*****Official Peds Interview Invite/Rejection Thread 2010-2011*****

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrats everyone on all the exciting invites!!
How many programs did y'all apply to? I'm trying to settle in on a target number and don't know what's typical. I know it's highly variable, but thanks for sharing any thoughts on picking how many programs to apply to. :) Good luck, everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

How many programs did y'all apply to? I'm trying to settle in on a target number and don't know what's typical. I know it's highly variable, but thanks for sharing any thoughts on picking how many programs to apply to. :) Good luck, everyone!

way, way, way, too many. I was going to aim for under 20, but then I couldn't cut. So I'm at 26 right now. I just got too excited by all the options. I'm only going to go on 10-15 interviews though, so I'll have to cut down eventually.

Arizona

Phoenix Children's (9/7): VegasMD, nogolfinsnow, twofish, babel, bubabugster, pedirules, texas2011, CFBandPEDS, Erina, himym

Georgia

Emory (9/10): qtpie055

Medical College of Georgia (9/8): CFBandPEDS, mickey85

Illinois

UIC (9/7): aerodivya, twofish, texas2011, Lizzy Wurtzel, CFBandPEDS, Witch Doctor

Indiana

St. Vincent Indianapolis (9/8): CFBandPEDS

Kentucky

Louisville (9/7): zbass13, sunflwr85, indynshrty, CFBandPEDS, mickey85, smrtypants, GetMeOutOfOhio

Univ. of Kentucky (9/8): CFBandPEDS, smrtypants

Louisiana

LSUHSC-Shreveport (9/10): smrtypants

Maryland

University of Maryland (9/9): indynshrty, inspiri29

Minnesota

Mayo (Rochester) (9/3): CFBandPEDS, GetMeOutOfOhio

Missouri

St. Louis University (9/9): aliendancer84

New Mexico

Univ. of New Mexico (9/2): VegasMD, texas2011, babel, himym, smrtypants, twofish

New York

Albert Einstein-Jacobi (9/7): twofish, natashana

Good Samaritan (9/7): bel138

North Carolina

Levine's Children's CMC (9/7): InspireMe, sunflwr85, Witch Doctor

Ohio

Rainbow Babies (9/9): aliendancer84, twofish, indynshrty, CFBandPEDS, himym, runnergirl85, GetMeOutOfOhio

Pennsylvania

CHOP (9/8): aliendancer84, Paul Simon, coastalmd, natashana, runnergirl85

St. Christopher's (9/8): Erina, CFBandPEDS, natashana, himym, smrtypants, pediperson

South Carolina

University of South Carolina/Palmetto (9/3): indynshrty, twofish

MUSC (9/9): SeminoleFan3

Texas

Driscoll Children's (9/7): twofish, dancer75088, InspireMe, pedirules

Texas A&M [Scott & White] (9/4): twofish, texas2011, dancer75088, pedirules, smrtypants

Texas Tech Amarillo (9/8): Drmed2009, dancer75088

UTMB (9/7): twofish, dancer75088, pedirules, CFBandPEDS

UT Southwestern (9/9): natashana, smrtypants, twofish, dancer75088

Members don't see this ad :)
I also was aiming for under 20. I ended up applying to 19 with a goal of interviewing at 10-15. Most of my peds friends seemed to apply to 15-20 programs.

Adding myself to Emory :)

Phoenix Children's (9/7): VegasMD, nogolfinsnow, twofish, babel, bubabugster, pedirules, texas2011, CFBandPEDS, Erina, himym

Georgia

Emory (9/10): qtpie055, coastalmd

Illinois

UIC (9/7): aerodivya, twofish, texas2011, Lizzy Wurtzel, CFBandPEDS, Witch Doctor

Indiana

Kentucky

Louisville (9/7): zbass13, sunflwr85, indynshrty, CFBandPEDS, mickey85, smrtypants, GetMeOutOfOhio

Louisiana

Maryland

Minnesota

Missouri

New Mexico

Univ. of New Mexico (9/2): VegasMD, texas2011, babel, himym, smrtypants, twofish

New York

North Carolina

Ohio

Rainbow Babies (9/9): aliendancer84, twofish, indynshrty, CFBandPEDS, himym, runnergirl85, GetMeOutOfOhio

Pennsylvania

St. Christopher's (9/8): Erina, CFBandPEDS, natashana, himym, smrtypants, pediperson

South Carolina

Texas

Texas A&M [Scott & White] (9/4): twofish, texas2011, dancer75088, pedirules, smrtypants

Adding myself to Emory :)

Georgia

Illinois

Indiana

Kentucky

Louisiana

Maryland

Minnesota

Missouri

New Mexico

New York

North Carolina

Ohio

Pennsylvania

South Carolina

Texas

CostalMD- when did you get their message of offer? It didn't show up to my email till around 4:50 pm. Tried to call them but not one answered. Tried email but it says it's full. Just wondering if you had any issues scheduling. Thanks! :)

qtpie055 they emailed me at 12noon ET. I replied to the email after 8pm- twice and got a reply message saying their inbox was full :(

Just re-editing my post. I kinda messed up the formatting. oops

Georgia

Illinois

Indiana

Kentucky

Louisiana

Maryland

Minnesota

Missouri

New Mexico

New York

North Carolina

Ohio

Pennsylvania

South Carolina

Texas

I'm a DO, so I have a bit of a different situation. I applied to all 17 DO programs and, so far, 10 MD. I'm only applying to MD programs that have the AOA approval for some stupid hoops we have to jump through. I've called over 100 programs to find those 10, though. That was a huge pain.

CoastalMD - Congrats on the Emory interview and thanks for fixing the list format, but you forgot to readd yourself :)

Good luck!

qtpie055 they emailed me at 12noon ET. I replied to the email after 8pm- twice and got a reply message saying their inbox was full :(

Yea. Odd- My email box says it was delivered at noon, but didn't show up till 5 pm. My Mssg Box on ERAS said it didn't get through till 4:50 pm. Guess we'll just have to contact them Monday. Hope the dates aren't filled up!!

i sent in my app on 9/6. so far one interview and one weaitlist for an interview. that's all! is that typical? im worried. both places are so-so.

bhop - I wouldn't necessarily worry. Some places just aren't making offers yet, and/or may require a more complete application than you have (this is what I'm telling myself, anyway =) ). You may notice that the vast majority of interviews that have gone out are in the South/Midwest; no West coast and very few East coast. I wouldn't get too stressed out unless your application is as complete as it can be right now (i.e. everything but MSPE, including 3+ LOR, USMLE and school transcripts) AND you haven't heard from places where other people are getting interviews already.

Members don't see this ad :)
... I wouldn't get too stressed out unless your application is as complete as it can be right now (i.e. everything but MSPE, including 3+ LOR, USMLE and school transcripts) AND you haven't heard from places where other people are getting interviews already.
As of Friday, a lot of med schools apparently hadn't uploaded transcripts into ERAS, so that might be a limiting factor in getting invitations. I wouldn't sweat it much for at least another week or two.

Twilightdoc - What's a good amount of time to wait before getting concerned about programs that appear to be giving out offers? In some cases I'm seeing the first offer goes out on one date and other people are getting their offer from the same program a week or so later.

So is it basically if you don't hear 1-2 weeks after offers start going out, you might need to be concerned?

Thanks!

As of Friday, a lot of med schools apparently hadn't uploaded transcripts into ERAS, so that might be a limiting factor in getting invitations. I wouldn't sweat it much for at least another week or two.

Yeah, thanks twilightdoc - I have actually been trying to calm myself with just such advice. Just found out that the earliest my school transcript will go out is in 2-3 weeks, and at least some programs (e.g. CHOP) have told us explicitly that we won't be reviewed until that is in place. It will probably take that long for me to get the rest of my LOR's in, so I am just trying to sit tight for now.

Twilightdoc - What's a good amount of time to wait before getting concerned about programs that appear to be giving out offers? In some cases I'm seeing the first offer goes out on one date and other people are getting their offer from the same program a week or so later. So is it basically if you don't hear 1-2 weeks after offers start going out, you might need to be concerned?
I am sure that programs all have their own systems for reviewing applications. Some programs may get 500+ applications from US grads, and maybe that many or more from international grads. So they need to have some sort of mechanism for prioritizing invitations. But that "system" might be based on Board scores, Alpha Omega Alpha membership, etc. as an early screen, and then look more deeply for the next round of invitees. Or the system might be as "fair" as reviewing applicants in alphabetical order (or reverse alphabetical order)- hopefully it is more scientific than that... Some programs assign individuals on their selection committees to review a bunch of applicants, and maybe some of those reviewers are more efficient than others in making recommendations to offer an invitation. So, if you are certain that the essential parts of your application have been uploaded and you have colleagues who have received an invitation from a program of interest to you, I would wait maybe a week and then tactfully contact the program to see if they have your information and to inquire about your status. "Tact" is key in this process. An administrative assistant who thinks that you are polite and thoughtful is much better than one who thinks you are arrogant and rude.

I am sure that programs all have their own systems for reviewing applications. Some programs may get 500+ applications from US grads, and maybe that many or more from international grads. So they need to have some sort of mechanism for prioritizing invitations. But that "system" might be based on Board scores, Alpha Omega Alpha membership, etc. as an early screen, and then look more deeply for the next round of invitees. Or the system might be as "fair" as reviewing applicants in alphabetical order (or reverse alphabetical order)- hopefully it is more scientific than that... Some programs assign individuals on their selection committees to review a bunch of applicants, and maybe some of those reviewers are more efficient than others in making recommendations to offer an invitation. So, if you are certain that the essential parts of your application have been uploaded and you have colleagues who have received an invitation from a program of interest to you, I would wait maybe a week and then tactfully contact the program to see if they have your information and to inquire about your status. "Tact" is key in this process. An administrative assistant who thinks that you are polite and thoughtful is much better than one who thinks you are arrogant and rude.

Thanks! I'll sit tight for a while and be patient :)

"Tact" is key in this process. An administrative assistant who thinks that you are polite and thoughtful is much better than one who thinks you are arrogant and rude.

Yes, yes, yes. Speaking from what I've seen from my own program, recruitment is a massive undertaking, one that programs take very seriously. But, there's generally 1 person who's managing the majority of the details. It's not like the person will go out of their way to be mean, but they have a lot to deal with, and if you are rude to them them, expect that they'll let people know.

way, way, way, too many. I was going to aim for under 20, but then I couldn't cut. So I'm at 26 right now. I just got too excited by all the options. I'm only going to go on 10-15 interviews though, so I'll have to cut down eventually.

I also was aiming for under 20. I ended up applying to 19 with a goal of interviewing at 10-15. Most of my peds friends seemed to apply to 15-20 programs.

Thank you for your replies! I applied to 18-20 so far, but others I know are applying to 25+ which made me a little nervous that I wasn't applying to enough.

Arizona

Georgia

Illinois

Indiana

Kentucky

Louisiana

Maryland

Minnesota

Missouri

New Mexico

Univ. of New Mexico (9/2): VegasMD, texas2011, babel, himym, smrtypants, twofish, africatree

New York

North Carolina

Ohio

Pennsylvania

South Carolina

Texas

Texas A&M [Scott & White] (9/4): twofish, texas2011, dancer75088, pedirules, smrtypants, africatree

Texas Tech Amarillo (9/8): Drmed2009, dancer75088, africatree

Baylor (9/8): africatree

Thank you for your replies! I applied to 18-20 so far, but others I know are applying to 25+ which made me a little nervous that I wasn't applying to enough.

i only applied to 11 (and i'm couples matching)...i have heard of people that applied from as little as 7 to as many as 25...so i think it's all up to the individual person. as long as you have a good variety of programs on there in places you would like to live, 18-20 should be a good number...you could always meet with your advisor and have them assess your competitiveness and your program list. i went over my list with my peds program director and he had a good knowledge about where different programs stand for stats and how competitive i would be for them.

Arizona

Phoenix Children's (9/7): VegasMD, nogolfinsnow, twofish, babel, bubabugster, pedirules, texas2011, CFBandPEDS, Erina

Georgia

Illinois

Advocate Christ: Allerian1004

Indiana

Kentucky

Louisville (9/7): zbass13, sunflwr85, indynshrty, CFBandPEDS, mickey85
Univ. of Kentucky (9/8): CFBandPEDS

Minnesota

Mayo (Rochester) (9/3): CFBandPEDS

University of MN (9/9): Allerian1004

New Mexico

Univ. of New Mexico (9/2): VegasMD, texas2011, babel

New York

Albert Einstein-Jacobi (9/7): twofish

Maryland

University of Maryland (9/9): indynshrty

North Carolina

Levine's Children's CMC (9/7): InspireMe, sunflwr85

Ohio

Rainbow Babies (9/9): aliendancer84, twofish, indynshrty, CFBandPEDS, himym, runnergirl85, GetMeOutOfOhio, Allerian1004

Pennsylvania

CHOP (9/8): aliendancer84, Paul Simon, coastalmd, Allerian1004
St. Christopher's (9/8): Erina, CFBandPEDS

South Carolina

University of South Carolina/Palmetto (9/3): indynshrty

Texas

Texas A&M (9/4): twofish, texas2011, dancer75088, pedirules
Texas Tech Amarillo (9/8): Drmed2009

Arizona

Georgia

Illinois

Advocate Christ (9/9): Allerian1004

Indiana

Kentucky

Louisiana

Maryland

Minnesota

Missouri

New Mexico

Univ. of New Mexico (9/2): VegasMD, texas2011, babel, himym, smrtypants, twofish, africatree

New York

North Carolina

Ohio

Rainbow Babies (9/9): aliendancer84, twofish, indynshrty, CFBandPEDS, himym, runnergirl85, GetMeOutOfOhio, Allerian1004

Pennsylvania

CHOP (9/8): aliendancer84, Paul Simon, coastalmd, natashana, runnergirl85, Allerian1004

South Carolina

Texas

Texas A&M [Scott & White] (9/4): twofish, texas2011, dancer75088, pedirules, smrtypants, africatree

i only applied to 11 (and i'm couples matching)...i have heard of people that applied from as little as 7 to as many as 25...so i think it's all up to the individual person. as long as you have a good variety of programs on there in places you would like to live, 18-20 should be a good number...you could always meet with your advisor and have them assess your competitiveness and your program list. i went over my list with my peds program director and he had a good knowledge about where different programs stand for stats and how competitive i would be for them.

I was wondering the same thing. I went from 27 to 20 now. I can always add more later if I need to.

Pressing submit tonight!!!

Congrats on all the interviews everyone:thumbup:

Arizona

Georgia

Illinois

Indiana

Kentucky

Louisiana

Maryland

Minnesota

Missouri

New Mexico

New York

North Carolina

Ohio

Pennsylvania

CHOP (9/8): aliendancer84, Paul Simon, coastalmd, natashana, runnergirl85, Allerian1004

South Carolina

Texas

Virginia

Virginia Commonwealth (9/12): babel

Arizona

Georgia

Illinois

Indiana

Kentucky

Louisiana

Maryland

Minnesota

Missouri

New Mexico

New York

North Carolina

Ohio

Pennsylvania

South Carolina

Texas

Virginia

Virginia Commonwealth (9/12): babel, indynshrty

Arizona

Georgia

Illinois

Indiana

Kentucky

Louisiana

Maryland

Minnesota

Missouri

New Mexico

New York

North Carolina

Ohio

Pennsylvania

South Carolina

Texas

Virginia

Virginia Commonwealth (9/12): babel, indynshrty, Erina

I was told to apply to 15-20, and aim to interview at 10-12. I ended up with 17 programs on my list that I applied to. So far, no official interview invites yet, although I got an email from one program telling me to expect an invite in the next 1-2 weeks. Not really worried yet, since none of the programs I've applied to are on the list in this thread (I'm applying in the northeast, and not in any of the biggest cities like NYC or Philly). But congrats to all of you who have received invites already - so exciting! Good luck everyone! :)

I applied to 25, which is obviously way to many, but this is for personal reasons. I am trying to work with my husband and so I applied to most programs in the cities he can advance his career. I plan on only doing 10-15 interviews. Also, I had read all these horror stories from last year where people went unmatched and I so I added a few at the end "just in case"... ;)

Arizona

Georgia

Illinois

Indiana

Kentucky

Louisiana

Maryland

University of Maryland (9/9): indynshrty, inspiri29, coastalmd

Minnesota

Missouri

New Mexico

New York

North Carolina

Ohio

Pennsylvania

South Carolina

Texas

Virginia

Virginia Commonwealth (9/12): babel, indynshrty, Erina, coastalmd

Arizona

Georgia

Illinois

Indiana

Kentucky

Louisiana

Maryland

Minnesota

Missouri

New Mexico

New York

North Carolina

Ohio

Rainbow Babies (9/9): aliendancer84, twofish, indynshrty, CFBandPEDS, himym, runnergirl85, GetMeOutOfOhio, Allerian1004, zbass13

Pennsylvania

South Carolina

Texas

Virginia

Arizona[/U][/B]

Georgia

Illinois

Indiana

Kentucky

Louisiana

Maryland

Minnesota

Missouri

New Mexico

New York

North Carolina

Levine's Children's CMC (9/7): InspireMe, sunflwr85, Witch Doctor, mickey85

Ohio

Pennsylvania

South Carolina

Texas

Virginia

For those of you who applied to Rainbow, the interview invite they sent was not sent through ERAS but rather sent directly to the email address you provide. My invite went to my Spambox, and I luckily stumbled upon it this morning.

Arizona

Georgia

Illinois

Indiana

Kentucky

Louisiana

Maryland

Minnesota

Missouri

New Mexico

New York

North Carolina

Ohio

Rainbow Babies (9/9): aliendancer84, twofish, indynshrty, CFBandPEDS, himym, runnergirl85, GetMeOutOfOhio, Allerian1004, zbass

Pennsylvania

South Carolina

Texas

UT Southwestern (9/9): natashana, smrtypants, twofish, dancer75088, babel

Virginia

Last edited:
Arizona

District of Columbia

Children's National (9/13): aliendancer84

Georgia

Illinois

Indiana

Kentucky

Louisiana

Maryland

Minnesota

Missouri

New Mexico

New York

North Carolina

Ohio

Rainbow Babies (9/9): aliendancer84, twofish, indynshrty, CFBandPEDS, himym, runnergirl85, GetMeOutOfOhio, Allerian1004, zbass

Pennsylvania

South Carolina

Texas

Virginia

Arizona

District of Columbia

Children's National (9/13): aliendancer84, inspiri29

Georgia

Illinois

Indiana

Kentucky

Louisiana

Maine

Barbara Bush Children's Hospital at Maine Medical Center (9/13): inspiri29

Maryland

Minnesota

Missouri

New Mexico

New York

North Carolina

Ohio

Pennsylvania

South Carolina

Texas

Virginia

Arizona

District of Columbia

Children's National (9/13): aliendancer84, inspiri29, RSV

Georgia

Illinois

Indiana

Kentucky

Louisiana

Maine

Maryland

Minnesota

Missouri

New Mexico

New York

North Carolina

Ohio

Pennsylvania

South Carolina

Texas

Virginia

Arizona

District of Columbia

Children's National (9/13): aliendancer84, inspiri29, RSV, pediperson

Georgia

Illinois

Indiana

Kentucky

Louisiana

Maine

Maryland

Minnesota

Missouri

New Mexico

New York

North Carolina

Ohio

Pennsylvania

South Carolina

Texas

Virginia

Arizona

District of Columbia

Children's National (9/13): aliendancer84, inspiri29, RSV, pediperson, Lizzy Wurtzel

Georgia

Illinois

Indiana

Kentucky

Louisiana

Maine

Maryland

Minnesota

Missouri

New Hampshire
Dartmouth-Hitchcock (9/13): Lizzy Wurtzel

New Mexico

New York

North Carolina

Ohio

Pennsylvania

South Carolina

Texas

Virginia

Arizona

District of Columbia

Georgia

Illinois

Indiana

Kentucky

Louisiana

Maine

Maryland

Minnesota

Missouri

New Mexico

New York

North Carolina

Ohio

Pennsylvania

CHOP (9/8): aliendancer84, Paul Simon, coastalmd, natashana, runnergirl85, Allerian1004, kidsdr

South Carolina

Texas

UT Southwestern (9/9): natashana, smrtypants, twofish, dancer75088, babel, kidsdr

Virginia

Arizona

District of Columbia

Georgia

Illinois

Indiana

Kentucky

Louisiana

Maine

Maryland

Minnesota

Missouri

New Mexico

New York

North Carolina

Ohio

Pennsylvania

South Carolina

Texas

UTSA (9/13): africatree

Virginia

Also, waitlisted at Northwestern until Dean's letter is realeased :(

Yeah, everyone I know of got that same email from Northwestern (including me)...

Arizona

District of Columbia

Children's National (9/13): aliendancer84, inspiri29, RSV, pediperson, Lizzy Wurtzel

Georgia

Illinois

Indiana

Kentucky

Louisiana

Maine

Maryland

Minnesota

Missouri

New Hampshire

Dartmouth-Hitchcock (9/13): Lizzy Wurtzel, lockjaw

New Mexico

New York

North Carolina

Ohio

Pennsylvania

South Carolina

Texas

UTSA (9/13): africatree

Virginia

Arizona

District of Columbia

Georgia

Illinois

Indiana

Kentucky

Louisiana

Maine

Maryland

Minnesota

Missouri

New Mexico

New York

North Carolina

Ohio

Pennsylvania

South Carolina

Texas

UTSA (9/13): africatree, twofish

Virginia

Arizona

District of Columbia

Georgia

Illinois

Indiana

Kentucky

Louisiana

Maine

Maryland

Minnesota

Missouri

New Hampshire

Dartmouth-Hitchcock (9/13): Lizzy Wurtzel, lockjaw

New Mexico

New York

Albert Einstein-Jacobi (9/7): twofish, natashana, pediarix

North Carolina

Ohio

Pennsylvania

St. Christopher's (9/8): Erina, CFBandPEDS, natashana, himym, smrtypants, pediperson, pediarix

South Carolina

Texas

UTSA (9/13): africatree, twofish

Virginia

Congrats to those with interviews from Children's National. Did you guys have your transcripts and LORs all uploaded?

I received the same letter from Northwestern. Glad to know we're in the same boat.

I had my transcript and 3 LORs uploaded for Children's National.

Also, waitlisted at Northwestern until Dean's letter is realeased :(

From past years threads and the grapevine it seems like they send that email to almost everyone and do most of their reviewing after the deans letters are out. A very very small group of people get interviews before then. They don't even have most people's transcripts. I don't think you can consider it a wait list at all. They just send the weird email.