Ohio State or Cornell?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Elephant.95

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was admitted to the Class of 2021 at both Ohio State and Cornell. Both programs seem pretty similar in terms of quality, breadth, and resources offered. Would any of you recommend OSU over Cornell or vice-a-versa? Two of my biggest concerns are camaraderie among students and mental health and wellbeing. Please help me!!! I only have 1 month to decide!!

Members don't see this ad.

They both work out to be about the same price for me (give or take 10,000 dollars...)
Since I would be OOS at both schools, they'll both be expensive. I didn't get into my in-state school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is that with cost of living and everything taken into consideration?

If the cost isn't going to be too different, you can check the factors when choosing a school thread, there's a document there with pros and cons for most schools listed.

Reactions: 1 user
They both work out to be about the same price for me (give or take 10,000 dollars...)
Since I would be OOS at both schools, they'll both be expensive. I didn't get into my in-state school.
Is that $10,000 including living expenses? Is it the true difference in price over all four years or is it an extra $10,000/year? Also, remember that that extra $10,000 difference isn't JUST $10,000---you'll have additional interest and capitalization to pay on it, as well, which can amount to be a pretty significant sum of money by the time you're finished.

I second WZ's suggestion to check out the Factors When Choosing a School thread if there really isn't going to be much a difference in COA: https://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/factors-when-picking-a-school.580221/page-19

Is that also including that it is possible to switch to IS at OSU after your first year?

I can switch to IS at OSU after the first year, but their first year of tuition is nearly $70,000. I calculated the cost of both schools by accounting for living expenses. Thanks, I'll visit that thread!

I can't speak for either veterinary schools, but I stumbled upon this question so I'll throw out some thoughts I have. I do attend undergrad at Ohio State and I know that the vet school here is moving in the direction of taking mental health very seriously. From what I hear from advisors and faculty connected to the vet school, after a suicide in 2015 of a OSU vet student they have really been taking the time to focus on mental health. Switching to IS tuition is definitely doable, but I have heard to just keep in mind that they watch you (or your bank account) like a hawk! At the same time, I know someone going to Cornell over OSU. Also consider the city of Columbus. I love being at OSU and also having downtown five minutes away to do some fun things! I'm really exhausted so please ignore if any of my sentences didn't make any sense! Good luck with you decision - they are both fantastic schools!

I can't speak for either veterinary schools, but I stumbled upon this question so I'll throw out some thoughts I have. I do attend undergrad at Ohio State and I know that the vet school here is moving in the direction of taking mental health very seriously. From what I hear from advisors and faculty connected to the vet school, after a suicide in 2015 of a OSU vet student they have really been taking the time to focus on mental health. Switching to IS tuition is definitely doable, but I have heard to just keep in mind that they watch you (or your bank account) like a hawk! At the same time, I know someone going to Cornell over OSU. Also consider the city of Columbus. I love being at OSU and also having downtown five minutes away to do some fun things! I'm really exhausted so please ignore if any of my sentences didn't make any sense! Good luck with you decision - they are both fantastic schools!

thanks a bunch!