This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey everyone! I am looking to apply for Fall 2018 start semester. I am wanting to get my application in early in the cycle. I have already graduated so I have no classes left to take but I have not taken the MCAT, will schools possibly interview me without an MCAT or do you have to have it done before.

Also if placed do interview without an MCAT, will they offer conditional acceptance contingent on a certain MCAT score or do they just wait until your scores are in. Any insights will be appreciated. Thanks!
Yes, you can interview at most schools without an MCAT score. Most will put you on a post interview hold, however some will also do conditional acceptances.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes, you can interview at most schools without an MCAT score. Most will put you on a post interview hold, however some will also do conditional acceptances.
Thank you for the help! A bit of relief knowing that I don't have to wait until MCAT scores are released.

Hello everyone!
Finally I got my MCAT scores back, and will complete the application soon for this cycle.
Here are my scores
cGPA- 3.1
sGPA- 2.8
MCAT- 489
Shadow hours- 40 hours
Volunteering- 1 year of mission trip, 3 years of church, medical, and community
Work Experience- 3 years at a medical clinic as receptionist, biller, and medical assistant
1 Strong letter of recommendation from podiatrist, and 2 letters of recommendation from managers and supervisor due to being out of school for 3 years

What are my chances for this cycle?
Thanks everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone!
Finally I got my MCAT scores back, and will complete the application soon for this cycle.
Here are my scores
cGPA- 3.1
sGPA- 2.8
MCAT- 489
Shadow hours- 40 hours
Work Experience- 3 years at a medical clinic as receptionist, biller, and medical assistant
1 Strong letter of recommendation from podiatrist, and 2 letters of recommendation from managers and supervisor due to being out of school for 3 years

Thanks everyone!

Your mcat score is low. You will be screened out from certain schools with that. My advice is to retake the mcat and aim for around 495+ (Always aim for the highest score you can get though). With a higher mcat score, it would balance out the somewhat low sgpa.

There are a few people that managed to get into schools with that mcat score on here but it's pretty rare.

There's an apparent low amount of applicants for this cycle so who knows what can happen ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Hello everyone!
Here are my scores
cGPA- 3.1
sGPA- 2.8
MCAT- 489
Shadow hours- 40 hours

Thanks everyone!

What skim25 said.

Even getting up to a 493 would probably net you invites.

Did you prepare at all or take it cold turkey? Was it a focus issue or too many things (School + Work) while prepping?

Hello everyone!
Here are my scores
cGPA- 3.1
sGPA- 2.8
MCAT- 489
Shadow hours- 40 hours

Thanks everyone!

I agree with what others have said, but definitely apply this year if you can afford it! Worst case scenario is you retake the MCAT and apply again. As long as you are set on podiatry as your career then you might as well try this year!

How many schools did you guys apply to. I may apply to 8 but is that overkill? Applying to 8 schools is about $500

How many schools did you guys apply to. I may apply to 8 but is that overkill? Applying to 8 schools is about $500

I applied to 8. It is probably overkill, but I just wanted to get in somewhere lol. so it was worth the money for me

I would only apply to schools where I felt comfortable with being at. Personally I couldn't do Midwestern so I didn't apply there (midwestern boy who loves the cold).

Does anyone know which schools will review your application without an MCAT score? Anyone from last cycle have success applying pre-MCAT? If so to where please. Thanks again!

I applied to all 9 because I wasn't sure where I wanted to go. Interviewed at 4.

Members don't see this ad :)
Greetings,

I was just curious if I can apply next year for the Fall 2019 class prior to completing Organic Chemistry I/II and MCAT or do I have to complete all the classes in order to apply? I want to plan everything ahead of time. If not, I can wait until 2019 to apply for 2020 class.

Kindly,
donttrip123

Greetings,

I was just curious if I can apply next year for the Fall 2019 class prior to completing Organic Chemistry I/II and MCAT or do I have to complete all the classes in order to apply? I want to plan everything ahead of time. If not, I can wait until 2019 to apply for 2020 class.

Kindly,
donttrip123

Some programs will not look at your app until you have your MCAT in.
Some programs will still offer interviews without your MCAT (pending stellar competitive GPA/ remarkable life story).
Some programs will may offer acceptances with requirement that you have MCAT turned in + degree.

It will vary. Contact the schools you are interested in.

I would suggest finishing your degree/all pre-reqs + MCAT before applying. There are advantages to applying early but I do not think you should do it with missing courses/MCAT.

Some programs will not look at your app until you have your MCAT in.
Some programs will still offer interviews without your MCAT (pending stellar competitive GPA/ remarkable life story).
Some programs will may offer acceptances with requirement that you have MCAT turned in + degree.

It will vary. Contact the schools you are interested in.

I would suggest finishing your degree/all pre-reqs + MCAT before applying. There are advantages to applying early but I do not think you should do it with missing courses/MCAT.

Weirdy,

Thank you for that information. I will wait to finish Ochem and take the MCAT then apply.

My stats are
Cgpa - 3.1
Sgpa- 2.9
Mcat- 483
Applied to Temple, western and Samuel
Was wondering if I should go on the interview that temple offered me before they had my mcat score?

Hey everyone. I am applying for Fall 2018 and am about to get started studying for the MCAT and am shooting to take it on the last date. September 9th. I was wondering if anyone had any study scheduling tips/strategies that helped them. I am thinking of getting at least 2 hours a day for roughly 3 months using a Kaplan course and taking practice tests during those 3 months. Is this strategy/timeline long enough? Enough study hours? What has best helped you?? Thanks!

I got a notification that my GPA was calculated by AACPMAS and was sent to schools. I'm already getting interviews but I don't even know what my calculated GPA is. The email said that it would take an hour at the longest for the AACPMAS calculated GPA to show up on my application, but I don't see it anywhere and it's been much longer than an hour? I looked through the "check status" page and I see nothing there. Am I missing something?

My stats are
Cgpa - 3.1
Sgpa- 2.9
Mcat- 483
Was wondering if I should go on the interview that temple offered me before they had my mcat score?

I'd contact them and ask if they were still interested in an interview now that your Mcat is posted. Just in case so you don't waste a trip.

When does application open for Fall 2018? Also can information be rolled over from year to year? I am wondering if it would be advantageous to start an application now and get transcripts sent in and have all that rolled over fresh when 2018 opens up. Thanks.

Guys, I also just realized that I didn't put my shadowing hours down in the experiences section, I hope that won't be a problem. I mentioned in my personal statement that I shadowed podiatrists... I can't believe I forgot to put that down.

When does application open for Fall 2018? Also can information be rolled over from year to year? I am wondering if it would be advantageous to start an application now and get transcripts sent in and have all that rolled over fresh when 2018 opens up. Thanks.

August 1st

Guys, I also just realized that I didn't put my shadowing hours down in the experiences section, I hope that won't be a problem. I mentioned in my personal statement that I shadowed podiatrists... I can't believe I forgot to put that down.

August 1st

They will ask during the interviews.

Don't worry.

My stats are
Cgpa - 3.1
Sgpa- 2.9
Mcat- 483

Go to the Temple interview and every other interview you get.

Prepare for a reapplication. If you can hit a 495+ with a compelling story, you will get invites.

No excuses on your MCAT. You can do it. Work hard.

Where does your newly calculated GPA show up on AACPMAS after they verify your transcripts and send your application to schools?

Edit: Figured it out. You have to download your application that was sent to each school. I thought it would show up next to my transcripts or something.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with what others have said, but definitely apply this year if you can afford it! Worst case scenario is you retake the MCAT and apply again. As long as you are set on podiatry as your career then you might as well try this year!

Thanks for the encouragement! I want to give it a go and apply this year. I emailed the schools, and most of the schools still have seats open. Do you know what schools I should apply to base on my stats?

I'm currently in the process of applying to podiatry school but haven't had the chance to shadow a podiatrist which I know doesn't look too good on my part but I've been away to a small school getting my master's degree and there weren't any podiatrists in the area. However, I scribed for a sports medicine doctor so we did see a lot of foot/ankle stuff; would that be ok? I'm in the process of trying to find a doctor to shadow :/

Also! Late to the cycle but do I have a shot for getting in? This is my estimation without grade replacement
cgpa: 3.0
sgpa: 3.1
master's: 3.6
Mcat: 495 (multiple attempts and this is my highest)

I'm currently in the process of applying to podiatry school but haven't had the chance to shadow a podiatrist which I know doesn't look too good on my part but I've been away to a small school getting my master's degree and there weren't any podiatrists in the area. However, I scribed for a sports medicine doctor so we did see a lot of foot/ankle stuff; would that be ok? I'm in the process of trying to find a doctor to shadow :/

Also! Late to the cycle but do I have a shot for getting in? This is my estimation without grade replacement

Your GPA and MCAT will get you into one or some of the schools for sure. But it is pretty important to shadow a podiatrist, not only to show the schools that you are committed to this profession since you know what it's all about and seen it firsthand, but to also show yourself that it's something you can do with your life. Although the sports medicine doctor handles ankle and feet, it's still a bit different than a podiatrist. He isn't clipping nails, and handling diabetic ulcers. Honestly Podiatry is a bit less glamour in my opinion and although a great profession, I think anyone applying owes it to themself to shadow at the very least one podiatrist.

With that being said, if you shadow a podiatrist and have a good interview you will definitely get in to one of the schools. Though this cycle might be hard since you shadowing and getting that letter of Rec might be tough with time constriants. Buuuuuut with all that being said, you could apply right now and get into one of the schools that still have seats which is still most of them and they might accept you without that letter or having shadowed a podiatrist simply because of low application numbers this year. So if you have the money to spend on applications and eventual interviews, then go for it.

You will get accepted for sure if you apply next cycle. You might be able to get everything in before the deadline, offered interviews, and get accepted. Some seats are still open, but it's going to be tough fitting everything, interviewing, and preparing before August. But, I think it's worth a shot if you have the funds.

Hey guys I have a couple of questions.

So I'll be interviewing at two schools in the middle of June. Based on the time frame, how hectic is it going to be if I get accepted somewhere and have to move to a different state between the middle of June to before Aug. 1st? I'm hoping that since it is late in the cycle that schools are a bit quicker in deciding to accept or reject a student. If I were to get accepted a few days after, I'd then have to make a deposit, then complete the background checks, then figure out the loan stuff and financial aid, and then find a place to live, and then actually move there before August 1st, then buy all of the books and supplies I need. All in 6 weeks. Is this possible?

So I'll be interviewing at two schools in the middle of June. Based on the time frame, how hectic is it going to be if I get accepted somewhere and have to move to a different state between the middle of June to before Aug. 1st? I'm hoping that since it is late in the cycle that schools are a bit quicker in deciding to accept or reject a student. If I were to get accepted a few days after, I'd then have to make a deposit, then complete the background checks, then figure out the loan stuff and financial aid, and then find a place to live, and then actually move there before August 1st, then buy all of the books and supplies I need. All in 6 weeks. Is this possible?

Possible sure, but it will feel a bit hectic. If you can find a place that has openings to live right away, and you like the place, that would honestly take off a lot on your shoulders. As long as you already have all your immunizations and stuff, the background check and financial aid stuff is all done online and could be done in a matter of hours. Easy and nothing to worry about if you already know you are getting loans and such and are familiar with fafsa and federal loans. Books and supplies I wouldn't worry about either until you start school and have your orientation. As far as I know, most schools you won't even need to buy much if any books at all.

Anyways long story short, the hardest and most hectic part is finding a place and moving so quickly. Everything else your school will probably guide you through and understand if something like immunizations need a little extension. If you want I'd say start contacting and researching places to stay now so you can be prepared to move as soon as possible.

I will be doing this as well, so you are not alone.

Possible sure, but it will feel a bit hectic. If you can find a place that has openings to live right away, and you like the place, that would honestly take off a lot on your shoulders. As long as you already have all your immunizations and stuff, the background check and financial aid stuff is all done online and could be done in a matter of hours. Easy and nothing to worry about if you already know you are getting loans and such and are familiar with fafsa and federal loans. Books and supplies I wouldn't worry about either until you start school and have your orientation. As far as I know, most schools you won't even need to buy much if any books at all.

Anyways long story short, the hardest and most hectic part is finding a place and moving so quickly. Everything else your school will probably guide you through and understand if something like immunizations need a little extension. If you want I'd say start contacting and researching places to stay now so you can be prepared to move as soon as possible.

That's really good advice. I should probably start looking for housing in case I get accepted so I can move quicker. Thanks

Western or CSPM is the goal.

3.00 ogpa, 2.77 sgpa. 493 mcat (will probably retake at the end of August) 100+ shadowing hours. 100+ volunteer hours. 3 letters of rec.

What are my chances? I know the class sizes are smaller so if I retake MCAT I probably wont be applying until late September/Early October, is this a problem or would it still be early enough?

You're fine. Kill the MCAT and explain what you'd do differently with your sGPA if given a second chance.

Thank you everyone for your input! I went ahead and submitted my app to two schools just incase (NYCPM and Temple) because I can't really afford more than that. But I was wondering would schools wait till they receive all my LORs before reviewing my app?

Thank you everyone for your input! I went ahead and submitted my app to two schools just incase (NYCPM and Temple) because I can't really afford more than that. But I was wondering would schools wait till they receive all my LORs before reviewing my app?

Some schools review before receiving LOR's and some don't. Since you applied to Temple, they reviewed mine before receiving any letters.

What service has everyone found best for their LOR? It seems that interfolio is accepted by all schools. I have not yet created an account but was wondering if someone could shed some light on how it works and if it is what most have used or if there is something better out there. Thanks!

Thank you! Would you happen to know about NYCPM?

NYCPM invited me to interview before I sent in my LOR and they even accepted me before they received my last LOR.

Thanks for clarifying!

You pay for the sub and make an account.

Give a heads up to whoever is writing for you.

Send request through Interfolio by email. Writers click on the link and submit the letter to Interfolio.

Once all letters are in they are on file on Interfolio. You pick the schools you want Interfolio to send it to.

Letters stay on there the whole year.

Just chiming in...

The schools allowed my professors and DPM to submit the LORs through email. If you do not want to spend money on Interfolio, you may ask them what email they can send it to. I know that at least Scholl, DMU and the school in Southern Cali let you do this.

Did you guys have to pay extra to send LORs to schools aside from the $19 Interfolio yearly fee?