***Official Saint Louis University (SLU) School of Medicine Class of 2013***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
for both econdr and datdood.

no. if it works and you're okay wiht it, it's fine.

Members don't see this ad.

What is our schedule going to be like? I know that we have Anatomy and ACS as our first two classes. Are they like 8am to 12pm M-F? Also, how often are exams?

ACS lectures are pretty much "optional", the majority of you will go in the beginning but it will probably dwindle to about 30% attendance by the end of the school year. These classes are always in the afternoon usually around 1-2. If I remember right the class doesn't really pick up until after anatomy.

You do take anatomy with embryology, but embryo is only 6 lectures spread over 6 weeks. As for anatomy, its everyday from 8-10 (except on some fridays where class begins at 9). Lecture is about 2 - 3 hours max a day. Dissection occurs from after lecture till whenever the group finishes. Depending on what group you are in (group B is the easiest, C is the hardest, and A is inbetween), you could have a 3 hour dissection. I remember my group did the posterior triangle of the neck (group C) and that took us from 10AM to about 4PM.

After anatomy it calms down a lot. The next 2 blocks are pretty laid back and the final pharm and path block aren't nearly as bad as anatomy either.

The first week of medical school will be your hardest week as it'll take you time to adjust to the type and amount of studying you need to do.

Anatomy is 10 weeks long and there is exam on the 3rd, 6th, and 10th week. Testing is from 12-5pm. Generally your exams first year will be every 3rd - 4th week. Hope this helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
Actually that was incredibly helpful. Thanks so much.

Hi all
4th year student here. I noticed a post about textbooks and I thought I'd comment. Don't buy anything until you've gone through orientation. The sopohmore class usually puts on a used book fair where you can find books of all levels of quality and all prices. Plus many upperclassmen (myself included) are going to be very happy to unload some of their used books on you for a mutually agreeable price.

You will have to figure out your own study style. People will swear up and down that you only need 3 books for school or that you MUST have a certain book for a certain class. I'll tell you right now, that what works for some will not work for others. If you're not sure what your study style is, wait to get your books until just before or right at the beginning of a particular course.

Feel free to message me if you have any questions about school, professors, courses, being married in med school, being pregnant in med school, raising kids while in med school, activities (I will give you a big, fanatical, enthusiastic, hyped up endorsement :D of the HRC - the student run health clinic), etc. The only things I really can't offer much advice on is where to find a place to stay, and St. Louis nightlife (read the last sentence and you'll figure out why). :laugh: