Official PCOM Class of 2011!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What?? With the mini feed and the million messages everyday telling you which person on your friend list is breathing at the moment?? NO WAY!! hahha...

here's my link...add me :) I tried to find you, but in vain :(
http://upenn.facebook.com/profile.php?id=604098

sorry if its creepy but i just befriended you haha
hopefully you get to join the pcom class of 2011 group :thumbup: :luck:

befriended jp as well a few days ago

Members don't see this ad.

So...Im on facebook and people keep inviting me to be their friend. Thats fine, but shouldnt they send me a HELLO first?

I feel a little cheap, whoring out my friendship to anyone. :laugh:

So...Im on facebook and people keep inviting me to be their friend. Thats fine, but shouldnt they send me a HELLO first?

I feel a little cheap, whoring out my friendship to anyone. :laugh:

aahh the world of facebook, where random strangers pretend to be your best friends, and is a means for those who would otherwise not remember your bday, to send you a quick birthday wish thanks to its reminder. you gotta love the fakeness it encourages!

Members don't see this ad :)
Would like to know if anyone is looking for a roommate? I'll be starting residency in Philly and will be looking to move in to a 2/2 in June. I'm interested in living in Bryn Mawr/Main Line area. If anyone is interested please reply to [email protected]
thanks and I apologize for posting this on your class message board but I thought it would reach more people.:D

NEWS: I worked with the facebook techs to create a new facebook network for PCOM. Go to Account then to the Networks tab. On the right side of this screen, you should see an area to enter a new school email to add a college network. Enter your PCOM email address([email protected]) into the blank and join the network.

:banana:

NEWS: I worked with the facebook techs to create a new facebook network for PCOM. Go to Account then to the Networks tab. On the right side of this screen, you should see an area to enter a new school email to add a college network. Enter your PCOM email address([email protected]) into the blank and join the network.

:banana:

Don't forget to check your minesweeper account; facebook messages will be sent to it.

Yes, people need to use this thread more often. I do not believe in facebook so will not be seeing info or posting in there.

PS - Maximus, you really need to just ignore Riker. I am pretty sure everything he says is to get attention and offend people. If we all just start ignoring him he will go away.

I would really like more people to ask questions on here. I have so many I do not know where to begin so if we can ask them and work together to find out answers it would be great.

Start asking???

Hi PCOMers, I wish I was one of you :rolleyes: . I may have been have I turned in my secondary earlier than around new years. I'm going to LECOM and although I know I will get adequate prep for the boards and I will make the best of my situation, I would much rather pay the extra 50-80 grand it costs to go to pcom and love where I am at. I was wondering if I made a bold move and dropped my acceptance to LECOM, what would my chances be if i sent in the primary in july and the secondary as soon as they send me it. Since all of you got in, you know best, atleast numerically what can get in. I have an overall 3.55, with a science gpa around 3.3. My fresh and soph years I had a 3.3 overall and my jr and sr year I have around 3.75 or so. MCAT was 10V 9B 7P WO. Alright amt of volunteering (150hr+) and have had numerous research experience and I just wrapped up my thesis. Also, current PCOMers, please tell me if it is really worth it to wait one year and go to pcom rather than going somewhere else. My LOR writer went to LECOM and did Anesthesia at UChicago and is a reason why I accepted LECOM. Let me know what you think. Good luck!

Honestly I am not sure what to tell you here.

My stats:

3.0overall
3.2sci
28O MCAT

Personally I would never give up a guaranteed spot just to go somewhere I think I would enjoy more. Medical school (in most instances) is about having no life and working your butt off to get into the residency you want. If you truly think you will be miserable I guess that is your call. But you can get to where you want to go if you just work hard, school probably will not make a huge difference.

Goodluck

LECOM was founded by a PCOM alumni what, 15-20 years ago? I interviewed there and it seems like it is very well organized and is building a great reputation for itself. There are pros and cons of every school. Do I think you will get a good education there? If you work hard just like you would have to at PCOM to get a good education. Are you interested in Family Med? Lecom has an accelerated program, which, pcom does not. LECOM's match list is posted on the DO forum and I think its pretty impressive. So, providing your going to work hard for your education, I don't think going to LECOM is going to be limiting you per se. If you are interested in a surg subspecialty, going to pcom and getting to know the PDs for 4 years before applying might be an advantage, but obviously you can still match if your not a pcom grad. Keep in mind, LECOM has alot of surg subspecialties of its own in its OPTI, so rotating through those systems would give you an advantage for matching as a LECOM student.

If you really want to go to a different school because you wont be happy with the area or some other reason, you can A suck it up 2 years and do your rotations in a more ideal location, or B do post-bac/biomed program/retake your MCAT if you think you need to and reapply.

I guess basically what I'm saying is if you work hard, make connections in whatever field you want to go into by being proactive(joining student interest groups and meeting PDs or helping on the national level, shadowing, rotating at places you want to match, etc....) you can go anywhere you want after graduating from LECOM.

:luck: Be proud golfho, according to US news, LECOM has a 10% acceptance rate, that means there are LITERALLY thousands of people who would kill to be in your "predicament"

Hey everyone, Congrats on school. I am a 1st yr @ Temple and I have a place available East Falls near ridge and Midvale in my 2 bed 1 bath apt for $450.00 with water and heat included. Send me a message and I can get you the details.
Bruce

Members don't see this ad :)
I was wondering if I made a bold move and dropped my acceptance to LECOM, what would my chances be if i sent in the primary in july and the secondary as soon as they send me it.

This question has been posed a number of times on SDN. Unless an applicant has a very good reason to decline an acceptance and reapply, it is generally the kiss of death. AdComs do not look favorably on someone who declines an "in-hand" acceptance in the hopes of getting into a "better" school. Don't do it.

Definitely don't do it without contacting Deborah Benvenger or Marsha Williams :idea: They're the director and assistant director of admissions, respectively. Look up their contact info at http://www.pcom.edu

I would say go with the LECOM acceptance at this point but if you REALLY want a spot at PCOM, you should call those and ask them what your options are making sure NOT to bash LECOM. Instead, you should focus on why you feel PCOM is the ONLY school that you will be happy attending.

Thanks everyone for your advice. I know the main reasons me wanting to take a year off and go to PCOM are lifestyle issues and aren't good enough to warrant the decision, but like many, hearing it from others feels good. Anyways, good luck at PCOM and take care.

Thanks everyone for your advice. I know the main reasons me wanting to take a year off and go to PCOM are lifestyle issues and aren't good enough to warrant the decision, but like many, hearing it from others feels good. Anyways, good luck at PCOM and take care.

No doubt Philly is a better location for getting into the medical field than LECOM. But, if you play your cards right and do some stellar rotations in key spots in Ohio, Pittsburgh, or Philly, I don't see how being from LECOM would hurt you in any way other than its relative newness. On the plus side, Erie has fewer distractions by far.

Good luck and congrats, MS-0!

I cannot seem to get the email going in the Nucleus. Anyone else having this problem or is it because I am at work?

Expecting some important feedback.

PS - Anyone have any important things to remember the summer before starting school? Trying to get all the immunization records and all that stuff ready. Sent my transcripts. The list goes on...

I've had some difficulty with the email, because i changed my nucleus password and now its different from my email password which is different from my MineSweeper password. I had to reset it somehow to get it to work right.

Don't forget to do the Security Check online!

What is the security check?

And I'm not having problems with my email but I can't access the Class of '11 group or the housing group. Anybody else??

PCOM requires a background check for all incoming students. I recieved a letter in the mail about the background check Oh I haven't tried to access those sorry.

I had trouble accessing those at first too. The housing one you should just be able to join if you click on the join a new group tab or whatever it is called in the upper right corner of your nucleus page.

The class of 2011 group you have to be added to by someone in the registrar I think. I just sent an email to the [email protected] and they were very helpful in forwarding my request to the proper people.

Hey fellow PCOMers-

I wanted to know everyone's opinon on living at Presidential City versus Greenbriar club? I will be living by myself and can't decide which place is better. I am making a decision this week, so the input from upperclassmen is greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
Rachael

Hi everyone! I didn't want to put this as a main post, but I thought some of you (mainly the 1st and 2nd years reading) might be able to help me out. I was talking with my friend Natalie whose friend just finished her first year at PCOM (still following? haha). Natalie tells me that her friend "has" to participate in one of three or four choices of programs during the summer b/w her first and second year. She mentioned it's a paid program and that it only lasts about 10 weeks or so.

My question to everyone is if you have heard of these programs or not? I've never heard anyone talk about them, and I've always kind of heard that the summer b/w 1st and 2nd year is your last "free" summer. Most people do research or travel during this time, so I wasn't sure where these programs fit in.

Anyways, the reason I ask this is b/c I just recently got engaged and I'm trying to plan a wedding for next August. I'm curious to know if I'll have a little bit of time next summer to finish planning or if I'll be running around w/my head cut off :)

Thank you to anyone that can help me figure this out! The programs sounded interesting, but I'm hoping to (selfishly) have some free wedding/honeymoon time before my second year. Thanks!!

to the best of my knowledge.....unless you fail a course and are repeating it over the summer.... there is nothing that is mandatory.....maybe call the school to be 100% sure....but i've never heard of anything like that

Hi everyone! I didn't want to put this as a main post, but I thought some of you (mainly the 1st and 2nd years reading) might be able to help me out. I was talking with my friend Natalie whose friend just finished her first year at PCOM (still following? haha). Natalie tells me that her friend "has" to participate in one of three or four choices of programs during the summer b/w her first and second year. She mentioned it's a paid program and that it only lasts about 10 weeks or so.

My question to everyone is if you have heard of these programs or not? I've never heard anyone talk about them, and I've always kind of heard that the summer b/w 1st and 2nd year is your last "free" summer. Most people do research or travel during this time, so I wasn't sure where these programs fit in.

Anyways, the reason I ask this is b/c I just recently got engaged and I'm trying to plan a wedding for next August. I'm curious to know if I'll have a little bit of time next summer to finish planning or if I'll be running around w/my head cut off :)

Thank you to anyone that can help me figure this out! The programs sounded interesting, but I'm hoping to (selfishly) have some free wedding/honeymoon time before my second year. Thanks!!

Thank you! :) I'll double check with the school soon.

Yep people in your class stopped posting on SDN a while ago. Facebook seems like the new place to be. :thumbup: