*** Official NYCOM Class of 2010 *** pt. 2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
anyone know if we are expected to memorize chapman's points?

Members don't see this ad.

How hard is it to get St. Barnabas or Maimo for a regional? I really want to get Maimo.

Also for the USMLE when you register do you have to get the school to sign and allow you to take it?

yes they send you some piece of paper or you print it and then go to one of the ladies on the second floor get a school stamp and mail it to NBME HQ's in Philly for you to get final approval.

For Step 2, they contact NYCOM directly so you dont have to go through this song and dance twice.

St barnabas is overrated. My two cents

Members don't see this ad :)
The only problem with not doing a regional is how do we guarantee we're not sent upstate? Some of us have families and can't be shipped up state or to buffalo for 12 weeks.

my buddy is married and got something in Binghamton, but he went and talked to them and got something local. They can always work something out.

Don't let them scare you.

Lutheran surgery is hard core hours. It's been a good experience in terms of learning. However, the call REALLY SUCKS. You have to do between 10 and 12 calls.

You are q 5 meaning on call every fifth day (26 hours). The place is a level 1 trauma center and they have no ER residency so General Surgery covers trauma. You, the student, are essential to the call and they will use you to do all their scut work like writing the history. You get to draw blood. (Big whoop) and then end up staying w/ patient while they go to X-ray, CT and sometimes (rarely if needed) to OR.

This may sound sexy, however, the reality is IT SUCKS if you enjoy sleeping at night. I guess it is good to see. YOu see a lot of Motor Vehicle accidents, stabbing and some gunshots.

Because it is Level 1, you dont get to sleep much at night. Back to back to back traumas. Call will affect your life and make you rather nasty for 10 weeks. 2 weeks you have no call.

There are other surgery rotations with much less call. IF you are not that interested in trauma and like to sleep, you may want to look into hospitals that are not Level 1 centers. St Barnabas and Lutheran. Not sure about the rest. Try to contact other students regarding specific hospitals or even the surgery office at each hospital regarding the call schedule for students.

I just wanted to give you a heads up so you have some idea of what you are getting into. Some of you maybe into that others may want to chill a bit more during surgery.

Surgery is the hardest rotation during 3rd and 4th year especially if at a Level 1. I had no idea about any of this so hope this useful to youl.

do you have any info on rotations at nassau university medical center or south nassau?

do you have any info on rotations at nassau university medical center or south nassau?

contact alex feldman he is a third year doing a regional at NUMC. Send him an email. I trust his opinion.

This is a little strange, but I'm am trying to find the person that made the point about the OMM practicals and failing the entire system. I thought it was an excellent point, and very well communicated. I was hoping that that person will also come on Friday when Dr. Scandalous is speaking with the class. Any takers?

This is a little strange, but I'm am trying to find the person that made the point about the OMM practicals and failing the entire system. I thought it was an excellent point, and very well communicated. I was hoping that that person will also come on Friday when Dr. Scandalous is speaking with the class. Any takers?

I thought there was already a meeting/decision on this at the meeting Friday after Endocrine Exam I review? I did not attend so I have no idea what was discussed.

The person that I mentioned above made this point at the meeting on Friday, however, Dr. Portanova basically had no response. That is why I hope that the issue is revisited at this meeting. Sorry if my above post was unclear, or if I somehow missed a further decision on this isse.

I dont think its the policy, anymore. The syllabus doesnt state that each must be passed, only that the grade for the written and practical must be above passing. I think it used to say EACH in previous syllabi(is that a word?)

QUESTION:
I am reading rapid review by goljan for path and its a little lenghty. i have also been reading BRS path and its much more concise, and i really like it, although it doesnt explain in detail.

Anyone know if BRS is enough for path?

I dont think its the policy, anymore. The syllabus doesnt state that each must be passed, only that the grade for the written and practical must be above passing. I think it used to say EACH in previous syllabi(is that a word?)

QUESTION:
I am reading rapid review by goljan for path and its a little lenghty. i have also been reading BRS path and its much more concise, and i really like it, although it doesnt explain in detail.

Anyone know if BRS is enough for path?

BRS Pros:
-a faster read and it seems to flow better than Goljan
-end of chapter questions

RR Path Pros:
-pathology pics (Robbins Atlas is excellent for this)
-goes well with Goljan Audio
ALL that integration: biochem, pharm, anatomy, etc.

errata list:
http://www.healthsciences.okstate.edu/college/biomedical/pathology/goljan.cfm

For boards yes. BRS Path or RR Path are probably the most popular way to go if you are not taking Kaplan. I can't remember an instance where someone recommended anything else for path in the Step 1 forum. Go with whichever fits your style.

According to the responses in the meeting, this is still the policy. I personally haven't read the handbook on this topic, but it could easily be found there I'm sure.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was thinking of going to the meeting on Friday, and asking that the administration consider taking the average of all the OMM grades for the year. Then, if the average is not above passing, the studing remediates OMM at the end of the year. By using the average of all the OMM grades, a student who fails is getting help in what he/she actually NEEDS help in, instead of just repeating some arbitrary course that he/she already passed.

I don't understand how remediating the path, pharm, histo, etc for an entire course, such as endocrine, will help a student with their innominate bone diagnosis. Maybe they can enlighten me.

But, I am sure the request will just fall on deaf ears, so I don't even know if I should waste my time. Any opinions?

I was thinking of going to the meeting on Friday, and asking that the administration consider taking the average of all the OMM grades for the year. Then, if the average is not above passing, the studing remediates OMM at the end of the year. By using the average of all the OMM grades, a student who fails is getting help in what he/she actually NEEDS help in, instead of just repeating some arbitrary course that he/she already passed.

I don't understand how remediating the path, pharm, histo, etc for an entire course, such as endocrine, will help a student with their innominate bone diagnosis. Maybe they can enlighten me.

But, I am sure the request will just fall on deaf ears, so I don't even know if I should waste my time. Any opinions?
Yeah, don't screw up OMM! :laugh:

I'm the person who spoke at length about the OMM problem at the last meeting (as well as making Dr. Portanova red in the face by arguing that it's not fair to average the "average" of 3 exams as opposed to figuring out a grade based on the cumulative number of points).

I agree that OMM should count as its own course and it's not too late for them to make that change unless someone failed resp. and cardio last time solely on their OMM grade. If they changed the policy now they'd have to invite those kids back to school.

What time is this meeting on Friday? Perhaps I can go and speak to Dr. Scandalis...

I'm the person who spoke at length about the OMM problem at the last meeting (as well as making Dr. Portanova red in the face by arguing that it's not fair to average the "average" of 3 exams as opposed to figuring out a grade based on the cumulative number of points).

I agree that OMM should count as its own course and it's not too late for them to make that change unless someone failed resp. and cardio last time solely on their OMM grade. If they changed the policy now they'd have to invite those kids back to school.

What time is this meeting on Friday? Perhaps I can go and speak to Dr. Scandalis...

I definitely agree with everyone on this. Here are the problems I see them bringing up though: They would have the change the policy across the board, which would also include anatomy in the "practical" grade. This would bring up a problem as to, is anatomy it's own grade also? If so, are they capable of repeating and testing all of anatomy in the time slot alloted, and are there enough bodies/prossections left at the end of the year?

A solution I had would be to average the grades before determining the pass or fail. This would help out the people who only failed the written by 1 or 2 points, but got 100 on the practical, and it would also help out the people who honor the written, but fail the practical. yes, their grades would drop a few points, but it's better than repeating the entire course! Then maybe say you can't honor if you don't pass both individually, but at least you don't have to repeat!! Everyone else, it wouldn't affect them either way, because you're official grade is based on this average anyway.

I'm glad to hear that others agree...Gobiggreen, the meeting is at noon on friday.. you did a great job last time making the point clear, hopefully u can make it again this week if you are available..

Of all the changes they have made at NYCOM, I really hope this is one that they will take the students opinions seriously...the risk of losing all of that board study time (and money to remediate) because of one wrong diagnosis in TWO years (thats like 15 or so practical exams) is just too steep..

thanks for the input everyone

A solution I had would be to average the grades before determining the pass or fail. This would help out the people who only failed the written by 1 or 2 points, but got 100 on the practical, and it would also help out the people who honor the written, but fail the practical. yes, their grades would drop a few points, but it's better than repeating the entire course! Then maybe say you can't honor if you don't pass both individually, but at least you don't have to repeat!! Everyone else, it wouldn't affect them either way, because you're official grade is based on this average anyway.

wasn't this the idea on the petition that was passed around last week? I still like the idea.

Personally, I still think they should make the OMM practical its own separate entity for 2nd year. During 1st year, let them count anatomy with the written and keep the OMM separate. At least if someone fails a thread during 1st year they can make it up over the summer. During 2nd year it would cut into board studying and they're supposed to want us to do as well as possible on the boards, right?

I don't think OMM is a big deal this year. The average on the practicals were extremely high. I think they understand that it would cause a riot if someone failed OMM and passed the written. This is probably a whole lot of worrying about nothing. I do agree that its a stupid policy but I don't think anyone will fail OMM this year unless they do absolutely no preparation. And if you dont prepare thats your own fault.

That has been true but it may not be the case as we go along...

The sacrum is a very complex topic and will be easy to make mistakes on.

In addition to that...

what happens when we do cranial osteopathy? I can see a lot of people not doing well on that.

It's a little ridiculous that 1 test could determine whether or not you pass an entire thread.

I don't think OMM is a big deal this year. The average on the practicals were extremely high. I think they understand that it would cause a riot if someone failed OMM and passed the written. This is probably a whole lot of worrying about nothing. I do agree that its a stupid policy but I don't think anyone will fail OMM this year unless they do absolutely no preparation. And if you dont prepare thats your own fault.

My suggestion is more to help out the people who only failed the written by 1 or 2 points, but did really well on OMM. NYCOM is trying hard to put more emphasis on OMM, so why not make this change, and have it show for a little more. I'm sure there are several people who would not have failed out if OMM was averaged in before the pass/fail is decided.

I just think they should have counted resp./cardio as one unit more than anything. At least then, people who failed 2 exams would have another shot.

They need to do something though. Our class size I feel like is down under 240 if you include the DPC kids. That's crazy.

Although plasticman doesn't agree with every one of Dr. Scandalis' policies, I have to say that after his presentation to us today, I feel reassured that he is on our side. I think his 5 and 10 year plans for the future of NYCOM are what NYCOM should be working towards to become a bigger and better school. :thumbup:

anyone wanna summarize what was said today? im curious what bowtie has in store for good old nycom. and i hope 5 years from now i wont be embarrassed to say i graduated from there.

anyone wanna summarize what was said today? im curious what bowtie has in store for good old nycom. and i hope 5 years from now i wont be embarrassed to say i graduated from there.

yes, anyone go and have a summary?

unrealtedly, anyone know when we 2nd years get our next loan check???

I was there. His LONG term goals seem to be very favorable, and if everything does come through the way he says NYCOM will be a very prestigous institution one day. HOWEVER, he talk like a good politician, bascially beating around the bush. there were no concrete promises or timelines given. But his presentation did make me think that he is on our side, in the LONG run, and there it where it ends.

His Q/A part was horrible, he basically told us to ho f*** ourselves inregard to any problems. "you are going to be doctors so learn how to problem solve" was his solution for everything. Regarding the study room construciton he said that its basically b/c he has the money now and thats all, didnt seem to give a **** about us. why not in a few months when we are out of school? he just bullsh*ted around the answer and didnt have one.
Regarding the failing of OMM and by that failing the course, he said toughluck, you should study and quoted the high avg's. i agree with that, there shouldbe no reason someone fials omm but ppl have bad days and if theres a fellow you ever pissed off they can easily fail you. he did NOT care.

There was an issue brought up about a database of nycom grads and 3rd/4th years who are willing to answer q's about their rotation sites being set up so we can ask them q's about specific progs, but he basically said, "its nice, but it blah blah" and then "tlak to someone else(i think portnova)".

About the ezpasses someone had the balls to tell him straight up that if it was for security then the lecturers should get it also, he got redfaced, and didnt have anything to say besides basically admitting that "security" reason was bs and its really for attendance.

Some other stuff i dont remember. he didnt seem to give a **** abour our short term problems, that was my impression. i think more ppl should go next time, it can be usefull.

anyone know if we can get discounted prices for access to a local kaplan centers videos?

Also anyone know the dates of when the live lectures will be?

class of 2011 had 5000 applicants, 1000 interviewed, 300 matriculated, no number of acceptances given. 27 MCAT 3.5 gpa average. Made comments on competitiveness of NYCOM. Mentioned matches into high powered instuition of the last graduating class.

Mentioned the number of NYIT sites worldwide. I was afraid he was going to unleash a masterplan on overtaking Touro in number of med schools, but that never happened. Are they going to Jordan to visit an NYIT site with the AOA president who will try to get DO rights to practice there?

Stated Hofstra will only start with about 30 students when they open in 5 years. Comment was made about the hospital over there and NYCOM penetration being low. Touro-NY has a noncompete clause with NYCOM and is not allowed to intefere with established clerkships already in place.

he also brought up NUMC still being interested in being our home instituition. currently there is a learning center being built on the top floor. ICCs will be included??? sounds odd if we are already getting more ICC rooms on campus. Maye I made a mistake. The Learning center would help with education and community.

also he is hoping that NYCOM grads take more of an interest in the future. He is trying to raise $1mln dollars via this route (no need to comment on Dr. Evil here muwhahaahaa).

He has a 10 year plan to increase the strength of NYCOM in the research department. He feels that we should focus on certain areas such as neuromuscular disorders and feel that we can be the leader in Nassau county on a clinical level as well. Translational research from the bench research at NYCOM would be the goal. This will lead to more prestige for our school via publications. The research facilities we have now is being remodelled so that we can use the space more effectively. In year 5 of this plan I beleive he stated there will be an expansion of the research space as we increase the number of scientists working at NYCOM. Currently the community does come to NYCOM for OMM and neuromusclar problems (forgot if he mentioned parkinson's or stroke or was more general) but numbers will hopefully increase.

We have recruited someone from Mt. Sinai to help advance research in the pre-doctoral years at NYCOM.

NYCOM needs to take a bigger role in healthcare in the immediate community. More prominent signage is needed since our school is something that is easy to drive by. It will raise community awareness of the school.

We have some NYCOM interest sitting on the NYIT board. So NYCOM now has a voice in NYIT matters. No idea how long this has been case.

NYCOM has been school as lender for 1 year now and NYCOM is now able to give out scholarships. Possibly tuition will be partially subsidized in the future from the money earned in the program.

He feels that one day mandatory attendance will not be in place because we will have improved the ability of the small number of faculty that does not inspire the masses to attend their lecture in the same manner as the core of our lecturers. Soon we will have all of our lecturers meeting a standard that will fill the seats without mandatory attendance.

Lots of great goals for NYCOM in the long term, but anything we were interested in resolving in the current year was met with a either "we will look into it" or "I don't think so".

correct any mistakes I made. My memory is not so hot. when i stated "made comments on" means i forgot the details so hopefully someone might fill it in.

His math is a little skewed on the competitiveness. He said 5000 applied, 300 matriculated giving around ~6.5% acceptance rate; however that is not the acceptance rate, but rather the matriculation rate. Out of the 1000 NYCOM interviewed, did they offer an acceptance to almost every one or only 300? If they offerred 1000 acceptances(1 to each interviewee), but 700 students chose to go elsewhere, then the acceptance rate suddenly goes to 20%, not 6.5%! My GUESS would be they accept about 2/3 of the interviewees, which means it would be somewhere in the middle, around 13% acceptance rate. I HIGHLY doubt they only offered 300 acceptances out of 1000 interviews. I wish someone would have thought to ask him the actual number of acceptances offerred to the 1000 interviewed. :(

I believe he was referring to MCAT and GPA stats as far as competiveness. I did not see an attempt to misrepresent anything as he never gave any acceptance rates or numbers. also the MCAT was a 27 not a 27.0 so that is probably a rounded number...

I believe he was referring to MCAT and GPA stats as far as competiveness. I did not see an attempt to misrepresent anything as he never gave any acceptance rates or numbers. also the MCAT was a 27 not a 27.0 so that is probably a rounded number...
I could have sworn he either said or had written on his powerpoint "~6.5% acceptance rate." Perhaps I was mistaken. :confused:

I could have sworn he either said or had written on his powerpoint "~6.5% acceptance rate." Perhaps I was mistaken. :confused:

He did say that. I said the same thing, like, well, they didn't only accept 300 students, that's jsut all that came. I just felt that bringing this up would have no benefit, so i didn't bother. I've lost my will to fight.

They could not have possibly just accepted 300 students. They have to accept 2x or 3X the amount of students bc a lot of people get acceptances to other schools and choose to go over there.
The guy is full of hot air in terms of his numbers and his goals. If he really wants to raise all this money for research the smartest investment he could possibly make is to be nice and respectful to us so that once we graduate he'll have some alumni donations to look forwards to. But the way he brushes of all of our demands there is no way I will give NYCOM a cent of my hard earned cash.

They could not have possibly just accepted 300 students. They have to accept 2x or 3X the amount of students bc a lot of people get acceptances to other schools and choose to go over there.
The guy is full of hot air in terms of his numbers and his goals. If he really wants to raise all this money for research the smartest investment he could possibly make is to be nice and respectful to us so that once we graduate he'll have some alumni donations to look forwards to. But the way he brushes of all of our demands there is no way I will give NYCOM a cent of my hard earned cash.
I know he can come off a little cold at times, but I think that is just his personality. I really believe he is on our side. The reason he doesn't want to be bothered with all the small things (for example that 1st year who went on and on about mandatory attendance with boring lecturers and also not getting his notes in his mailbox on time) is because he has larger issues to worry about. Honestly, middle management like Dr. Bryant should be handling small issues like note printing, not the Dean. How is he supposed to know if you didn't get your notes or not? LOL. This weekend the Dean had to go before the re-accreditation board, so you can see how he could be preoccupied. Being able to grant degrees is kinda important...

They need to come up with a ten year plan to lower tutition...Has anybody looked at their total loan amounts lately :scared:

I can't imagine what its going to cost to go to medical school or even college in the coming years.

They need to come up with a ten year plan to lower tutition...Has anybody looked at their total loan amounts lately :scared:

I can't imagine what its going to cost to go to medical school or even college in the coming years.
This was brought up by a student. The dean responded by saying the gov't is not likely to step in and do something, b/c the public does not have sympathy for "rich doctors". He said in the future, he hopes NYCOM can help subsidize education and brought up the fact that last year was the first year NYCOM was a school as a lender program and was able to offer scholarships to students for the first time in its history.

Format for OMM practical is up...pretty much as expected except for the end... seems we have to diagnose a case associated with the chapman's points, including GI, GU, gallbladder and liver..that should be interesting considering we haven't studied those systems yet...hopefully they'll be really obvious diseases.

i can't wait for break.

hey guys,

so the issue w/ peak troponin levels - robbins says troponin peaks @ 48 hrs post MI; goljan says 24 hrs post MI. I did a FA question that indicated the answer was 24 hrs. did you guys get a clarification on this?

does anyone else notice that omm practicals are severely flawed in standardization. its blatantly obvious that grade outcomes are highly dependent on which physician or fellow is assessing the student. There is far too much variability in "grader harshness" for the omm portion to have anywhere near the worth of 25% of our exam score. thoughts?

does anyone else notice that omm practicals are severely flawed in standardization. its blatantly obvious that grade outcomes are highly dependent on which physician or fellow is assessing the student. There is far too much variability in "grader harshness" for the omm portion to have anywhere near the worth of 25% of our exam score. thoughts?

I've never seen girls dress so skank before in hopes of getting certain evaluators ;)

Does anyone know when rotations begin? June or July?

Does anyone know when rotations begin? June or July?

I've heard June 30th. We're normally the first Monday in July I think but that's the 4th this year so they made it sooner rather than later? I don't know if this is true or not, its just what's been going around on the NYCOM rumor mill.

So. The time has come again, to say goodnight to this part of your continued saga. It continues here, in a part 3 already prepared for your musings.

:)
-Shy

Status
Not open for further replies.