OFFICIAL SUNY Stony Brook Class of 2009 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm not a student but I have question.

How is the email set up? (ie first name.last [email protected])

A former classmate who is MSTP (MS1) goes there and I want to get in contact with him. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

dpoke1 said:
I'm not a student but I have question.

How is the email set up? (ie first name.last [email protected])

A former classmate who is MSTP (MS1) goes there and I want to get in contact with him. Thanks

hey, its [email protected]

a bit of a mouthful i suppose.

hey guys!!
i'm so excited about starting stony brook!! since bigdan put up some pictures, you guys can check out my xanga! http://www.xanga.com/raindropz

i've been packing for school and it seems like i've packed too much... i keep forgetting that i'm living on-campus and won't have too much space for anything. it sucks that the dorm i'm staying in won't have an ac and i'll have to drag over a big fan =(

making one last trip down to hopkins for my soo bahk do (a korean martial art) belt test, and my bf's taking the mcat this saturday (eek!)!

Members don't see this ad :)
in case you haven't found it - incu, you can access SOLAR from stonybrook.edu

and you can buy the first month's parking permit on monday 8/22 - they have a list of our names apparently

4 more days of summer...soakin it up

It's not worth the money to buy a parking permit for the month of August, since it's ~$22 per month (so $22 for about eight days of parking from 8/22 to 8/31). The admission office will probably reimburse for parking the same way as during interview, or you can carpool, walk, etc.

Here's a preview of the social events planned for orientation week (subject to change):
Monday
5-7:30 BBQ at Dr. Edelman's house
9 Meet at a bar (TBD)

Tuesday
7-10 LI Ducks baseball game

Wednesday
8-12 Bowling and karaoke at Sports Plus

Thursday
1-3:30 Scavenger Hunt
3:30 - 7 Picnic at West Meadow Beach
9 Meet at a bar (TBD)

Friday
10 House Party at (second year students) house

Saturday
1ish BBQ and Softball game at a park

sounds like a busy schedule! Anybody know if all those events are mandatory or what not? I'm so bummed, my last week of freedom and I get an ear and sinus infection at the same time. Hopefully these antibiotics kick in and and I'll be ready to go for next week, looking forward to meeting you all.

-Did everyone get that letter about the kayaking trip? I still haven't decided if I'm going to go or not...

panerai1 said:
sounds like a busy schedule! Anybody know if all those events are mandatory or what not? I'm so bummed, my last week of freedom and I get an ear and sinus infection at the same time. Hopefully these antibiotics kick in and and I'll be ready to go for next week, looking forward to meeting you all.

-Did everyone get that letter about the kayaking trip? I still haven't decided if I'm going to go or not...

what kayaking trip? hmm i haven't gotten that.. orientation sounds so much fun!! i love karaoke and bars hahahah =D

Just moved everything into my apartment in Port Jefferson Station. It's kinda humid in here - anyone know if dehumidifiers really work? Or any other ways to cool off an apartment that is not feasible for air conditioners?

I didn't get all my mail yet; so I haven't seen anything on orientation from the school. Orientation looks like lots of time in a bar or two. I DEFINITELY have completed the pre-reqs for this part of medical school. Too bad the same can't be said for biochemistry...

Oh well. See you all soon.

Dan, my older brother lives out in Stony right now and uses a dehumidifier...he says he works real well. Cools the place down almost as much as an A/C. Besides, you can get one...try it out and if it doesn't work just send it back. Best Buy has 'em, i think and they have a great return policy.

That kayak trip sounds cool. if the weather is nice i think being out on the water on the north shore would be a perfect day. i'm definitely there...

there weren't too many details about the white coat ceremony...anybody bringing family? what are you guys wearing? i'm thinking the basic khaki/shirt/tie combo? probably doesn't make sense to wear a suit if we're getting a white coat!

Also, does anyone know if the school offers free antivirus software?

HED-

Good look on the dehumidifier. I'm on it.

As for the white coat - dress pants/shirt/tie like you said.

The school does offer some software; I think we get MS Office for free.

Where can a guy go out around here? I did some little ( and I mean itty bitty ) bars in Port Jefferson tonight, but they seemed more like amusement to fill time than a night out on the town.

And keep this thread going! We're really moving here!!!

dc

bigdan said:
HED-
Where can a guy go out around here? I did some little ( and I mean itty bitty ) bars in Port Jefferson tonight, but they seemed more like amusement to fill time than a night out on the town.

I'm originally from LI (right around Stony, actually), and Port Jeff is one of the better towns to go out to. But you should definitely check out http://nightlife.longisland.com/home.php, as it has a decent listing of more places.

See everyone at orientation :)

this time of year most people go either south (to fire island and/or a couple of south shore bars) or east (to the hamptons, montauk, etc.) once school kicks in, those port jeff bars get fun (but tend to be younger undergrads), I had a friend go to stony for undergrad and I used to trek out there...From what I remember, there's Billie's, which is the main college/sports bar, a couple other random places, and a second story jazz club that always sounded cool but I never made it to. See you guys on monday!

Jeff

Members don't see this ad :)
np dan.

anyway, what is everyone bringing with them for orientation week?
i was hoping to get by with just a notebook & pen and am still debating whether to bring the laptop.

mr. sparkle said:
np dan.

anyway, what is everyone bringing with them for orientation week?
i was hoping to get by with just a notebook & pen and am still debating whether to bring the laptop.

I was thinking of just a planner/notebook and pen but the laptop may be good too. I think we need to setup a Virtual Private Network on campus in the library...that way we can use outlook off campus I think...

so just to clarify...do we just park in the HSC parking lot on a day by day basis for this week and then buy a monthly pass for september? (i think someone said that would be cheaper?)

HED said:
so just to clarify...do we just park in the HSC parking lot on a day by day basis for this week and then buy a monthly pass for september? (i think someone said that would be cheaper?)

i believe we're supposed to park in the hospital garage the first day, which is physically separate from the hsc garage. (also, if i remember correclty, you can't get into the hsc garage without a monthly parking pass). the hospital garage is the first garage that comes up on your left when you come in through the main entrance. the hsc garages are the ones that come up after you drive past the emergency room, again on your left. hospital garage parking is $1.50/hr or $7.50/day max.

unless you're car pooling with other people, i'd say you're better off buying the monthly pass, even though it is for only two weeks. (there are offices to buy a monthly parking pass in both the hospital garage and in the hsc garage. )

-nk

I think I'm just going pen/notepad for monday at least, as none of the orientation paperwork said to bring it (laptop) for monday, and we'll get info for the rest of the week then. As for the parking pass, I might just buy the monthly anyways to avoid the hassle, even though it's probably cheaper to pay per diem. Anybody pick up any books yet? I just ordered lippincott's biochem, rohen's atlas and netter's anat flash cards over amazon...can't wait to meet all you guys, see you monday!!

Arrghh...

Pan- no hard feelings, but you already have your books? I'm jealous and frustrated. But I must confess that I found a Lippincott Biochemistry months ago and, from someone that has NEVER had Biochem, it's a very good book. Where did you find the book titles that we need to have? On the C BASE? I almost wanna know from the upperclassmen what they think we'll really need to buy; I don't wanna miss out on books, however.

Everyone - I'm not bringing the ol' laptop on Monday. Sounds like White Coat and chit chat for the first day, right? And regarding the parking, I just need to park at that garage that exists right after I pass the entrance to the medical school, right? I think the monthly parking pass will be financially better than daily parking everyday...right or wrong?

Keep this thread alive...we're kicking ass! I'm excited about this whole gig...wonder how long that will last...

dc

dan-

haha, no worries man, the three I bought came as recommendations from the "what books should I have for m1" thread. (the thread is kinda dead, I think it's about 4 pages deep now) I only bought 'em early I wasn't sure if the bookstore stocked them since none of them are the official texts for each class, and didn't want to have to wait for them if that was the case. If you go on Cbase, and click on view courses, you'll see the syllabi which has the books for each class. Biochem has 2 books, and anatomy recommends a huge list to pick from. I'm sure they'll be plenty of time to talk to M2's during orientation and see what the real deal is.

Hi everyone :)

Some advice from an MSIV-

Do not buy books prior to starting!!!! The last person I would use as a resource regarding which books to buy would be the course director- they usually have far-fetched visions as to what you should be reading, and this is probably due to most of them being PhD's.

Look to your upperclassman for advice on which books to get.

Some course specific recommendations-
Anatomy: Core Concepts (Stern's book), Netter and a dissection atlas.
Biochem: Lippincott ONLY
Physio: Costanzo's text on physio (was purple, and I'm not referring to her BRS physio) and also use the BRS version (good for step I), and the syllabi
Neuro: High Yield neuroanatomy, BRS neuro, the syllabus, an atlas that contains cross sectional slices of the brain
IHB: ONLY buy BRS for this course. DO NOT purchase that text they tell you to get for heaven's sake.
ICM: Bate's. DO NOT BUY Dr. Coulehan's touchy feely book on how to interact with patients.
Path: Robbin's- I bought the huge Robbin's and baby Robbin's, and I never regretted doing so. Also, buy Robbin's question book. This book is very useful. I would also highly recommend purchasing Medical Microbiology and Immunology: Examination and Board Review. This book is excellent (I still use it) and the immuno section is all you need for the immunology component of path. Also, buy BRS's path book and use it while taking path. It will help you so much when you are reviewing for step I.

That is all I remember now. Please ask me more specific questions if you want more info :)

Daisy - good look on the info? The Lippincott is really all we'll need for Biochem? Would you say the same for a poor soul like me that has never enjoyed the wonders of biochem? They did a great job of freaking me out at the orientation, with a phrase like "folks that haven't had undergrad biochem tend to fail or low pass the course".

Panerai - Looks like you actually did pretty good with your purchases, from what homegirl has to say. Kudos!

dc

Dan-

The biochem course probably has changed a bit compared to when I was an MSI. Dr. Simon was my course director, and I think Dr. Schecter (sp?) is now the course director. However, I would still say that using the lecture notes (you'll get these from the student run note service), the syllabi, and Lippincott would most likely be enough.

I was a chem major in undergrad and trust me when I say that you won't be at a supreme disadvantage having never taken biochem. The first three weeks of biochem in med school was equivalent to about 2-3 months of my undergrad biochem course. The pace will be fast and furious and you'll be fine as long as you are diligent in your studies. Most people who haven't taken biochem prior to med school probably crap out in the course due to lack of studying.

Med school is not rocket science. Take your coursework seriously and you'll do fine. Make sure you get a hold of old exams since these will serve as excellent study tools.

Daisy-

Thanks for the return of info...thanks for dropping in on us rookies.

Old exams are another thing I should seek to obtain from the uppers, no?

On a lighter note, where do you go out around here? I'm from Upstate NY, not a big ass city so I don't need a 4 floor club, but somewhere to have a brew (or several) and shake my ass...

dc

dan-

there's plenty of places that will start to kick up now that school is back is session...Unfortunately, the major ones are west of stony brook, like the nutty irishman in bay shore (my hometown), the crazy donkey or the nutty irishman II in Farmingdale, mulcahey's in wantaugh, etc. Port Jeff does get it's party on when school is back in, and labor day weekend in the hamptons is fun if you've got the $$$ for it and don't mind waiting in line (both in your car and outside of the clubs).

last minute question for tomorrow-are you guys bringing a change of clothes for the BBQ, or do you think we'll have enough time between orientation and it to change? I only ask cuz hanging poolside in a shirt, dress pants and tie (or a dressy outfit for our female brethren) isn't my idea of a cool afternoon...

pan-

I would be doing myself and beer a disservice if I did not get something to drink in a place called the Nutty Irishman or Crazy Donkey. Looks like I'll have to hit those up.

And, yes, I'm bring a change of clothes, but I was thinking of getting out of my shirt and stuff as soon as we are allowed to remove the white coats. But I will certainly change clothes before the Dean's shindig (which, JJ, is indeed on Monday).

See y'all tomorrow.

dc

Welcome to Stony Brook guys!

There will be plenty of fun stuff to do for the next week before the stuff hits the fan! Don't worry...

And for those ladies not in relationships - there are 2 eligible bachelors that live right next door! Just call them Harold and Kumar...

Be nice and don't hook up with anyone until the 2nd week so you can filter out the 1 or 2 that made it through that shouldn't have! Or you might end up married to one of them :eek:

:)

Wait wait wait....

I'm single (and hopefully eligible but pending your opinion, ladies). Don't count me out!!!

In just a few hours, the madness begins...

dc

what's up. i'm the harold mentioned in kassie's post. this anatomy lab thing is exciting. anyone looking forward to the class that will give us our permanent cologne/perfume?

i have better game than dan

any surfers out there?

"when 900 years you reach, look as good, you are not, hmm?" -yoda

bigdan said:
The game is afoot...

dc

the score will be 0-0 for now. the game begins tomorrow at 10am. from what i hear, the class of 2009 is mostly female.

it's on.

don't worry everyone, i'm sure that more people will join this sdn thread as soon as we spread the word of this tomorrow.

"oompa loompah doopity doo. i've got another puzzle for you." -oompa loompas

We gotta make it to the White Coat ceremony tomorrow!

The wolves are out...go seawolves! :laugh:

NPH said:
the score will be 0-0 for now. the game begins tomorrow at 10am. from what i hear, the class of 2009 is mostly female.

it's on.

don't worry everyone, i'm sure that more people will join this sdn thread as soon as we spread the word of this tomorrow.

"oompa loompah doopity doo. i've got another puzzle for you." -oompa loompas

...and I went and got married in July, darn...j/k :D

NPH-Been surfing/bodyboarding for over 10 years now, worked at a surf shop on LI for the past six years (for you non Islanders, yeah we get waves here I swear ;) ) See y'all tomorrow AM!

Jeff C

just a few hours away...and to recap this whole thread i think BigDan gets the prize for most posts! btw, Dan how'd that dehumidifier work for you? i may have to get one now!

I just moved in all my stuff finally and on the way out to dinner..BAM got a ticket from a stony brook cop...not a good way to start the year...already in more debt!

I've only been surfing a handful of times in Florida and in Cali. Anyone around here bike?...both mountain and road? i'm looking for some training buddies...

What kind of ticket? Speeding? Parking? Public intoxication? Nudity?

Holy cow there are so many new posts to sort through. See you all tomorrow.

Mark

HED said:
just a few hours away...and to recap this whole thread i think BigDan gets the prize for most posts! btw, Dan how'd that dehumidifier work for you? i may have to get one now!

I just moved in all my stuff finally and on the way out to dinner..BAM got a ticket from a stony brook cop...not a good way to start the year...already in more debt!

I've only been surfing a handful of times in Florida and in Cali. Anyone around here bike?...both mountain and road? i'm looking for some training buddies...

that's crazy. BAM must have been really pushing it to get a ticket. suffolk county cops are the most laid back i've ever seen. well, if anyone wants to surf, i've got two boards (6'4" and 5'10") which only work when them hurricanes send us some swell.

will anyone actually figure out my true identity? (anyone get the reference of my sn?)

NEVER!

"redruuuum. redruuum. tony's not here mrs. torrance." -the thing that possesses tony in "the shining"

NPH said:
will anyone actually figure out my true identity? (anyone get the reference of my sn?)

i've seen harold & kumar enough times to know those initials anywhere :p

Orientation rocked; Stony Brook rocks.

Welcome all SDN newcomers, and a hello to all the SDNers I met today.

Keep on keepin' on! Our class is great!

dc

Dude,
This class of 2009 is tight! I had a great first day with you all. What's the score bigdan? huh? huh?!

NPH-

A classy gentleman, like me, keeps no score, but gives credit where credit is due. You have game; we'll see how things shake out over the long run.

Pleasure to meet everyone!

dc

is anyone out there into music production/composition, smoking cigars, checking out random bars? though this first week has been great and all, i'm getting a little bleh right now.

NPH-

Let me know what you're looking at doing for checking out random bars. I think cigar smoke stinks, and I have the musical acumen of a rock. As for the bars, I'd love to see what else exists - my trouble, however, is a lack of funds until the loan arrives...

See ya soon.

dc

C'mon guys - keep this alive - for now at least, since we may not have time to post at all in another 96 hours or so...

Maybe we can use this forum to offer support or ask for mneumonics or whatever for these first two courses of horror coming up?

dc

dang. this is a totally limp bulletin. where is everyone?

NPH-

"Limp"? Unfortunately, that's quite accurate.

Guys and gals - where y'all at? Can't you guys at least courtesy post? Or why don't you lurkers sign in to SDN and join us? Maybe you can lemme know where people are going out at or what they're all doing or whatever. What books did you guys get/not get? Any good resturants? Anything...just post!

Keep on postin'!

dc