Ohio State c/o 2021 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
i did not have mine signed.. it was on official letter head form the hospital though . if they printed it out and gave it to you then you are fine - mine was accepted and approved.
if you use that form then yes, it needs to be signed. i think it was easier to just have them print it out (i literally handed them my id and they handed it back with my records) then to take the time out of the doctors day for them to fill out the form

This is good to know because I'll have to go track down mine too.

Members don't see this ad.

This is good to know because I'll have to go track down mine too.

i called and they told me to just come in and pick them up. they printed two copies for me at the front desk without an appointment and it took all of 2 minutes . though i did get a weird look when i walked into pediatrics without a child by some of the people in the waiting room lol

i did not have mine signed.. it was on official letter head form the hospital though . if they printed it out and gave it to you then you are fine - mine was accepted and approved.
if you use that form then yes, it needs to be signed. i think it was easier to just have them print it out (i literally handed them my id and they handed it back with my records) then to take the time out of the doctors day for them to fill out the form

Oh, good to know! I did actually get mine printed out from medical records at home hospital. I didn't know we could just upload that, though. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh, good to know! I did actually get mine printed out from medical records at home hospital. I didn't know we could just upload that, though. Thanks!
i wasnt sure either but i went for it and they emailed me the next day saying i was compliant. in addition to uploading, you have to put them in yourself under myforms'

Reactions: 1 user
i called and they told me to just come in and pick them up. they printed two copies for me at the front desk without an appointment and it took all of 2 minutes . though i did get a weird look when i walked into pediatrics without a child by some of the people in the waiting room lol

Thanks for asking...definitely makes it easier to just upload the record

Talking about vaccine records got me thinking about some other related-ish things...

Dr. Lord mentioned at interviews that even those of us working OOS working towards residency could stay on our parent's insurance (nice 'cause I won't hit the 26 age cut-off until after vet school), but she also made a comment about how they still recommend getting on OSU's student health plan? Is there actually a benefit to being on the student insurance? I kinda just wonder what the reasoning behind that recommendation is...

Also continuing with the theme...

Rabies vx...I looked into my insurance covering, and of course they won't. When do we have to have them by? I thought I remembered someone saying it wasn't before school started but sometime during first year?

Talking about vaccine records got me thinking about some other related-ish things...

Dr. Lord mentioned at interviews that even those of us working OOS working towards residency could stay on our parent's insurance (nice 'cause I won't hit the 26 age cut-off until after vet school), but she also made a comment about how they still recommend getting on OSU's student health plan? Is there actually a benefit to being on the student insurance? I kinda just wonder what the reasoning behind that recommendation is...

Also continuing with the theme...

Rabies vx...I looked into my insurance covering, and of course they won't. When do we have to have them by? I thought I remembered someone saying it wasn't before school started but sometime during first year?

Not sure if they still put it in the schedule but for my class, they scheduled our rabies vaccine and gave us time off from class to get it. We got it through the Wilce Student Health Center.

Then come 3rd year they make it so you can have walk-in appointments at the Wilce Center to get your titers checked

Not sure if they still put it in the schedule but for my class, they scheduled our rabies vaccine and gave us time off from class to get it. We got it through the Wilce Student Health Center.

Then come 3rd year they make it so you can have walk-in appointments at the Wilce Center to get your titers checked
They've stopped doing the rabies vaccine clinic. I have the student health insurance and it cost me roughly $550 through Wilce Student Health Center.

Regarding parents' insurance, you can stay on it, but you will have to pay for your portion of the insurance back to your parents. Same with cell phones if you're on a family plan. The nice thing about student insurance is that you can just walk to main campus and be seen fairly quickly. However, I think it's more expensive than what you would pay to be covered by your parents' insurance.

They've stopped doing the rabies vaccine clinic. I have the student health insurance and it cost me roughly $550 through Wilce Student Health Center.

Regarding parents' insurance, you can stay on it, but you will have to pay for your portion of the insurance back to your parents. Same with cell phones if you're on a family plan. The nice thing about student insurance is that you can just walk to main campus and be seen fairly quickly. However, I think it's more expensive than what you would pay to be covered by your parents' insurance.

Yeah I knew you had to cover your portion. Just trying to figure out if I should stay on my parents or if it is worth it to switch. Guess I should figure out what the cost of my portion would be to start...

Ya'll are super helpful...thanks!

i wasnt sure either but i went for it and they emailed me the next day saying i was compliant. in addition to uploading, you have to put them in yourself under myforms'
Can I ask where you found your buckeye ID number? Online it says under personal information on your buckeye link, but I can't find anything there.

EDIT: never mind, found it!

Wow, $550 is relatively inexpensive compared to some of the quotes I've gotten around here. My health insurance doesn't cover it and cheapest I've been able to find is still just under $1000

Reactions: 1 users
Ya'll are super helpful...thanks!
Oh yeah, and we had to get it by second semester. If you hadn't gotten it by mid fall semester, you would get an email saying that it had to be done by January.

Members don't see this ad :)
@lilylilac question you may or may not be able to answer for me regarding switching to IS:

My car is still being paid off, and my dad is the one who makes the payments. He doesn't deposit the money to my bank account and then I pay them or anything like that, he pays It separately, so it's not reflected as me receiving money from anyone in my bank account. Any idea if that would that disqualify me from switching to IS?

Must be they didn't like the mad dash at an end of a lecture that the rabies clinic caused. It was really bad my year beacuse the Wilce Center was having some construction done so they brought the clinic to us and used the study rooms. The last 5-10 min of the lecture before the clinic times you could tell students were getting ready to go. We were all trying to hurry up and wait :laugh:

@lilylilac question you may or may not be able to answer for me regarding switching to IS:

My car is still being paid off, and my dad is the one who makes the payments. He doesn't deposit the money to my bank account and then I pay them or anything like that, he pays It separately, so it's not reflected as me receiving money from anyone in my bank account. Any idea if that would that disqualify me from switching to IS?
Whose name is the title in? If it's in your name then I believe you will have to make the payments. If it's in your dad's name then I think you just have to pay for maintenance, gas, car insurance, etc

I'm not really sure how that works because my car is in my name. Is the car in your name or his? If it's yours, you'll probably have to pay. If it's in his name, then you should be fine as is. However, don't just go by what I say, I would call and ask.

Edit: dang, just saw I was ninja'd haha

Whose name is the title in? If it's in your name then I believe you will have to make the payments. If it's in your dad's name then I think you just have to pay for maintenance, gas, car insurance, etc

It's currently under mine/my sisters, but it will be under just me by the time I move. It's still fairly new, but given how quickly cars lose their value I wouldn't want to sell it just yet. Once I establish residency, would I be in the clear to deal with the payments whichever way I'd like?

hah
Can I ask where you found your buckeye ID number? Online it says under personal information on your buckeye link, but I can't find anything there.

EDIT: never mind, found it!
i googled "what is my buckeye id" lol

It's currently under mine/my sisters, but it will be under just me by the time I move. It's still fairly new, but given how quickly cars lose their value I wouldn't want to sell it just yet. Once I establish residency, would I be in the clear to deal with the payments whichever way I'd like?
Yeah once you gain residency, you can do whatever. They won't check after they approve you

My impression is these things really only matter the first year...?

Does anyone from OSU actually ever layout the do/do nots fror establishing residency? I just want someone to give me some more information...it seems like most everyone is able to do it but I'm scared I'll do something wrong :oops:

Does anyone from OSU actually ever layout the do/do nots fror establishing residency? I just want someone to give me some more information...it seems like most everyone is able to do it but I'm scared I'll do something wrong :oops:
Because it changes, only the residency office can tell you exactly what you can and can't do. I've called I don't know how many times with questions and they're always willing to answer.

Because it changes, only the residency office can tell you exactly what you can and can't do. I've called I don't know how many times with questions and they're always willing to answer.

Okay. Thanks. I'll start bugging them with questions lol

You will have to switch everything for your car over to Ohio as one of the hoops to jump through

My impression is these things really only matter the first year...?
Pretty much. I've heard they could check up on us but I've never heard of it actually happening so I don't know how true that is

Sort of but not really for my year. They had someone come talk to us but they kind of danced around and didn't get super specific. @lilylilac were they fairly straight forward with you guys this year or did it seem as clear as mud when they finished their presentation (I'm assuming they still had someone come talk to you guys)?

the way my phone bill works now is that i just transfer $80 a month to my moms account - would i still be able to do it that way ?

sorry, dont mean to overwhelm you with questions.

You will have to switch everything for your car over to Ohio as one of the hoops to jump through

Pretty much. I've heard they could check up on us but I've never heard of it actually happening so I don't know how true that is

Sort of but not really for my year. They had someone come talk to us but they kind of danced around and didn't get super specific. @lilylilac were they fairly straight forward with you guys this year or did it seem as clear as mud when they finished their presentation (I'm assuming they still had someone come talk to you guys)?
Oh it wasn't clear at all, hence all the calling for every little situation haha. Even then, they sometimes can be wishy washy

the way my phone bill works now is that i just transfer $80 a month to my moms account - would i still be able to do it that way ?

sorry, dont mean to overwhelm you with questions.
Yeah I just send a check to my dad with how much I owe. They did mention that they're recognizing that Venmo and transfers are becoming more common, but they kind of prefer the check method still so they can see exactly what the money is for (written in the memo).

Oh it wasn't clear at all, hence all the calling for every little situation haha. Even then, they sometimes can be wishy washy

Yeah I've kind of been suspicious it was going to be like that. My only disappointment when interviewing was that no one could say much of anything about residency...

Yeah I just send a check to my dad with how much I owe. They did mention that they're recognizing that Venmo and transfers are becoming more common, but they kind of prefer the check method still so they can see exactly what the money is for (written in the memo).

I assume they check bank statements is how they confirm?

Yeah I've kind of been suspicious it was going to be like that. My only disappointment when interviewing was that no one could say much of anything about residency...
ive been getting confused because ill ask kelsey conklin something and she'll direct me to the residency office, but then they direct me to fin aid lol
so do you have to keep copies of all the checks you send or ?
i do everything electronically so i figure they can look at my bank statements or something ? ill have to go talk to residency in person when i get there. even the website confuses me lol. I want to make sure i keep everything possible to make sure i get residency .
also i sometimes get paid via paypal for surveys online (lol im broke) and wasnt sure if thats considered ohio income or if i would have to stop - cause honestly the extra 25$ a month actually helps alot..

ive been getting confused because ill ask kelsey conklin something and she'll direct me to the residency office, but then they direct me to fin aid lol
i do everything electronically so i figure they can look at my bank statements or something ? ill have to go talk to residency in person when i get there. even the website confuses me lol. I want to make sure i keep everything possible to make sure i get residency .
also i sometimes get paid via paypal for surveys online (lol im broke) and wasnt sure if thats considered ohio income or if i would have to stop - cause honestly the extra 25$ a month actually helps alot..

I loved her presentation at the interviews...it was honest and realistic and I liked that. I just wanted someone to at least set some ground rules for residency. Oh well...I'm good at bugging people;)

i hope. i have electronic payments for everything
i wonder how they will review credit though bc i do have two credit cards which is where any big purchases go.

For everyone looking at going through the process because you are becoming a Buckeye :love:, don't stress out. It may seem like a lot without much guidance but I haven't heard of many (if any) people being denied. Feel free to PM me, I went through the process the end of my 1st year. Just make sure to call the residency office with any specific questions because they are the ones that decide to approve (https://registrar.osu. edu/Residency/contact_us.asp).

Kelsey Conklin just does financial aid for the vet school and isn't involved in residency for tuition purposes. That part is done on main campus but they bring someone over around orientation/beginning of the semester to talk about the process

They get any and all statements from any credit/debit/bank account you have and they look at all of that. That's also how they determine how many days you were out of state.

I'm not sure how the surveys will work, so I would call. If it were me, I would err on the side of caution and not do them though.

I actually called the residency office a few days ago to ask them to clarify how they will see that you've been a resident/you are independent. The guy told me that basically they go through your bank statements during the "review period" and at that time they will look at the general influx/outflux of funds as well as location stamps to make sure that you are not receiving funds monthly or lump sums to pay things like rent, bills, etc. and that you've actually been spending money in Ohio. He told me that they don't so much look at where the money is coming from/going (in terms of businesses or other people) but rather the amounts. I think I'm going to call them again though, because when I called I was on lunch break at work and was kind of in a hurry to get back.

Also related, I had questions about inheritance money as well for things like family deaths (had a grandparent pass last year, depressing topic I know but I figure this information might help someone). Don't know how many other people this applies to, but they told me in order for that money to be considered legitimate for residency purposes they need a copy of the will, the will must be over 2 years old, and you have to be directly stated in the will that you will be receiving that amount/percentage of their estate.

i actually have worked and live in ohio up until august 2016 . i moved back to philly in september so now that income doesnt count. i should have just kept living there. i make the worst choices lol. all my income and expenses were ohio based.

i actually have worked and live in ohio up until august 2016 . i moved back to philly in september so now that income doesnt count. i should have just kept living there. i make the worst choices lol. all my income and expenses were ohio based.
I worked in Ohio but lived in Kentucky. So less than 8 miles is costing me OOS tuition

I literally grew up on the wrong side of the Ohio River lol It takes me like 2 minutes to drive from my house to OH. So close but so far:p

Most schools don't even allow residency changes, so I'll jump through the hoops without *too much* complaint haha

I literally grew up on the wrong side of the Ohio River lol It takes me like 2 minutes to drive from my house to OH. So close but so far:p

Most schools don't even allow residency changes, so I'll jump through the hoops without *too much* complaint haha

lol well i live about an 8 hour drive to columbus so oos tuition doesnt feel that bad but just knowing that if i had stayed and would have qualified sucks.

You guys, the Columbus IKEA shows up on Google maps now.

Summer 2017

Reactions: 3 users
I've finalized all of the nitty gritty and I'm heading to THE Ohio State next year! I'm so excited and I can't wait to meet you all!
:banana::banana:

Reactions: 9 users