~*~*~Official USUHS Class of 2011 Thread~*~*~

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2ZRSQ!

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! Just wanted to go ahead and start this thread so those of us SDN'ers who are going to USUHS can get to know each other! Drop a line when you hear ~Kristen

Members don't see this ad.

I got into USUHS, but Kristen is a tool for starting this thread.

you might want to move this to the allopathic class threads...

Members don't see this ad :)
When did you guys interview? I interviewed on October 19th and have not heard from them yet. Maybe it will happen next week. Anyway, congrats on getting accepted. What branch did you guys put? I put army.

I interviewed on the first day of interviews, September 28th. I didn't actually get a letter until the 25th of october. They told us that it takes 4-6 weeks to make a decision. I put Navy down, but I'm in Naval ROTC so I really didn't have a choice.:D Good luck!

I have applied to this school but haven't heard back yet- is this a bad sign?

Got my acceptances today!!! I am excited.

Got accepted a few days back! Any other civilians here getting ready for the transition like me? Does anyone have any advice - I'm not completely sure what to expect!

I am a civilian and I also do not know what to expect. I am curious about the opportunities to specialize. I hear that a lot of graduates end up going into primary care. I wonder if there is a list of last years graduating class and where they went in for residency. However, it does seem very exciting to say the least.

Hey guys, congrats on your acceptances. I interviewed on 12 Oct, and found out (via phone call) on 8 Nov.

I was accepted Navy, and I'm currently active duty Navy, so if you have any questions about what it's like, post them and I'll try to check up on the thread every now and then. I can talk a little bit about military medicine, a little bit more about Army and Air Force, and a lot about the Navy in general.

Hello everyone!
I interviewed on October 4 and received my acceptance letter a month later. I will be commissioned in the Navy and am a civilian with no previous military background. I am wondering what to expect at OIS this summer and what the housing situation is like in Bethesda.

Website for Navy Officer Indoctrination School:
https://otcn.netc.navy.mil/ois/

Has anyone received their unconditional acceptance packet yet?

Happy New Year!

I do not think that they have sent unconditional acceptances yet. I think they were going to start sometime in February, but I could be wrong. Anyway, I just got all of my stuff cleared for my physical so I think I am good to go.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats to all of the people with acceptances! I interviewed on 11/16, but had to wait until the school received my "Letter of Approval" to apply (any other active duty officers know exactly what I am talking about) before I could be considered for admission. USUHS received the letter on Friday, so I am hoping to be receiving good news in the very near future!

BTW, I do not believe the school has to wait until a specific timeframe to offer unconditional acceptances. This is based entirely upon whether or not your commissioning physical is complete (and you are determined to be qualified), and whether or not your security clearance paperwork is complete (and you are eligible for a SECRET clearance).

Congrats to everyone accepted! I interviewed on 11/16 and am still impatiently waiting. Hopefully I'll see you Army kids in June and the rest in August. Congrats again!

Yeah, good luck watervmi. Hopefully I will see you in June in good old San Antonio. But I am still trying to decide between USUHS and a medical state school. I think what make the decision so hard is that the military is foreign to me since I do not have any prior experience. However, I do have a lot of family members that were in the military. ANd many good friends that are in the military and they all love it. We shall see, lots of thinking to do about the whole thing. But good luck in the whole acceptance process.

Hey Guys,
Congrats on everyone who has gotten accepted so far, for everyone else just keep your fingers crossed, I know waiting is the most frustrating part of this whole process. Anywhoo, I was wondering if anyone knew of where most students opt to live while going to school at USUHS. I'm currently looking for an apartment. Any help would be awesome.

Congrats guys. I go for interview in two weeks. I applied in Oct and got an email a couple days ago.

I have been recommended for acceptance to USUHS, but I didn't get into PHS which was my first choice. I'm currently contemplating the Navy, but I know absolutely nothing about what military life is like (no military experience), or at least what life after USUHS would be like (I work at USUHS now). I'm married with a child, so that's a consideration too. Any advice/opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Congrats to all of you accepted to USU. Several of the posters here are contemplating attending USUHS and are stating they don't know much if anything about the military.

I would ask that you please visit the military medicine forum here on SDN and read some of the stickies/posts regarding military medicine today. Please feel free to pm the regular posters and we would be happy to talk to you over the phone.

You are committing a significant part of your professional life and letting the military determine many aspects of your future, so please make sure you know what you are getting into.

I have been recommended for acceptance to USUHS, but I didn't get into PHS which was my first choice. I'm currently contemplating the Navy, but I know absolutely nothing about what military life is like (no military experience), or at least what life after USUHS would be like (I work at USUHS now). I'm married with a child, so that's a consideration too. Any advice/opinions would be greatly appreciated.

What does your husband do for a living? Does his career provide some flexibility with regard to relocating every 3 - 4 years? Do you have a specialty that you are primarily interested in at this point? Have you considered the possibility of having to do a GMO tour before completing the residency of your choice?

I'm an active duty submarine officer, and my wife is an active duty fourth year Ob/Gyn resident who graduated from USUHS, so if you have any specific questions, please do not hesitate to PM me.

Best of luck to you!

Just got the acceptance call from Mrs. Stearman!!!!!!!!! See you guys in August! Best day ever!

Just got the acceptance call from Mrs. Stearman!!!!!!!!! See you guys in August! Best day ever!

Congrats!!! We interviewed on the same day, but I am not sure if we ever introduced ourselves.

I received my offer of admission by phone today!!! I'm in too!!!

CONGRATS MAN! See you in August!

Has anyone gotten their unconditional acceptance yet?? I have my conditional acceptance and I just got qualified for my physical about a month ago. I am just wondering what the hold up may be.

I spoke with the office and they said they hadn't even started working on the packets for unconditional acceptance. I sent them my fall 06 grades and this semester's classes.

I just received my first interview invite in this application cycle to USUHS for February 1st! I'm trhilled, and nervous. I have no idea what to expect from a military medical school interview, let alone a med school interview at all.

Can anyone please discuss your experience during your interview day? I want to take advantage of the host and sponsor program so that I can get the students' perspective.

Any info will be much appreciated!

Congratulations to everyone who has already been accepted.

I don't know about everyone else, but at my interview things were very relaxed. All the interviewees checked in (there are 20-30 per day), then we sat around and ate some breakfast and talked with each other for a while. Then we were briefed by several people, given a tour by current students, and turned in our security forms. Each applicant has two interviews with people who could be current students, faculty, or others (so they could be 25yo or 65yo). Each interview lasted about 30 min. and was very relaxed and one-on-one. Make sure you know exactly why you want to be in the military and why military medicine is what you want to do. Everyone, including the interviewers were very relaxed and made me very comfortable.

Thanks Operator74656. Good info to know. How does it compare with your other interviews? The invite email states I'll be receiving information about background checks in about 2 weeks. I will be interviewing in less than 2 weeks. I'll give them a call about that. Are these the security forms you were referring to? I'm an non-trad working in the aerospace industry. I currently already have my clearances. I wonder if that will speed things up a bit, and if I can skip this part. The forms I had to fill out previously were really long and cumbersome.

Thanks Operator74656. Good info to know. How does it compare with your other interviews? The invite email states I'll be receiving information about background checks in about 2 weeks. I will be interviewing in less than 2 weeks. I'll give them a call about that. Are these the security forms you were referring to? I'm an non-trad working in the aerospace industry. I currently already have my clearances. I wonder if that will speed things up a bit, and if I can skip this part. The forms I had to fill out previously were really long and cumbersome.

I'll echo Operator's comments regarding the interview day - very relaxed. The major difference between the USUHS interview day and that of other schools is the fact that you have to meet with the security personnel to discuss your background check.

I already had a TS/SCI clearance, so my meeting with them was very straightforward. Once they verified my clearance in the JPAS system, I was done. If your clearance information is stored in JPAS, you will not have to complete the background check forms either. If you obtained your clearance from outside the DoD/OPM, I am not sure how they will handle your situation.

Good luck on your interviews!

I am coming straight out of undergrad without prior military experience so Danjo will know much more about the security aspect than I will. Also, since USUHS was my first choice and my first interview, I got my acceptance before any of my other interviews so I cancelled them (less money to spend!).
You may want to call Ms. Nelly Alvarez (301-319-4124) about your security issues - maybe you can get out of itbut it will probably be more of a pain than just redoing it.

Hello Everybody,
I interviewed on 11/16 and just got my conditional acceptance letter today.

I also had to have special approval process as I am a reserve officer with the USPHS, but I am switching to the Navy and go through OIS. I noticed there were a few people from the 11/16 group, it will be good to see you again in the Fall.

I also had prior security clearence with the USPHS. However, I just refilled out the forms as it took about 20 minutes, and I knew it would get done versus going through Rockville (our headquarters) , as they always seem to take longer.

Hello Everybody,
I interviewed on 11/16 and just got my conditional acceptance letter today.

I also had to have special approval process as I am a reserve officer with the USPHS, but I am switching to the Navy and go through OIS. I noticed there were a few people from the 11/16 group, it will be good to see you again in the Fall.

Congrats on the acceptance!!! Yeah, we interviewed on the same day! I'm not sure if we met or not - there was a decent number of people interviewing that day!

I'm still trying to figure out which school I am going to attend, but USUHS is definitely in the top 3!

Congratulations on your acceptance as well - I guess I will see you in June at Newport, RI.

Congrats! 11/16 interviewees represent! Has anyone looked into the living situation yet? I'm assuming the cost of living is through the roof. Any thoughts?

Congrats! 11/16 interviewees represent! Has anyone looked into the living situation yet? I'm assuming the cost of living is through the roof. Any thoughts?

Yeah, Bethesda is super expensive. I am looking into some of the areas that are up the Metro Red Line - Gaithersburg & Rockville. Obviously, the farther you get from Bethesda, the less expensive the housing becomes.

Anything along the same stretch as Bethesda on the Metro Red Line will be pretty convenient as far as transportation goes.

Good plan. I think I even remember someone saying USUHS provides students with a credited Metro pass. Yet another benefit.

what do most people do in the area - invest in a townhome or just rent for four years?

The few (3) people that I know all rent. I really don't want to rent for 4 more years though. If you, worst-case scenario, break even on selling a home upon graduation you have essentially saved yourself $67,200 (assuming $1300/mo. rent). This is definitely an approximation...but buying a home seems like a better investment.

Good plan. I think I even remember someone saying USUHS provides students with a credited Metro pass. Yet another benefit.

Really?? I don't remember hearing this... anyone else know about this? We are looking at a few houses within a mile of the metro and while I knew it was convenient, this might push it over the edge..... Hmmm....:thumbup:

Runningmom have you decided between USUHS or San Antonio?? I take by your post that you decided USUHS, but I am just curious.

Hey everyone. I just got invited to interview in February so I'm excited about that. Concerning the physical. When does it need to be done by? Do they make decisions regarding your application before the physical is complete? I took the MEPS physical for HPSP last year but I didn't get in, the e-mail indicates that they don't accept MEPS (which is a bummer) so does anyone know the difference between the MEPS and the one we take for USUHS? Thanks!

Hey everyone. I just got invited to interview in February so I'm excited about that. Concerning the physical. When does it need to be done by? Do they make decisions regarding your application before the physical is complete? I took the MEPS physical for HPSP last year but I didn't get in, the e-mail indicates that they don't accept MEPS (which is a bummer) so does anyone know the difference between the MEPS and the one we take for USUHS? Thanks!

Posting for the first time under my new username!

Anyways, I don't know the exact details regarding the differences between a MEPS physical and a DoDMERB physical - that's really not that important. ;)

To answer a couple of your questions:
(1) You need to get your physical done ASAP. You cannot be commissioned until you have been determined to be physically qualified by DoDMERB. Based on the need to complete your officer basic training (depending on which service in which you receive a commission), I would guess that this needs to be done no later than June/July.
(2) The fact that your physical is not yet complete will have no bearing on the Admissions Committee's decision regarding your application. You would simply receive a "conditional acceptance" instead of an "unconditional acceptance." Once you have been determined to be physically qualified, and eligible for a security clearance, you will be upgraded to an "unconditional acceptance."

If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to PM me. I can only answer questions about the Navy, so if you are curious about Air Force or Army, you would be better off asking another individual. I highly encourage you to check out the Military Medicine forum of SDN.

Congrats on the interview, and good luck!

I would ask that you please visit the military medicine forum here on SDN and read some of the stickies/posts regarding military medicine today. Please feel free to pm the regular posters and we would be happy to talk to you over the phone.

can you post a link to the military medicine forum? i've looked for it, but haven't found it. thanks!

We're doin', we're doin', we're doin', we're doin', we're doin' the Bumpty Bump!

Got tired of scrolling down the page to find the thread! ;)

Hey everyone. I just got invited to interview in February so I'm excited about that. Concerning the physical. When does it need to be done by? Do they make decisions regarding your application before the physical is complete?

Kodiak - I just found some information that is relevant to your question. In the packet of information I received from USUHS on my interview day, it clearly states the following:

1. Schedule physical examination within 2 weeks of notification from DoDMERB. If DoDMERB notification is not received within 2 weeks after your interview, contact USUHS.

2. Failure to schedule, keep, or complete the physical examination will be considered a withdrawal of your application.

3. Any required follow-up tests should be arranged within 2 weeks of receiving notification. Failure to do so may result in withdrawal of an offer of admission.

4. After April 15, 2007 - an applicant on the waiting list will not be offered a place in the class unless physically qualified (read physical complete - with a decision that you are physically qualified).

Hope this helps with your scheduling! Again, good luck. Please don't hesitate to contact me if you have any other questions!