***official Ucla Som Class Of 2012~!***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
i got a separate email:

Office of Academic Enrichment and Outreach

David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA

April, 2008

STUDENT RECRUITMENT AND GATHERING, CLASS OF 2012

NOTICE:

Dear Member of the Class of 2012.

The Health Sciences Student Store has agreed to allow you to be sized for your white coats early. They will set up stations during the April 19, 2008 event in the registration area from 7:30AM to 8:30AM for "early birds". This is a great way for you to get this done so that your white coats are ready for you for the White Coat Ceremony during the Introduction to Human Biology course (Orientation). See the revised agenda which is enclosed.

If you have any questions, please call Cam Miller at (310) 825-3575.

Thank you.

Patricia Pratt

Director

So i thought at first that it was an optional thing, but that email a couple days ago said "if you are an early bird plan on arriving at 7:30". so i think that means that i have to come at 7:30 to get my coat fitted??? or did you guys all get this "early bird" email? maybe i will just call and ask.

I didn't get that. Just got the following:

------------
April 14. 2008

Dear Recruitment Day Participant,

We are delighted that you will join us on Saturday, April 19, 2008 for the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA's Student Gathering for the Entering Class of 2012.

Please plan to arrive at the meeting by 8:00AM to check in, pick up your materials and have something to eat before the first presentation at 8:30AM. If you are an "early bird" you should plan to arrive at 7:30AM to be fitted for your white coat so that it is ready for you before your "White Coat Ceremony" during orientation week in August.

Please allow 15 to 20 minutes to obtain your parking permit, park and walk to the Neuroscience Research Building Lobby (NRB) in the Center for the Health Sciences on the UCLA campus. From Wilshire Boulevard, proceed North on Westwood Boulevard and enter campus, continue straight to the Parking/Information Kiosk and let them know that you are attending the School of Medicine's Student Recruitment Day. Your parking permit will be free of charge and you will be directed to park in Lot #9. The NRB is the newer building which is adjacent to and just southeast of the parking structure. Try to park on the 3rd level if possible and come out of the south entrance. You will see directional signs.

The weather in Los Angeles will vary from the upper 60's at mid-day to the lower 50's in the evening. Since we are not that far from the ocean, it will also be breezy. Please bring a warm sweater or jacket. Our weather forecast for the weekend is:

Thursday Sunny High 82 feels like 83 Low 56 feels like 53
Friday: Mostly Sunny High 74 feels like 78 Low 55 feels like 50
Saturday Partly Cloudy High 67 feels like 68 Low 55 feels like 49
Sunday Mostly Sunny High 67 feels like 69 Low 52 feels like 45

If you have questions on that day or someone needs to contact you for emergencies, please leave a voicemail message at my office, (310) XXX-XXXX, and one of our staff members will assist you or get a message to you on that day.

I look forward to meeting you Saturday.

Sincerely,

Patricia Pratt
Director
Academic Enrichment and Outreach

-------------

So I guess you have to get the email that you got to be an early bird? I haven't even started school yet and I am so confu-zed. :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

i didnt get ANY email

=(

texas..do you think u could pm me patricia's number (that is xxx'd out below)

i want a white coat too ..blEh...hehe

thanks man!

I didnt get the early bird email either...looks like you are chosen to get up bright and early!

Members don't see this ad :)
ok i just called the number for cam miller (found it above)--they were really nice cuz i probably sounded so sad--but anyways i guess im all set but that im not an 'early bird' hehe see you guys saturday!

ok i just called the number for cam miller (found it above)--they were really nice cuz i probably sounded so sad--but anyways i guess im all set but that im not an 'early bird' hehe see you guys saturday!

wait...so they specifically told you that you are not an early bird? im still confused. whatever...i get there when i get there.

me: hi i wanna check that im all rsvp'd and set for recruitment weekend
X: (checked my name) Yup!
me: ok...so should i be expecting an e-mail or anything...like re: white coat fittings?
X: mmm if you're referring to the early bird fitting thats just an option that people can have/choose
me: so i should be able to get fitted some other time during the day if i didnt get that e-mail?
X: yea
me: so i just show up on sat?

i think thats pretty much how the convo went. they were very nice. ANYWAYSS see you guys soon =)

me: hi i wanna check that im all rsvp'd and set for recruitment weekend
X: (checked my name) Yup!
me: ok...so should i be expecting an e-mail or anything...like re: white coat fittings?
X: mmm if you're referring to the early bird fitting thats just an option that people can have/choose
me: so i should be able to get fitted some other time during the day if i didnt get that e-mail?
me: so i just show up on sat?

i think thats pretty much how the convo went. they were very nice. ANYWAYSS see you guys soon =)

haha ok good. i think i sparked a lot of confusion for no good reason. sorry.

Does anyone know anything about the criteria for the University Loan? I got one, but it's for a relatively small amount... So just curious how the whole things works.

Does anyone know anything about the criteria for the University Loan? I got one, but it's for a relatively small amount... So just curious how the whole things works.

My understanding is that it is generally need-based and based on available university funds.

I got a small one as well. But hey, at least it's subsidized. :thumbup:

did anyone set up an appointment for financial aid?

umm, were we supposed to do that?

i'm starting to feel like the most uninformed, unprepared slacker medical school matriculant ever...

umm, were we supposed to do that?

i'm starting to feel like the most uninformed, unprepared slacker medical school matriculant ever...

i thought we just wandered over there when we felt like it...oops :oops:

Members don't see this ad :)
i was confused about this too...i emailed gloria yesterday about scheduling an apptment and also asking whether i could just bring my paper forms with me on saturday...
she responded:

Since you have already submitted your FAFSA and Need Access on line, I will do a financial aid estimate for you and email it to you by Friday. You can turn in your financial aid documents to complete your file on Saturday, in the afternoon when the students come over to visit the information tables and the offices. Hope this helps. See you Saturday.

sooo...i guess its not really necessary--at least for me to have an apptment..OR the 'apptments' are just kinda drop in, as ladydoc suggested

hope this info helps---as i dint get any email from ucla re: revisit..im totally mooching off the info you guys posted on where to find parking and stuff in the morning :D

yeah i dont know. i remember something about setting up an appointment when we rsvped, but i never called or anything. i think itll be fine.

i seriously wonder about their email systems since there seem to have been so many emails that some people got and not others.

is anyone going on the 3 hours bus tour? i signed up but am wondering if i should get off the list!

Last edited:
I applied for Weybern housing about a month ago. When are we supposed to hear back about our assignment?

It looks like there hasn't been any post-recruitment day activity on this thread, so I'll attempt to get some going. Did you guys like the second look? What impressions did you get?

For me, it reconfirmed that UCLA is the right choice and reminded me of how luck I am to be able to goto school in sunny westwood instead of some far off place with horrible winters and H/P/F grades. I really liked the sample pbl session. I think it'll be a cool way to learn stuff through teaching ourselves and each other.

It looks like there hasn't been any post-recruitment day activity on this thread, so I'll attempt to get some going. Did you guys like the second look? What impressions did you get?

For me, it reconfirmed that UCLA is the right choice and reminded me of how luck I am to be able to goto school in sunny westwood instead of some far off place with horrible winters and H/P/F grades. I really liked the sample pbl session. I think it'll be a cool way to learn stuff through teaching ourselves and each other.

I really enjoyed 2nd look as well. I was pretty much set on UCLA, but that event helped to put a human spin to the med. school....having had a chance to experience dr. parker's sense of humor, etc.

I liked the PBL session as well, though I wonder how naiive I am about it. If you take a look at some of the allopathic threads, not too many people seem to like PBL (in general, not necessarily at UCLA). It seems they feel it's a waste of study time, etc, but from this one experience, I think it'd be a good way to learn.

There were a lot of kids trying to decide b/w UCLA and UCSF it seemed...tough choice

I really enjoyed 2nd look as well. I was pretty much set on UCLA, but that event helped to put a human spin to the med. school....having had a chance to experience dr. parker's sense of humor, etc.

I liked the PBL session as well, though I wonder how naiive I am about it. If you take a look at some of the allopathic threads, not too many people seem to like PBL (in general, not necessarily at UCLA). It seems they feel it's a waste of study time, etc, but from this one experience, I think it'd be a good way to learn.

There were a lot of kids trying to decide b/w UCLA and UCSF it seemed...tough choice

I'm 100% sold. As soon as I got back this week, I withdrew from all my other acceptances that I was holding. The school is, of course, pretty sweet. But the people (faculty, administration, MS1's and MS2's and ESPECIALLY the kick *** class of 2012) are what really did it for me.

Honestly, this is the first second look I've attended where medicine really wasn't even talked about that much amongst future class mates. During the tour, I spent most of the time talking to one of the MSTPs about baseball and another student about getting together a bunch of students next spring break to go to Austin for the South by Southwest music festival (and she had never been to Austin and it was HER idea).

So I'm officially sold. It's going to be an amazing 4 years guys!

During the tour, I spent most of the time talking to one of the MSTPs about baseball and another student about getting together a bunch of students next spring break to go to Austin for the South by Southwest music festival (and she had never been to Austin and it was HER idea).

So I'm officially sold. It's going to be an amazing 4 years guys!

SXSW is so on for next year!

I can't wait to quit my job and head to medical school already :) :) :)... Does anyone know any good places to buy cheap furniture in LA, besides Ikea/Target?

I can't wait to quit my job and head to medical school already :) :) :)

I so feel you on that one.

Does anyone know any good places to buy cheap furniture in LA, besides Ikea/Target?

Thrift stores and Craig's list! Not only will you get something totally original but it won't fall apart after a month (hopefully).

I can't wait to quit my job and head to medical school already :) :) :)... Does anyone know any good places to buy cheap furniture in LA, besides Ikea/Target?

There's a Living Spaces in Van Nuy's which I think has pretty good deals.

http://www.livingspaces.com/

I'm probably gonna buy some of my stuff from there.

hi everyone,

i received my housing offer/contract yesterday via email (for Weyburn)
On the contract, the move-in/move-out dates are as follows:
Contract Start Date: 07/15/2008
Contract End Date: 05/31/2009

However, UCLA's 2008-09 calendar states that we begin 8/4/08 and finish 6/3/09....how does this work out?

hi everyone,

i received my housing offer/contract yesterday via email.
On the contract, the move-in/move-out dates are as follows:
Contract Start Date: 07/15/2008
Contract End Date: 05/31/2009

Do these dates line up with our school schedule for 08-09?

Got mine today as well.
Start: 8/1
Ends: 5/31

Bad news: I have to be in LA for 7/20 for pre-matriculation programs, but Housing refuses to change my contract move-in date. Guess it's two weeks of hotels or living on my cousin's couch for me!

Good news: Got the 2-bedroom townhouse... HOLLA!

So I guess this means that the period of being able to choose your roomie has officially ended?

doode!! me too!! got my first choice =) if i dint have a tiny studio id totally let u crash texas (my move-in is 7/15)

anyways now ill be online furniture shopping/ room arrangement planning...

while in the meantime totally failing at my job...haha!

bugger! so since my contract begins on 7/15...I have to pay rent for those 2 weeks --> ~$560..and housing won't change a contract once an offer has been made

it seems i have just the opposite problem than texasMD2B...

I got a studio! :) I'm looking at the studio floor plan but it doesn't give the dimensions of the "bedroom." Does anyone know if a double bed will fit in there? I know we can't have beds that are queen sized or larger, but they never said that we couldn't have a double...

a full/double bed will definitely fit. i have a friend who has a futon! its a great room saver, especially for the studios at weyburn.

bugger! so since my contract begins on 7/15...I have to pay rent for those 2 weeks --> ~$560..and housing won't change a contract once an offer has been made

it seems i have just the opposite problem than texasMD2B...

HA! we should just swap apartments... lol

so the studios vary in size...but this link shows a floor plan of an 'avg studio' (385 sq ft) (as well as the floor plans for the 2br and townhouses (for anyone else who is looking for that info)

http://map.ais.ucla.edu/portal/site...toid=5c13064a9a7d1010VgnVCM1000008f8443a4RCRD

im thinkin i might try to cram my queen...ive heard it blocks the closet door..but i love my bed! :p

I got a studio! :) I'm looking at the studio floor plan but it doesn't give the dimensions of the "bedroom." Does anyone know if a double bed will fit in there? I know we can't have beds that are queen sized or larger, but they never said that we couldn't have a double...

After looking at the youtube video of a Weyburn studio, I think I'll have to settle for a twin. I'm not sure if anything else will fit in there. :(

Okay, I've tried sleeping in a twin and I rolled over and hit the floor. :( I think I'm going to have to get a double. Does anyone have the exact measurements of the space where our bed is supposed to be? A full is 54" x 75" - will this block the closet door in the studio?

Okay, I've tried sleeping in a twin and I rolled over and hit the floor. :( I think I'm going to have to get a double. Does anyone have the exact measurements of the space where our bed is supposed to be? A full is 54" x 75" - will this block the closet door in the studio?

i don't know what the exact measurements are, but i got the 2-2 townhouse and i do NOT CARE what gets blocked. i'm bringing my full sized bed, pillow top mattress, and down comforter. if i can't get a solid 6 hours every night on a decent bed, i might as well not even go to medical school. lol

hAHA! so this is HUGE concern for me too...and ive actually calculated the measurements against the measurements of beds...(left it at home...will share when i get my hands on my notes ;) )

basically if you wanna fit a queen in the 'bedroom' part of the studio...it will obstruct the closet (i think)--however i think a full-sized bed will fit totally fine.

someone told me though that the studios vary...and the measurements they give on the site are the 'avg'- so who knows you might even get more space(!?) hope that helps!

Thanks mimivirus! If a queen obstructs the closet door but a full doesn't, it means we'll only have a 6" clearance between the mattress and closet door (likely smaller since the bedframe will take even more space). I think I can live with this. :)