Ohio Issue 2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

causticus

OSU CVM c/0 2014
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been hearing a lot of mixed things about Ohio Issue 2. My understanding is that it is the large industrial farms (and their lobbyist's) attempt to avoid something like a California Prop 2 - so they are pre-emtively proposing this standards board....that they themselves would set up. Isn't this kind of like putting the fox in charge of the hen house? :confused:

I'm a lab rat, so most of my information has come from what I've read, or heard on NPR. I was wondering if anyone else had any thoughts/perspectives on the matter, especially those with more of an ear to what the farming community has to say about it.

Members don't see this ad.

Who should be in charge of animal care standards?

I don't know the details (bit far from Ohio right now) but often these are attempts to 'self police' before outside intrusion on the industry occurs.

I certainly wouldn't want some very active organizations operating vet school, deciding how the profession is operated, etc. I know a lot of farmers who feel the same way. As my folks (run a farm) often say 'why should someone how doesn't know pork = pig tell me how to operate my farm?' There is always room for improvement and such, but I am not a fan of prop 2. Having said that, I am also not a fan of food animal industry (animals owned by companies where there isn't a single individual responsible for their treatment... for obvious reasons I strongly support local agriculture and family farms.

I don't know the details (bit far from Ohio right now) but often these are attempts to 'self police' before outside intrusion on the industry occurs.

That's what it seems like to me, at least from what I have heard. I can see why "self policing" might be better than outside interference, especially from those who don't understand all the complexities involved...but at the same time, how can you trust any large industry to police itself? Obviously they are going to get legislation passed that is in their own best interests, which may NOT align with the best interests of the animals. I don't think another Prop 2 is the answer either - on some level I think it made improvements in animal welfare, but at the same time I think it's going to (if it hasn't already) put a lot of people out of business - and it's the little guys that will probably suffer the most.

That is what I am wondering about Issue 2. I know the large farms are FOR it (which I don't trust, because I am suspicous of any industry that claims it can police itself). I know the Humane Society is AGAINST it (which I am also skeptical of, because they have been strong supporters of things such as the Horse Slaughter ban). What I don't know is how the smaller, family farmers feel about it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi There,

So in our first year we had a professor come and tell us that the head of HSUS came to meet with the OVMA people after Prop 2 was passed in California. We were told that Prop 2's next stop would be here in Ohio. As a result, I think they came up with this pre-emptive issue 2.

Personally I think its a great idea and its about time.

The board that would be formed would have a number of different people on it. I copied and pasted from David594's link on a specific part below:

"The director of the department of agriculture, who would serve as chair of the Board;
Ten members appointed by the Governor with Senate approval, which must include: one family farm representative, one member knowledgeable about food safety in Ohio; two members representing statewide farmer organizations; one veterinarian licensed in Ohio; the State Veterinarian; the dean of an Ohio college or university’s agriculture department; two members of the public representing Ohio consumers; one member representing a county humane society
One family farmer appointed by the Speaker of the Ohio House of Representatives.
One family farmer appointed by the President of the Ohio Senate."

In my opinion this creates a really diversified board so that you can get educated opinions on animal welfare. Unfortunately as we have seen with Prop 2, when the public is allowed to decide the welfare of animals, they are unaware of the consequences that they cause, i.e. Horse Slaughter act, etc...

There are a lot of other states that are taking notice and if this passes hopefully other states will adopt further measures. Hopefully this will give the farm community and veterinary medicine the ability to self-regulate. As you'll hear in school, if we don't regulate ourselves, then we will be regulated by the government and this will impair our abilities to treat animals effectively.

Although NPR is great, I listen to it sometimes, they often are truly not educated as to what really happens in animal agriculture. They get their information from PETA and HSUS, not because they want to, but because veterinarians and the farm community have done a poor job on placing educational resources out for people to look at. That's not anyone's fault but our own, and I hope with this bill we can start to turn that around.

Issue 2 is a terrible idea. The Board is not representative - there's only one member from the humane community....If Ohioans feel strongly that California's Prop 2 shouldn't happen in Ohio, the issues should be debated in the Ohio legislature and by the Ohio public. Issue 2 was rushed through the legislature without such debate....And did you know that dogs are defined as livestock in Ohio? Issue 2 could prevent puppy mill regulation....There is a reason that lots of worthy animal welfare bills fail and/or stall in the Ohio legislature (e.g., protective orders for animals), but Issue 2 would be rushed through.

Btw, major Ohio newspapers oppose Issue 2, as does the Farmers Union, and an Ohio Supreme Court Justice has said Issue 2 is an inappropriate use of the Ohio Constitution.

Luvmydogs,

I'll have to disagree that Issue 2 is a terrible idea. They say there is only one person from the humane community, but there are two from the general public. And what constitutes the humane community? I believe they'll probably use someone from one of the Humane Societies. I have some good relationships with humane society people, and they hate that they are compared frequently to HSUS. They are NOT affiliated with HSUS.

Do you mean that they should have someone from HSUS on that board? I think that would be a mistake because nothing would get done. You need people who are educated, such as veterinarians who can help educate the board about animal matters properly. You need scientists who can tell you the best animal husbandry research that is ongoing. These are all thigns that the Issue 2 board has.

And most Ohio newspapers don't oppose issue 2. Most papers I've read are just publishing that HSUS has said they are going to ignore Issue 2 and push legislation anyway, despite the fact that Ohio voters have made their case. In my opinion, that's not that they are against Issue 2, they are just publishing relevant news.

Here's a quote from the Columbus Dispatch. http://www.dispatch.com/live/conten.../11/06/Plaisted_ART_11-06-09_A14_1VFJ8IF.html

"State Issue 2 provided protection for Ohio's only remaining industry from zealots who would turn the pigs and chickens loose to forage for themselves and who would ban meat and dairy products from our tables. Wise move."

If anything that is the OPPOSITE of opposing Issue 2.

And for whether Issue 2 could prevent puppy mill regulation, it doesn't define dogs as livestock, it merely fails to define livestock in the regulation. See the following website:http://www.ohio.com/news/67471017.html

"The federation believes that claims that Issue 2 covers dogs are ''pretty darn far-fetched . . . and a misinterpretation or deliberate misrepresentation'' of its intent, said Joe Cornely, a spokesman for the Columbus-based farm group.
Delcianna Winders, director of education and advocacy at the New York-based Farm Sanctuary and an opponent of Issue 2, said it is ''an unquestioned possibility'' that Ohio's dog-breeding operations could fall under the jurisdiction of the board, if approved by voters Nov. 3.
The problem is that ''livestock'' is not fully defined in Issue 2 materials, Winders said."

Heck, here is the actual language from the bill:

"This proposed amendment would:
1. Require the state to create the Livestock Care Standards Board to prescribe standards for
animal care and well-being that endeavor to maintain food safety, encourage locally
grown and raised food, and protect Ohio farms and families.
2. Authorize this bipartisan board of thirteen members to consider factors that include, but
are not limited to, agricultural best management practices for such care and well-being,
biosecurity, disease prevention, animal morbidity and mortality data, food safety
practices, and the protection of local, affordable food supplies for consumers when
establishing and implementing standards.
3. Provide that the board shall be comprised of thirteen Ohio residents including
representatives of Ohio family farms, farming organizations, food safety experts,
veterinarians, consumers, the dean of the agriculture department at an Ohio college or
university and a county humane society representative.
4. Authorize the Ohio department that regulates agriculture to administer and enforce the​
standards established by the board, subject to the authority of the General Assembly."

Luvmydogs: Before you start saying that this is bad legislation, please do some research and don't rely on HSUS and PETA for your research, because they are biased. As a veterinary student, I am in support of Issue 2 because I think it will protect the future of our country and protect our food supply. If you would like to discuss this, please respond.

Btw, major Ohio newspapers oppose Issue 2, as does the Farmers Union, and an Ohio Supreme Court Justice has said Issue 2 is an inappropriate use of the Ohio Constitution.

Are you a veterinary resident? or a human med resident?

AllieCat,

I agree, but I don't know how to do that? Well off to work for me!

Thanks!