***Official Saint Louis University (SLU) School of Medicine Class of 2013***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

paperclip

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
so excited to have been accepted on 11/4!

just wanted to say hello to everyone who might be my classmates next year! i know it's still early so i would love to use this thread to discuss our thoughts as having SLU as an option.

Members don't see this ad.

so excited to have been accepted on 11/4!

just wanted to say hello to everyone who might be my classmates next year! i know it's still early so i would love to use this thread to discuss our thoughts as having SLU as an option.

Congrats, but this should really be in the Allo thread, not pre-allo. I am not a mod, so I cannot move it...:(

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats!! I'm excited too! So far slu has been my first and only acceptance. I go to slu undergrad so I'm a little ready for a change of scenery but slu's a great school and it's great to have an acceptance. any other thoughts?

i remember enjoying my interview day, but to be honest can't remember too many specifics and didn't take the greatest notes when i got back home about what i learned.

for any current students at SLU, can you share your thoughts on the school? why you chose it, things you love about it, things you don't like?

I'm excited to be accepted also! Congratulations everyone! When I was at the interview day, I did not get much of a sense of where the students live. Does anyone have any input on that?

Glad to be Accepted to Slu! Childrens Hospital was Amazing!

I'm excited to be accepted also! Congratulations everyone! When I was at the interview day, I did not get much of a sense of where the students live. Does anyone have any input on that?

I go to slu undergrad and am from st. louis. There are some really nice new renovated lofts very close to the med school (a bit pricey though). There are some other really nice and less expensive areas that students live in the are a short drive away, like the central west end. PM me if you have any specific questions!

Congrats to you guys. I am MS1, if you guys have questions feel free to shoot me a line.

Congrats everyone! I had a regional interview last week, and am exceptionally psyched about the program... I am interviewing on the east coast at the end of January, and I was hoping to make a stop in St. Louis on the way back to CA. I'm looking for a current SLU student to show me around :D. I will be coming in on 1/28, and leaving the following night. If any current students out there are willing to spend some of your day with me on 1/29, I would be very grateful!

To the rest of you, CONGRATULATIONS!!! I hope to join the ranks soon as your fellow classmate...... :smuggrin:

So semi-good news, I got on the waiting list. Does anyone here know if they rank their list and how much they usually take from their waiting list. Also if I were to call them and ask about it would that just annoy them or should I go for it?

Thanks and congrats for everyone that got in, hopefully Ill be sitting next to you in the fall

for any current students at SLU, can you share your thoughts on the school? why you chose it, things you love about it, things you don't like?

Current MS-1 here. My opinion:

Pro's:
- block scheduling system (only two classes at any given time, and with the hard classes such as Anatomy and Neuroanatomy, only one class at a time)
- lectures end by noon and, except for a few days when you have mandatory afternoon small group sessions, you have the rest of the day to do what you want, be it study, work out, waste time, etc. (except during Anatomy, when the afternoon is for dissection). This is contrast to some med schools that work in undergrad-format, with four or five classes per semester, all at the same time (you will be very grateful to have Anatomy over with by October, whereas other schools will have it the entire semester)
- most lectures are recorded, if not by the school itself, then by some friendly classmate who is nice enough to share his recordings with the class (I don't think I've attended a single class in person all semester, and ever since Anatomy ended in October, I can probably count all the times I attended lecture on my two hands)
- very friendly and helpful faculty
- very cooperative environment among students (this will be the case even moreso with your incoming class, as SLU is switching to Pass/Fail next year for the preclinical years), as opposed to some schools out there where the atmosphere is cut-throat
- located in a city with four different seasons (as opposed to only 2 seasons if you're from way down south or way up north). I finally got to see snow for the first time in a very long time.
- nice looking campus (both undergrad and med center), at least during spring time when all the greenery is alive and well. in winter it looks kind of dull.
- the fact that you're part of a university and not just a stand-alone med center has its various perks (Bill Nye the Science Guy just came to the undergrad campus the other day to speak)
- Father Baker's office (this is a Jesuit institution) has free candy and occasionally food for students. We just drop by, pick stuff up, eat, chat, leave. And btw there is no proselytizing or preaching at all. In fact, everyone is encouraged to pursue their own personal faiths.
- this school's top priority is clearly education (whereas other med school's top priorities might be research or something else). The faculty frequently have "town hall meetings" and Q&A sessions where they discuss issues with students and ask for feedback and constantly adjust the system to meet our needs. There are online surveys for getting student feedback after every course, and students are invited to participate in course evaluation meetings where they share their feedback in person.

Con's:
- Cost of attendance (you probably could've guessed this one on your own). The tuition is projected to be about $43,000 next year. Factor in the typical amount of living expenses and you're looking at about $66K per year. For those on a military scholarship or MD/PhD program or some other setup where the cost is covered or shared with others, this isn't really an issue.
- downtown St. Louis is one of the crime capitals of the nation (if you confine yourself to campus, this isn't that big of an issue. It is well known that there are certain places around the edges of campus that you don't go past....)

Hope that helps you make your decisions. I myself am perfectly happy with my educational experience here.

Members don't see this ad :)
So semi-good news, I got on the waiting list. Does anyone here know if they rank their list and how much they usually take from their waiting list. Also if I were to call them and ask about it would that just annoy them or should I go for it?

Thanks and congrats for everyone that got in, hopefully Ill be sitting next to you in the fall

When did you interview? I interviewed a while back and I am trying to figure out when I can expect to hear back!

When did you interview? I interviewed a while back and I am trying to figure out when I can expect to hear back!

I heard exactly one month after I interviewed. But that was earlier in the season when they were maybe a little less busy. Hope that helps. Good luck!

Just got my acceptance in the last few weeks and I'm really excited!! Can't wait for classes to start up in August :)

Congratulations to everyone who has been excepted, SLU does take a decent amount of people off the waitlist so there is hope to still get in off the waitlist. If anyone has specific questions about SLU you can message me. I am a first year.

I interviewed at SLU late January and still have not heard back from them. I liked the school and the faculty-student ratio seems good. Also, the medical students we met seemed nice and happy with their choice. Anyhow, anyone who reads these threads, how long did it take for them to get back to you, and how is living in Saint Louis safety-wise? Anything else you'd like to add would be welcome...

Thanks!

I interviewed at SLU late January and still have not heard back from them. I liked the school and the faculty-student ratio seems good. Also, the medical students we met seemed nice and happy with their choice. Anyhow, anyone who reads these threads, how long did it take for them to get back to you, and how is living in Saint Louis safety-wise? Anything else you'd like to add would be welcome...

Thanks!

Hi, Dali,

I just got accepted on 3-18 and interviewed 2-24. I'm struggling with the fact that I will likely withdraw, though, because I was accepted at my state school and it would be FAR cheaper. I'm pretty disappointed - I was very impressed with SLU and would love to attend. :(

Good luck to you!

Hi, Dali,

I just got accepted on 3-18 and interviewed 2-24. I'm struggling with the fact that I will likely withdraw, though, because I was accepted at my state school and it would be FAR cheaper. I'm pretty disappointed - I was very impressed with SLU and would love to attend. :(

Good luck to you!

Brooother,
Thanks for the info and congratulations on your acceptance!! I concur regarding Saint Louis- it was my first interview and I was very impressed with the school-- also my interviewer was really considerate and tried his best to put me at ease. I've had 4 since then and have already heard back from some of them. They must be backed up or my app was put on hold. As for withdrawing, does your state school have the reputation that SLU does? Med school is for the rest of your life... but being in debt is no picnic... tough choices-

good luck with your decision ; )

thanks so much OnlyLiveOnce for your post! I've been accepted to a few schools and I've been struggling with my decision of where to go to. Its down to a cheaper in-state school or St. louis....I love the community feel, curriculum and general atmosphere at st. louis, but it is sooo expensive. lol, hopefully my financial aid package will help me decide soon. Thanks again for your advice!

Hey, congrats to all. I'm looking for a male roomate to share a preferably 2/2 starting June 1! I would like to live somewhere near a MetroLink station, or either of our schools.

Last edited:
Today, I declined my acceptance :( It was incredibly difficult, but I think it's the right thing to do financially - I instead will attend my state school (which, I think, is a respectable school). Anyway, goodbye you all, and enjoy SLU!

I am happy to hear all of the enthusiasm for SLU! I was admitted in February, and feel SO fortunate to have a place in the program. It would be helpful to learn more about the living options from current students. Perhaps, you could indicate some popular areas for residence, and give a brief description, e.g., distance from school, type of environment (suburban, downtown, midtown, etc), and relative expense. Also, is there a specific source you recommend for searching properties? Much obliged.. Any suggestions would help. To all still waiting to hear back, or currently waitlisted, I hope that your efforts are rewarded!

New member of SDN as of today, and new member of the SLU Medicine class of 2013 as of Friday! I look forward to meeting everyone soon... Does anyone know if there is a second look weekend?

I am happy to hear all of the enthusiasm for SLU! I was admitted in February, and feel SO fortunate to have a place in the program. It would be helpful to learn more about the living options from current students. Perhaps, you could indicate some popular areas for residence, and give a brief description, e.g., distance from school, type of environment (suburban, downtown, midtown, etc), and relative expense. Also, is there a specific source you recommend for searching properties? Much obliged.. Any suggestions would help. To all still waiting to hear back, or currently waitlisted, I hope that your efforts are rewarded!

Hi edub, I'm really excited to be accepted too, and I'll almost definitely be joining you in the fall! Have you checked out the housing page? Here's a link: http://medschool.slu.edu/housing/

I've found it to be really helpful so far, with lots of info from current/past students. I probably won't go down to look for apts until May, but it's nice to plan ahead. It looks like there's plenty of housing on medical row or in midtown, within walking distance. Otherwise it looks like lots of students live in the central west end... Anyway, check out the housing page - there's a link to helpful neighborhood maps under the "getting to know St. Louis" section.

thanks so much OnlyLiveOnce for your post! I've been accepted to a few schools and I've been struggling with my decision of where to go to. Its down to a cheaper in-state school or St. louis....I love the community feel, curriculum and general atmosphere at st. louis, but it is sooo expensive. lol, hopefully my financial aid package will help me decide soon. Thanks again for your advice!

No problem.

Regarding financial aid, just as a heads up, I believe the max amount of scholarship that SLU gives per student is $10,000 (so at most you could have about 1/4 of your tuition chopped off). And that's the max, not average.

It really is a tough decision to make. It wasn't much of a decision for me, since SLU was my only acceptance, but I remember constantly contemplating what a hard and agonizing decision it would've been for me if I had received another acceptance to a cheaper school.

edit

Last edited:
Thanks Rebs, I'll check that out! I too am hoping to make it out there in May.

As for the second look weekend, I don't think SLU has one. The admissions office would be the best source for this, but I posed the question to the financial aid office last week since I already had them on the phone, and the lady I spoke to said that she did not think that there was a second look weekend. She suggested contacting the admissions office and setting up a personal tour.

I interviewed regionally, so I didn't even get the preliminary tour. I found some current students through this site though, and arranged a visit. It was great! I stayed with an MII, and sat in on an MI lecture, and toured the clinical facilities with a first year. You might consider this approach too. A self generated visit may afford a more genuine experience. GL!

If any of you are married with kids and are looking for a place to live, there are some great options near SLU in the Tower Grove Park Area, in Reavis Gardens, and in Kirkwood. I live in Kirkwood in a complex called Stonecrest. 10 other students and their families also live here, and it's about a 20 min. drive. The units are 2-4 bedroom townhomes with W/D hook-ups. If you want information on this, or other options in Reavis Gardens, or the Tower Grove area, you can PM me.

I know it's pretty early, but has anybody received thier financial aid package after doing the FAFSA? Does SLU have its own forms that you need to fill out before they put together a package for you? Anybody know?

I spoke with the people in the Fin Aid office the other day, and they directed me to the Verification Worksheet on their website. It didn't take long to fill out, but you do need to have your (and maybe your parent's) tax returns.

I just looked at my financial aid package online.

I do believe I died a little inside.

Do they email you when it is ready or is there a specific site I should be looking at?

No, I just checked through the online system they e-mailed us information for about a month ago. If you've set up your e-mail and everything, you should be able to log-in through the myslu website.

No, I just checked through the online system they e-mailed us information for about a month ago. If you've set up your e-mail and everything, you should be able to log-in through the myslu website.

Ah, found it...jeeeeeeez, I guess you gotta pay to play, right?

2,100sqft. condo in the Central West End. That's where a lot of the medical students live. The condo has total 3 bedrooms. Total 2 bathrooms in the condo. Huge living room, and dining room and a nice kitchen. Trash chute inside apartment. Laundry is 1 floor down and is pretty cheap compared to other apartments. Internet is high speed and only a total of $25 per month (the provider claims its T1, but I'll be honest it more like a regular high speed AT&T or comcast or charter connection with a really low price. Yes, it is really good for streaming youtube and stuff ;) and all your fav TV shows online). Many places for parking really close by.

Rent itself is only $500 per month. Utilities like electricity and stuff add up to maximum $75 per month, meaning your share of it. The $75 was during peak winter when we kept the heat on all the time. During summer, utilities are very cheap, around 15-20$. Parking may be $50-$60 per month depending on where you get parking. But since we get 1 free parking space, we probably split that too making it only $20 for parking. So you are looking at a place for $540-600 a month depending on how much we use electricity. Just remember you are getting a 2,100sqft apt. You will not find another deal like this in Central West End. Most places in this area are smaller and cost above $600 per month.

Currently my brother and I are living in this apartment. We both go to SLU medical school and are currently in 2nd year.
Email me at [email protected] if you want more information about this apartment.

Last edited:
Accepted earlier today... the housing search begins. Anyone have suggestions for a single guy looking for a nice downtown studio or one bedroom (~$800/mo.)? Thanks.

What's up with you guys? This thread is dead as ****.

Housing wise, it seems like Central-West is the go to neighborhood for SLU med people. Anybody have suggestions as to where to look there? I'm looking for 1 bedroom/studio with a nice fitness center (important) and quiet. Price is not a huge factor.

Here's something about books i messaged to someone else who had questions. i have been getting a lot of book questions so here it is:

Let me first say that books at the bookstore are really really over priced. You only need... maybe 2-3 books TOTAL your first year at medical school.

you need only one atlas. Although coopdawg 2009 is gonna recommend you get grey's anatomy book. dont. Get netter's. That is the ONLY anatomy book you need. I know you'll feel the pressure of being in medical school and you might even panic, but trust me, you won't have time to look at multiple references.

The second, and last set of books you need is the microbiology/immunology books. I dont know which set your class is gonna use because my class gave the new set a bad review. But if it's like ours youll be using the lippincott immunology and lippincott microbio book. If not, youll get the immunology made ridiculously easy (tahts the title) and lippincott microbio book.

Those are literally the books you need to do well in medical school, the rest is the syllabi you will be receiving at the beginning of every class. I only bought those books and I did very well .

Lastly, people do annotate first aid, but it is rare and not needed. I actually don't know anyone in our class that did it, but they all said they would (we're lazy). Second years recommended doing it, but they also said realistically speaking, you dont want to because youre gonna burn out by studying so much.

Remember, med school is a marathon, not a sprint.

i'm looking for a place in cwe. anybody looking to share a 2br 2ba apartment?

So, I got into slu two weeks ago and still have NO IDEA what to do about financial aid. I've submitted all my information and my fafsa and stuff, but I haven't received any award letter. Is anyone else in a similar situation?

i got accepted a few days ago too and am concerned about housing and financial aid tooo! im planning on calling about the aid. but does anyone need a female roommate? :)

I am a fellow 2013 classmate who has never used SDN until now.

I am interested in finding a roommate for an apt I applied for in Forest Park apt. complex which is in the Shresbery area south of the SLU SOM.

If anyone is interested in a male roommate who does very well in the kitchen, please let me know! I can be reached best at the email address attached to this account.

I am a 24yo student who completed my PharmD this spring before attending SLU FYI. I had the same roommate for the entirety of my undergraduate years. I am also on the housing exchange website.

hey anyone know if we need a special type of laptop or anything? im thinking about buying a $600 lenovo laptop...

Good question... I have this 4 year old toshiba (that works aite), do I need a new one?