~*~*~Official USUHS Class of 2011 Thread~*~*~

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am currently a third year medical student at USUHS. Congrats to all who are accepted for the class of 2011. I recently switched from the Air Force to the Navy because my wife is in the Navy. Would anyone like to buy them? I'm asking 50% of what I paid for them. Most of them I only wore a few times. If you are interested contact me at [email protected] and I will send you sizes/details.

Attachments

• Uniform Items For Sale.xls
    16 KB · Views: 172
Hi all. I am also an official member of the class of 2011. I have done Army ROTC for the last four years and that is about as much as I have for prior service. I'm all commissioned and have all my paperwork ready to go.

I am looking for a roommate or roommates to join in renting a townhouse. If you are interested check this listing out and shoot me an email: http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/doc/sha/344818379.html

I look forward to meeting some of you in San Antonio June 10th. Go Army!

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anybody in Navy received their orders? I'm worried that mine might have been sent to the same address as my oath, instead of my current address again. Just wanted to know if it was time to start panicking....

Has anybody in Navy received their orders? I'm worried that mine might have been sent to the same address as my oath, instead of my current address again. Just wanted to know if it was time to start panicking....

I don't know of anyone Navy who has orders in hand yet.... last I heard that'd be out last week...:laugh::confused:

In the interest of giving people a heads up - please post here and/or on facebook when the first Navy guy gets his/her orders!

I'm going uniform shopping tomorrow with my Dad :) He is really excited about all of this (and of course I am, too!)

I don't know of anyone Navy who has orders in hand yet.... last I heard that'd be out last week...:laugh::confused:

In the interest of giving people a heads up - please post here and/or on facebook when the first Navy guy gets his/her orders!

I know, I was told that they would be issued June 1. ::shrugs:: Glad that I'm not the only one that hasn't received them, but it's not cool that we're all becoming nervous waiting for them.

I just got the advance copy of orders 45 minutes ago in my email. Heads up!

Received mine today. Commissioning docs arrived too.

Just received my orders via email yesterday, along with my oath of office documents by snail mail the day before......

CONGRATS TO EVERYONE ON THEIR WAY TO OIS, OBC OR COT!!!! Don't worry (for those of you who are), it'll be a breeze. I can't wait to see all of you in August. I don't have to redo indoc because of the Naval Academy, but I'm sure we'll be able to swap some good stories.

If anyone is still looking for housing in Bethesda, I rented a 4 bed/ 2 bath two level house 2.5 miles from USUHS off of Connecticut Ave. Its a walk to the bus or two blocks from a bike path that runs right next to USUHS. check out my posting on Craigslist: http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/mld/apa/347871491.html. I'm also listed on Sublet.com, allspaces.com, and the USUHS and NIH housing bulletins (it's the house on Cam Ct). I really want to fill it with USUHS students (for obvious reasons), but I've got to fill it somehow, so if you're interested, let me know soon!

Good luck with it all and I'll see you in August!

Steve

Does anyone have the website where we can go to arrange our flights to OIS, or are we responsible for making our own flight arrangements?

Reposted from Navy OIS, USUHS 2011 Facebook group...

Travel Arrangements to OIS and from OIS to USUHS. Make the travel arrangements yourself. SAVE YOUR RECEIPTS!!!!!!!! You can turn in your receipts when you check-in here at USUHS. You will have a couple of hours of in processing to do.
When you get to OIS, you will be put into 3 divisions. Each division will have a treasurer. He is in charge of money, more importantly, you give him the money for food (breakfast, lunch, dinner). So bring cash for the first two to three weeks. You many not have time/be allowed to leave the quarters the first few weeks. Food costs about $11/day. Bring money for uniforms; they do accept credit.
Let me know what else you guys have quesitons with. I was in your shoes last year!

Respectfully,
Andrew C. Kung
ENS, MC, USN

Hi everyone,

So, i was finally accepted for the Army on June 6th. To be honest, I had kind of given up on USUHS so I am really pumped. I know i missed the training in Texas, but Joan Stearman told me there will be a shorter one held at USUHS later. I still haven't received any orders/instructions and i really have no clue what i am supposed to be doing. Does anyone know when the training at USUHS begins? How long does it usually take to receive orders? I am still working a full-time job and want to give them a rough idea of when i'll be leaving.

Also, what should we be doing as far as uniforms. Does USUHS send you a list of what exactly you need to buy before showing up? I'm just a little confused and anxious about what the next step is.

Looking forward to seeing you all in August!

Does anyone have the website where we can go to arrange our flights to OIS, or are we responsible for making our own flight arrangements?

Whoever is processing the paperwork for your commission should be able to book a ticket for you through SATO. I received my ticket confirmation a few hours after my processors received my orders.

I have a question that may have been asked before...

If I am not prior military, do I start getting paid when I start COT? It wouldn't be a big deal, but I don't have a lot of savings.

Hello,
If anyone is looking for housing, I was contacted by a recent USUHS grad who is preparing to leave the area and wants to rent her condo. Email contact is:
[email protected]. She asked that I help spread the word. Please feel free to contact her if interested.

I have a question that may have been asked before...

If I am not prior military, do I start getting paid when I start COT? It wouldn't be a big deal, but I don't have a lot of savings.

So this reply will probably be to late - sorry!! But in case it helps at all.

You will begin acrueing pay from the moment you are at COT and whatever "travel" time is alloted from you destination. But you won't acutally get paid anything until your first "payday". All military members are paid on the 15th (actually on the evening of the 14th unless it falls on a weekend in which case utmoves to the next non-holiday eve) and on the last day of the month (again, on the evening prior unless it is a holiday or weekend).

That being said, you'll probably have a few early pay periods that aren't correct and it often take more than one pay period to actually GET paid. There are loans available from places like USAA if you need some cash to tide you over. Hope this helps!

My wife and I just completed our househunting and we are renting a great house in Silver Spring...we actually found the rental listing on the Spouses Club website of USUHS. Some parts of Silver Spring are extremely pricey and others are run down, so you have to be a little choosey, but the Four Corners area seems really nice and I have found a short cut from Forest Glen road to USUHS (13 mins with no traffic) I have even got my bike route all figured out. I-270 and Connecticut Ave (Rt 355) just seemed too much hassle for me to drive in the mornings.:eek:

BTW, the Sligo Creek and Rock Creek bike paths are mostly for off-road, but apparently the Beach Drive (in Rock Creek) and Sligo Creek Pkwy (in Sligo Creek Park) are closed to cars on weekends to make them safer for bike riders.:thumbup:

BTW, the Sligo Creek and Rock Creek bike paths are mostly for off-road, but apparently the Beach Drive (in Rock Creek) and Sligo Creek Pkwy (in Sligo Creek Park) are closed to cars on weekends to make them safer for bike riders.:thumbup:

I can't speak for Sligo Creek park, but Beach Dr through Rock Creek is really well traveled by road bikers every morning (and afternoon and weekend.... :laugh:) So you won't be "alone and unafraid" during the commute.

I'm biking in - though I have an "urban" bike (thicker tires than a road bike, but not as knubby as a moutain bike - worst of both worlds come to think of it!!), so going on the trail isn't a problem. The trail is fully paved throughout though... I wouldn't take a road bike on it though - it has some rough asphalt in parts. From the intersection of Cedar Ln and Beach to Connecticut there is another trail that keeps you out of traffic again.

Hopefully some of my rambling helps someone else! :)

Hi everyone! Lookin forward to seeing you all on Monday!

Hi all - the detailed schedule for next week is available on the USUHS site. 0700 start on Monday, 0630 (for Navy only) on Tuesday!! ACK!! :eek:

http://www.usuhs.mil/medschool/MSIInprocessingSchedule07.xls

Also, since I can't get onto Facebook - someone who can might want to post this info there. Thanks!
See you next week.