**Official Thread** Cal State Fullerton (CSUF) Post-Bacc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
That’s awesome! I’m a part-timer too :)

Did you happen to apply for financial aid and if so did you (or anyone else who reads this post) receive any?
Hey that's cool! Our schedule is probably the same lol. Yeah I had to take out federal loans to cover the costs. I received enough to cover most of the tuition; I only had to pay $125 out of pocket to cover the difference.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey that's cool! Our schedule is probably the same lol. Yeah I had to take out federal loans to cover the costs. I received enough to cover most of the tuition; I only had to pay $125 out of pocket to cover the difference.
That’s awesome! Congrats! Did you get enough to cover both fall and spring semesters? I’m still waiting on my award

That’s awesome! Congrats! Did you get enough to cover both fall and spring semesters? I’m still waiting on my award
Thanks man! Just hoping Biden comes thru and forgives all these loans lol. Yeah i got enough to cover both semesters 👍. If you submitted your FAFSA you should be good.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks man! Just hoping Biden comes thru and forgives all these loans lol. Yeah i got enough to cover both semesters 👍. If you submitted your FAFSA you should be good.
Thx man! We r watching u Biden lol. Do you live near Fullerton? I was looking at the schedule again. Are we only on-site for the labs at the moment? Who knows what will happen with the delta variant.

Thx man! We r watching u Biden lol. Do you live near Fullerton? I was looking at the schedule again. Are we only on-site for the labs at the moment? Who knows what will happen with the delta variant.
Yeah, I live about 15 mins away, so its not bad haha. And you? Yeah you're right, only labs are in-person atm. We will have to wait and see what happens. Hopefully not another shutdown, pls no!!

I'll be commuting from Corona, so ~40 minutes :)

Have you guys been able to access any class material?

Seems like a lot of people have already reached out, but I finished the program pretty recently (Cohort 12). Feel free to message me with any questions you have!

Reactions: 1 user
For my introduction:

UC Berkeley, GPA 3.1
B.S. Engineering Physics (2013)

Currently working as a Staff Research Associate at UCSF, Ophthalmology Department.

Why I want to pursue medicine:

I wanted to do a lot of other things before I decided on pursuing medicine, like grad school (took the GRE for this), engineering (EIT certified), or just going into consulting (or something that seems to let 23 year olds make 6 figures...). But after a lot of reflection and gauging my interests and passions, a lot of my experience somehow really motivated me to go on this medical path. I studied electrical engineering and physics, and my focus on microfabrication and nanotechnology led me along these research experience involving bioengineering and other medical related projects. I was researching on developing a medical platform for single cell/DNA/virus detection that focused on detecting circulating tumor cells in bedside colon cancer patients. In addition, I was also developing an alternative method for sanitizing medical equipment in third world clinics. My current work at UCSF involves developing a new, non-invasive method to measure intraocular pressure to help diagnose glaucoma patients. All of these involved my knowledge and experience in engineering but applied in the field of health and medicine. I didn't mean for it to turn out this way but I'm very happy that it did, because it led me find my passion for patient care and my potential impact in medicine. I still very much want to be in the forefront of technology so my current end goal is to become a surgeon since I view it as a profession with a path that crosses with technological development at its core.

That's a little spiel about me. I want to be as transparent as possible with you all and I hope you can reciprocate the same. I have a long way to go and there are too many things I still don't know, but if there is any possibility that I can provide help or insight, please don't hesitate to ask.

I'm starting the post bacc program this Fall, 2014. Due to my undergrad curriculum, I have already finished math, english, general chem, and physics, so I will be taking mainly organical chemistry and biology, plus biochem and other useful upper div courses. I chose Fullerton (I actually applied to only Fullerton...talk about putting all the eggs in one basket) due to its low cost, tons of clinical/research opportunities, linkages, and the fact I can live at home, as to save money.

So who else is starting this fall?? I'd like to make acquaintance with you all.

Update: No longer working as Staff Researcher at UCSF. HOWEVER! Currently researching in a drug discovery lab on campus and shadowing a neurosurgeon and a orthopedics surgeon. That's...about it beside school work.

I also have hobbies :|
Hi there! Curious how the program worked out for you. I’m currently in my first semester and would love to hear more.

UC Irvine, GPA 3.127
B.A. Quantitative Economics (2012)

Currently working in the gaming industry as a program manager.

I have graduated from UCI as a Quantitative Economics major and worked in the gaming industry for the last 9 years. I have thought of changing my career and pursuing my passion for Dentistry for years and want to make the first step before it gets too late.

I have researched mainly for the career change Post-Bacc programs and found out that CSUF has a great program for the people like me. I hope to connect with people who are in a similar situation like me and people who already went through this.

Any advice, wisdom and/or help on how to get into the Post-Bacc program, accepted by Dental School and pursuing a career as a Dentist would be highly appreciated!

hi! i was wondering if anyone is or has applied to the postbacc program for the 2022 cycle? I recently got accepted to the CSUF postbacc and NYU postbacc. i am trying to weigh my options but was curious if anyone else is considering fullerton!

hi! i was wondering if anyone is or has applied to the postbacc program for the 2022 cycle? I recently got accepted to the CSUF postbacc and NYU postbacc. i am trying to weigh my options but was curious if anyone else is considering fullerton!
hi! do you mind sharing how long the process was for you, such as when you submitted application to when you heard back for interview and then when you got accepted. I recently submitted my application and am anxious to hear back. Thank you!

Hello! I applied for the CSUF pre-health post-bacc program for the 2022 cycle and received an email stating to call Brandy to schedule an appointment for an interview. How was the interview process for you? Was the interview through phone call or Zoom/in-person? I'm so nervouss..

Hello! I applied for the CSUF pre-health post-bacc program for the 2022 cycle and received an email stating to call Brandy to schedule an appointment for an interview. How was the interview process for you? Was the interview through phone call or Zoom/in-person? I'm so nervouss..
good luck on the interview!! sending good vibes!!

Members don't see this ad :)
hi! do you mind sharing how long the process was for you, such as when you submitted application to when you heard back for interview and then when you got accepted. I recently submitted my application and am anxious to hear back. Thank you!
hi! sorry i didn’t see this sooner!! it all happened really fast for me! i submitted my application the last week of february and heard back within the next week for an interview. the interview was very chill! i recommend looking up post bacc interview questions or medical school interview questions because they are very similar to what was asked. after my interview they told me it would take a week to hear back but brandy ended up emailing me the next morning that they were going to offer me a spot and gave me two week to accept or decline my offer! hope this helps!!

Reactions: 1 users
i also received a call from brandy to schedule the interview but it does not take place over the phone! it is a zoom interview with another board member from the csuf postbacc program. the interview was very chill and exactly what you would expect. i recommend looking up postbacc interview questions or medical school interview questions and having a story you are going to stick to as to why you want to go into a health profession and why now. they told me i would hear back in a week but ended up getting an email from brandy the next day that they were offering me a spot and that i had two week to accept or decline. hope this helps! good luck!!

Hi Everyone,

I'm from the 2020 CSUF Pre-Health Post bacc cohort and I graduate at the end of the semester. I wanted to comment on this thread so you all have a better understanding of what the program is like.

PROS:
- lower cost than other post bacc programs (MCAT prep is included in fees)
- you meet other students in a similar position as you and they're in your classes (this is the saving grace of the program)
- you're "guaranteed" classes

CONS:
- you don't get MCAT prep materials in time.
The cohort before us got the materials after some had already taken the MCAT and we still have not received ours, despite it's a lot of our last semesters and we've begun studying.​
- the "guaranteed" classes are with horrible staff.
For a reason beyond explanation, they bring back 20+ year retired professors to teach post baccs o chem and biochem and these professors are terrible. They don't care about their students, they create hostile environments, and have been reported. I'm shocked that they are invited back. Our O chem course this past summer started with 18 students and ended with SEVEN. The retention rate is nonexistent because you're just trying to survive, and the professor let us stay as long as we wanted to take the exams, which meant we would stay for 6+ hours taking a test. A student fainted at one point because they had been sitting so long without breaks. This is unacceptable for a 2-hour scheduled course exam schedule. This would occur every week as we had one exam/week. Brandy won't help you if you are experiencing any sort of trauma from these professors and you're stuck in the class even if there are seats in another course with a better professor available. An entire class of post baccs has reported a professor and nothing is being done.​
- There is no university pre-health advising staff as of this year.
It's rumored they all left at the same time for better opportunities. It's also rumored that, due to their absence, we may not be getting our committee letters because Brandy does not stay on top of things for us. For the first year of our program, she was MIA. We didn't have any workshops or meetings and it would take her days if not weeks to answer an email. Recently, they made a generic "prehealth" email and I think it's to hold her more accountable. She answers more quickly now, but still has yet to schedule any MCAT-prep things as promised when we interviewed.​
My advice is to advocate for yourself and band together as a cohort if you are joining/in the program. You are on your own and will have to deal with terrible professors (or hopefully what my cohort has advocated and protested for will be implemented by the time you join).

Best of luck and feel free to message me.
****EDIT: Committee letters are in the works. This program was fine. We didn't get ANY structured MCAT prep (whether it be meeting med school reps or mock interviews, etc) beyond pre-req courses or meet with our cohort monthly. I'm so thankful for my cohort bc they were the only glimmering light.​
I recommend if you're fine to be on your own, just want a post-bacc certificate and don't want to pay UC prices.​
HOWEVER, if you can get into a Post-bacc with a linkage, DO IT. MCAT prep sucks lol and we got materials late...​
If you do join the CSUF 2023 Cohort, DM me for good profs to keep an eye out for! Unsure what they're going to do for summer O chem...we had to take Dr. Rogers and he was reported for sexual harassment....​

Last edited:
Hi Everyone,

I'm from the 2020 CSUF Pre-Health Post bacc cohort and I graduate at the end of the semester. I wanted to comment on this thread so you all have a better understanding of what the program is like.

PROS:
- you meet other students in a similar position as you and they're in your classes (this is the saving grace of the program)

CONS:
The cohort before us got the materials after some had already taken the MCAT and we still have not received ours, despite it's a lot of our last semesters and we've begun studying.​
For a reason beyond explanation, they bring back 20+ year retired professors to teach post baccs o chem and biochem and these professors are terrible. They don't care about their students, they create hostile environments, and have been reported. I'm shocked that they are invited back. Our O chem course this past summer started with 18 students and ended with SEVEN. The retention rate is nonexistent because you're just trying to survive, and the professor let us stay as long as we wanted to take the exams, which meant we would stay for 6+ hours taking a test. A student fainted at one point because they had been sitting so long without breaks. This is unacceptable for a 2-hour scheduled course exam schedule. This would occur every week as we had one exam/week. Brandy won't help you if you are experiencing any sort of trauma from these professors and you're stuck in the class even if there are seats in another course with a better professor available. An entire class of post baccs has reported a professor and nothing is being done.​
It's rumored they all left at the same time for better opportunities. It's also rumored that, due to their absence, we may not be getting our committee letters because Brandy does not stay on top of things for us. For the first year of our program, she was MIA. We didn't have any workshops or meetings and it would take her days if not weeks to answer an email. Recently, they made a generic "prehealth" email and I think it's to hold her more accountable. She answers more quickly now, but still has yet to schedule any MCAT-prep things as promised when we interviewed.​
My advice is to advocate for yourself and band together as a cohort if you are joining/in the program. You are on your own and will have to deal with terrible professors (or hopefully what my cohort has advocated and protested for will be implemented by the time you join).

This concerns me a lot. This was the program I wanted the most and after reading this, now I'm not sure.

Did anyone from your cohort do a linkage? Was there help with that? Did you end up getting your committee letters?

This concerns me a lot. This was the program I wanted the most and after reading this, now I'm not sure.

Did anyone from your cohort do a linkage? Was there help with that? Did you end up getting your committee letters?
I also applied for this year’s cohort and am also concerned with what I’ve read, as well. Please let me know if you received any updates regarding gaining committee letters and help with linkages. I will be reaching out to others who may of been in last year’s cohort in hopes of learning their experience thus far.

Reactions: 2 users
I also applied for this year’s cohort and am also concerned with what I’ve read, as well. Please let me know if you received any updates regarding gaining committee letters and help with linkages. I will be reaching out to others who may of been in last year’s cohort in hopes of learning their experience thus far.
Have you heard back about your application yet? If so l, can you tell me how long it took for you to hear something?

Have you heard back about your application yet? If so l, can you tell me how long it took for you to hear something?
I only received an email at the beginning of February stating that they had received my transcripts and letters of recommendation and that my application would be reviewed with the committee's decision. Otherwise, it has been radio silence so far. I might withdraw my application at this point as it seems odd that an interview has not even been sent out yet. I have already heard back from UCI regarding an interview, so it is disappointing that CSUF has been silent. What about you? Have you heard anything on your end?

I only received an email at the beginning of February stating that they had received my transcripts and letters of recommendation and that my application would be reviewed with the committee's decision. Otherwise, it has been radio silence so far. I might withdraw my application at this point as it seems odd that an interview has not even been sent out yet. I have already heard back from UCI regarding an interview, so it is disappointing that CSUF has been silent. What about you? Have you heard anything on your end?
I haven’t heard anything. I made sure that Brandy had my unofficial transcripts, made sure she was aware my official transcripts had anrrived or were en route and provided verification of prerequisites. I activated the student portal and that’s all… haven’t heard anything else.

For Loyola I was contacted for an interview within 24 hours of applying and accepted within three days of my interview and was going to wait until I heard back from CSUF and CSUSM before making a final decision but LMU needs a decision /deposit by next Friday. I’m a little turned off by the lack of communication. It does not give me confidence in the program.

I haven’t heard anything. I made sure that Brandy had my unofficial transcripts, made sure she was aware my official transcripts had anrrived or were en route and provided verification of prerequisites. I activated the student portal and that’s all… haven’t heard anything else.

For Loyola I was contacted for an interview within 24 hours of applying and accepted within three days of my interview and was going to wait until I heard back from CSUF and CSUSM before making a final decision but LMU needs a decision /deposit by next Friday. I’m a little turned off by the lack of communication. It does not give me confidence in the program.
Ah.. I’m sorry to hear that. :( I totally agree with you in regards to a lack of communication. Definitely not a good start..

Hey, they're organizing our committee letter in time for AMCAS submissions.

(I wrote the above post, I just finished the CSUF post bacc). I was also accepted to loyola, UCI, and CSUF. I recommend CSUF in terms of funds unless you want to utilize loyola's DO linkage. I HIGHLY recommend choosing a post-bacc w/ a linkage. I cannot recommend more bc the MCAT is timely, costly, and trivial IMO. I know people who did the UCR post bacc and get to go straight into UCR's med school w/ no MCAT.

Have you heard anything back after your interview? They totally ghosted me after my interview, LOL.
I just wrapped up the CSUF post-bacc–I got accepted like a month before class started and I had to email Brandy a few times basically being like "hi, wtf!". I had UCI and Loyola waiting for my final decision at that point. It was v annoying. Ultimately chose CSUF bc of cost.

Hi Everyone,

PROS:

CONS:

****EDIT: Committee letters are in the works. This program was fine. We didn't get ANY structured MCAT prep (whether it be meeting med school reps or mock interviews, etc) beyond pre-req courses or meet with our cohort monthly. I'm so thankful for my cohort bc they were the only glimmering light.​
I recommend if you're fine to be on your own, just want a post-bacc certificate and don't want to pay UC prices.​
HOWEVER, if you can get into a Post-bacc with a linkage, DO IT. MCAT prep sucks lol and we got materials late...​
If you do join the CSUF 2023 Cohort, DM me for good profs to keep an eye out for! Unsure what they're going to do for summer O chem...we had to take Dr. Rogers and he was reported for sexual harassment....​
Hello and thank you so much for the info. I applied and was accepted to CSUF and CSUSM and am deciding between the two for an August 2024 start. After reading some info from you and other former students at CSUSM, I'm kind of leaning towards San Marcos. They don't have any linkages but I'm probably going to be pre-dental, and I don't think CSUF has a dental linkage anyway. If you have any further insight, please let me know! Thanks again!