Official Rank List Help Thread 2010-2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I would strongly disagree with putting SLU last if you're thinking purely about getting a GI fellowship. They have their own program and give strong preference to their own, whereas some of the other programs on your list are competitive enough that they might pick an outsider over you. I interviewed there, and the PD said they match something like 95% into their desired fellowship. It obviously isn't the best place if want to go to a big name GI program, but it would virtually guarantee you a GI match.

*shrug*

I call em the way I see em, and it's been my opinion that it's best to match as high up the academic food chain as possible when going for competitive fellowship, because it increases your chances of matching at your home program as well as other programs. SLU is a fine program - just because it was at the bottom of that list, doesn't make it a bad program.

Members don't see this ad.

Once again...you screwed it up. I thought we agreed, Texas sucks.

But seriously...what he said...except I'd put Chicago first because I can't stand Texas. If UTSW were in any state other than Texas (or Florida), it would be a hard program to top.

Even if they'd just move it to Houston...that's not asking so much is it :D

In terms of reputation, is Northwestern significantly stronger or is the difference too small to even play a factor in my decision? I want to pursue a heme-onc fellowship and while I would prefer to live in SD, I also want to make sure I secure a heme-onc fellowship and would definitely go to Northwestern if it meant I'd have more opportunities in the future.
I'm also somewhat concerned about the previous malignant reputation of UCSD and the quirkiness of the program director.

Pretty equivalent. Difference in perception between these 2 places is mostly regional.

Members don't see this ad :)
In terms of reputation, is Northwestern significantly stronger or is the difference too small to even play a factor in my decision? I want to pursue a heme-onc fellowship and while I would prefer to live in SD, I also want to make sure I secure a heme-onc fellowship and would definitely go to Northwestern if it meant I'd have more opportunities in the future.
I'm also somewhat concerned about the previous malignant reputation of UCSD and the quirkiness of the program director.

I was actually trying to figure out the relative ranks of these two places on my list as well. I ended up deciding that I would rather live in SD than Chicago. Chicago is amazing but to be honest, the winters are just too cold for me and SD has way more in terms of outdoor activity, attractive young people, great Mexican food, all things I value at this point in my life.

I was actually trying to figure out the relative ranks of these two places on my list as well. I ended up deciding that I would rather live in SD than Chicago. Chicago is amazing but to be honest, the winters are just too cold for me and SD has way more in terms of outdoor activity, attractive young people, great Mexican food, all things I value at this point in my life.

The baja fish tacos alone . . . plus I PROMISE the SD girls are much, much, much better ;)

If you'd rather live there, just stay in SD for fellowship and enjoy California.

There really isn't such a huge difference between all of these programs.

:D

I'm an average candidate from a middle of the road US med school with average Step 1 and 2 scores. I'd appreciate some help ranking the following programs. My selection criteria in order of preference are nice location >>> quality of training > fellowship opportunities > resident lifestyle > possibility of being hired in academics in the future

(alphabetical order)
Arizona
Cincinnati
Indiana
Scripps Mercy
SLU
Wake Forest
Wisconsin
USF

*shrug*

I call em the way I see em

No problem -- that's what this thread is all about. Obviously, different people will have different preferences.

The baja fish tacos alone . . . plus I PROMISE the SD girls are much, much, much better ;)

...and I agree with you about the SD girls. :cool:

I'm an average candidate from a middle of the road US med school with average Step 1 and 2 scores. I'd appreciate some help ranking the following programs. My selection criteria in order of preference are nice location >>> quality of training > fellowship opportunities > resident lifestyle > possibility of being hired in academics in the future

(alphabetical order)
Arizona
Cincinnati
Indiana
Scripps Mercy
SLU
Wake Forest
Wisconsin
USF

Definte "nice location" because San Diego and Tampa are pretty damn nice places to live . . . but I'm loathe to rank those places at the top UNLESS I get a better definition of "nice location"

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey ! this is my list, please any help will be great.

Einstein/Jacobi Med Ctr-NY
Einstein/Beth Israel Med Ctr-NY
Danbury Hospital-CT
Cook County-Stroger Hospital-IL
Forest Hills Hosp-NSLIJ Hlth Sys-NY
Sound Shore Med Ctr-NY
St Mary Med Ctr-Long Beach-CA
Flushing Hospital Med Ctr-NY
Lincoln Medical Ctr-NY

I'm really looking for to hear about you guys.

for what field??

Danbury Hospital-CT
Sound Shore Med Ctr-NY
Lincoln Medical Ctr-NY

Hi, I would appreciate help in ranking the following programs. I'm interested in Heme/Onc or GI and perhaps a career in academics. Most important are strong clinical training and fellowship placements. Location is less important but I do prefer warm weather to cold. Thanks!

Vanderbilt
UNC-Chapel Hill
Mayo-Rochester
UTSW
Baylor
Emory
UC Davis
Cedars-Sinai
UT Houston

Hi, I would appreciate help in ranking the following programs. I'm interested in Heme/Onc or GI and perhaps a career in academics. Most important are strong clinical training and fellowship placements. Location is less important but I do prefer warm weather to cold. Thanks!

Vanderbilt
UNC-Chapel Hill
Mayo-Rochester
UTSW
Baylor
Emory
UC Davis
Cedars-Sinai
UT Houston

Vandy
UTSW
Mayo
UNC = Emory
Baylor
Davis
Cedars = UT Houston

Hello everyone, I am a foreign medical grad and have applied for Categorical Internal Medicine. Making ROL is getting nerve wracking especially when you have same tier programs!

I have ranked the following programs and would like to know how other think about the ranking. I am not sure about what fellowship I want, although I am inclined towards Cardiology and Nephrology. Thank you and I am sorry for this long list of mine. I would appreciate your time!

1. UAB
2. University of Minnesota
3. UMass-worcester
4. University of Connecticut, farmington
5. University of Arkansas, Little Rock
6. University of Oklahoma, Oklahoma city
7. University of Kansas, Kansas City
8. St. Louis University, St. Louis
9. Medical College of Georgia, Augusta
10. SUNY-Buffalo
11. Henry Ford Hospital, Detroit
12. St. Lukes Roosevelt Hospital, Manhattan
13. UMDNJ-RWJ/Cooper, Camden
14. Allegheny General hospital, Pittsburgh

American grad here. Want a future in GI. What does everyone think about these choices. Thank you for the help!

U of Arizona
U of New mexico
UT at San Antonio

I think this looks fine.

Hello everyone, I am a foreign medical grad and have applied for Categorical Internal Medicine. Making ROL is getting nerve wracking especially when you have same tier programs!

I have ranked the following programs and would like to know how other think about the ranking. I am not sure about what fellowship I want, although I am inclined towards Cardiology and Nephrology. Thank you and I am sorry for this long list of mine. I would appreciate your time!

1. UAB
2. University of Minnesota
3. UMass-worcester
4. University of Connecticut, farmington
5. University of Arkansas, Little Rock
6. University of Oklahoma, Oklahoma city
7. University of Kansas, Kansas City
8. St. Louis University, St. Louis
9. Medical College of Georgia, Augusta
10. SUNY-Buffalo
11. Henry Ford Hospital, Detroit
12. St. Lukes Roosevelt Hospital, Manhattan
13. UMDNJ-RWJ/Cooper, Camden
14. Allegheny General hospital, Pittsburgh

American grad here. Want a future in GI. What does everyone think about these choices. Thank you for the help!

U of Arizona
U of New mexico
UT at San Antonio

I think AZ = SA, ask yourself if you like Tucson or San Antone better.

NM is a program I don't really know much about but academically speaking it's relatively low on the academic food chain.

Danbury Hospital-CT
Sound Shore Med Ctr-NY
Lincoln Medical Ctr-NY

What are your thoughts on these programs? If you could post some of your pros & cons, what you are looking for in a program, as well as your preliminary guess at a rank order, then I think you would probably get more responses. Otherwise people are apt to think you are simply a freeloader who newly registers for the site, asks a lot of questions, but doesn't post any feedback for others in return.

-AT.

Thanks. really appreciate it. I am having trouble between 7-12..I don't know if they are ranked in a proper manner. I have sticked to University prog > Community Prog. However, St Lukes Roosevelt and Henry Ford have very good fellowship placements in comparison to MCG and KU. Any thoughts on ranks 7-12..

I think this looks fine.

Thanks. really appreciate it. I am having trouble between 7-12..I don't know if they are ranked in a proper manner. I have sticked to University prog > Community Prog. However, St Lukes Roosevelt and Henry Ford have very good fellowship placements in comparison to MCG and KU. Any thoughts on ranks 7-12..

Henry Ford is actually a pretty academic place. You could easily move it up your list to where KU sits and I wouldn't have much problem with it.

The thing to remember about KU is that people who go there tend to go there because they wanted to, and for the same reason tend to stay there or in the area. You can't make assumptions about a match list simply because no one went to Duke or MGH for fellowship.

Undetermined fellowship plans...I have my thoughts but kind of stuck between academic reputation and location as important factors for me..(meaning probably prefer a larger city, but expense/COL also a factor).

In no particular order:
Pitt
Wake Forest
UIC
Hopkins-Bayview
GWU
Kaiser Oakland
Mt. Sinai NYC
USF
U of Arizona

How about SLU, MCG, and SUNY-buffalo? does SLU or SUNY Buffalo needs to go up?

Henry Ford is actually a pretty academic place. You could easily move it up your list to where KU sits and I wouldn't have much problem with it.

The thing to remember about KU is that people who go there tend to go there because they wanted to, and for the same reason tend to stay there or in the area. You can't make assumptions about a match list simply because no one went to Duke or MGH for fellowship.

Danbury Hospital-CT
Sound Shore Med Ctr-NY
Lincoln Medical Ctr-NY

A lot of it kind of depends on what you are looking for, where you are looking to be, what would be big negatives/positives in a program in your mind, etc. I think a lot of folks are going to differ on what's "better"/"worse" in terms of "rank", but there might be an easy ranking of "good fit" vs "not so good fit" for you personally. If you really want to be in a certain geography, we could certainly put the other locations lower on the list (I'm guessing your goal is NYC, so perhaps the CA, CT, IL places should be lower down). If you consider workload a factor, there are some on here that are probably more intense than others. If your goal is a certain subspecialty/fellowship, there might be more opportunities to network with big names in those subspecialties at certain places than others. And so on. But a LOT of it has to come from your impression of the residents/program when you interviewed, and what you can glean from residents you know at those programs and what their thoughts are. The folks in the trenches can tell you if your program is good/malignant, and whether they would have picked their program again over another on your list. Does you no good to ask for a "ranking" from a group of folks you don't know over the internet.

I need some help with my rank list. I am an US-IMG. For me location is not very important. I am considering doing a competitive fellowship. My list (not in any order): 1. UConn 2. SUNY Stonybrook 3. SUNY Downstate 4. Wintrop 5. Lenox Hill 6. Jacobi 7. North Shore LIJ 8. UMDNJ-Newark 9. Drexel 10.Pitts 11. Penn State

Would love any input from gutonc, jdh, and anyone else...

I'd like to return to Chicago for residency due mostly to family issues (job, etc.) and was having a difficult time between ranking Loyola/UIC/Rush and Baylor Houston. I'm not sure what I want in terms of fellowships but possibly Hem/Onc vs Pulm/CC. Is Baylor a good enough program that I should highly consider ranking above these Chicago programs? If it was just between the Chicago programs, how would you rank them?

I need some help with my rank list. I am an US-IMG. For me location is not very important. I am considering doing a competitive fellowship. My list (not in any order): 1. UConn 2. SUNY Stonybrook 3. SUNY Downstate 4. Wintrop 5. Lenox Hill 6. Jacobi 7. North Shore LIJ 8. UMDNJ-Newark 9. Drexel 10.Pitts 11. Penn State

1. stonybrook
2. penn state or drexel
3. downstate
4. umdnj-newark
5. uconn
6. lenox hill if you want cards or jacobi
7. winthrop or nslij

if its UPMC presbyterian then it should be no. 1..mercy/shadyside/mckeesport after uconn

It's obvious that I want to stay in California :p
Interested in onc

ucsd
cedars
uci
usc
ucsd
harbor
olive view
santa clara valley
kaiser la
kaiser sf
uc davis
huntington
loma linda
scripps green
white memorial

thx!!!

nail biting time!

I'll be back later this afternoon to give my opinion to the peeps . . . someone needs a nap because someone is cranky!

I'm doing a new iteration of a rank list.

Priorities:

1) Work within the Northeast, preferably within greater New York
2) Setting myself for a Northeastern fellowship in GI.
3) Willing to compromise on Geography, up to a point.

For example, as much as I would like to be in New York, you'd have a hard time convincing me to go to Robert Wood over UT-Southwestern, a solid academic program with recognition in the world of internal medicine (I'll ignore the fact that no lay person outside of the South has heard of it :D ). Dallas is a large city, and UTSW would make it easier for me to reach my 2nd goal of fellowship in the Northeast by sacrificing the first goal. By the same token, I'm not sure I could muster the courage to go to Cleveland for Case Western over being near New York and going to Robert Wood.

In geographic order:

(1) BU
(2) Brown
(3) Rochester - Strong Memorial
(4) Einstein-Montefiore
(5) NYU
(6) North Shore - LIJ
(7) UMDNJ - Robert Wood
(8) Maryland
(9) Miami - Jackson Memorial
(10) Case Western - University Hospitals
(11) UChicago
(12) UT-Southwestern

Thanks!

PS: Help for what is likely the middle chunk of the list would be even more greately appreciated:
-BU
-Brown
-North Shore - LIJ
-Maryland
-Miami

Last edited:

I'd like to return to Chicago for residency due mostly to family issues (job, etc.) and was having a difficult time between ranking Loyola/UIC/Rush and Baylor Houston. I'm not sure what I want in terms of fellowships but possibly Hem/Onc vs Pulm/CC. Is Baylor a good enough program that I should highly consider ranking above these Chicago programs? If it was just between the Chicago programs, how would you rank them?

UIC > Rush > Loyola

Baylor is a higher esteemed academic program than any of the Chicago one's you have listed . . . but you've got to be happy, and you can still easily find fellowships in both heme/onc or pulm/cc from any of the Chicago programs listed.

I'm a big Loyola fan, which is not secret on this board, but I don't know that it's particularly standout vs UIC or Rush, and think all of those programs are really about equal as far as academic rep is concerned. If it were me, I'd probably go: Loyola > Rush > UIC but that more for preference of hospital, location, and residency in general.

I'd probably SLU > MCG > SUNY Buf . . . keep 'em how you liked them

Thanks. I would keep it like

SLU (better fellowship placements than the rest two)
SUNY-buffalo (just coz of H1 visa)
MCG (although I found camaraderie at its best here)

Thank you for all the help. Though, really struggling with this one now. (like i stated previously: US grad, want GI, no geo preference)

UT San Antonio
Cleveland Clinic
Mayo

Should I go University program > Non-University or take into account that the past matches for GI at Cleveland and Mayo are much much better than San Antonio?

Corrected Version:

Well, it's true that everybody has different opinions about the programs. I have my personal preferences but I am trying to be objective in my selections of programs I generally liked. I would like to get a good base and keeping open the possibility of doing a Fellowship is important to me. I like Internal Medicine and I will be happy working in this field, but I have never had the opportunity to do a specialty and why not do it now. I live in New York and I sincerely don't want to move (my wife works and we own a house here). So, based on that:

Jacobi and Beth Israel: (based on many forums and IV) are firm at #1, 2.

3. Danbury: (medium hospital 12 categorical), yale Univ. associated program, FS 60%. Risk not variety of cases.

4 or 5 ?: Cook county (large hospital, 35 categorical) community program, well known, FS 40% with diverse kind of FS as pathology, it sounds a lot of scut work ?

4 or 5?: Forest Hills/LIJ (medium size Hospital, 12 categorical), NSLIJ system, FS 30-40%, great number of pathologies, not well known, (MD/Cardio friend believes cook county before FH/LIJ as it is better for FS).

6 or 7?: St Mary's, Long Beach, CA (medium sized Hospital, 12 categorical), UCLA related system (3rd yr can be done at UCLA Harbor), FS 30%, also variety of pathologies, not electronic system :-( .

6 or 7?: Sound Shore, Westchester, NY (medium sized hospital) , FS 30 %, Pass rated 84% board system

All the programs were good in general , St Mary's having no electronic record is problematic, but honestly, even the best hospitals have issues: no or ineffecient electronic system, half of time calling and doing discharge work, helping move the patients, drawing blood (scutwork,) ......

Any suggestions or opinions anyone has would be welcome before I certify my list...

Thanks

Open-minded regarding which subspecialty I would like to seek. This is most likely the order in which I will certify (just thought it would be fun to hear your thoughts):

U. Michigan
Vanderbilt
U. Pittsburg
Case Western UH
U. Iowa
U. Wisconsin

Thanks.

It's obvious that I want to stay in California :p
Interested in onc

ucsd
cedars
uci
usc
ucsd
harbor
olive view
santa clara valley
kaiser la
kaiser sf
uc davis
huntington
loma linda
scripps green
white memorial

thx!!!

UCSD
UCDavis = UCI = USC = Harbor = Loma Linda
Cedars
Olive View
Scripps Green = SCV
Huntington = White Memorial

Don't know how bad you want to stay in Lala land though

Thank you for all the help. Though, really struggling with this one now. (like i stated previously: US grad, want GI, no geo preference)

UT San Antonio
Cleveland Clinic
Mayo

Should I go University program > Non-University or take into account that the past matches for GI at Cleveland and Mayo are much much better than San Antonio?

As long as you have no geographic preferences . . .

Mayo >> CCF = San Antonio

Though . . . CCF does have the better GI match by numbers

Open-minded regarding which subspecialty I would like to seek. This is most likely the order in which I will certify (just thought it would be fun to hear your thoughts):

U. Michigan
Vanderbilt
U. Pittsburg
Case Western UH
U. Iowa
U. Wisconsin

Thanks.

I don't see any glaring problems . . . I'm a little fascinated that Wisconsin is so low on your list, but you've got to go with your gut.

My PM box got all clustered and I deleted a bunch of PMs and may have accidentally deleted some messages I have not responded to yet. If anyone is still waiting to hear a response from me and I have not yet, please resend. I'm sorry.

<---- PM box *****

re-posting from a separate thread....
Hi, saw a thread on Tufts vs Brown. Wondering what people think about Tufts vs UMASS in general and also in terms of matching in GI?

Thanks and good luck

re-posting from a separate thread....
Hi, saw a thread on Tufts vs Brown. Wondering what people think about Tufts vs UMASS in general and also in terms of matching in GI?

Thanks and good luck

I'm not as familiar with UMass or Tufts GI match, but I get the sense that Tufts is generally better well regarded academically - at least they are better represented at national/internation meetings I've been too. I didn't interview at either one as I avoid the NE for residency and fellowship - though I did run into a fellow during interviews last year who did residency at UMass and she didn't seem to like it (that's ONE person and it's completely gossip). We'll see if someone else chimes in.

In no particular order - some geographical bias in warm weather - looking to keep fellowship options open for endo, nephrology or P/CCM:

U of Illinois - Chicago
U of Louisville
U of Kentucky
U of Iowa
U of Missouri
U of Arizona
U of Florida
U of SF - Tampa
U of NM - Albuquerque
Kaiser SF
Kaiser LA
Kaiser Oakland