Official MCW Class of 2009 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Seriously. I'm getting annoyed.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ashers, this is for you. To not know the greatest that is Led Zeppelin is a tragedy. Once I figure out how to embed youtube, that is.

why am I ******ed and cannot post youtube videos like the average 3rd grader?

and I was not going to post stairway to heaven. they have MANY more hits than that.

so you had your family med osce? My immediate feedback from the fakers was drastically different than the final grade I got for the osce. oh well.

What do you have next?
Yeah, I thought the OSCE went fine, but who knows what that means with regard to my actual performance.

I'm doing my emergency elective, I'm assuming at Froedtert. Orientation tomorrow at Froedtert.

Yeah, I thought the OSCE went fine, but who knows what that means with regard to my actual performance.

I'm doing my emergency elective, I'm assuming at Froedtert. Orientation tomorrow at Froedtert.

Is Sharpless or Begaz the head honcho for you guys? Or someone else?

Is Sharpless or Begaz the head honcho for you guys? Or someone else?
Not sure yet. I guess I'll find out in a few hours. Thanks for all the info, btw.

they really front-loaded my month - my two classmates each have 2 shifts this week, and I've got five, with only seven more for the rest of the month. I think I might sleep in a call room tomorrow night, since I have to come back for grand rounds 7 hours after my shift ends.

akpete, I'm impressed how you memorized this word for word

baconflowchart.jpg

YOU FOUND THE BACON FLOW CHART!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

life is good

Members don't see this ad :)
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWlUu54muOs[/YOUTUBE]

You may request one of the following sites, Children's/VA Hospital, or
Froedtert Hospital.
So, for RPM (CPR for you class of '09ers), is there any advantage to doing one over the other? I'd kind of like to see a few peds surgeries, and I've heard that students can do more at the VA, so would that be a good one?

So, for RPM (CPR for you class of '09ers), is there any advantage to doing one over the other? I'd kind of like to see a few peds surgeries, and I've heard that students can do more at the VA, so would that be a good one?

I was at Froedtert and got all that was required, but at the same time felt like I didn't get to do a ton. Days ended fairly early though.

Some attendings let you do quite a bit at Children's once the kids are asleep. I got to intubate a couple of very little kids and start (or attempt to start) a bunch of IV's. At the VA, they use lidocaine with the IV starts, so you don't have to worry about hurting people so much if those old vets have lousy veins. Some of the attendings at Children's are kinder than others, though.

It's probably a wash between them. A bonus of the VA, if someone is interested at all in anesthesia, is that Dr. Ebert is there and occasionally in the OR. And some of the interviewers for residency are peds anesthesia attendings.

Oh, my God. Gimlet and Funk and anyone else with a working spouse - TurboTax (and the IRS website) is telling me that MCW is in the "Midwestern Disaster Area," which increases the Lifetime Learning Tax Credit from $2000 to $4000. Is this for serious? I didn't even know about this disaster area....

http://www.irs.gov/irb/2008-50_IRB/ar10.html

Last edited by a moderator:
from the flooding back in June

i'm guessing it's based on where you live, but i haven't looked into it being that i don't really have an income.

YOU FOUND THE BACON FLOW CHART!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

life is good

This is part of a description for a woot-off item (Flavored Bacon Salt):

Bacon Whoopee

What’s that you’re eating? A chocolate eclair? A bean and cheese burrito? Peach yogurt? Pan-seared salmon with buckwheat soba noodles? Whatever it is, we know what you’re saying to yourself right now:

“This would be so much better if it tasted like bacon.”

Just wanted to say best of luck to everyone now that our match lists are finalized. Hope you all get your #1!!

Roll call! Where's everyone at for March? Dermatology for me.

Medicine sub-I at St. Joe's...really hating that you can't work around the internet filter there any more.

Me either...he's a cardiac guy, right? It would definitely be cool to see a couple hearts during your rotation.

I saw Turner a couple times back in July on my rotation in the West ORs. We took over a neuro case he was sitting in when peeps were getting out at the beginning of call. Don't remember other cases I saw him in, but they weren't cardiac. All my cardiac cases were with Plambeck, who is awesome.

in 2 weeks some robot decides where you'll spend the next 5 years of your life. crazy.

oh, ashers, I realized who you were on the last week of last month. I would've waved or said hi instead of being stupid. sorry. woo internal medicine.

in 2 weeks some robot decides where you'll spend the next 5 years of your life. crazy.

I guarantee you that a robot had it figured out within a day of all our lists being finalized last week.

And for me it's only 3 years. Whoo.

oh, ashers, I realized who you were on the last week of last month. I would've waved or said hi instead of being stupid. sorry. woo internal medicine.

Were you on Med Team 3? I was gonna ask the M4 to ask you "Are you indo?" But I thought that'd be too strange and too much explaining.

Were you on Med Team 3? I was gonna ask the M4 to ask you "Are you indo?" But I thought that'd be too strange and too much explaining.

Yeah, team 3. Does he post on here?

When you all did your 4th year rotation draft pick, how many classes did you "rank"? Whats-her-name said to pick over 100 classes and "be flexible" in order to have a complete schedule. I have several months that I have minimal flexibility and for the remainder of the year I just picked any classes that I thought were even remotely interesting. Any advice?

Yeah, team 3. Does he post on here?

When you all did your 4th year rotation draft pick, how many classes did you "rank"? Whats-her-name said to pick over 100 classes and "be flexible" in order to have a complete schedule. I have several months that I have minimal flexibility and for the remainder of the year I just picked any classes that I thought were even remotely interesting. Any advice?

Don't think he does. Which is why it might've taken too much explaining and been a bit too random.

I think I had 65 ranks on mine. I should've added more electives, but it didn't end up making a difference. Technically, you can just put all the classes on your preferred list, and that just means if you make changes to your schedule later, it doesn't have to go through your advisor. I didn't put Allergy and Immunology on mine, so before I could officially be put in it when I changed my schedule earlier this year, my advisor had the chance to deny it. If they don't do anything for 72 hours, you're in. It just takes more time, and it's stupid because you can pick any class you want after the lottery.

I got every class I wanted, but in months that I didn't. I was one of the people with an incomplete schedule after the lottery... I didn't have anything in July, and I was working on an away rotation.

What are you planning on going into? That makes a difference in the first few months and ideal vacation months.

my advice wouldn't probably mean much. i had june for 4th year, so my surgery sub-i was already scheduled. so when i put my fam med sub-i for october as my #1 lottery option, it was a lock, and everything fell into place after that. i got everything i wanted when i wanted it. except i got VA MICU instead of Froedtert, but that was a blessing in disguise.

the lottery is like one ginormous logic problem, and i like those, and i like to sit and plan things out for hours - my nerdy side i guess - so i really liked planning the whole thing out. i had it on excel and everything.

you kinda have to decide which is more important - the courses you have or the month you have them. which changes throughout the year. it's probably gonna be more important in the first few months of 4th year that you get certain rotations. therefore the ranks for those months may be limited. later in the year, you may decide that its more important to have a rotation that is light with weekends off, regardless of the subject-matter. so you'll have more ranks for those months.

then you have to decide how you're gonna intermingle them in the overall list. i put all my options for my med sub-i first so i knew it'd be covered. once the computer places you in a category of rotation other than elective, it'll skip all those similar after that. so once i got my #1 rank, it skipped all the way down to like #15 on my list.

in the end, either you'll get what you want or you won't. i don't think there's any more fair way to do it, regardless of how a lot of people in my class complained last year. i think what makes people most pissed off is when someone gets something in july and is not interested in that field and someone who's applying to that field gets the shaft. so don't be a dick and rank rotations in july and august if you're not actually considering that field.

it's pretty easy to change things after the lottery too like ashers said. and don't underestimate the wait lists for rotations. i originally had ortho research in july and needed to get an anesthesiology rotation in once i decided to switch. i put myself on the waitlists for rotations and got lucky. and so as soon as a spot opened up, i got a page or phone call and was instantly scheduled into that rotation. so it was automatic and i didn't have to stalk oasis.

i think that's all. any questions, just ask.

I was on waitlists for different rotations, especially for sub-Is and ambulatory medicine earlier, and i didn't get pulled off any. I think you can only be on 3 at a time, so as each month passed, I adjusted it.

i'm guessing waitlist movement is higher for electives rather than required things. i think once people get sub-i or ambulatory med in certain months, they're not gonna budge.

i think that was probably another point in my favor - ambulatory medicine. this seemed to be a scheduling problem for a lot of people. i had outpatient med in 3rd year, so i had a number of options for inpatient med which equals more scheduling flexibility.

i'm guessing waitlist movement is higher for electives rather than required things. i think once people get sub-i or ambulatory med in certain months, they're not gonna budge.

i think that was probably another point in my favor - ambulatory medicine. this seemed to be a scheduling problem for a lot of people. i had outpatient med in 3rd year, so i had a number of options for inpatient med which equals more scheduling flexibility.

But if you do outpatient your M3 year, you have to do the inpatient M4 year. I enjoyed shadowing for a month; I didn't do an ENTIRE H&P on the rotation (at my main general medicine office... I did at my sub-specialty office, about 1 per day, so 3)... I did parts of some, usually having to do with MS complaints. I at least had it in December (shorter because of holidays), I had some issues scheduling interviews, but I got to go to the ones I was invited. My attending was super cool and let me leave early because of bad weather.

during my ambulatory month i did a lot more than just shadow.

if you have inpatient m4 year you can do icu, neph, cards, neoplastic. which i would much rather do than another month of general wards.

i had icu at the va. there was a point in the month where we did not have any patients. the most we had, as a team was i think 5 and 1 consult. there was a fellow, 2 residents, an intern, and 2 m4s. we went out for lunch frequently. one sunny day we took a self-guided tour of the va grounds. not exactly strenuous. but i did learn some critical care in there too. :)

there are pros and cons to both options, but i just wanna point out that having inpatient 4th year does not automatically make it more difficult.

So what do you do on an integrated selective? Does anyone care how you do on it? and should I do an integrated selective on something that I plan to do or something that complements what I plan to do?

what I'm getting at is that Dr. Brasel told us that if you're planning on surgery, you shouldn't really take any surgery electives as an M4, so does that apply to int. selective too?

What I don't get is why people WANT to do so much stuff that they'll be doing for the rest of their lives. MCW's rule of no more than 1 elective in whichever specialty you're going into is a blessing in disguise. Sucks for specialties like ortho where they expect you to do more aways, but then I said "my school only lets me do 2 in the same specialty." I figured M4 year would be for stuff in which I'm interested or stuff that would be helpful that I wouldn't necessarily see. It also makes for an easier M4 year.

I did pain management. I thought it was good for learning how to write scripts and manage narcotics, pain meds, etc. It'll be good for my future career, and they sure don't do that in ortho; it was an anesthesia rotation.

My top choice was master clinician. On pain management I had to work 9-5 days 5 days a week, but they let me off for a day, so I could fly to Arizona for homecoming.

There are some IS's where you work more, and some where you work a lot less. I'd rather enjoy it and work more, than do something like Health Policy where I'd probably stab my eyes out.

Definitely do an ICU rotation. Do it do it do it. Preferably at Froedtert. I learned a ton.