*** Official NSU-COM Class of 2012 ***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am a little late to the game but I just found out today that I will be going to the NSU, C/O 2012, wow it feels like I have been in school forever. Any way I interviewed on 01/29/08 and they called today, they said that the acceptance packet would have deposit information, I was just looking for a heads up. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I am a little late to the game but I just found out today that I will be going to the NSU, C/O 2012, wow it feels like I have been in school forever. Any way I interviewed on 01/29/08 and they called today, they said that the acceptance packet would have deposit information, I was just looking for a heads up. Thanks in advance.

Congrat's on your acceptance! Can't wait to meet you in July. As to the packet, I know some of us have had problems getting those in a timely manner. I got the call in early December and still haven't recieved the actual packet in the mail. I finally had to ask them to fax the contents to me the middle of January. That being said, you can pay your deposit over the phone via credit card, and they'll send you a paper receipt in a week. Rachel's assistant Linda can even do that for you. It was broken up into a first payment of $750 in January, and then a second of $1250 due March 15th. I'm sure if you call Rachel or Linda can let you know what your deadlines are. Hope that helps and congratulations again!!

How are people going about finding places to live/roommates?

I currently live out of state, and would like to find a roommate and a 2Bed/2Bath place to share within walking distance or short ride of the school.

Perhaps a current student or soon to be student could provide some insight into how to find a roommate and a decent place to live? Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
TB,

Check out:

NSU Roomate Finder: http://roommate.och101.com/nova/

NSU Apartment Finder: http://nova.och101.com/

Off-campus Housing Guide: http://www.nova.edu/reslife/offcampus/forms/offcampus_guide.pdf

Graduate Housing: http://www.nova.edu/reslife/oncampus/graduate.html

These are straight off of a discussion board posting on our facebook group page. Take a look if you get a chance, there's a lot of info posted.
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=26917140472

Congratulations and I look forward to meeting you!
:D

M2 here...i would recommend finding a roommate that is either in the COM..or in HPD at the very least. having a roommate is much cheaper..as 1 br approach 900-1100/month ..while 2/2 usually go for 12-1400/mo..plus u split utilities in half..

however..i did know quite a few of my classmates where they actually changed roommates during the first year...just cuz they couldnt make it work out. so maybe it may be better to live by yourself for first year..and then find friends..and live w/ a roomate for M2/M3 ..

I have had roommates first and 2nd year..and my rent for 1st year was 640..and this year im paying 500/mo ..so rooomates = good.

if you need help in finding housing...the class of 2011 facebook group is pretty helpful..as it has pictures of various complexes w/ pros/cons to them.

best of luck..and congrats.

Did everyone get that e-mail yesterday from NSU about the second deposit being due?

I'm just wondering if they sent out a mass e-mail to everyone or only those missing a deposit/documents.

Did everyone get that e-mail yesterday from NSU about the second deposit being due?

I'm just wondering if they sent out a mass e-mail to everyone or only those missing a deposit/documents.

I would imagine that went out to everyone. I recieved it and had already paid my deposit.

Hey, any idea how many sets of scrubs we should order?

Hey, any idea how many sets of scrubs we should order?

It probably depends on how often you're planning to wear them and how you're going to wear them. If you're going to wear scrubs all day everyday then you'll probably want 4-5 pairs (assuming you do laundry about once a week) plus a cheap pair for anatomy. If you wear a t-shirt under your scrub top or you are planning to wear "nice" clothes regularly or if you're only going to wear the scrubs to class and then go home and change into other clothes...you could probably get away with less. Also, you could always buy like two or three pairs of bottoms and then a bunch of tops.

In sort...I'd say at LEAST three full pairs +1 for anatomy...then go up from there depending on how much you plan on wearing them.

Nate.

I'm pumped.....5 months.

Man, I'm so pumped to go. I wish classes started now. I've been out of school since last June and I can't take it anymore.

Just had a question. Where's everyone in terms of the preStart stuff. Like immunizations, physical and all that. I'm going to finish the immunizations and physical this coming week. And in terms of the background check, I have no idea where the form is for that. Can anyone direct me to where it is?

Congratulations to all of you coming to NSU! You guys are going to have a great time in South Florida with the awesome weather and beaches. Enjoy your summer before you have to buckle down!

Members don't see this ad :)
WAHOOO!

hehe. I can post here now :)

I just got accepted on Friday and I'm soooooooooooo excited!

So, um, Hi!:love:

...Robz...is your avitar the Haunted Mansion????

Man, I'm so pumped to go. I wish classes started now. I've been out of school since last June and I can't take it anymore.

Just had a question. Where's everyone in terms of the preStart stuff. Like immunizations, physical and all that. I'm going to finish the immunizations and physical this coming week. And in terms of the background check, I have no idea where the form is for that. Can anyone direct me to where it is?

I had my last physical in May 2007, so I'm just gonna get all of that done again in May this year. I have no idea about those background check forms either.

why yes it is the haunted mansion. I worked there before in a past life :)

why yes it is the haunted mansion. I worked there before in a past life :)

Aw! I got to pick between "where hinges creek in doorless chambers" and the kilimanjaro safari (I work at WDW). I picked the safari b/c I didn't want to crosstrain for all of liberty square.

I just found this forum. I was accepted into m2012 at NSU in December. So exciting! :)

Congrats, to all the newly accepted...

A little advice, don't worry about the little stuff right now... you will all have plenty of time to get scrubs, equipment, etc. during orientation. So enjoy the time you have now. And I mean enjoy it...

I think white coats are the only thing you really need to get ahead of time, but not until this summer.

I recommend a roommate in hpd as well.

OK...so just to make sure I understood the e-mail from Dr. Whitehead right:
We're going to be required to have a laptop. They're going to get us a deal on one that will come all pre-loaded with all the software they're going to be using, BUT if we don't want to get that one, its ok as long as whatever we get can run the software they're going to require?
Oh, and we won't know any REAL details until later in MAY!

Bugger! This is becoming complicated!

OK...so just to make sure I understood the e-mail from Dr. Whitehead right:
We're going to be required to have a laptop. They're going to get us a deal on one that will come all pre-loaded with all the software they're going to be using, BUT if we don't want to get that one, its ok as long as whatever we get can run the software they're going to require?
Oh, and we won't know any REAL details until later in MAY!

Bugger! This is becoming complicated!

I know OH MY GOD you'll only have THREE MONTHS to figure out how to respond WHAT WILL YOU DO?!?!?!??!?

I for one will be showing up with my sweet-*** lenovo x61 and ain't nobody touching it. They can tell me what I have to install and then hand me a disc or an URL.

I know OH MY GOD you'll only have THREE MONTHS to figure out how to respond WHAT WILL YOU DO?!?!?!??!?

I for one will be showing up with my sweet-*** lenovo x61 and ain't nobody touching it. They can tell me what I have to install and then hand me a disc or an URL.

I'll preface this with I don't know much about computers....
But,how do you know that machine will run what they want it to?

I'll preface this with I don't know much about computers....
But,how do you know that machine will run what they want it to?

My machine is a year-old, uncustomized stock tablet PC that has Vista on it. And I was a software engineer at the evil empire for 15 years, so I'm cocky.

Since Nova's aiming to buy Dells, I know we're not required to get a Mac.

Since it's REALLY hard to get a new machine without Vista on it, particularly in a group package deal, I assume Vista's going to be okay.

If we all have to be on XP, I can figure that out. Vista lets you run a virtual XP session (here you probably fall asleep).

If there's a piece of hardware required, which is a fringe case, it will be a peripheral (like USB etc.) or the Dell deal wouldn't work. Making Dell put a piece of hardware into a laptop means a lot of extra cost and overhead, times 250 students, and then they'd require EVERYBODY to have the custom machine.

Thinking it through I'm about 85% confident. This will be like having to run "Nova for Windows version 1" and there are 3 scary terms in that product name.

My machine is a year-old, uncustomized stock tablet PC that has Vista on it. And I was a software engineer at the evil empire for 15 years, so I'm cocky.

Fair enough.

So, since you seem to be a lot better with computers then I am...can you tell me how to disable my keyboard on my dell laptop? something's wrong with it and my computer constantly thinks the ctrl key is being held down, when it isn't. I've cleaned under the keyboard to no avil and it's not a "sticky key" because those are disabled.

It's extremely annoying. Any ideas? I have a USB keyboard to use, but I can't figureout how to turn the built in one off.

Fair enough.

So, since you seem to be a lot better with computers then I am...can you tell me how to disable my keyboard on my dell laptop? something's wrong with it and my computer constantly thinks the ctrl key is being held down, when it isn't. I've cleaned under the keyboard to no avil and it's not a "sticky key" because those are disabled.

It's extremely annoying. Any ideas? I have a USB keyboard to use, but I can't figureout how to turn the built in one off.

Yeah, this is why I left software engineering.

I suggest you get on Dell's support website (http://support.dell.com). I can almost guarantee that somebody else had the problem and that a solution is in the forum somewhere.

Yeah, this is why I left software engineering.

I suggest you get on Dell's support website (http://support.dell.com). I can almost guarantee that somebody else had the problem and that a solution is in the forum somewhere.

Dell just tells me that I'm mistaken, and that the key is stuck (even when I take it off).

They're awesome like that.
:thumbup:

Dell just tells me that I'm mistaken, and that the key is stuck (even when I take it off).

They're awesome like that.
:thumbup:

Seriously, search the website. You'll find info there. The phone support folks in Hyderabad have to read from a script and no, they can't really help you.

*LOL* Fair enough...mainly its that the damn Dell laptop I have right now was on its last leg...oh about a year ago when I sent it in to have the MB replaced for the SECOND time! So, I'd kinda like a nice X61 of my own!! Or maybe a Fujitsu T4220!

I was kinda along the same lines of thinking as you about software/hardware requirements and just hazarding a guess that it'll work out. My only question now is...can I get all the software to run under Wine so I don't have to leave Windows on there?!?

Nate.

I bought a MacBook a few months ago. Do you think everything (software) will have some sort of compatibility with my MacBook? It would suck not being able to run all the programs....or buy another laptop just for that reason.

I have spoken with one of you... but I wanted to also get a general agreement...

Has everyone completed their FAFSA... and is waiting on NSU to send us the Stafford loan info in May? Have any of you selected from their Preferred Provider list for the additional loans (if you need them?)

I called the FA office... and the lady said to wait on getting loans from Sallie Mae, Bank of America, etc, until late May... something to do with only have 90 days from when the loan is processed to starting school? Any idea which lender might be the best, in this economic situation the US is in currently?

Any comments?

Want to make sure I'm not missing any deadlines for loans!

Thanks NSU c/o 2012! Can't wait to meet ya'll!

Also... when are you all moving towards Fort Lauderdale? I'm thinking of my last day being July 15 at work... and being moved by July 20. Will that give me enough time to get stuff for my apt before Med Start?

I have spoken with one of you... but I wanted to also get a general agreement...

Has everyone completed their FAFSA... and is waiting on NSU to send us the Stafford loan info in May? Have any of you selected from their Preferred Provider list for the additional loans (if you need them?)

I called the FA office... and the lady said to wait on getting loans from Sallie Mae, Bank of America, etc, until late May... something to do with only have 90 days from when the loan is processed to starting school? Any idea which lender might be the best, in this economic situation the US is in currently?

Any comments?

Want to make sure I'm not missing any deadlines for loans!

Thanks NSU c/o 2012! Can't wait to meet ya'll!

Also... when are you all moving towards Fort Lauderdale? I'm thinking of my last day being July 15 at work... and being moved by July 20. Will that give me enough time to get stuff for my apt before Med Start?

I got my FAFSA filed in late January, and have been waiting for Nova to send out info ever since! Two days ago they posted ECA on Webstar and put a link available for our Staford Loan entrance interview. Unfortunately, the link doesn't work for me...so I've been on hold waiting to talk to someone for...36 minutes now!

As for moving...I'm probably leaving early in the second week of July and hopefully will be there between the 9th and the 11th.

Nate.

I got my FAFSA filed in late January, and have been waiting for Nova to send out info ever since! Two days ago they posted ECA on Webstar and put a link available for our Staford Loan entrance interview. Unfortunately, the link doesn't work for me...so I've been on hold waiting to talk to someone for...36 minutes now!

As for moving...I'm probably leaving early in the second week of July and hopefully will be there between the 9th and the 11th.

Nate.

http://www.nova.edu/cwis/finaid/interview.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraMedicX

Nate.
-----------
http://www.nova.edu/cwis/finaid/interview.html
I called them about the interview too. I was told to fill out the Stafford entrance interview.

Yup! Thanks guys, I eventually found my way there...still lame that they made a link that didn't work...

Since Nova's aiming to buy Dells, I know we're not required to get a Mac.

Since it's REALLY hard to get a new machine without Vista on it, particularly in a group package deal, I assume Vista's going to be okay.

If we all have to be on XP, I can figure that out. Vista lets you run a virtual XP session (here you probably fall asleep).

If there's a piece of hardware required, which is a fringe case, it will be a peripheral (like USB etc.) or the Dell deal wouldn't work. Making Dell put a piece of hardware into a laptop means a lot of extra cost and overhead, times 250 students, and then they'd require EVERYBODY to have the custom machine.

Thinking it through I'm about 85% confident. This will be like having to run "Nova for Windows version 1" and there are 3 scary terms in that product name.

DrMidlife, I have the same x61 tablet and I've been in love with the hardware. I've been running Linux on it (Ubuntu) for the better part of a year to good effect. I'm optimistic that I won't have to go back to using Vista during the school year with it. Since a good number of students use Macs without issue, there's hopefully not a lot of OS-specific software involved. I'll be meeting up with some of my M1/M2 friends in the coming weeks and seeing how the required software complement plays for me in Linux.

That said, hey guys. My name's KK, and I'll be in the NSUCOM Class of 2012 also! I've lived and worked and played all around the US, but I hail most recently from Portland, OR. I'm presently living in Plantation until my lease at Palm Trace Landing starts in June. If you're going to be visiting the school or the area before school starts, feel free to PM me and get in touch!

Hi everyone! Just wondering if you guys got an email from Dr. Whitehead today regarding the new D.O/D.M.D program? I guess its a 6 year combined program between the College of Osteopathic Medicine and College of Dentistry. I was wondering if any of you had heard any pro's or con's about the program and if any of you were inerested in it? Looking forward to seeing you guys in the Fall!!

Thanks!

Hey guys,

I am a recent Nova grad who has a condo for rent by school. It is a 2 bed/ 2bath large place with an awesome screened in patio, and playground nearby. It is a great place for a small family or two roomates who want to live in a quiet neighborhood. Email me if you are intrested in more info, rent is reasonable and negotiable.

Thanks,
Jay ([email protected])

Hi everyone! Just wondering if you guys got an email from Dr. Whitehead today regarding the new D.O/D.M.D program? I guess its a 6 year combined program between the College of Osteopathic Medicine and College of Dentistry. I was wondering if any of you had heard any pro's or con's about the program and if any of you were inerested in it? Looking forward to seeing you guys in the Fall!!

Thanks!

I'm class of 2011, and there was one fellow who was enrolled in it, then decided to withdraw for the following reasons:

- You'd have to take the medical AND dental boards. If you also want to take the USMLEs, that means you'd be doing 3 board exams!

- The cost. You'll be forking over ~35k for 6 years, instead of 4.

I personally would not want to do something like this. Med and dentistry are demanding enough programs on their own without being combined.

Also, I hope you guys are aware that your curriculum is undergoing a complete overhaul, meaning that you will actually see a more systems based curriculum. Personally, I think it's for the best, but you guys are going to be the guinea pigs while they sort out the kinks in the curriculum.

I'm class of 2011, and there was one fellow who was enrolled in it, then decided to withdraw for the following reasons:

- You'd have to take the medical AND dental boards. If you also want to take the USMLEs, that means you'd be doing 3 board exams!

- The cost. You'll be forking over ~35k for 6 years, instead of 4.

I personally would not want to do something like this. Med and dentistry are demanding enough programs on their own without being combined.

Also, I hope you guys are aware that your curriculum is undergoing a complete overhaul, meaning that you will actually see a more systems based curriculum. Personally, I think it's for the best, but you guys are going to be the guinea pigs while they sort out the kinks in the curriculum.

I have a question--which may be dumb, but i still don't know the answer---are there really doctor-dentists that practice as both? I have never seen one, so I'm sorry if this is a stupid question. I just can't imagine being able to have a life if you're a doctor and a dentist. And what happens come residency time?

Also--cheap scrubs http://www.allheart.com/scrubsets.html... they might look a little welfare but hey, it's not fashion hour right?:thumbup:

I have a question--which may be dumb, but i still don't know the answer---are there really doctor-dentists that practice as both? I have never seen one, so I'm sorry if this is a stupid question. I just can't imagine being able to have a life if you're a doctor and a dentist. And what happens come residency time?

Also--cheap scrubs http://www.allheart.com/scrubsets.html... they might look a little welfare but hey, it's not fashion hour right?:thumbup:

I believe this program was started because they had one student a few years ago who was from South America and wanted to return home and practice as both a physician and dentist. This programs allows a faster track to complete both training programs. Obviously this combination would be highly unusual in the over-specialized United States.

The majority of DDS/MD or DMD/MD in the United States are dentists who earned their MD degree during an oral/maxillofacial (OMFS) surgery residency. They take usually second-year level coursework and do rotations with MD students. You will see a lot of these people expand their oral/maxillofacial training to do cosmetic surgery including liposuction, breast augmentation, etc. Although Nova currently has an oral/maxillofacial surgery residency, it does not grant the D.O. degree.

Hey everyone..does anyone know if guys have to take off their shirts COMPLETELY for OMM? Or can we leave on our undershirts or simply wear a t-shirt??

Thanks...

Hey everyone..does anyone know if guys have to take off their shirts COMPLETELY for OMM? Or can we leave on our undershirts or simply wear a t-shirt??

Thanks...

It depends on the lab. For some of them, you will have to take off your shirt completely, whereas with others, you wouldn't have to take anything off. The same thing goes for your clinical practicum labs.

hey Guys I have an awesome 2 bed, 2.5 bath, 2 story townhouse ONE BLOCK from NSU and for cheap rent compared to the surrounding neighborhoods. 1200 includes basic cable.

email if interested [email protected]. thanks.

hey Guys I have an awesome 2 bed, 2.5 bath, 2 story townhouse ONE BLOCK from NSU and for cheap rent compared to the surrounding neighborhoods. 1200 includes basic cable.

email if interested [email protected]. thanks i'll send pics at your request

Has anyone seen a current book list for the incoming class? The one posted on the website is for 2006.
Thanks.

Hey everyone! I just got accepted to NSU!! Does anyone know of apartments by the school?

Congrats on your acceptance.

Palm Trace Landings and Sunforest are two I would look at. Those are very close to school. Make sure to join the facebook group!

Sundance is even closer than sunforest or palm trace. It's literally across the street, and a 5 minute walk from class.