Official St. Louis University c/o 2009 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
To answer some questions:

First, Financial Aid. Welcome to SLU - aka debt. There is nothing you can do about the cost of tuition (we actually had the lowest rise in tuition for the upcoming year of all schools at St. Louis U), so just learn to accept the fact that you are going to accumulate debt. First years generally don't recieve scholarship money. Starting second year it supposedly starts getting a bit easier to get some more univeristy aid. You won't hear back from financial aid until sometime in April/May when they have compiled your aid package. You will get all the aid you need one way or another (aka private loans), so there is nothing to really worry about.

FREE time in St. Louis? The Budweiser brewery tour is free and you get free samples in the tasting room at the end. Or the arch is always a good option. Forest Park, home of the free St. Louis Zoo, free Art Mueseum, and free History Museum is also a good time. And there is also the ever popular free City Museum and free Science Center. Have I mentioned that this is all free?

Anatomy Books? My my... we have some overachievers. Just joking with you. You will definitely use Netters Atlas in the Gross Lab (and that copy will stay in the lab as your juicy,dirty copy). For personal studying? Most of my classmates and I used Nettters. Some of the professors preferred Grants and used it's illustrations in class (the cross-sections/surface anatomy figures in Grants sometimes appeared on the "slides" portion of our exams). An imaging atlas (X-rays, CT, MRI) is also helpful for the slides portion of the exam. A lot of my friends also bought Rohen's color atlas of anatomy - it is full of actual pictures of beautiful dissections... supposedly like what you do in lab, but unfortunately none of my classmates (nor I) are as talented as Mr. Rohen and friends. Anyways, my advice? Check out the books in a medical bookstore and compare similar pictures. Figure out which one you feel most comfortable with, and get that. Oh, and remember, that no matter what school you go to, there will likely be a book fair sometime orientation week at which you can get gently used books for a good deal cheaper than any bookstore.

My final words for now...Don't, I repeat, DON'T freak out if you don't hear anything from SLU from now until the beginning summer. Communication with incoming students is definitely not one of our greatest strengths. But please don't let that reflect on the school. (Keep in mind that SLU has a pretty large turnover rate once waitlists start moving). Once you get here, I PROMISE that everyone is more than helpful. You will be asking people to stop helping you and stop giving you information. But until then, if you have any questions, feel free to ask me or call financial aid or call admissions.

Again, Congrats and Good Luck!

Members don't see this ad.

hey beanie
thanks for all your help and advice :thumbup:
we soon-to-be-ms1's will need it!

Beanie said:
FREE time in St. Louis? The Budweiser brewery tour is free and you get free samples in the tasting room at the end. Or the arch is always a good option. Forest Park, home of the free St. Louis Zoo, free Art Mueseum, and free History Museum is also a good time. And there is also the ever popular free City Museum and free Science Center. Have I mentioned that this is all free?

I dunno the last time you've been but the City Museum is definately not free. I had to pay an arm and a leg to get me and my brother in there. It's fun but constantly infested with kids. Not to mention the fact that no actual learning takes place there.

All the other stuff is fun and free though.

I still recommend the brewery tour.

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed on 2/8 and I haven't heard back. Anyone else interviewed around that time? Did you hear back?

sdnstud said:
I interviewed on 2/8 and I haven't heard back. Anyone else interviewed around that time? Did you hear back?

I interviewed later in the month. They told me that response times were 4 - 6 weeks b/c they were behind on reviewing applications. I really liked SLU it seems like a cool place to go.

Hey thanks Beanie.

Sdnstud, I interviewed on 2/1 and got my acceptance letter on 2/22 so you should hear soon. The letter was dated 2/18. Good luck.

Hey EMT-CO32, thanks for the head up. I was told at the interview to expect a decision in 2-4 weeks and next tuesday is the 4th week. :scared:

EMT-CO32 said:
Hey thanks Beanie.

Sdnstud, I interviewed on 2/1 and got my acceptance letter on 2/22 so you should hear soon. The letter was dated 2/18. Good luck.

Hey does anyone know when SLU's 2nd look weekend is?

EMT-CO32 said:

2nd look weekend? i didnt know slu had one.
id love to go there again and look around

anyone know abt it?

EMT-CO32 said:
I was under the impression that SLU did not have one.

I got my acceptance letter today! I interviewed on 2/8, so 4 weeks post-interview. I really liked the school before my interview, but I had a very negative interview experience. I'd love to attend the second-look weekend if SLU has one.

For those who have been accepted, What do you like/dislike about the school? Did you noticed that the students weren't too close-knited with each other (perhaps because SLU has no dorms)? Did you find the medical school building a little run-down? the surrounding area a little scary (one guy had his car stolen 3 times in 2 years)? the professors kind of aloof?

EMT-CO32 said:
Hey thanks Beanie.

sdnstud said:
I got my acceptance letter today! I interviewed on 2/8, so 4 weeks post-interview. I really liked the school before my interview, but I had a very negative interview experience. I'd love to attend the second-look weekend if SLU has one.

For those who have been accepted, What do you like/dislike about the school? Did you noticed that the students weren't too close-knited with each other (perhaps because SLU has no dorms)? Did you find the medical school building a little run-down? the surrounding area a little scary (one guy had his car stolen 3 times in 2 years)? the professors kind of aloof?

Congrats on your admission!! :)

omg someone had their car stolen 3 times in 2 yrs!!! hmmm i didnt notice the stuff you mentioned, but yeah id like to go there again for a 2nd look.

sdnstud said:

I didn't go to an interview where the med school had dorms all year, so SLU not having them seemed normal, though its students did live more all over the city then my other interviews - leading me to feel the same way you did about the class. Facilities were not the greatest, but they werent bad. I really thought the campus was quite appealing. The neighborhood behind campus was borderline slummy. Students are made aware of where not to park, I would be somewhat uncomfortable attending school and not being entirely comfortable around campus. Professors seemed cool, sat in a on seminar, very interesting. For the reasons you said, and I elaborated on, and because of the cost to attend SLU, I will not be matriculating there, though I do feel it is a nice school. Just not for me (or you) apparently.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone have update on SLU's financial aid procedures? As far as I know, there are 3 applications associated w/ SLU FA:

1. FAFSA
2. Need Access Group Application
3. On-line institutional Aid form

does anyone know the deadline for filing the Need Access Group Application? Also, can anyone access the On-line institutional Aid form?

I got the letter of acceptance from SLU about a week ago. I was pretty surprised since Dean Wilmore although nice, didn't seem that interested in what I had to say. But, I got in so I must've done something right. Congrats to all of you.

RaaMD said:
I got the letter of acceptance from SLU about a week ago. I was pretty surprised since Dean Wilmore although nice, didn't seem that interested in what I had to say. But, I got in so I must've done something right. Congrats to all of you.

Congrats!

You don't know how happy that makes me, because I felt the same vibe from Dean Willmore after my interview. :laugh:

I think someone else earlier in the thread mentioned that it's his interviewing style.

Quick question for those more familiar with St Louis Med...

I sent in my application in mid February since the first them I sent my application, it was lost in mail and St Louis never bothered to tell me. Does that mean I will pretty much get automatically get rejected soon since my app was received so late?

lakersfan said:
Quick question for those more familiar with St Louis Med...

I sent in my application in mid February since the first them I sent my application, it was lost in mail and St Louis never bothered to tell me. Does that mean I will pretty much get automatically get rejected soon since my app was received so late?

What do they say when you ask the admissions office about it?

Kazema said:
What do they say when you ask the admissions office about it?

They told me I could just mail them another check and that my app would be reviewed. I'm pretty sure Ill get a rejection letter because its so late even though my stats are decent but kinda frustrated with the mailing service... Vermont cashed my check but said they didnt get my letter of recs and I had to send UCSD my letters of recs twice too. I knew USPS was bad but not THIS bad.

anyone know when the orientation for the entering '05 class starts this fall?
or where can i find this info. the slu website has last years starting date (1 august 2004)

thanks

Alright, I'll take another round at the questions/concerns. Remember this is just my humble opinion or my limited knowledge.

Car theft. Welcome to St.Louis, the 2nd (or 3rd) leading city in crime in the US. Most of the crime though thankfully is just that - car theft. They've started cracking down on it, but it's still a bit rampant. The solution? Buy a CLUB at your nearest WalMart, pay the money to park in the garage/gated lots, pay to park off the street wherever you live, don't leave your car downtown overnight, don't have anything of great value visible in your car. Be smart.

The neighborhood. SLU is an urban hospital with an urban population and has made that to be it's mission. So where better to be than in an urban area? That does NOT mean that you have to live there. Yes the neighbrohood may seem a bit shady (it still does to me every now and again), but again if you are smart you will be safe. Trust me when I say the neighborhood is not the worst of St. Louis. I have never not felt safe on campus. It may just be that I am that naiive, but I like to think that I'm smart about it - walking in the lighted areas or with other people, parking in gated lots, etc. - in addition to the actual campus security (there is always a cop stationed at night near the parking lots and where you walk).

Financial Aid. The easiest way to have your questions answered is to just call the FA office. They are all really nice and know how confusing all this money stuff can be to us, so don't be shy. 314. 977.9840

Student living. Yes we do seem to be spread out a bit over the city. But I think that is because St. Louis offers so many different (and affordable) living options. If you want to live Downtown, or in a happening neighborhood (Central West End), or in a quieter part (South county) or in a house, STL has got you covered. Does that impact our class dynamics? Nope. We still all manage to study together, and go out together, and relax together. While St. Louis is a city, it's not New York, DC, Chicago, or LA. It's very quick to get from one part of town to another.

Second Look. We don't have a second look weekend :( Sorry. Hopefully, maybe, we can get something put together over this next year to offer it then. (Although that is of no help to you).

Orientation/Start Date. Man, I haven't gotten through this year and you already are asking me to think about next? Just kidding with you. I believe we start school August 8th so orientation week would be the week before that. At least that is the date that has stuck in my head for some reason. Plan on early August!

Remember that you have to make this decision for yourself, that may seem pretty obvious, but I think it is sometimes easy to get caught up in others opinions (I know I struggled with that last year) - a good school for you may not be the right school for everyone else!

Hope that helps! Again congrats, and good luck to all of you!

Again, thanks for your help Beanie :)

Hey has anyone who interviewed around the 20th of February heard anything from the Ad-Com yet ? I check my mail like 4x a day I cant wait for the big envelope, (i hope) :scared:

Argh waitlisted today, I’ll give someone 100.00 for their acceptance :p Oh well I hear SLU has a quite a bit of movement after may 15. I wish they told me my rank though, that sux.

Homer Doughnuts said:
Argh waitlisted today, I’ll give someone 100.00 for their acceptance :p Oh well I hear SLU has a quite a bit of movement after may 15. I wish they told me my rank though, that sux.

i hope you get in. ive also heard the slu waitlist moves fast may thru july.
:luck:

Homer Doughnuts said:
I'll do it for $120, acceptance letter and white out included.

Homer Doughnuts said:

I withdrew my acceptance this week, so there's one spot open. I've heard great things about the school, but it just wasn't right for me. I sincerely hope that you get in! :luck:

BTW, where's my $100? Just kidding ;)

YzIa said:
I'll do it for $120, acceptance letter and white out included.

You got yourself a deal, where do I send the check. Also does anyone know if they disclose your waitlist rank over the phone? Thanks !!

Homer Doughnuts said:
You got yourself a deal, where do I send the check. Also does anyone know if they disclose your waitlist rank over the phone? Thanks !!

Reading posts from last year, it seemed that they never disclosed rank.

Congratulations to everyone!

I'm going to be matriculating at SLU this fall, too, and look forward to meeting all of you.

Homer Doughnuts said:
I just dropped my acceptance this week and told them I prefer my seat go to a Mr. H Doughnuts. PM me for details on where to wire the $. :thumbup:

hmmm... is it possible to tell medschools to whom you want your spot to go to??
im dropping some acceptances at other places, so i wanna know.

pakidoc said:
:laugh: No!
I mean yes Homer.

pakidoc said:

No. I wondered that too. You're decided on SLU, right? Have fun this fall and best wishes! :thumbup:

I interviewed in early March and just got my acceptance last Saturday. I am pretty sure I will end up there. Where are all of you looking at living. I am married and looking for a nice safe place. Anybody with helpful advice?

I wondering if any of you gotten your fin aid package yet? Thx

I called the FA office today. The lady told me that they're "working on institutional aid distribution today and an email will be sent out today or tomorrow."

nervouspremed said:
I wondering if any of you gotten your fin aid package yet? Thx

The 1st and 2nd year classes have a housing website for recommendations on places to live....

http://medschool.slu.edu/housing/

It is in the process of being updated so things may be changing a bit. But for a good overview of various areas you can live in St. Louis check out "Getting to Know St. Louis".

Another site to check out is the housing forum (especially if you are looking for roommates) You will have to e-mail student affairs for a passcode.

http://medschool.slu.edu/housing/index.phtml?page=discussion_board

If you have any specific questions, feel free to PM me and I'll try to help the best I can or find someone else to help you out!

Just got my financial aid offer. $5000 scholarship and $2000 university loans. I will be withdrawing from slu later today. hopefully my spot will go to one of you waiting.

sdnstud said:
Just got my financial aid offer. $5000 scholarship and $2000 university loans. I will be withdrawing from slu later today. hopefully my spot will go to one of you waiting.
'Sup fellow SLUMed declining buddy! I just received my financial aid offer from SLU as well (a week later than they said it would come, I might add). All I received was loan offers at SLU, the most expensive school I applied to. I received far better offers at cheaper schools, even a state school (UMich).

I too have withdrawn my acceptance at SLU. Good luck to those out there on the waitlist.

Hey I interviewed at SLU in early April, and I was wondering if anybody else who interviewed around that time has heard anything back yet. I am trying to be as patient as possible. :)

futrorthodr said:
Hey I interviewed at SLU in early April, and I was wondering if anybody else who interviewed around that time has heard anything back yet. I am trying to be as patient as possible. :)

I also interviewed at the beginning of April and have yet to hear, do they have to let us know by the 15th?

That is what I was wondering as well. They told us at the interview it would be 3-4 weeks so I expect it any day now. I am just trying to hold out from calling.

futrorthodr said:
That is what I was wondering as well. They told us at the interview it would be 3-4 weeks so I expect it any day now. I am just trying to hold out from calling.

Give them a call, see what they say. It sucks waiting

Have you given them a call yet?

futrorthodr said:
Have you given them a call yet?

I emailed them about three weeks post interview and all I got was that a decision had not been made. You would think they would have to let us know by th 15th but thats only 4 days away

I wouldn't expect to hear as quick as they told you (3-4 weeks). I interviewed at the beggining of March and they told us the same thing. After over a month of waiting I broke down and called. They told me that they are way behind processing applications this year, and that I would have to wait a couple more weeks. My acceptance came on May 7, so it was around 2 months before I heard. Who knows though, maybe with May 15th fast approaching they are getting more on the ball.

Add me to the crappy financial aid award list.

I had already withdrawn but still....it's pretty bad...

I hope my spot goes to one of the lucky waitlisters on this forum!

I'm a little bitter. I took all that time. Filling out that stupid Need Access application with school's app and I find I get only Stafford loans. Nothing from SLU and not only that, no scholarships nada. I get 45,167 total. Only to cover the tuition and fees. What a waste.

I pulled out of SLU this afternoon.

Well I got my letter today and am now a member of SLU's ranked alternate list. :( If you call will they tell you were you are on the alternate list??