This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

amm06351

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! My name is Alexa and I am a SHPEP 2018 Howard alum. Recently I have been selected as a SHPEP ambassador and am dedicated to recruit pre-health students for the best summer internship ever! I started this thread because the application opens December 1st and I'm sure questions will pop up as you work your way through the application. I posted this under Pre-Med but there is opportunities for every discipline. For more information on the program, look at shpep.org.

Also feel free to direct message me as well!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Hi Alexa! I am applying for SHPEP and I was wondering what the admissions team really looks for, do they change the essay question every year and is the essay the most important part of the application?

Hello! Every site is looking for a different type of student in my opinion so i would look at the schools mission statements to see where you’d fit in best. At Howard, our program directors told us that we were chosen based on our personal statements. The year before me there were two essays but my year it was just one. All of the topics are very broad and mainly ask about why you want to be in the medical field and why. There might be a few little questions as well that ask you to talk about your work ethic, personality, and more.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay thank you so much! The application hasnt opened yet but do they ask for a resume and recommendations? Also, is it true that you have a better chance of getting into a site that is in your state?

Okay thank you so much! The application hasnt opened yet but do they ask for a resume and recommendations? Also, is it true that you have a better chance of getting into a site that is in your state?

So the application is basically like filling out a resume, you won’t need to attach one though. You need one recomendation letter from a science teacher, a professor of your major or your prehealth advisor. I wasn’t aware of the in-state preference till I got to Howard. There were many students from around the area so I would say to apply to your state school as one of your options to be safe!

Thank you so much! For the application do we fill in our extracurriculars from high school (senior year) or do they have to be more recent (freshman year of college)?

Thank you so much! For the application do we fill in our extracurriculars from high school (senior year) or do they have to be more recent (freshman year of college)?

I put senior year stuff and college! There’s a limit of 10 things you can list in that column so pick the best ones from those years

Hi Alexa, thank you so much for your insight. I was wondering how competitive is each site? What’s a good way to decide which sites to apply to? And is over qualification really an issue? Thanks!

Hi Alexa, thank you so much for your insight. I was wondering how competitive is each site? What’s a good way to decide which sites to apply to? And is over qualification really an issue? Thanks!

Shpep is a very competitive program overall! I believe every site is competitive so I wouldn’t choose based off that. I know last year at Howard 992 kids applied and they can only take 80! I would take the time to read their mission statements they have on shpep website and see if any match with your desires and passions; This will be important for your personal statement so that way they’ll see you have the same interests as them. I do recommend applying to the one in your state if there is one. I regret not applying to the Houston one because I thought everyone had an equal shot to get in but I realized at Howard it was better for instate kids. As for over qualification, it’s hard to say because each school has a different type of student in mind. I believe the personal statement is the determining factor so I wouldn’t be too worried!

Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys!!!! Application opens today!!! You can go in and save your progress so you can work on it steadily. I highly encourage you guys to work on this application over your Christmas breaks! It’s much better to apply earlier rather than later

Reactions: 1 user
Hello everybody, I am a McGovern Medical School SHPEP alum of Summer 2018. I was pretty active in the 2018 SHPEP forum and still remember some of the challenges we faced as applicants. I know @amm12345 is doing a great job of being an ambassador but if you would like to hear about my experience, please do not hesitate to message me!

SHPEP was such a life changing experience for me. I hope you all have that same opportunity. :)

Reactions: 4 users
Any tips on the personal statement?

Talk about life experiences that have sparked your interest in the health professions! Also, include any hobbies and explain how they’ve helped you build good work ethic, talk about your family background (if you’re a first gen or such).. most importantly explain how this program would be a great help in your journey to grad school!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello!

So I finished my application, and submitted it. They have received my transcript, and they’re still waiting on my letter of recommendation.

My stats are not very good:
My GPA: 2.81

But that’s why I want to get into the program: so I can receive tips that can enhance my application.

I listed two extracurricular & I did not write the essay for economically disadvantaged, though my income levels were not very high.

I hope I can still get accepted, & I will keep y’all updated! I think this program will really assist me to become a more rounded individual, and also assist me to become a better student.

For those who got in, when did was your application ready for review, and how were your statistics ???

Hello!
So I finished my application, and submitted it. They have received my transcript, and they’re still waiting on my letter of recommendation.
But that’s why I want to get into the program: so I can receive tips that can enhance my application.
I listed two extracurricular & I did not write the essay for economically disadvantaged, though my income levels were not very high.
I hope I can still get accepted, & I will keep y’all updated! I think this program will really assist me to become a more rounded individual, and also assist me to become a better student.

Don’t doubt yourself!! You never know what they’re looking for each year. You finished it early though so that’s something that will help! They might even see you as a good candidate because you’ll benefit from the help in the summer classes! They’re designed to expose you to the content before you take it and Give you a little boost!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

For those who got in, when did was your application ready for review, and how were your statistics ???

I believe mine was ready for review early January. I had a 3.2 gpa! I applied to UCLA, Washington and Howard and only got waitlisted to Howard. I was on the waitlist for 2 and a half weeks but finally got accepted!

Wow!! Thank you for the encouragement!!!

HI y'all!! I am also applying for SHPEP for this cycle as a freshman. Who did you ask for your recommendation? My chem professor knows me very little since her class has 900+ students. I am thinking of asking following people:
1. TA (Knows me very well but only in terms of my academic aspects)
2. Doctor that I shadowed for 4 weeks so far
3. My AP Chemistry high school teacher (Got a 5 on that class; she still keeps in touch with me)

I am not sure whom to ask for :(

HI y'all!! I am also applying for SHPEP for this cycle as a freshman. Who did you ask for your recommendation? My chem professor knows me very little since her class has 900+ students. I am thinking of asking following people:
1. TA (Knows me very well but only in terms of my academic aspects)
2. Doctor that I shadowed for 4 weeks so far
3. My AP Chemistry high school teacher (Got a 5 on that class; she still keeps in touch with me)

I am not sure whom to ask for :(

Hi! I actually got mine from my sociology professor! However I’m not a science major (untraditional, I know) so I would keep it in the sciences if you are. But I’d suggest asking someone that can speak to your character rather than grades!! So I would go with either the doctor(if y’all get to talk a lot and have gotten close) or your old high school teacher! Double check the application though to make sure who it asks for and if it’s ok for it to be front m a high school instructor. I don’t remember what the exact rules they say.

upload_2018-12-23_7-21-28.png

oh they do! Thanks for your quick reply!!! I appreciated

Hello!

Hey! All the best luck applying to SHPEP. I was a McGovern Medical School Summer 2018 SHPEP Alumnus. I can share some statistics about getting into that program site since they shared it with us at the end. Our program site offered three pre-professional groups: medical, dental, and nursing. There were nearly 700 applicants to that site alone and there were 80 attending scholars. Medical had a 9% acceptance rate, dental had a 22% and nursing had a 26%. They also broke it down by race and gender. I’m happy to share that too, if you’d like. SHPEP is a very competitive program but at the same time, they value diversity and understand that students come from all walks of life. Do not sell yourself short!!

My stats are as follows:
Applied from a community college with a 4.0 GPA. I wrote my essays on my hardships growing up in a low-income, single parent household and the challenges that came when my parents divorced. I also talked about my passions in science and academia. I shared my goals and wishes to become a physician. I had numerous awards/scholarships/honors from hospitals, school, and my musicianship. I had a strong record of community service. I also had published research.

Do not think that you need outstanding grades, records or whatever to get into SHPEP because the scholars I met at McGovern came from literally all over. I was a well-rounded applicant from a community college, but there were also failing students from Ivy League universities there too. What is absolutely nessesary to make it into a SHPEP site is this: something that you will be able to contribute to everyone else’s experience and the spirit of learning & discovery.

Reactions: 2 users
I haven't finished my application yet. How do you apply for multiple locations? Is the application automatically submitted to all SHPEP locations?

I am currently applying as a freshman but the only thing I have done in college is joining a minority pre-med students club as freshman advocates... Is it okay if I add what I have done in high school if it is very meaningful to me? Also, would getting the recommendation from my high school teacher put me in disadvantage?

I don’t think having a high school teacher recommendation would give you a setback. Think about any professors you could have had this past Fall semester. Either will do. When I applied, I was only in my pre-health organization. You’re a first year; they won’t be expecting tons of college experience just yet. I would list the most important high school accomplishments. For example: if I was debating between putting down that I volunteered for a parade over a hospital, I would put the hospital. Prioritize.
I am currently applying as a freshman but the only thing I have done in college is joining a minority pre-med students club as freshman advocates... Is it okay if I add what I have done in high school if it is very meaningful to me? Also, would getting the recommendation from my high school teacher put me in disadvantage?

Hey everyone! I'm a freshman applying to SHPEP. I'm not sure which sites I will apply to yet, but it will be on the medical path.

Does anyone know if when you apply matters? Is an earlier application more beneficial than a later one?

Hey everyone! I'm a freshman applying to SHPEP. I'm not sure which sites I will apply to yet, but it will be on the medical path.

Does anyone know if when you apply matters? Is an earlier application more beneficial than a later one?

According to Columbia's SHPEP, it says "Early admission is for students whose application is completed on or before February 1. They will receive their admission decision on February 15. All applications completed after February 1 will be reviewed under the regular admission guidelines. Regular admission students will receive their admission decision on April 1."

I am also a freshman applying for the program too! Good luck to you :) Have you finished your essay yet?

According to Columbia's SHPEP, it says "Early admission is for students whose application is completed on or before February 1. They will receive their admission decision on February 15. All applications completed after February 1 will be reviewed under the regular admission guidelines. Regular admission students will receive their admission decision on April 1."

I am also a freshman applying for the program too! Good luck to you :) Have you finished your essay yet?

Thanks so much!! Good luck to you too :) I'm about 1/2 done. What about you?

Thanks so much!! Good luck to you too :) I'm about 1/2 done. What about you?
I just finished but need to be revised :( I exceeded the word limit of 600 (currently have 700s)... What kind of extracurricular activities did you put? Would it be ok if I put what I have done for four years of high school and senior awards too?

In case it hasn’t been advised beforehand, APPLY EARLY! Some people have reported “Action Dates” where they are reviewed by the admission comittee way before the actual deadline. You won’t know your status until it’s released in March (or whenever it’s released), however. In other words, students may have seats already for them long before the actual deadline.

Is anyone else having trouble with the SHPEP essay formatting? The application keeps on ignoring indentation and making my essay into one huge paragraph. Please help!

"Is anyone else having trouble with the SHPEP essay formatting? The application keeps on ignoring indentation and making my essay into one huge paragraph. Please help!"

I had that same problem, but I think its the nature of the website. Even if you add spaces using "ENTER" it will still make it into one big paragraph. I just submitted mine as is.

I just finished but need to be revised :( I exceeded the word limit of 600 (currently have 700s)... What kind of extracurricular activities did you put? Would it be ok if I put what I have done for four years of high school and senior awards too?
I'm putting some activities I had leadership roles in during high school if I continued it to my senior year and currently, as well as some awards I've received in the last couple of years. What about you?

I'm putting some activities I had leadership roles in during high school if I continued it to my senior year and currently, as well as some awards I've received in the last couple of years. What about you?

I will just put most meaningful activities that I have done through four years of HS. I only have done 2 ECs (premed club ambassador and shadowing) as a freshman.

Has anyone submitted yet? I'm worried I'm submitting too late. I probably won't be done until Sunday.

Hi. I have a question about what to put for Post Secondary Experiences / Honors section.
My pre-health advisor told me to put only what I have done AFTER I started college (currently a freshman).
But is it ok to put some awards I received (two nationals, one city-wide) that I received while I was in high school too?

So it looks like they prefer people with less credit hours... I took a LOT of courses at my current university (public state school) during high school after I finished all of my high school course requirements. I have over 60 credits and, after this semester, around 75. Am I still eligible?

Hi guys, In addition to the helpful SHPEP alumni in this thread, Im also a 2018 SHPEP alum as a Pre-Dental at Rutgers University. I used SDN to my advantage during the last application cycle, and I must say learning from other’s experiences/stats was a tremendous help. I am currently a junior in university. Any questions about the program, don’t hesitate to ask.

So it looks like they prefer people with less credit hours... I took a LOT of courses at my current university (public state school) during high school after I finished all of my high school course requirements. I have over 60 credits and, after this semester, around 75. Am I still eligible?
Hi @dangkat5 I applied to SHPEP with over 60 (I believe I had 64) credits as a transfer student and STILL got in! I would say the most critical factor in your acceptance is your personal statement. I spent 2-3 weeks crafting and editing my statement and I believe this is what allowed me to get accepted to Rutgers SHPEP for 2018.

Hi. I have a question about what to put for Post Secondary Experiences / Honors section.
My pre-health advisor told me to put only what I have done AFTER I started college (currently a freshman).
But is it ok to put some awards I received (two nationals, one city-wide) that I received while I was in high school too?
Hi @hunterhawk I listed about 2/3 of my experiences/ awards that I accomplished during college. I listed about 1/3 of my experiences/awards that I did during highschool. Based of my experience, both hs and college experiences/awards should be fine.

I submitted my app today. Wish me luck guys!
I sent it to Rutgers, Louisville, and UTH!!

Hello all! I found out about SHPEP kind of late and am wondering my chances of getting accepted. I have just requested my transcript as well as reference yesterday. The reference is to be written by my Pre-Health advisor who suggested I still apply and that it’s not too late (as I originally had thought) so I believe they’ll have a grasp on the urgency of getting it done. Also, I have a strong GPA with volunteer positions both clinical and community service. I am financially disadvantaged per the guidelines given by SHPEP and a first-gen college student. I plan on applying to Columbia and Rutgers due to the proximity to my residence. Of course, I would love to attend the program at the University of Florida site however, the cost of travel impedes that hope. Though I’ve read that this cost may be covered? Any feedback and guidance would be appreciated.

How did you guys separate each paragraph of the essay? I have been pressing enter to add extra lines, but it's keep coming back.
Also, using the quotation mark will not result in proper representation of actual quotation mark ("). It will be replaced as ";

Hello all! I found out about SHPEP kind of late and am wondering my chances of getting accepted. I have just requested my transcript as well as reference yesterday. The reference is to be written by my Pre-Health advisor who suggested I still apply and that it’s not too late (as I originally had thought) so I believe they’ll have a grasp on the urgency of getting it done. Also, I have a strong GPA with volunteer positions both clinical and community service. I am financially disadvantaged per the guidelines given by SHPEP and a first-gen college student. I plan on applying to Columbia and Rutgers due to the proximity to my residence. Of course, I would love to attend the program at the University of Florida site however, the cost of travel impedes that hope. Though I’ve read that this cost may be covered? Any feedback and guidance would be appreciated.

Apply to Columbia, Rutgers AND UF! Most program sites will provide travel expenses if you get into their program.

I just submitted my application and ordered my transcript! If it's postmarked today, would it still be considered early?

Oh, and I have a 3.61 GPA, over 60 credit hours (after this semester, over 70). I'm applying to Columbia, Rutgers, and Nebraska all for medicine. My ECs and honors include a full ride scholarship here (given to three people a year from in-state and you can't apply for it (you get chosen from applications to interview)), a national award, some leadership experience in high school and college, and some community service activities. Unfortunately, it wouldn't let me add my research experience for some reason in high school and I haven't officially started in my lab this year yet.

I'm also financially disadvantaged (Medicaid and PELL) but am not an underrepresented minority or a first generation student. (I am a first generation American though, but I don't think that counts as anything.)

I just submitted my application and ordered my transcript! If it's postmarked today, would it still be considered early?
Oh sorry. I don't think the Columbia has not updated their FAQ document. I watched one of webinar section, and the admission team mentioned that there is no early acceptance program. Though, it's better to be submitted as early as possible. As long as all of your documents are submitted and verified, i think it should be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.