***Official UTMB-Galveston Class of 2013 Thread***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So what are we supposed to do for financial aid? I filled out the FAFSA, but are there other forms need to fill out? Do they normally not give much instruction on financial aid?

Members don't see this ad.

So what are we supposed to do for financial aid? I filled out the FAFSA, but are there other forms need to fill out? Do they normally not give much instruction on financial aid?
I filled out my FAFSA a week or two ago (including corrections I had to make), and I received an e-mail on March 12 asking me to fill out the 2009/2010 Institutional Scholarship and Grant Verification Form.

Doesn't take that long to finish, just make sure you have a copy of you and your parents' income tax.

If you didn't put your parent's info. on the FAFSA, I don't think they will send you the form. The opening paragraph of the form says something like "...you put your parent's info on the FAFSA indicating you would like to be considered for institutional scholarships..."
I think there is still time to add parent info. to the FAFSA, though...

Members don't see this ad :)
I've heard the Excelsior Condominiums are a great buy on the Island. I have previewed them and was pleasantly surprised. Their landscaping is beautiful, the condo complex surrounds a large courtyard that makes you feel like you are in New Orleans! I haven't found anything prettier for the price and proximity to UTMB! :wow:

Well -- what is the price? Looks nice.

I've heard the Excelsior Condominiums are a great buy on the Island. I have previewed them and was pleasantly surprised. Their landscaping is beautiful, the condo complex surrounds a large courtyard that makes you feel like you are in New Orleans! I haven't found anything prettier for the price and proximity to UTMB! :wow:

have you seen these condos in real life? i was in galvy a few weeks ago and i am pretty sure i saw these and they didnt look as great as the internet.
a lot of the stuff i saw on the internet looked a lot worse in real life... plus on the internet you can't see what it looks like post ike or see what the area around it looks like. but then again- as a female- im more worried about the area around for safety/security reasons...

I think we're going to start looking for housing in Galveston in the next couple weeks. I'm wondering if it is hard to find a decent house within 5 minutes of the school. Seems like many people go for apartments and condos, but isn't it a better investment to buy a house?

I think we're going to start looking for housing in Galveston in the next couple weeks. I'm wondering if it is hard to find a decent house within 5 minutes of the school. Seems like many people go for apartments and condos, but isn't it a better investment to buy a house?

Depends on your view of the markets :p. Houses within 5 mins on the east side of campus don't exist except the fraternity ones (unless you are a hell of a fast walker). I'm not sure what the market is like on the west side of the campus. There are a few people the live in houses over there. Just choose the housing option that fits you best, irrespective of what other people are choosing, just make sure to check it out first. (also, you can buy a condo as well).

have you seen these condos in real life? i was in galvy a few weeks ago and i am pretty sure i saw these and they didnt look as great as the internet.
a lot of the stuff i saw on the internet looked a lot worse in real life... plus on the internet you can't see what it looks like post ike or see what the area around it looks like. but then again- as a female- im more worried about the area around for safety/security reasons...

90% of galveston looks like crap. You can't really go by that. I lived in Villa Marina for a year (ungated, which I prefer), and never felt unsafe. I wouldn't be worried about living in the complexes that perennially attract students, especially Villa Marina, Casa Caribe, and Carleton Courtyards. Tradewinds looks nice too. Theft could be a concern, as I've heard that on occasion (though that's hardly rare at most apts), and I'd stay away from some of the other complexes to the south that seem to have some real characters inhabiting them. Living downtown is an option...there's some nice condos that some people rent out...little more moolah though.

Not really, especially over 4 years. Depends on the market though.

Can someone please comment on the Ferry Road apartments. They seem safe since mostly UTMB students live there. Is this an accurate assumption? I just put a deposit down to reserve a 2 bedroom.

Hi Guys, congratulations on getting into UTMB. I absolutely love it here.

I'm posting this message to find a roommate for next year. I’m currently a female medical student looking for another female student to be roommates. I own a condo right next to campus (Port Aux Prince - Holiday Dr. and Albacore) and want to rent out my extra room. The condo is in a safe quiet area and a short walk/ride to campus. You get your own bathroom with the room and washer/dryer are included in the condo. You will also get a parking spot plus some great advice and books from me. I'm very laid back and come and go quietly.

Let me know if you are interested. You can private message me or email me at [email protected]. I can send you pics and more details.

Abby

Hello, Congratulations on matching to UTMB and starting med school. I'm a graduating UTMB med student who is looking for someone to rent my 1 BR/1Bath condo located at Ferry Road Condominiums - 500 Ferry Rd.

These are not the Ferry road apartments run by the school, they are actually a little bit closer to campus. Place comes with washer/dryer, dishwasher, kitchen, and balcony overlooking the pool. It's on the 2nd floor so sustained absolutely no damage during hurricane Ike although my neighbors below werent as lucky. $750 / month

I did my 3rd and 4th years in Austin, and rented it out to a fellow med student during that time. I cant make it to Galveston to show the place until May. If you have any interest or questions, msg me. I will be out of the country last 2 weeks of April but I'll do my best to respond.

Just got back from Galveston looking at housing. Question for current students, the area around Fish Village/Marina Pointe/Port Aux Prince is very safe, correct? It seemed fairly quiet, but did look a little rough. I'd appreciate any info about the area that anyone could offer up.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got back from Galveston looking at housing. Question for current students, the area around Fish Village/Marina Pointe/Port Aux Prince is very safe, correct? It seemed fairly quiet, but did look a little rough. I'd appreciate any info about the area that anyone could offer up.

The Fish village area is very safe. many faculty, residents, and students live there. I lived on Ferry road which borders fish village and the proximity to UTMB was a huge convenience. There are some apartments with section 8 houses nearby like carelton courtyard, but that's true of pretty much all of galveston. Many of my friends moved from the west side of the island (around walmart and further west) to the east side after growing tired of the commute (you will grow to hate slow-driving tourists).

As of now, it appears as if my wife will have to work in Houston, which means we will probably be living in between near League City. I was wondering how long of a commute it would be everyday from League City to UTMB. Also, what's it like? Are there any suggestions and tips for maximizing the commute time for study purposes? Any personal experiences or advice would be great. Thanks.

Hello all,
This is my first time on here so I appologize if this has already been addressed....

We (my husband and I) are trying to figure out where to live. Any opinions about the benefits of living on or off the island? Do most students live in Galveston?

I have a son who will be almost 1 when school starts...any other moms or dads out there have any advice on good daycares and ones to avoid? Any news about UTMB re-opening their daycare?

As of now, it appears as if my wife will have to work in Houston, which means we will probably be living in between near League City. I was wondering how long of a commute it would be everyday from League City to UTMB. Also, what's it like? Are there any suggestions and tips for maximizing the commute time for study purposes? Any personal experiences or advice would be great. Thanks.

I cant speak as a student who makes this commute but thought I would offer what little insight I have. My husband and I went down there during spring break and we drove to Galveston from Dickinson on 146 (not on 45). It took around 30 minutes. I think League city is a little farther than Dickinson.

Hello all,
This is my first time on here so I appologize if this has already been addressed....

We (my husband and I) are trying to figure out where to live. Any opinions about the benefits of living on or off the island? Do most students live in Galveston?

I have a son who will be almost 1 when school starts...any other moms or dads out there have any advice on good daycares and ones to avoid? Any news about UTMB re-opening their daycare?

You will be very hard pressed to find a daycare without a waiting list of over a year for an infant. The majority of the centers were wiped out after Ike and aren't back/aren't coming back. Most of them were also low-income, government subsidized type places that I'm not sure you would want your child attending. I have a 6 month old that I would not put there...

There are no *public* immediate plans to open up the UTMB daycare that I have heard. The building looks just as empty as it did when we got back from Ike. I live off the island and would trust some of the places in mid-Galveston county much more than any of the ones on the island. I do have a classmate who has her child in a daycare on the island around 45th Street, but I do not know the name of it.

As far as living arrangements go I chose to move off the island after my first year. I am married and have a 6 month old son. I live in La Marque right off of 45 and it takes my exactly 25min from my driveway to the parking garage at UTMB. It takes a little longer at 730am & 5pm rush hour but not much. League City is about 40-45minutes - you can go 146 or I45. I45 in League City is under lots of construction right now so its best to avoid that if you can. I love where I live - if you have any questions feel free to email me.
[email protected]

I commute from La Marque (about 11 exits south of League City) and it takes me 25min each way. I've mostly used the time as "relax" time because my brain needs a break. Lately I have been preparing for Step 1 and listening to Goljan audio tapes. You'll learn a lot more about them 2nd year, and it is great to have that built in ~1hr to listen while you commute. League City is a much, much nicer area than anything you would find in Galveston - and you will have the option of doing your 3rd year entirely in Houston if you would want to move there then.

I commute from La Marque (about 11 exits south of League City) and it takes me 25min each way. I've mostly used the time as "relax" time because my brain needs a break. Lately I have been preparing for Step 1 and listening to Goljan audio tapes. You'll learn a lot more about them 2nd year, and it is great to have that built in ~1hr to listen while you commute. League City is a much, much nicer area than anything you would find in Galveston - and you will have the option of doing your 3rd year entirely in Houston if you would want to move there then.

Ok, thanks for the info. For some reason when I visited League City, everyone consistently said that Galveston was about 15-20 minutes away and I was thinking that wasn't bad at all. But you and mapquest both say its around 45 minutes, which to me is too much of a hassle to deal with, especially first year before I've had time to get accustomed to med school. I'll have to check out La Marque.

When does waitlist movement usually start up for UTMB?

Who is going to Quest this year?

Can someone who has gone in the past comment on Quest? (is it fun, beneficial, etc)

Thanks

Hello UTMB Class of 2013. Might be joining you guys soon.

Who is going to Quest this year?

Can someone who has gone in the past comment on Quest? (is it fun, beneficial, etc)

Thanks

Hello,

Quest is a blast. Starting this yr though they are changing it so that its free, but required. They are gonna tie in some of the other stuff that is normally on monday of orientation and its going to be 1 day instead of 2 to allow for more time to get settled in. Hope that answers your question! Welcome to UTMB!

Have they rebuilt any of the frat houses for those of us who might be looking for cheap housing first year?

Have they rebuilt any of the frat houses for those of us who might be looking for cheap housing first year?

My fraternity house was untouched, Theta Kappa Psi. Phi Beta Pi and Phi Chi got their damaged repaired already.

Ok so my parents are probably buying a house in Fish Village today. There is nothing that would be generally more recommended as far as housing (on the island), right?

how do students feel about living on the island ?

1)they hate it and try to get away every chance they get
2) the "charm" grows on them
3) they are too busy to care
4) other, please explain

Has anyone heard from financial aid??? I haven't heard from anyone; i might try and contact someone at student services this week. It's geeting close and I'm just a little nervous not knowing how everything will be paid for.

Has anyone heard from financial aid??? I haven't heard from anyone; i might try and contact someone at student services this week. It's geeting close and I'm just a little nervous not knowing how everything will be paid for.

Hey I don't remember finding out until like July. Their office is slow as hell.

Damn, that's along time! Well now I know what to expect. Thanks for the reply.
Aren't we all guaranteed to get enough aid to pay for tuition and fees as well as housing? What is it that people are excited to find out?

I just filled out my FAFSA last night so I hope being later than most people doesn't adversely affect my financial aid.

Aren't we all guaranteed to get enough aid to pay for tuition and fees as well as housing? What is it that people are excited to find out?

I just filled out my FAFSA last night so I hope being later than most people doesn't adversely affect my financial aid.

Yeah, you will have sufficient fund access. Everyone (well most people) just has to get used to 100k+ of loans.

A couple of questions:

1. Does anyone know if it is possible to get enough financial aid to support a family of 3? I would like my husband to stay home with our son for at least the first year so I was wondering if I can get enough in loans to make this happen? Has anyone else managed to do this with out help from family?

2. I know this is trivial but...what do most people wear to class/lab? Is there anything that we need or anyone would recommend (clothing, certain shoes, etc)?

hello everyone,

I am a first year looking to sublease a room for the month of June if anyone is interested. The room would be available from May 29 til June 26. It is located at the Chateau Lafitte complex on Holiday. It is a two bedroom apartment but only one room would be available. about 12 min walking distance to Levin Hall. Master bedroom including bathroom. Rent is $500, all bills included except internet. $100 deposit required. Washer and dryer included. If you are interested or have any questions please e-mail me at [email protected]. oh and preferably female. thanks. :)

-Daisy

Check your e-mail for financial aid stuff...i just got an e-mail

If you look at the financial aid award letter...what does the FDL and FDLU stand for?

nvm i know what it means now... but i wonder what the normal percentage of FDL is..

Last edited:
What does it mean? I cant even begin to understand my letter. And how do we log in to finaid portal?

fdl is subsidized...meaning no interest while in school

fdlu is unsub

you have to fill out some form and send it in to get access to that site. go to the site and there is a link on the left that talks about new students...

We officially got word today that the school, who owns our house, will finish rebuilding the house. its going to be done before y'all start in August. We sent out a flier in the packet the school sent you with a lot of details, but we can now say all the rooms are going to be redone. We are a coed fraternity with a long standing history at UTMB. Rent will still be $425 a month including four dinners a week. if anybody is interested or wants more details, email me at [email protected] and if you are in town, swing by and somebody will be more than happy to show you around. the house is on campus across from the rec center at 401 Mechanic St. Congrats on the acceptances and enjoy your freedom this summer.

Hey everyone,

I got accepted at UTMB and I am really excited about coming there this fall!

So.....I have never done this loan thing and I just got my financial aid e-mail notification today. Thanks for already explaining the cryptic FDL & FDLU stuff. My real question is, on average what your current med student budget like? I know it will all depend on housing and your family situation, but how much do you think one person needs per month to live off (not including housing since it is so variable)? I am just trying to get an idea, so I know how much of the FDLU loans to accept.

Thanks and look forward to meeting you all this fall,

Ben

Hey everyone,

I got accepted at UTMB and I am really excited about coming there this fall!

So.....I have never done this loan thing and I just got my financial aid e-mail notification today. Thanks for already explaining the cryptic FDL & FDLU stuff. My real question is, on average what your current med student budget like? I know it will all depend on housing and your family situation, but how much do you think one person needs per month to live off (not including housing since it is so variable)? I am just trying to get an idea, so I know how much of the FDLU loans to accept.

Thanks and look forward to meeting you all this fall,

Ben

Max out and enjoy life...

Ok not really, that's what I did but eh. Average housing probably will run you 700-800 (solo), 400-600 (with roommate), 350-450 (fraternity or dorms), then factor in if you want cable/internet or if it comes with where you live, then if you have car payments/insurance, cell phone bill, fun money, etc. Groceries depends on what you like to buy or if it comes with where you live. I dunno, this doesn't give any raw numbers, but gives you some things to consider. It really does depend on how you want to live.

Damn, finding housing is turning out to be harder than I thought it was going to be. I thought I was going to live in Fish Village but now I'm not sure I want to spend that much on those kinds of houses. What is everyone else doing about housing?

The easiest thing to do isrent an apartment at utmb ferry road apartments and once you get adjusted, start looking for other places you might want to live. The ferry road apartments are owned by utmb so the rent is relatively inexpensive. Plus itincludes electricand water bill. They aren't luxuary, but they are clean and safe. Go check them out. I know of several other new students that are going to be renting there, including myself. Ultimately you need to go down there soon and explore yourself; take everyone's opinion with a grain of salt.

A couple of questions:

1. Does anyone know if it is possible to get enough financial aid to support a family of 3? I would like my husband to stay home with our son for at least the first year so I was wondering if I can get enough in loans to make this happen? Has anyone else managed to do this with out help from family?

I doubt that is gonna happen. It is unlikely that you will be able to get more than the cost of attendance but there is no harm in trying.

2. I know this is trivial but...what do most people wear to class/lab? Is there anything that we need or anyone would recommend (clothing, certain shoes, etc)?

Class - wear normal clothes. For the love of god and everything that is holy, dont wear your white coat. You will look like a tool.

Lab - just wear clothes you dont care about so you can throw them away after GAR is over or get some scrubs.

Dont worry about all that too much

Hi all,
I am starting my MD/PhD program at UTMB at the end of june. I got one of the Ferry road apartments, but I am looking one roommate. You share will be $355 including utilities. The apartments are very spacious and have a living room, dining room and a fully equipped kitchen.

I am a clean and tidy male. You can either move in at the same time as me or later if you're moving to Galveston in August or another date.
Cheers