***Official NYU C/O 2012 Acceptance Thread***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
wishing everyone good luck next year

Members don't see this ad.

The guys who got in...Just wondering...What was your GPA and DAT?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey classmates.. Which loans are you guys applying for? and how many loans are you getting..

I am getting both the stafford loans sub and unsub and the CitiAssit. But with a limit 120K thats not going to be enough for 4 years.. Is everybody taking out a couple loans in addition to the Stafford loans?

Thanks for the info.. wanted to see what most are doing..

jason

I still haven't received my award info. Do you guys know when NYU received your FAFSA info and when they sent you the award email? Thanks.

so a few things

1. I want to get a membership to this no fee website. Its actually not that expensive but I figured that if anybody else wanted a membership to help find apartments too, they could email me and we could split the cost (via paypal) and share the username and password.
2. if anybody is interested, I made a myspace page to look for rommates too!
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=382010962

yes I joined the facebook groups. they're not that active or anything.

yes I'm on Craigslist a lot. found lots of awesome places but want a non-crazy roommate or two as well

yes I'm in touch with some ppl on the NYU housing registry. just trying to touch all my bases

yes I joined Uloop. It was a complete waste of time and has completely spammed the facebook groups and not worth it at all.

Thanks!

so a few things

1. I want to get a membership to this no fee website. Its actually not that expensive but I figured that if anybody else wanted a membership to help find apartments too, they could email me and we could split the cost (via paypal) and share the username and password.
2. if anybody is interested, I made a myspace page to look for rommates too!
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=382010962

yes I joined the facebook groups. they're not that active or anything.

yes I'm on Craigslist a lot. found lots of awesome places but want a non-crazy roommate or two as well

yes I'm in touch with some ppl on the NYU housing registry. just trying to touch all my bases

yes I joined Uloop. It was a complete waste of time and has completely spammed the facebook groups and not worth it at all.

Thanks!

http://www.nofeenycrentals.com/nycmanhattan/manhattaneastvillage_apartments.html

click on "contact landlord" to get fees etc

Hey classmates.. Which loans are you guys applying for? and how many loans are you getting..

I am getting both the stafford loans sub and unsub and the CitiAssit. But with a limit 120K thats not going to be enough for 4 years.. Is everybody taking out a couple loans in addition to the Stafford loans?

Thanks for the info.. wanted to see what most are doing..

jason
Why are you going with the CitiAssist? The fact alone that it's not federally insured kinda kills it right there for me.

And where did you get a 120K limit? This shows that both give you everything you need minus any other aid you already have...no?

Why are you going with the CitiAssist? The fact alone that it's not federally insured kinda kills it right there for me.

And where did you get a 120K limit? This shows that both give you everything you need minus any other aid you already have...no?

hey vapor 1122, can you please explain the advantanges of Graduate Plus loan over CitiAssist Plus Loan? thanks

I have a better understanding of the loans now.. so here is what I've gathered.

The loan money awarded are from the banks, both the staffords and any other loans. I use to think that staffords where loans from the government but I guess not. I've never needed loans before so all this is new to me.

I think I'll be going with Citi bank for all my loans, the sub and unsub Staffords and most likely a gradPlus since the APR is fixed (8.5%). The CitiAssist currently has a lower rate but its variable. Also you have to look out for the loan fees and early repayment fees.

Please correct me if any of this stuff is wrong.

See you guys in a few months.

Anybody going to be in NYC july 10-13? I'll be apartment hunting and it'll be nice to meet up with my classmates..

PM if you'll be around

Jason

I live in NY if you need help getting around

I am hunting for apt also...Where are most of the students going to be living?!..

Hope everybody's finals and graduation went well!!

So I'm dying to know if anybody has any idea what our first semester schedule is going to look like as far as hours go. I called NYU and they just say that they havent finalized the schedule yet.

well I just want some general hours? what time do I have to be there in the morning? 8? 7? till 5pm? till 9pm? what? anybody with past experience know?

And also, I just bought (with my family) an apartment in New Jersey so if anybody is open to a little bit of a commute and doesnt mind living with me, my dog, and my very active vacuum cleaner, shoot me a PM !

Its in a BEAUTIFUL safe location. I fully intend to go walk the dog in the neighborhood alone after midnight. Or if you know any friends who would be interested, give them my PM too.

I'd prefer to live with another female who is also very clean. Its a co-op so if you have a pet yourself, it has to be approved by the board. The place is in West New York with a wonderful view of Manhattan from the terrace. Bus is directly outside the apartment building and takes about 15 minutes to get to the New York Port Authority or 15 minutes to the New Jersey Hoboken Path Station. So total of about 20 minutes to the World Trade Center downtown or 30-40 minutes to NYU Dental via one bus, one path train, and a 5 minute walk.
Oh and its a 2 Bed 1.5 Bath co-op and I'll be furnishing the bedroom for you with nice solid wood furniture.
Yes I've posted on other websites as well but I thought I'd add it on here as well.

But really. Does ANYBODY know what the basics of our schedule is going to be in August? NYU just keeps telling me we'll find out during orientation. Thats NOT enough notice for me! I need to set up dog walkers and such so any help would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad :)
i received an email that im gettin my app audited. Is this standard procedure for everyone? I have to send in another transcript straight to nyu which is a pain...

i received an email that im gettin my app audited. Is this standard procedure for everyone? I have to send in another transcript straight to nyu which is a pain...

same here, you also have to send a passport pic of yourself if you haven't yet.:thumbup:

Why are they auditing people?

Why are they auditing people?

i guess they are just making sure everyone has all their prereqs done before starting class and that everyone will have their degrees.

musl85
MJM565
udonzilla
cymbidium
moralbrain
goonda
phamdh23 (Dennis Huy Pham)
Ewok1984
Hyphae
predental1984
tejloo
keving
porkchop2
714guy (jason cao)
tingteenfone (william ting)
wtf3388
Vapor1122 (Jared Miller)
chuchudentist
Mrsoccerpro (Jordan Martin)
dkroner
andrew0k
Sephisabin
Motormouth (Andrew)
bob81575 (Bob)
curls1104
Lonely Sol
Qwerty86
Thoma76
muelita82
Toothpaste12
Star7126
Wolfram

On 10th page...Not acceptable!...haha

Anyways...I just got the HeSC in mail. I filled out the e-MPN online for stafford loan. I was wondering if anyone is going with graduate plus loan for the rest or going with a private loans.

Also...Isnt 8.5% for graduate PLUS loan a little high or is that normal. I suck at the financial part of the process so any help would be appreciated!!

well, i have been away for quite some time. Just doing some traveling before school starts.

In any case, i thought i would post that i got an email today that my file was complete. Hope all of you have your files completed, or have heard back from Patricia. I shall see all of you soon :thumbup:

Hi guys. Congrats on your acceptance to NYU Dental. I'm a Second year student at NYU Dentistry and have a large, quiet and sunny studio available for rent at waterside plaza as of Aug. 15th. If necessary, may be possible to move sooner. East river views. Fully furnished. 24hr doorman & security. 5 min walk from NYU Dent or Med. Perfect apartment for studying – even better than the library! Please contact Jordan at 646-334-8423 or email [email protected]

I am hunting for apt also...Where are most of the students going to be living?!..

Hi, I'm a second year Student at NYU Dentistry and have for rent a large, quiet and sunny studio available for rent at waterside plaza as of Aug. 15th. If necessary, may be possible to move sooner. East river views. Fully furnished. 24hr doorman & security. 5 min walk from NYU Dent or Med. Perfect apartment for studying – even better than the library! Please contact Jordan at 646-334-8423 or email [email protected]

well, i have been away for quite some time. Just doing some traveling before school starts.

Same here! go anywhere fun?

Hi guys. Congrats on your acceptance to NYU Dental. I'm a Second year student at NYU Dentistry and have a large, quiet and sunny studio available for rent at waterside plaza as of Aug. 15th. If necessary, may be possible to move sooner. East river views. Fully furnished. 24hr doorman & security. 5 min walk from NYU Dent or Med. Perfect apartment for studying – even better than the library! Please contact Jordan at 646-334-8423 or email [email protected]

Where were you 5 days ago?? I just signed my lease 2 days ago..

Maybe you can help tell us how our schedule is going to be like our first year?

So I'm dying to know if anybody has any idea what our first semester schedule is going to look like as far as hours go. I called NYU and they just say that they havent finalized the schedule yet.

well I just want some general hours? what time do I have to be there in the morning? 8? 7? till 5pm? till 9pm? what? anybody with past experience know?

While I was apartment hunting last week near campus I ran into a D3 and I asked him where everyone lives and he said in Kips Bay, Waterside Plaza (thats where he lives) and some other place I can't remember.

So after apartment hunting for a few days I can try to give you guys some pointers.

- Say NO to broker fees!

- Brokers can be helpful, and they do have "no broker-fee apartments"

- Brokers have tricks and gimmicks to get you to call them. On Craigslist they would post imaginary apartments which look very nice and for low rent to raise your expectations, then when you go meet with the broker the apartment is magically rented already. Then they take you to apartments that are not as nice and for more money. Very frustrating.

- Do not settle for an apartment. You can and will find one you really like!

- Search on Craigslist "by apartment owners only" for no broker apartments. That way you deal with the owner of the apartment. No broker fees! and lower security deposits. One apartment I looked at with a broker required a FOUR month security deposit which came out to $9200.00!!

- Expand your search area.

Will edit with more information! Dinner time!

Anyone going to be apartment hunting around 4th july weekend...pM me...

I called Kips bay..but they said they dont have any available. I will make apt to see stuy town and waterside. Anyone have any other suggestions as ar as good places that I could make apt for?

Any help would be appreciated!

I called Kips bay..but they said they dont have any available. I will make apt to see stuy town and waterside. Anyone have any other suggestions as ar as good places that I could make apt for?

Any help would be appreciated!

Yea, when I tried to look at Kips Bay they were full too. But if you go to www.citi-habitats.com they do have some available, but all the apartments on that site have a brokers fee.

Just to let you know, Waterside Plaza is extremely expensive. I think it was somewhere like $2600/mo for a studio and thats if they have them available because when I checked about 1.5 weeks ago, they were full.

The cheapest I've found near campus is around $2300/mo for a semi-decent studio. Of course you can go cheaper, but then quality goes down.

I gave up looking for an apartment near school because it was too expensive.

img459e061516903.png

If you take a look at this map, the school is located in Gramercy. You can look for apartments in Midtown East or even Upper East side or East Village. Apartments in Murray Hill are just as expensive as Gramercy.

I found my apartment in Midtown East in the 50's which is an awesome place near all the department stores like Bloomingdales, Bed Bath and Beyond, Home Depot.

If you go to this site: http://www.mta.info/nyct/maps/manbus.pdf you can see a map of all the buses in Manhattan. The main bus that runs up and down Manhattan near campus is the M15. The bus stops half a block away from school. Or you can take the 6 train which stops at 23rd and Park, which is about a 15 minute walk to campus.

If you have any other questions just ask!

Yea, when I tried to look at Kips Bay they were full too. But if you go to www.citi-habitats.com they do have some available, but all the apartments on that site have a brokers fee.

Just to let you know, Waterside Plaza is extremely expensive. I think it was somewhere like $2600/mo for a studio and thats if they have them available because when I checked about 1.5 weeks ago, they were full.

The cheapest I've found near campus is around $2300/mo for a semi-decent studio. Of course you can go cheaper, but then quality goes down.

I gave up looking for an apartment near school because it was too expensive.

img459e061516903.png

If you take a look at this map, the school is located in Gramercy. You can look for apartments in Midtown East or even Upper East side or East Village. Apartments in Murray Hill are just as expensive as Gramercy.

I found my apartment in Midtown East in the 50's which is an awesome place near all the department stores like Bloomingdales, Bed Bath and Beyond, Home Depot.

If you go to this site: http://www.mta.info/nyct/maps/manbus.pdf you can see a map of all the buses in Manhattan. The main bus that runs up and down Manhattan near campus is the M15. The bus stops half a block away from school. Or you can take the 6 train which stops at 23rd and Park, which is about a 15 minute walk to campus.

If you have any other questions just ask!

Thanks for all the information. How much are you paying for yours? and wat is it called?

Thanks for all the information. How much are you paying for yours? and wat is it called?

No prob. I'm paying $2000/mo for a studio in a co-op building. It's about a 20 minute bus ride to campus with moderate traffic. Haven't really tested it in the morning yet though. Oh and I forgot to tell you, if you don't mind stairs, they have walk-up buildings which are cheaper in rent too. Exercise!

And remember, if you do go through a broker, be sure to ask for no fee apartments. Because if there is a fee, thats 15% of a years rent. $2000/mo x 12mos = $24,000 x .15 = $3600 up front.

I don't know if you need a guarantor or not but if you do, some management companies require you to make 40x your rent. But since we are students we don't have any income, they require your guarantor to make 80x the rent. This is only my experience from one management firm. But since my dad doesn't make 200k+ a year they were going to charge me 4 months rent for a security deposit which came out to be $9500.00 which i couldn't swing plus the $3600 broker fee which he surprised me with, so I left that broker.

I've had a very bad experience with brokers, since there are so many in the city, they use very dirty tricks to try to get your business. Every tenant they get = $3000+. Ok, enough venting for me, I just hope you find a nice place! Good luck! Oh, and try to get a later move in date, unless you plan on moving in right away, that way you can save some money!

No prob. I'm paying $2000/mo for a studio in a co-op building. It's about a 20 minute bus ride to campus with moderate traffic. Haven't really tested it in the morning yet though. Oh and I forgot to tell you, if you don't mind stairs, they have walk-up buildings which are cheaper in rent too. Exercise!

And remember, if you do go through a broker, be sure to ask for no fee apartments. Because if there is a fee, thats 15% of a years rent. $2000/mo x 12mos = $24,000 x .15 = $3600 up front.

I don't know if you need a guarantor or not but if you do, some management companies require you to make 40x your rent. But since we are students we don't have any income, they require your guarantor to make 80x the rent. This is only my experience from one management firm. But since my dad doesn't make 200k+ a year they were going to charge me 4 months rent for a security deposit which came out to be $9500.00 which i couldn't swing plus the $3600 broker fee which he surprised me with, so I left that broker.

I've had a very bad experience with brokers, since there are so many in the city, they use very dirty tricks to try to get your business. Every tenant they get = $3000+. Ok, enough venting for me, I just hope you find a nice place! Good luck! Oh, and try to get a later move in date, unless you plan on moving in right away, that way you can save some money!

Thanks for all the info...I am coming tomm to look for some apt; hopefully I find a nice one close to school!!

Again..Thank you!:D:D

im busy trying to find a laptop i like.

does anyone know if the 3-year warranty is strictly required? or is it "required"...?

They don't really have a way of checking, so it's "required," but it wouldn't be a bad idea to get it...

im busy trying to find a laptop i like.

does anyone know if the 3-year warranty is strictly required? or is it "required"...?

I just got an HP and I didnt get the warranty cuz the laptop was 749 and the warranty was like over 200 so i didnt see the point of paying that much. I hope its okay...

excellent. thanks!

im looking over dellskies at the moment. i am trying to decide if i can manage with a glossy screen. worst case scenario i can get an anti-glare filter jah? im sorta a newbie with this laptop business.:rolleyes:

hi guys! i'm currently applying to nyu and it's one of my top choices! i have a 3.2/3.0 gpa, and dats are around a 20 aa, 1000 hrs of dental assisting, x-ray certified, lots of volunteering (im hoping they really look at my experience)..so on that note, if u don't mind me asking...what were some of your stats...just so I know whether i have a good shot at this school or not!

thanks so much and good luck to all you on your first year! :)

hi guys! i'm currently applying to nyu and it's one of my top choices! i have a 3.2/3.0 gpa, and dats are around a 20 aa, 1000 hrs of dental assisting, x-ray certified, lots of volunteering (im hoping they really look at my experience)..so on that note, if u don't mind me asking...what were some of your stats...just so I know whether i have a good shot at this school or not!

thanks so much and good luck to all you on your first year! :)

You have pretty good scores. You can look at predents profile for some members on here. That might give u an idea. But typically and I might be wrong but the avg gpa is around 3.2-3.4 and the dat around 20aa. So you look like ur in good shape plus volunteering only adds to ur profile.

Good luck with app process...

anyone have any idea what our orientation schedule is like or when we'll get that information?

I just got off the waitlist this week for NYU! Just wondering, because I haven't received any information yet, is there still spots in the NYU housing residence or is it filled by now? Also, is anyone looking for a roomate or know someone who is? I'm excited about going to NYU but stressed about all these other things...

anyone have any idea what our orientation schedule is like or when we'll get that information?

i asked when i went last week, but they said most likely we will just get a reminder, no packet of any sort. I guess we will see.

check your emails guys, orientation schedules recieved

check your emails guys, orientation schedules recieved

I didn't get the schedule in the e-mail. What time is the orientation and when does it end? Can you please let me know if you can? Thank you!

Hello class of 2012! I'm very excited and looking forward to spend the next 4 yrs in NYC.

SEE U ALL IN 2 WEEKS:)

I didn't get the schedule in the e-mail. What time is the orientation and when does it end? Can you please let me know if you can? Thank you!

It's pretty much 9AM to 6PM Monday to Friday.

It's pretty much 9AM to 6PM Monday to Friday.

Ah man, those seem like long days for orientation... there's only so many animals I can name that begin with the same letter as my first name. What are we mainly going to be doing for the week?