Official Umdnj-som Class Of 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What a silly question! I can't believe we both got accepted to the same school .

:laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

Since you're the housing expert I thought I'd pose this question to you: do any of the housing complexes offer free internet services?? I only ask b/c I already have a cell phone and would like to avoid having to pay for the extra phone/wireless expense.

I'm going to be one broke kid over these next few years:rolleyes:

far from being an expert :rolleyes: but i dunno of any complex that offers free internet. if u find any, b sure 2 tell me! most of us have either comcast (triple play w/ cable and phone) or verizon dsl. i have verizon and paid extra 4 the faster line and wireless cuz i have a laptop and like 2 move around in the apt when i study. couldn't imagine being stuck at a desk w/ a desktop but that's just me. though i have a couple of friends w/ large laptops that we like 2 joke r 'portable desktops'. plus i take my laptop 2 school since i type my lecture notes (when i do go). i don't have a landline and it wasn't required 4 me 2 get my dsl. i do have free hbo (so i can watch my entourage and sopranos) but then so do alot of ppl at echelon glen that i know. it was a sweet day when i discovered it. u can find deals for about $20/month 4 dsl. i think i pay $35 since i have wireless. yeah, i understand the meaning of broke totally. i was gonna b short summer rent except that i just got awarded a summer research fellowship grant. and if u're like me and like laptops and don't have one, its sth good 2 invest in 4 school. that and a 2 GB flashdrive. found that useful so many times...sometimes they don't post outside lecturers' powerpoints and the lecturer is nice enough 2 leave it on the classroom computer after the lecture. and somehow it never gets on2 webct so just pop it on ur flashdrive and go.

what about all those UMDNJ - MEDICINE sweatshirts people were wearing?

the black and gray sweatshirts w/ UMDNJ-SOM in red were thru the ortho club. joma, the jewish club, also made sweatshirts but the letters were embroidered on and i think they came in more colors like also red.

yes, our lame school store opens 1 hr a week (wed from 12-1 pm) and most of the items r sponsored/made by EC clubs but b/t them, they have most of the usual things, sweatshirts, scrubs, mugs, tshirts, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
far from being an expert :rolleyes: but i dunno of any complex that offers free internet. if u find any, b sure 2 tell me! most of us have either comcast (triple play w/ cable and phone) or verizon dsl. i have verizon and paid extra 4 the faster line and wireless cuz i have a laptop and like 2 move around in the apt when i study. couldn't imagine being stuck at a desk w/ a desktop but that's just me. though i have a couple of friends w/ large laptops that we like 2 joke r 'portable desktops'. plus i take my laptop 2 school since i type my lecture notes (when i do go). i don't have a landline and it wasn't required 4 me 2 get my dsl. i do have free hbo (so i can watch my entourage and sopranos) but then so do alot of ppl at echelon glen that i know. it was a sweet day when i discovered it. u can find deals for about $20/month 4 dsl. i think i pay $35 since i have wireless. yeah, i understand the meaning of broke totally. i was gonna b short summer rent except that i just got awarded a summer research fellowship grant. and if u're like me and like laptops and don't have one, its sth good 2 invest in 4 school. that and a 2 GB flashdrive. found that useful so many times...sometimes they don't post outside lecturers' powerpoints and the lecturer is nice enough 2 leave it on the classroom computer after the lecture. and somehow it never gets on2 webct so just pop it on ur flashdrive and go.

Thanks Alchemist (Betty Right?). Are you going to be at the housing day?

the black and gray sweatshirts w/ UMDNJ-SOM in red were thru the ortho club. joma, the jewish club, also made sweatshirts but the letters were embroidered on and i think they came in more colors like also red.

yes, our lame school store opens 1 hr a week (wed from 12-1 pm) and most of the items r sponsored/made by EC clubs but b/t them, they have most of the usual things, sweatshirts, scrubs, mugs, tshirts, etc.

Cool - I want to be in a club w/a sweatshirt! :laugh:
Hey guys - 4 years from yesterday will be our big match day....! :D

I'm still enjoying your acceptance to medical school. haha...Match day will be extra stressful :scared:

not if you do the osteopathic match, that match occurs earlier (in Feb)

so Paula still hasn't called me back.... I gave up calling once a week since it does not seem to be working. Guess I will just wait and see.

so Paula still hasn't called me back.... I gave up calling once a week since it does not seem to be working. Guess I will just wait and see.

Isn't it past your self imposed deadline? Did you change it? :confused:
Good luck either way. It's great to read when people get into their #1 top choice school, whenever it happens! :luck:

Thanks Alchemist (Betty Right?). Are you going to be at the housing day?

dunno. i haven't talked 2 paula about helping out w/ it yet - really busy this semester w/ community service activities outside of school as well as school ECs. i was trying 2 put 2gether an apt guide where we all wrote about our personal experiences w/ our particular complexes 2 give u guys the real low down (not the lovely models they'll of course show u) but as u'll learn once u come, sometimes its hard 2 get admin 2 agree on such projects due 2 liability issues. i'm still waiting 2 hear back from them about my student host proposal i submitted during xmas break. they told me they have 2 work thru the liabilities in case sth happens 2 an interviewing student while staying w/ a student host b4 they'll give me permission 2 proceed. i'll try 2 help out w/ housing day. isn't that the same day as accepted students day? i know some of the ppl that threw 'around the world' party during accepted students days in the past but i dunno if they still plan 2 do it this yr (guess i'll ask).

i'll try 2 help out w/ housing day. isn't that the same day as accepted students day? i know some of the ppl that threw 'around the world' party during accepted students days in the past but i dunno if they still plan 2 do it this yr (guess i'll ask).

Yes - they are 1 and the same, I believe. Hope to see you there, party or not!

Members don't see this ad :)

Once a week is too often, IMO. Emails are better too, b/c they keep them in your file that the committe reviews...

Don't know why Kuba, but im rooting for you to get in! GL :luck:

kuba- keep the hope alive, the adcom was cancelled last friday due to snow and will reconvene this week

Cool!!

I can't believe class starts August 6th!! SO SOON!! For those of you who are working, when do you guys plan on quitting?

I haven't figured out my exact date, but I'm aiming for Late June/Early July so I can enjoy a little bit of the summer before I start.

July 1st!
I'm also excited about April 13...whats the dress code for that day??

July 1st!
I'm also excited about April 13...whats the dress code for that day??

I think it's pretty safe to go with business casual. You could probably get away with casual, but I'd error on the side of caution as it will be your chance to make a first impression on a lot of your future classmates. I don't think you need anything more formal, it sounds like a pretty laid back day...

I think it's pretty safe to go with business casual. You could probably get away with casual, but I'd error on the side of caution as it will be your chance to make a first impression on a lot of your future classmates. I don't think you need anything more formal, it sounds like a pretty laid back day...

I don't think i would mind if you wear something casual or formal. Whatever you feel comfortable in is fine by me. hahaha

HAHA...:thumbup: go for it! haha

Yah - at least we'll all recognize you that way!! LOL!

I never received any information about this event, can someone please provide details.
Thanks

Don't have 'em with me EMT, but basically plan on going to UMDNJ on April 13th for the day! 8:30 - 4:30 or something like that. Maybe they could fax it to you if you call the school?? Sorry.

Hey everyone. I'm writing from the 2007 ASCPT conference in the SoCal area (Pharmacology conference). An interesting fact I wanted to share with my future classmates: of the physicans here (comprising about 70% of the population), I met only ONE that is a DO (very bright guy :idea: ). This leads me to believe that not many DO's go onto specialize in Clinical Pharmacology... does anyone know if this is true??

See you all soon!

Do you think they will serve $1000 pizza and $1000 ice cream sundae at the event?

r

A pizza is removed from an oven in a file photo. A New York restaurateur has cooked up the most world's most extravagant pizza -- a $1,000 pizza topped with six sorts of caviar and fresh lobster. REUTERS/Eric Gaillard

goldenopulencenord.jpg

I know. It sounds crazy: $1,000 for an ice cream sundae? But, the sundae is The Grand Opulence Sundae from famed Serendipity of New York City and it's made up of the best of the best.

Do you think they will serve $1000 pizza and $1000 ice cream sundae at the event?

r

A pizza is removed from an oven in a file photo. A New York restaurateur has cooked up the most world's most extravagant pizza -- a $1,000 pizza topped with six sorts of caviar and fresh lobster. REUTERS/Eric Gaillard

I know. It sounds crazy: $1,000 for an ice cream sundae? But, the sundae is The Grand Opulence Sundae from famed Serendipity of New York City and it's made up of the best of the best.

1.) the pizza just sounds bad. ugh.
2.) as for the sundae, by the time you spend that much, you're just spending the money to say you spent it.

r

goldenopulencenord.jpg

I've read about that somewhere!. Thats crazy. The gold on that sundae is edible 24 or 14 karat gold.

I think it would be worth a mention that there's a UMDNJ-SOM class of 2011 group on Facebook.

All accepted students, please come join us!

(Note: I can't take credit for creating the group)

nice work! i was hoping that someone would start this group!

so I won't be at the accepted students day because Im currently living out of the country - unfortunately that makes it a little difficult to come to nj for the day. Anyway, Ive been thinking about housing recently and I can't decide if I want to find a roommate through paula OR live by myself for the 1st year and maybe find a roommate 2nd year. Any ideas? What are all of your plans?

Perhaps someone can also throw out an estimate of how many first years live with a roomie or alone...

When I signed up for the accepted students day, one of the questions on the paper was if I wanted to put my name on the list of students looking for housing...I know that you are out of the country so I dont know if you got the mailing, but maybe you could talk to Paula and ask her about that list? hopefully that might help :D

I haven't figured out exactly what I'll be doing roommate wise. I'm thinking of trying to buy a condo. From the looks of things, there are ones I could afford with and without a roommate, so I'll just have to wait and see how things work out...

Hey everyone. I'm writing from the 2007 ASCPT conference in the SoCal area (Pharmacology conference). An interesting fact I wanted to share with my future classmates: of the physicans here (comprising about 70% of the population), I met only ONE that is a DO (very bright guy :idea: ). This leads me to believe that not many DO's go onto specialize in Clinical Pharmacology... does anyone know if this is true??

See you all soon!

Okay ... to answer my own question, I asked my boss about this and he told me that the Clin. Pharm specilization has nothing to do with the MD/DO degree, but more with the Ph. D. He told me that you don't see many DO's at those conferences b/c they are usually interested in doing clinical work, and not pharmaceutical research.

Bottom line: if you want to work for a big pharma co., you'll need the DO, Ph. D....

Is it true that the curriculum at umdnj (D.O and M.D) is the same?
If that is true, then SOM should have a comparable pass rate with Newark and RWj which should translate into more opportunities for SOM students?

Can someone elaborate. Thanks

Okay ... to answer my own question, I asked my boss about this and he told me that the Clin. Pharm specilization has nothing to do with the MD/DO degree, but more with the Ph. D. He told me that you don't see many DO's at those conferences b/c they are usually interested in doing clinical work, and not pharmaceutical research.

Bottom line: if you want to work for a big pharma co., you'll need the DO, Ph. D....

its prob the nature of the subject. i got my masters in pharmacology and its basically a subject u need 2 go 2 grad school 2 master more than the just basic pharm we get as med students. and since there r a lot of DO schools w/o affiliated PhD/grad school programs compared 2 MD schools, i'm not surprised that there r more MDs in clinical pharm. most MD schools r part of a larger university which includes a grad school, not all DO schools r like that. alot of DO schools r stand alone or have very few dual degree opps (but not SOM where we have so many dual degrees opps) i know someone who went 2 MD but went back 2 school 4 a PhD and does this sorta job now.

4 depakote about the condos: a couple of my friends got condos and quote around $160 K or higher.

and no, UMDNJ's MD and DO curricula r not the same. 4 instance, like all MD schools and unlike most DO schools that i know of, the MD curriculum includes a stats/epidem course - sth on the USMLE and sth that DO students who take it will have 2 study on their own. i know that at least at NJMS, they also take embryo which is another course taught at most MD schools and not DO schools. so there r def little things that DO students who wanna take USMLE will have 2 study on the side and not learn from a class. but no biggie, just sth 2 know so u study it and these subjects r usu lower yield on boards anyway. somehow, i don't think the pass rates will b the same either 4 USMLE but i've heard that we do very well on COMLEX though not so great on the OMM part of it - this is sth that really deps on the student and not so much the school curriculum. ppl who tend 2 standardize test well will prob continue 2 do so whether they went MD or DO. i'd guess that the DO pass rate 4 USMLE might b lower than the MD pass rate when u consider just students from UMDNJ schools and i don't mean this as a diss on the profession i will eventually enter. 4 COMLEX compared 2 USMLE, i couldn't guess. call the schools and ask. it just means that no one (MD or DO) should nec depend or count on their school 2 teach them everything 4 boards and that everyone has 2 work real hard 2 get as high a score as they can. DO students tend 2 have a lower MCAT avg than their MD counterparts b/c DO schools will let in someone with MCAT < 28 when i dunno of any MD schools that do unless u have some special quality or connection. it just means that if u know u haven't standardized tested well in the past, w/ this knowledge of urself, study in a different way 2 b more successful on boards than u were on other std tests in the past. :)

alot of DO schools r stand alone or have very few dual degree opps (but not SOM where we have so many dual degrees opps) i know someone who went 2 MD but went back 2 school 4 a PhD and does this sorta job now.

Good point. Interestingly enough, most of the guys and gals I spoke to did their Ph. D's AFTER they finished their medical training, instead of at the same time...

Good point. Interestingly enough, most of the guys and gals I spoke to did their Ph. D's AFTER they finished their medical training, instead of at the same time...

well actually my friend's bro is going 2 also prob going in2 clinical pharm based on advice from his very much older bro...and this kid is doing his MD PhD (he's MSTP) at columbia right now. weird cuz i used 2 babysit the kid bro and he started med school before me and is in the PhD portion now...and he just got married (and i'm an old maid as my mom calls me in our native language) and his wife goes 2 harvard med. i just think that those interested in going in2 clinical pharm prob the majority have PhDs and since not there r less DO schools w/ affiliated PhD programs, u'll c less DOs in clin pharm (unless they go back and do a PhD if their school, unlike SOM, did not have a grad school). anyways, gotta study neuro. maybe c u's all in 2 weeks.

When I signed up for the accepted students day, one of the questions on the paper was if I wanted to put my name on the list of students looking for housing...I know that you are out of the country so I dont know if you got the mailing, but maybe you could talk to Paula and ask her about that list? hopefully that might help :D

yea i did receive the paper about housing buuut I guess I am worried that everyone will find their roomies at the housing day and I'll be the only one left on the list :oops:

I think that I want to live by myself but in a complex around other students so that i wont get too lonely (like echelon or the village?). maybe ill find a roomie for second yr...
now if i could just figure out a way to make this plan affordable.......

Looks like my housing situation is taken care of. My offer for a Townhouse in Cherry Hill has been accepted!!!

I am going to be borrowing from Peter to pay Paul :scared: :scared: :scared:

yea i did receive the paper about housing buuut I guess I am worried that everyone will find their roomies at the housing day and I'll be the only one left on the list :oops:

I think that I want to live by myself but in a complex around other students so that i wont get too lonely (like echelon or the village?). maybe ill find a roomie for second yr...
now if i could just figure out a way to make this plan affordable.......

Gotta be careful with which complex you choose to live at. While some have the nice perks of a better area or nicer apartments, there are additional costs you must worry about. If you are a person who likes to have the heat on at high blast, the heat is electric and some of the students end up with electric bills of over $200 or more. :mad: Pick very carefully, but one place I can say to stay away from definitely is Stonington Court apartments. :thumbdown: