!!

Reactions: 1 users
I am IS and second time applicant. Last year some interview invites went out December 13 & 14 and more went out on December 20th. I received my interview invite on Thursday December 20th. If I remember correctly, interview dates were Jan 3, 4, 5, 12, and 26.

Rough timeline:
Out right rejections went out Jan 7-8th.
First round of acceptances went out Jan. 15th.
Another round of acceptances went out Feb 6th.
Waitlist & rejections went out on Feb 11th.

I was crushed I didn't get in. Obviously OSU is my first choice as I am IS.

This cycle I feel better prepared and my application only got stronger. I completed my B.S. in Animal Science/Pre-Veterinary Medicine with a minor in Chemistry and Biology and increased my CUM, Science and last 30/45 hour GPA's. I added research and even more Veterinary Experience (both Large & Small around 3600 last cycle) & Animal Experience hours (over 5000 last cycle). I have plenty of volunteer, leadership and extra curricular activities as well as strong LOR's. All of the above were not a concern as indicated by my file review. I believe it was my interview that sealed my fate. I think my nerves got the best of me so I am practicing a wide range of interview questions so I can be more relaxed if granted an interview this year.

Reactions: 2 users
I am IS and second time applicant. Last year some interview invites went out December 13 & 14 and more went out on December 20th. I received my interview invite on Thursday December 20th. If I remember correctly, interview dates were Jan 3, 4, 5, 12, and 26.

Rough timeline:
Out right rejections went out Jan 7-8th.
First round of acceptances went out Jan. 15th.
Another round of acceptances went out Feb 6th.
Waitlist & rejections went out on Feb 11th.

I was crushed I didn't get in. Obviously OSU is my first choice as I am IS.

This cycle I feel better prepared and my application only got stronger. I completed my B.S. in Animal Science/Pre-Veterinary Medicine with a minor in Chemistry and Biology and increased my CUM, Science and last 30/45 hour GPA's. I added research and even more Veterinary Experience (both Large & Small around 3600 last cycle) & Animal Experience hours (over 5000 last cycle). I have plenty of volunteer, leadership and extra curricular activities as well as strong LOR's. All of the above were not a concern as indicated by my file review. I believe it was my interview that sealed my fate. I think my nerves got the best of me so I am practicing a wide range of interview questions so I can be more relaxed if granted an interview this year.

Good luck!!!

Thanks Guys! I wish us all the best of luck in this brutal process. It's stressful, tests our patience, and sometimes knocks us down. Everyone works hard and sacrifices to get this far and we are all climbing the admission to vet school mountain. Acceptance is at the summit. Think about how many times you have stumbled, been injured or fallen flat on your face during your climb. We must swat self-doubt to the ground, get back up and keep fighting through all the crap that grabs us and tries to pull us down. Be proud of yourself, your accomplishments, and stay positive.

"They take pictures of mountain climbers at the top of the mountain. They're smiling. Ecstatic. Triumphant. We push ourselves because we have to, not because we like it. They don't take pictures along the way because who wants to remember the rest of it. The relentless climb, the pain and anguish of taking it to the next level. Nobody takes pictures of that. Nobody wants to remember. We just want to remember the view from the top. The breathtaking moment from the edge of the world. That's what keeps us climbing and it's worth the pain. That's the crazy part. It's worth anything." - Meredith Grey

Every time I see anyone post an acceptance - I think - Woohoo! You made it! I can't help but be excited for those people because this is not an easy journey for anyone.

So here's to all of us getting our breathtaking moment and making it to the summit!

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks Guys! I wish us all the best of luck in this brutal process. It's stressful, tests our patience, and sometimes knocks us down. Everyone works hard and sacrifices to get this far and we are all climbing the admission to vet school mountain. Acceptance is at the summit. Think about how many times you have stumbled, been injured or fallen flat on your face during your climb. We must swat self-doubt to the ground, get back up and keep fighting through all the crap that grabs us and tries to pull us down. Be proud of yourself, your accomplishments, and stay positive.

"They take pictures of mountain climbers at the top of the mountain. They're smiling. Ecstatic. Triumphant. We push ourselves because we have to, not because we like it. They don't take pictures along the way because who wants to remember the rest of it. The relentless climb, the pain and anguish of taking it to the next level. Nobody takes pictures of that. Nobody wants to remember. We just want to remember the view from the top. The breathtaking moment from the edge of the world. That's what keeps us climbing and it's worth the pain. That's the crazy part. It's worth anything." - Meredith Grey

Every time I see anyone post an acceptance - I think - Woohoo! You made it! I can't help but be excited for those people because this is not an easy journey for anyone.

So here's to all of us getting our breathtaking moment and making it to the summit!

You’re amazing. I hope we’re future classmates!!

So.... I definitely thought I responded to this thread. So super late haha. But first time OOS applicant. :cat:

Has anyone received an email confirming that they received all of your application materials? I have not heard anything since they sent me the supplemental.

Has anyone received an email confirming that they received all of your application materials? I have not heard anything since they sent me the supplemental.
I received and email a week ago stating they had all my application materials and they were reviewing it

OOS and I haven’t seen anything yet
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I am IS and I haven’t received anything yet.

I received an email with subject: Ohio State University CVM Application Checklist Complete on 9/9. But I submitted 8/19. It just said that they’d received everything, to continue checking email for status, and that they’d begin sending interview invites out at the beginning of December.

I submitted 8/16 and got the email saying they received everything 8/26. Interviews will be sent out starting early December to January!

I sent them an email just to double check everything is ok! But I have a feeling they are sending them in waves because my friend got hers on Friday.

Yep so the day I was VMCAS verified (9/4), I got the email for the supplemental application - subject was Instructions on finishing your application to The Ohio State University. This is where you create an account to their portal, pay the $60 (IS) supplemental application fee etc. Then you can log on at anytime and check application status. Don't waste your time continuously checking the portal because if you have everything in - your status will say complete. There is a blurb that basically says they are reviewing your application. In my experience - you don't hear anything until interview invites go out mid December.

IS 2nd year applicant. Granted an interview last year that went terrible. More confident this year, but still scared!

IS 2nd year applicant. Granted an interview last year that went terrible. More confident this year, but still scared!
What type of interview do they do? Like how was your overall experience?

It’s a pretty traditional 30 min interview with at least one DVM and either another dvm, other school staff member, or student.

This is how the process went: Jan 11th was a dinner and chat with a few OSU vets/staff. It was nice, but I don’t think I would attend it again. Jan 12th there was a 4 hr session of info (paying for school, a tour, lunch, etc). My interview was in the afternoon after this session. You sit in the lounge area with the other pre-vet students. The interviewers come in, call your name, then you follow them to a room. My personal experience was 2 veterinarians with masters of public health and 1 recently graduated veterinarian. I was very hyper and couldn’t settle down. I take full blame for my terrible interview BUT in my opinion the questions were awful. They only asked me the 5 questions they had to: “What do veterinarians do besides general practice?” “Name a time you were a leader” “What would you like do after graduating” “Name a time you changed the outcome of something you didn’t want to do.” (These arent exact, just the topics I remember answering). They asked me NOTHING pertaining to my application, which I was fully prepared to talk about how my 15 years in ballet shaped who I am, and all my experiences, etc. It was very frustrating.

With only these general questions and only 30 mins in the interview, it was very hard to tell them anything about myself. I knew right when I walked out that I’d be denied!

Not trying to bring anyone down, this was just my experience :)

OOS 1st time applicant, they are still reviewing my app last I heard.

This is how the process went: Jan 11th was a dinner and chat with a few OSU vets/staff. It was nice, but I don’t think I would attend it again. Jan 12th there was a 4 hr session of info (paying for school, a tour, lunch, etc). My interview was in the afternoon after this session. You sit in the lounge area with the other pre-vet students. The interviewers come in, call your name, then you follow them to a room. My personal experience was 2 veterinarians with masters of public health and 1 recently graduated veterinarian. I was very hyper and couldn’t settle down. I take full blame for my terrible interview BUT in my opinion the questions were awful. They only asked me the 5 questions they had to: “What do veterinarians do besides general practice?” “Name a time you were a leader” “What would you like do after graduating” “Name a time you changed the outcome of something you didn’t want to do.” (These arent exact, just the topics I remember answering). They asked me NOTHING pertaining to my application, which I was fully prepared to talk about how my 15 years in ballet shaped who I am, and all my experiences, etc. It was very frustrating.

With only these general questions and only 30 mins in the interview, it was very hard to tell them anything about myself. I knew right when I walked out that I’d be denied!

Word to the wise for this year - pull specific examples from your various experiences when answering these kinds of questions. Practice doing this beforehand - that way you can figure out exactly what you want to convey about your experiences/what you have learned about them/how they have shaped you or whatever, and how to do it in the context of various general questions.

I got an email in October from Sandra Dawkins that said my app was complete for them; & they would send interview decisions December-January.
Weird, I never got an email like that, just the login emails! Thanks for the information!

They pretty much have to have standard questions to be able to try to evaluate applicants equally. I will say that it helps a lot of have things you want to talk about going in and then structuring the answers to your questions to reflect these things. Ex. I had a question my year similar to the one about careers in vet med beyond GP...I really wanted to talk about my extensive research experience, and so I fit taking about my research experience into the answer to that question. I did have questions from my application as well towards the end, but most of them are pretty standard.

Word to the wise for this year - pull specific examples from your various experiences when answering these kinds of questions. Practice doing this beforehand - that way you can figure out exactly what you want to convey about your experiences/what you have learned about them/how they have shaped you or whatever, and how to do it in the context of various general questions.

*Reads rest of replies after typing the same exact things* haha. But yes exactly...from two different people who got in!

Maybe this week? Maybe??? Anyone have any kind of scoop?

Reactions: 1 users
Maybe this week? Maybe??? Anyone have any kind of scoop?
I would guess this week or next (leaning towards next based on the last couple years...but my year I think it was the 4th or 5th). You‘re so close!

I wonder how many applicants they got this year?!

Do they usually email? I have not been able to log in through the portal so I hope that’s not how they notify us!

Do they usually email? I have not been able to log in through the portal so I hope that’s not how they notify us!
Yes they will email you. Word of warning about the portal regarding rejections: it’s not very reliable (at least as of last year). I was rejected via email and my portal never updated. In fact I was curious and it only ever updated in October of this year saying that my application was inactive because the term had begun. So it took around 10 months after being rejected for my portal to change, but it never said I was rejected.

@mmmdreamerz did they allow interviewees to pick their interview day in years prior?

Do they send interview invites in batches or all at once? Just trying to prepare myself for these invites!

What is the url for the portal?