***official Ucla Som Class Of 2012~!***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

raininspain

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Congrats on your acceptances~!

I'm completely stoked at the possibility of being a Bruin for another 4 years. Since I'm 90% sure I will be attending UCLA, and just received my graduate housing application and health clearance information, I wanted to be the first to start up this thread and throw out a question to my fellow classmates:

For housing, are ya'll gonna apply for a:

1-person studio apartment,
2-person townhouse, or
2-person apartment?

Anyone know the difference between the 2-person townhouse and apartments?

CHEERS~!

Members don't see this ad.

Wrong forum there, sunshine.

Ahhhh, gotcha.

Someone, please move me to the correct forum.

Thank you~!:)

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know how binding the statement of intent to register is? Got my packet yesterday and while I'm 90% sure I'm going to UCLA there's a chance I might go to OHSU if they let me in because it's much, much closer to my family. Anyway I'm reluctant to sign the SIR because of this but if its not a huge deal to back out after signing it I might go ahead because they need it to process financial aid. Thanks for any advice!

Does anyone know how binding the statement of intent to register is? Got my packet yesterday and while I'm 90% sure I'm going to UCLA there's a chance I might go to OHSU if they let me in because it's much, much closer to my family. Anyway I'm reluctant to sign the SIR because of this but if its not a huge deal to back out after signing it I might go ahead because they need it to process financial aid. Thanks for any advice!
I'm pretty sure it's not binding. After you submit the SIR, there's even a message explaining what to do if you decide to withdraw later on. No worries. Turn that sucker in :)

A Drew/UCLAer here! Very excited about the prospect of Cali (I'm from NY)! Anyone know when second look is going to take place? I've gotten no info about it. Also what about financial aid?? I didn't get any info about that either.

FWIW, my friend (UCLA grad student) stayed at Weyburn in a two bedroom apartment (i think?) and it had two floors (one floor with two bedrooms and private baths in each and the other floor with the living room and kitchen). I thought it was pretty swanky for student housing. Although, it may have been the townhouse..

I'm almost certain on UCLA....just submitted my housing app as well, and will be working on the fin. aid requirements & health doc's this week.

I know it's early, but are most people planning on staying in Weyburn?
Is anyone considering just finding an appartment nearby (in westwood or adjacent)?

Are you guys doing any traveling before school?

And for one of the above posters....I believe (not 100%) that Second Look is in April (mid-april?)

Go Bruins!!

I'm pretty sure I'd be staying in Weyburn if I do attend UCLA. I heard the price is similar, if not cheaper, than getting your own room (+utilities) around Westwood. Also, it might be nice to be around classmates the first two years.

I'd love to travel before school, but I just got myself a new (used) car, which I'm working my *** off to pay off before school starts. Perhaps I'll use my credit card to travel, and then pay it off with the $5,000 David Geffen scholarship.=D

I'm almost certain on UCLA....just submitted my housing app as well, and will be working on the fin. aid requirements & health doc's this week.

I know it's early, but are most people planning on staying in Weyburn?
Is anyone considering just finding an appartment nearby (in westwood or adjacent)?

Are you guys doing any traveling before school?

And for one of the above posters....I believe (not 100%) that Second Look is in April (mid-april?)

Go Bruins!!

"Simply the best. To cure when possible, to relieve often, and to comfort always."

So I've signed all my online forms on URSA, will be applying for housing (2-bed town home), and am officially stoked about meeting you guys at second look on April 19th (as well as April 18th for any UCLA/Drew program participants).

To be honest, I'm scared quite sh*tless about leaving my home state of Texas. But all in all, I think it's too good of an opportunity to pass up out of simple fear of the unknown future or worries about cost (about 60K more than staying in Texas). I'm hoping that meeting some of my future classmates at second look will easy my worries.

If I have anything to do with it, the c/o 2012 is going to rock the casbah... officially!

hello future classmates! look forward to second look as well! there's one on the 18th for drew students? awesome!! sounds like it will be fun!! can't wait!

and as for traveling plans, going to the east coast for two weeks to see friends up and down the coast and see niagara falls and ride the barrel down the falls! ;) then off to a cruise to alaska.

where do you guys plan to go?

as far as housing goes, i'm considering Weyburn, but if anyone is interested in getting apartment in Westwood...let me know...i think it may work out cheaper. Haven't settled on anything just yet...keeping options open ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
as far as housing goes, i'm considering Weyburn, but if anyone is interested in getting apartment in Westwood...let me know...i think it may work out cheaper. Haven't settled on anything just yet...keeping options open ;)

Hey, have you found anything affordable (<1,000/mnth) for a single room? That would be nice to save some $$. Are you looking for guy or gal aptmates?

Are you guys just leaving the roommate option blank for the housing app? Or are you guys gonna wait until second look to find a roommate and complete the housing form then?

I'm really having a hard time focusing on school at this point of the semester when I know I'm going to be moving to LA in a few months. I don't think I will be able to live on campus because of the no large beds rule and no pets. I have a little boston terrier. Anyway, I will probably be looking for an apartment or townhouse. Are any of you looking for a room mate? Can't wait to meet you all. So excited!

Hey, have you found anything affordable (<1,000/mnth) for a single room? That would be nice to save some $$. Are you looking for guy or gal aptmates?

guy or gal...either way. I'd like to find a 2br/2ba place...I know westwood can run a little expensive though. The surrounding area isn't all that much cheaper (brentwood, Santa Monica), so the one other alternative is the West LA/Palms area.

With regards to Weyburn, it's nice to have an "all in one" package...utilities, wireless, etc. inclusive. But some of these places are a bit small right?

btw, anyone know when UCLA provides us with a financial aid package?

thx!

xxbruinxx, where do you get the financial aid forms to fill out?? I haven't gotten word from anyone about fin aid!

Also Weyburn is very nice! I stayed there for a couple of days with my friend and let me tell you its not small. Its not the biggest place I've seen but certainly is not small. 2 floors. 2 bedrooms. 2 baths (inside your rooms)! I don't know if they are all like that but if I end up at UCLA, I'm staying at Weyburn!

i think we'll get our fin aid package after we turn in everything, SIR, SLR and health forms. and the fafsa too. by the way, there is no deadline to apply for financial aid for new entering students. if you're on ursa already, you can check if they've received your fafsa by going under "View Financial Aid Tracking Document."

living at weyburn will be extremely convenient. close to the hospital, or you can take the shuttle that runs every 10/15 mins and will take you to campus quicker than walking. and you're in westwood, with so many restaurants and a few good bars too. you can get parking at weyburn too, but i think that costs $900 for the year. so if you really need a car thats one option. and being in la, i think a car is really important. everything is spread out in la and there's so many things to do! from surfing to hiking the hollywood hills and seeing the view of the city. i do both, so thats why la is the perfect place to be! :D

I'm signing up for the Weyburn, but hope to live with my cousin in Santa Monica (his rent's only 1300/mo for a nice 2-2... rent control is AWESOME). Push come to shove, maybe I'll meet someone to room with at second look weekend. Is everyone else going?

Ya -- I hope fin aid info comes soon. I've taken care of all the forms online and the fafsa. I've got a doctors appointment scheduled today to take care of all the health screening stuff. Freakin' 350 bucks. I have AMAZING insurance, but they said that they won't cover "unnessicary" blood work just for me to go to medical school.

I guess, since the next 4 years are going to run over 200K, might as well let the hemorrhaging of money begin now...

I don't think I will be able to live on campus because of the no large beds rule and no pets.

No large bed rules?!?!?! Does that mean we have to get twin beds?

bleh x100.

Man, it's gorgeous weather here in SoCal already. Anyone up to go surfing with a kook?=D

Here's a great Jason Mraz vid to get us hyped up for a SoCal summer. Enjoy~!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QedgzsjouXU

Hi all!
So, i'm entirely undecided and uncertain about where i'll end up, but definitely am really excited about Geffen. You guys seem so awesome, I would love to be part of a class with you all. I grew up not far from Westwood (which is both one of the biggest pluses and minuses of DGSOM for me!) and it's definitely a great area to be young.
Here's a question: does anyone have a good sense of how exactly lecture v. PBL v. lab time breaks down? On a weekly basis, how much of each would there be?

i clicked on "drew" and inputted my info and there were two letters, an acceptance letter from dr. levey and a schedule for second look. and then there was a link to rsvp. maybe its not up for ucla? try the drew link?

i can email you the second look schedule if you want. let me know.

Here's a question: does anyone have a good sense of how exactly lecture v. PBL v. lab time breaks down? On a weekly basis, how much of each would there be?

There was a post from a UCLA medical student in the pre-allo forum that outlined the schedule. It was under "UCSD vs UCLA." Anyway, I'm too lazy to look it up again :oops:, but I think its:

10am-12pm: M-F Lecture
8am-10am: M, F PBL
1pm-4pm: T, W, Th Doctoring?

The MS said you get M and F afternoon off...sweet:love:

Thanks rain! That looks so wonderful.
Label, how does the schedule for Second Look look? I'm also UCLA/Geffen so I can't see it yet.

Just got the email saying Second Look info was available on the status page, but when I log in, I don't see anything about second look. Do other Geffen people see information?
Thanks!

Anyone going to recruitment day from the Bay Area (or down the 5) and want to carpool? I have a car and would consider driving down if I had someone to share gas with. I'm a Drew student so we'd have to leave on the 17th, but I can be flexible about times.

Thanks rain! That looks so wonderful.
Label, how does the schedule for Second Look look? I'm also UCLA/Geffen so I can't see it yet.

Just got the email saying Second Look info was available on the status page, but when I log in, I don't see anything about second look. Do other Geffen people see information?
Thanks!

I called and they said the emails were accidentally sent out. The website will be updated by late next week.

Here's the Recruitment Day schedule.

Can't wait to meet my future classmates!

Oh - and looking at the itinerary:

(1) Looks like we have to participate in a PBL? I hope that's not the case, as my brain has officially been shut off since graduation in December.
(2) We'll be doing white coat sizing! Should be fun...
(3) There's a 1-hour campus tour and a 3.5-hour LA city tour. As a student from Texas, should I sign up for these?

Attachments

• 08RecruitmentDaySchedule.pdf
    36.2 KB · Views: 287
awesome! thanks texas!! i was about to post it up. sounds like a very eventful day and lots of fun =)

i actually signed up for both tours, even though i know la really well. i guess it will be a great opportunity to get to know more students while we're on the tour. should be fun!

just rsvp'd...looking forward to meeting you great guys & gals!

Wooo UCLA for 8 years!

Academics + athletics = amazing!

Go Bruins!

To all you people who have filled out the housing app to live in Weyburn, what date did you mark as the move in date? From the schedule, classes start August 4. But I don't know how much earlier than that I probably need to move in.

hey guys. i just found out i was accepted to geffen today and am really stoked. just wanted to say hello to my future classmates.

To all you people who have filled out the housing app to live in Weyburn, what date did you mark as the move in date? From the schedule, classes start August 4. But I don't know how much earlier than that I probably need to move in.

i could be wrong here, but i recall reading that move-in dates are only at the middle and end of each month (ie. 15th and 31st)...so i just put 7/31/08.

if you wanted to move-in some other day, then they said something about charging a fee for every day your off from their scheduled dates.

might want to double check that though haha ;)

congrats christianjames!!!! welcome to the ucla family.

congrats christianjames!!!! welcome to the ucla family.

thanks a lot i am super stoked on it. where are you guys finding all this housing info? when i go to my status page there is nothing there about it...just the same as it has always looked. does anyone have a link?

thanks a lot i am super stoked on it. where are you guys finding all this housing info? when i go to my status page there is nothing there about it...just the same as it has always looked. does anyone have a link?

Welcome CJ1. I hope you'll be making it out to the Recruitment Weekend. Apparently, all med students get guaranteed housing at Weyburn Terrace. http://map.ais.ucla.edu/portal/site...toid=5c13064a9a7d1010VgnVCM1000008f8443a4RCRD Kind of steep (by my standards) at $1000/mo, but that's coming from a guy from Texas. Maybe that's standard for LA? Either way -- I applied for a 2-2 Townhouse in Weyburn today, but hope to stay with my cousin in Santa Monica.

Welcome CJ1. I hope you'll be making it out to the Recruitment Weekend. Apparently, all med students get guaranteed housing at Weyburn Terrace. http://map.ais.ucla.edu/portal/site...toid=5c13064a9a7d1010VgnVCM1000008f8443a4RCRD Kind of steep (by my standards) at $1000/mo, but that's coming from a guy from Texas. Maybe that's standard for LA? Either way -- I applied for a 2-2 Townhouse in Weyburn today, but hope to stay with my cousin in Santa Monica.

thanks for this! i will of course be there on the 19th. i am trying to decide if i should sign up for the bus tour too. i am from socal, but don't know LA all that well. who here is planning on doing the bus tour?

Oh, and yeah 1000/month I think is actually on the low end for the UCLA area, especially when you consider cable, internet and utilities are included. it says on the weyburn site to bring a twin bed or day bed...but it also says queen beds and larger are not allowed. does that mean that doubles are allowed? anyone know?

I'm not so sure about the twin bed rule. My friend stayed in Weyburn for 1 year (ph.D) and had the 2 floor townhouse setup. She was able to fit a full sized bed into her room (plus a large (vanity type) dresser and a small entertainment center). The room was quite spacious. I imagine that if she did without the large vanity dresser she could have fit a desk in there.. but she didn't want one.

I'm would just wait until I got there and see, then go find an ikea/macys/sears and buy one.

Little confused. When you rsvp for recruitment day they want to know if you've called the financial aid office to finish your forms. I called financial aid and they never returned my call. Some of you say you can fill out the forms online, but all I found were 2007-2008 forms. Can anyone provide a link? That would be really awesome!

Good question about beds Christian James, I have a double and was wondering that myself. I'm a little worried about the no pets policy. I wonder if I could sneak my cat into a townhouse if my roommate was cool with it, I know, I'm bad.

Little confused. When you rsvp for recruitment day they want to know if you've called the financial aid office to finish your forms. I called financial aid and they never returned my call. Some of you say you can fill out the forms online, but all I found were 2007-2008 forms. Can anyone provide a link? That would be really awesome!

Good question about beds Christian James, I have a double and was wondering that myself. I'm a little worried about the no pets policy. I wonder if I could sneak my cat into a townhouse if my roommate was cool with it, I know, I'm bad.

i have the same question. anyone?

I read all of last year's thread, and it seems that you can get around the bed thing and bring a full size since they never check. As far as pets, it also seems that you can get around it (as long as your roommate is cool) because there was reference to a current MS1 who lives in Weyburn and has a little dog she walks every day. On fin aid, I called and have been playing phone tag with the lady for the past two days. Not sure what that message on the recruitment day rsvp means. I really need to get that ball rolling on building this awesome debt. So MSJLewis, have you decide between LA and Cornell/NYU yet? Unless I here good news from Baylor, I'm definitely on my way to Wst

so i just got off the phone with a woman from financial aid. she was really nice. anyways, she said that of course you need to fill out fafsa and need access, but not to worry about the institutional forms if you havent received them yet. apparently someone in the office gets a list of the accepted students every 1 to 2 weeks, then sends the forms out to those on the list. hope that helps.

So MSJLewis, have you decide between LA and Cornell/NYU yet? Unless I here good news from Baylor, I'm definitely on my way to Wst

Actually its between LA and Cornell/Columbia. And no I haven't decided. Still no word from Baylor either. Would you still pick Baylor over UCLA??

Thanks for the info CJ1. Do you know where the need form is? It is online or does it come in the mail? MSJLewis, the longer BCM makes me wait (and the more I make arrangements to move to LA), the less likely it becomes that I would choose BCM over UCLA. Born and raised in Houston, it would be nice to stay home (and cheap - 8k/yr in tuition). I think that once I reach the point of no return (recruitment day and once I secure housing), there's no turning back for me. Question to Californians: I'm thinking I may need to sell my car (2003 Jeep) because I don't think it would pass California emissions inspection. Any thoughts on that?

Thanks for the info CJ1. Do you know where the need form is? It is online or does it come in the mail? MSJLewis, the longer BCM makes me wait (and the more I make arrangements to move to LA), the less likely it becomes that I would choose BCM over UCLA. Born and raised in Houston, it would be nice to stay home (and cheap - 8k/yr in tuition). I think that once I reach the point of no return (recruitment day and once I secure housing), there's no turning back for me. Question to Californians: I'm thinking I may need to sell my car (2003 Jeep) because I don't think it would pass California emissions inspection. Any thoughts on that?

whoa. I drive a 2001 SUV - i hadn't thought of that...

No problem, the need access application can be found at needaccess.org. It is sort of like the FAFSA all over again, except 2x as detailed.

As for the emissions requirements, I am not sure that your Jeep would not pass. I know that California has stricter requirements, but I am not sure how much stricter. Here is a link to a DMV page discussing emissions standards:

http://www.epa.gov/otaq/stds-ld.htm

I think you might be able to find a smog rating that your truck has to be below, then take the truck to get smogged and see if it would pass. I think it only costs like 40$ or something to smog, so that would definitely beat having to sell your car.

I just took a look at the california requirements, and it seems as if you just make it in before the level 2 requirements. Apparently vehicles made in 2003 don't have to meet the level 2 requirements, so I would say you have a good shot at this.