OFFICIAL Loyola Stritch SOM class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
AngelaK - Angela
azstealth - Allison
clowden - Chris
Ekamenet - Eric
Flopotomist - Derrick
jbrice1639 - Jason
mln - Melissa
Prevalent - Tara

Members don't see this ad.

Can anyone tell me what they received in the packet of stuff that Loyola sent to you?

I'm looking for apartments next week! Is anyone else looking to live downtown? Just curious on how you feel about the commute... I'm thinking -- either west loop or south loop.

Members don't see this ad :)
AngelaK - Angela
azstealth - Allison
clowden - Chris
Danzmachine - Megan
Ekamenet - Eric
Flopotomist - Derrick
jbrice1639 - Jason
mln - Melissa
Prevalent - Tara

Just add your name to the list (hit reply, delete the things that say "[quote...]" and add yourself in)

OK - friendly reminder for people that procrastinate as badly as I do Today is the last day to get your 6 photos in the mail for 2 day delivery in order for them to be in on time.

Flopotomist said:
OK - friendly reminder for people that procrastinate as badly as I do Today is the last day to get your 6 photos in the mail for 2 day delivery in order for them to be in on time.

I waited too long, so now I have to drive over there tomorrow. You think it's going to be open on the 3rd? I would think so. Thanks.

ekamenet said:
I waited too long, so now I have to drive over there tomorrow. You think it's going to be open on the 3rd? I would think so. Thanks.
Glad to know I am not the only one that procrastinates! I am hoping my darn titers will be back in time. I also need to get going on transcripts. Ugh.

Flopotomist said:
Glad to know I am not the only one that procrastinates! I am hoping my darn titers will be back in time. I also need to get going on transcripts. Ugh.

i couldn't get in to see my doc til the 5th...so hopefully i'll be able to get everything taken care of in time. although, they do say that anything you don't have or couldn't get done you can take care of during orientation. not sure how those prices compare to taking care of it on your own time though.

jbrice1639 said:
i couldn't get in to see my doc til the 5th...so hopefully i'll be able to get everything taken care of in time. although, they do say that anything you don't have or couldn't get done you can take care of during orientation. not sure how those prices compare to taking care of it on your own time though.
$10 co-pay is MUCH cheaper. I know that my Hep B is going to need to get done (kept starting the series, never finished) and have no clue about the others.

It is my transcripts that I am starting to freak out about. I have SOOO many schools, statistically, one of them is BOUND to screw up. (grr.. why isn't that nice AMCAS review of my transcripts sufficient?).

I dropped off my pictures today and just can't get over how nice everyone is in the admissions office! Just being there again made me so excited to start school!

ekamenet said:
I dropped off my pictures today and just can't get over how nice everyone is in the admissions office! Just being there again made me so excited to start school!
Yikes! They are working on the 4th??

ekamenet said:
It was the 3rd.
oops.. I didn't check the time when I made that post. OK.. I will be the class ditz.

Members don't see this ad :)
Flopotomist said:
$10 co-pay is MUCH cheaper. I know that my Hep B is going to need to get done (kept starting the series, never finished) and have no clue about the others.

amazingly, i went in ready to have my arms stabbed numerous times, and to my surprise, i had all of the vaccinations already up to date. so that was a nice feeling. all that's left is the survey thing that goes up next week...and waiting for things to start (and then, probably, wondering why i was in such a hurry to get things started instead of enjoying the beach all month...) :laugh:

mln said:
Kind of off topic, but... I have never watched the medical tv shows before - ER, House MD, or any of those types of shows. I've always been into the police or legal shows though (Miami Vice, Nash Bridges, Just Legal - just about anything with Don Johnson). Everyone kept asking if I watched medical tv shows though because I always wanted to be a doctor. I finally decided to add Scrubs to my Netflix, and I have to say that it is really funny. Just wondering what you guys all thought about this show and the other medical tv shows.

Although I rarely watch it, Scrubs is pretty funny just because of how random some of the humor is. As far as other shows, I used to watch ER all the time. Then, I started working in an ER and became less interested in it because I would just comment on all of the medical stuff instead of getting into the drama. Now, I tend to watch more of the documentary type shows like Trauma: Life in the ER (although you were probably asking about the medical dramas not documentaries).

mln said:
Kind of off topic, but... I have never watched the medical tv shows before - ER, House MD, or any of those types of shows. I've always been into the police or legal shows though (Miami Vice, Nash Bridges, Just Legal - just about anything with Don Johnson). Everyone kept asking if I watched medical tv shows though because I always wanted to be a doctor. I finally decided to add Scrubs to my Netflix, and I have to say that it is really funny. Just wondering what you guys all thought about this show and the other medical tv shows.

scrubs is one of my all time favorite tv shows...i bought the first season right when it came out on dvd. if you're getting it from netflicks, check out some of the special features on the dvd. there's some interviews with the doctors the show is based on. apparently all of the episodes are based on real life situations those doctors went through, and they agreed that it was probably the most realistic depiction of medicine of any tv show. obviously, there's the general absurdity of the humor, but they said the way the characters react to each other and the emotions they deal with are spot on for how being an intern really goes down.

I just wanted to ask everyone who hasn't responded if you plan on going to the first two social events during orientation (the sox game and ravinia)? Also, I just checked the orientation page on the Loyola site and saw that they also have two events planned for Wed. and Thurs. by the MS-2 students. I just wanted to know who was planning on going to those?

ekamenet said:
I just wanted to ask everyone who hasn't responded if you plan on going to the first two social events during orientation (the sox game and ravinia)? Also, I just checked the orientation page on the Loyola site and saw that they also have two events planned for Wed. and Thurs. by the MS-2 students. I just wanted to know who was planning on going to those?

i signed up for the sox game, but not ravinia. i'll definitely be in for second city since that's not too far from my house...and i'll probably be up for doc ryan's, at least for a little while.

having gone through the orientation craziness last year and helping out with it all this year, i know that you feel like there's a lot of stuff to get done and it'll be a long week...but with that said the activities are all pretty fun. if you want to skip the first big events, fine, but the stuff we m2's are planning should be fun and its really chill, just time to hang out and meet people and have fun. see you all in a couple weeks! :)

brats800 said:
having gone through the orientation craziness last year and helping out with it all this year, i know that you feel like there's a lot of stuff to get done and it'll be a long week...but with that said the activities are all pretty fun. if you want to skip the first big events, fine, but the stuff we m2's are planning should be fun and its really chill, just time to hang out and meet people and have fun. see you all in a couple weeks! :)
The M2 organized events sound like fun PLUS one of them is within walking distance of my new place! I won't even have time to be homesick...

Flopotomist said:
The M2 organized events sound like fun PLUS one of them is within walking distance of my new place! I won't even have time to be homesick...

yeah, i should be able to make both of them, and they definitely sound fun. second city is always a good time. and doc's is a pretty cool place...if you're me, you run the risk of running into all the people you went to high school with who, in al bundy style, are still basking in the glory of that time they scored four touchdowns in one game...but since we'll have the place reserved, definitely sounds like a fun time.

can't wait to meet everyone. i'm not working anymore, and i actually underestimated just how boring my 2.5 weeks of sitting around relaxing time was going to be... :laugh:

jbrice1639 said:
yeah, i should be able to make both of them, and they definitely sound fun. second city is always a good time. and doc's is a pretty cool place...if you're me, you run the risk of running into all the people you went to high school with who, in al bundy style, are still basking in the glory of that time they scored four touchdowns in one game...but since we'll have the place reserved, definitely sounds like a fun time.

can't wait to meet everyone. i'm not working anymore, and i actually underestimated just how boring my 2.5 weeks of sitting around relaxing time was going to be... :laugh:

I stopped working at the end of May so I could have a nice, long break....wow am I bored! I also underestimated how boring it would be, but I'm sure I will thank myself once things get busy.

I also wanted to let all of you know some things about the pre-registration form that we have to do before July 20th. First, unless it's just my computer, the website is SOOOO slow, so give yourself some extra time just for loading the pages. The other thing was that I took my time filling out the online form (probably like 15 minutes). After I hit submit, it told me that it logged me out due to inactivity and I had to wait for everything to load all over again and fill it out again. So, just some advice, don't take too long to fill out the form. Hope this helps! By the way, I just sent in my $ for the sox game and will not be going to ravinia. See everyone soon!

ekamenet said:
I stopped working at the end of May so I could have a nice, long break....wow am I bored! I also underestimated how boring it would be, but I'm sure I will thank myself once things get busy.

I also wanted to let all of you know some things about the pre-registration form that we have to do before July 20th. First, unless it's just my computer, the website is SOOOO slow, so give yourself some extra time just for loading the pages. The other thing was that I took my time filling out the online form (probably like 15 minutes). After I hit submit, it told me that it logged me out due to inactivity and I had to wait for everything to load all over again and fill it out again. So, just some advice, don't take too long to fill out the form. Hope this helps! By the way, I just sent in my $ for the sox game and will not be going to ravinia. See everyone soon!
Hmmm - that form is really odd. First, it had me married - which I clearly am not, then it had me as an Illinois resident - which I am not. Then (weirdest of all) it had a place for parent #1 - father's name, then parent #2 father's name. Hmm.. no place for a mother, but a place for two fathers?? Weird. Then it wants the HIGHSCHOOL I went to? What is that about? And how do they define "hometown?"

Ugh.

Flopotomist said:
Hmmm - that form is really odd. First, it had me married - which I clearly am not, then it had me as an Illinois resident - which I am not. Then (weirdest of all) it had a place for parent #1 - father's name, then parent #2 father's name. Hmm.. no place for a mother, but a place for two fathers?? Weird. Then it wants the HIGHSCHOOL I went to? What is that about? And how do they define "hometown?"

Ugh.

i interpreted hometown to be where i grew up...probably if they do background info on all of us they can see if a bunch of people grew up together or went to high school together or whatever...

the two dads thing was a little odd though...i emailed them about that one.

Flopotomist said:

Ugh.

It also had me as married, and for the parents thing, I just put my mom as parent #2 and wrote her name next to father's name. If I am wrong in doing that, they will probably just let me know during orientation. I feel like the upper case thing for high school is just to make sure you're paying attention (probably not, but I really don't get that part either).

mln said:
Out of curiosity, I was wondering whether medical students and doctors actually wear scrubs though? Unless in surgery, most docs I've seen wear slacks with a dress shirt and a white coat...

it seems to depend on the specialty from what i can tell. my mom recently had a kidney transplant, and everyone on her hospital floor was in scrubs...students, residents, doctors...everyone...regardless of whether they were surgical or medical. when i did my volunteering in peds, it was split 50/50. other times, like you said, most docs seem to wear regular clothes with the white coat. scrubs with a white coat is pretty popular at the hospital where i volunteer...especially for the ER staff.

mln said:
I just finished watching Season 1 of Scrubs. What a great show! I've already added the 2nd and 3rd season to my Netflix to watch next week (I'm really, really bored and have been watching a lot of tv and movies lately...) I watched the extras like you suggested, jbrice. The out takes were pretty funny.

Out of curiosity, I was wondering whether medical students and doctors actually wear scrubs though? Unless in surgery, most docs I've seen wear slacks with a dress shirt and a white coat...

It really depends on the department. For OB/GYN, Surgery, and sometimes ER, the docs usually wear scrubs with their coats. For other departments on the floors, like general floors and ICUs, the docs are usually in slacks or non-scrub attire. Medical students, though, almost always seem to be more dressed up, except of course when doing surgery rotations.

mln said:
I just finished watching Season 1 of Scrubs. What a great show! I've already added the 2nd and 3rd season to my Netflix to watch next week (I'm really, really bored and have been watching a lot of tv and movies lately...) I watched the extras like you suggested, jbrice. The out takes were pretty funny.

I own all three seasons - they're amazing, and hilarious. Another good MD show is Grey's Anatomy. A bit dramatic, but it sucks you in.

I lived in Chicago for college, but never had a car -- does anyone have any advice on how to get to Loyola from the south loop?

I'll be living in the south loop and I want to know how best to avoid traffic in the morning/evening... I have a feeling traffic on 290 is going to be brutal no matter what time...

:)

ekamenet said:
It also had me as married, and for the parents thing, I just put my mom as parent #2 and wrote her name next to father's name. If I am wrong in doing that, they will probably just let me know during orientation. I feel like the upper case thing for high school is just to make sure you're paying attention (probably not, but I really don't get that part either).
from my limited knowledge of illinois law, those questions about hometown, high school, and residency in IL are for those who are not legal residents of the U.S. illinois permits those students to obtain a higher education as long as they have lived here for a certain number of years and/or have graduated from an IL high school. it is intended for those who are undocumented through no fault of their own

and I chose my mom to play my second father ;) I don't think it should be a problem

ambulancedriver said:
and I chose my mom to play my second father ;) I don't think it should be a problem

for what it's worth, i emailed them and they said the second parent is supposed to be for students with parents who don't live together. they said they're going to add a note about that on next year's form because they realize it may be confusing. so i'm assuming they won't care if anyone puts a parent in the second one, but it's not necessary unless the parents live in separate homes.

Prevalent said:
I lived in Chicago for college, but never had a car -- does anyone have any advice on how to get to Loyola from the south loop?

I'll be living in the south loop and I want to know how best to avoid traffic in the morning/evening... I have a feeling traffic on 290 is going to be brutal no matter what time...

:)

actually, traffic on 290 (the eisenhower) isn't bad as early as we'll be going. i'm coming from the north and will be taking either lake shore or the kennedy down to the eisenhower. i've done it a few times this summer just to gauge traffic and it hasn't been bad at all...especially since we're going outbound, against the general flow of rush hour. plus, with classes starting at 8 or 8:30, we'll be on the road early enough that it won't be too much of an issue.

Other options would be Roosevelt Rd, Madison, Washington, maybe even Lake St. The number of stop lights on those roads seem to make them no better than the expressway, though. Even if you're only going 20-25 mph on the eishenhower, that seems better than the constant stop and go. Plus, the neighborhoods along those streets are definitely not among Chicago's finest, depending on your comfort level of driving through some rough areas.

jbrice1639 said:
actually, traffic on 290 (the eisenhower) isn't bad as early as we'll be going. i'm coming from the north and will be taking either lake shore or the kennedy down to the eisenhower. i've done it a few times this summer just to gauge traffic and it hasn't been bad at all...especially since we're going outbound, against the general flow of rush hour. plus, with classes starting at 8 or 8:30, we'll be on the road early enough that it won't be too much of an issue.

Other options would be Roosevelt Rd, Madison, Washington, maybe even Lake St. The number of stop lights on those roads seem to make them no better than the expressway, though. Even if you're only going 20-25 mph on the eishenhower, that seems better than the constant stop and go. Plus, the neighborhoods along those streets are definitely not among Chicago's finest, depending on your comfort level of driving through some rough areas.

Well, I lived in hyde park for 4 years, so 'rough' I'm okay with. It's traffic that gets me -- I checked out Roosevelt too, which isn't a horrible alternative... but thanks for the info on 290 - I guess that's what I'll be taking!

If any of the M2s (or any other current students) are still hanging out on here, i was wondering if there's anything going on Friday night of orientation week. I play in a softball league on Friday evenings...and obviously i'd miss a game if something is going on, but i'd like to let them know in advance so we can find a sub. If you can, let me know if i should leave that night open.

jbrice1639 said:
If any of the M2s (or any other current students) are still hanging out on here, i was wondering if there's anything going on Friday night of orientation week. I play in a softball league on Friday evenings...and obviously i'd miss a game if something is going on, but i'd like to let them know in advance so we can find a sub. If you can, let me know if i should leave that night open.

1. Monday - White Sox game
2. Tuesday - Ravinia (Beach Boys)
3. Wednesday - M2 event at Doc Ryan's (optional for M1s)
4. Thursday - Second City
5. Friday - Free
6. Saturday - Harry Caray's - dinner and drinks followed by fireworks on the
lake for Venetian Night
7. Sunday free

hope that helps. ;) (list courtesy of your MSU president....i'm just posting what he gave me)

back to the first page. :)

one more week.... :clap: :scared: :barf: :clap: :scared: :barf: :laugh:

how is everyone planning to pass this last week of freedom? me, I took off from work and plan to make myself extremely bored so that I can excite myself into school-mode again.

ambulancedriver said:
how is everyone planning to pass this last week of freedom? me, I took off from work and plan to make myself extremely bored so that I can excite myself into school-mode again.

my last day of work was june 29...but my time off has been busy...saw my doctor, my dentist, my mechanic, my parents...better than being at work of course :) my last week of freedom will be spent playing playstation most likely...and then out of town thursday-sunday for a wedding my wife is in. most importantly, with this heat wave, my last week of freedom will be spent in air conditioning! :cool:

jbrice1639 said:
my last day of work was june 29...but my time off has been busy...saw my doctor, my dentist, my mechanic, my parents...better than being at work of course :) my last week of freedom will be spent playing playstation most likely...and then out of town thursday-sunday for a wedding my wife is in. most importantly, with this heat wave, my last week of freedom will be spent in air conditioning! :cool:

That's funny, I'm also seeing my dentist and mechanic. I've learned that you've got to get those things taken care of before you get busy otherwise it never happens. I'll spend this week probably doing nothing as I have for the past month. I have been going to sleep at like 3 am every night and waking up at about 11. That probably has to change.

I am now here! I arrived in Forest Park this afternoon - found my new apartment (it is GREAT!) and then immediately bought an air conditioner (geesh, it is hot here!).

I will now begin the frantic furniture shopping (grr... why can't there be an IKEA closer?)

I live right across the street from Doc Ryan's so if anybody wants to grab a drink shoot me an email!

sounds like almost everyone is here now! only 4 days left til school starts. i posted this on our incoming student board, but if anyone is interested in playing on an intramural soccer team, let me know and i'll organize it if there is not already one in existence. just send me a PM with your email address and i'll put together a list of who wants to play and do some research on leagues etc.

GO ITALIA!!

thanks!

Flopotomist said:
I am now here! I arrived in Forest Park this afternoon - found my new apartment (it is GREAT!) and then immediately bought an air conditioner (geesh, it is hot here!).

I will now begin the frantic furniture shopping (grr... why can't there be an IKEA closer?)

I live right across the street from Doc Ryan's so if anybody wants to grab a drink shoot me an email!

Being a lifelong Chicagoan, I suppose it's only appropriate that while all of you are getting into the city, I'd be in Minneapolis for a wedding...so, uh, yeah...see everyone Monday...hopefully O'Hare isn't as jacked up on Sunday as it was on Friday...

My husband and I are done with our long honeymoon and are now in our new Forest Park apartment! It's so exciting! We're only 1.5 miles from school close to Roosevelt and Circle. Can't wait to meet you all on Monday!

ok everyone, this may sound like a weird question, but I know some of you are thinking it (hopefully). I know in college, the dress code is pretty much wear whatever you want. Well, in medical school, or any professional school for that matter, what is appropriate attire? I'm sure there are no rules as to what you should wear, but what is most common? Are most people a little more cleaned up most of the time, or is it pretty much like college where sometimes its just the first thing you see (obviously I'm a guy)? Sorry if this is somewhat stupid, but it has been on my mind and I figured this was the best place to ask. Pretty much what I'm asking is...what are you wearing for Monday...casual, shorts, dress pants, tie, flip flops? Thanks! :oops:

ekamenet said:
ok everyone, this may sound like a weird question, but I know some of you are thinking it (hopefully). I know in college, the dress code is pretty much wear whatever you want. Well, in medical school, or any professional school for that matter, what is appropriate attire? I'm sure there are no rules as to what you should wear, but what is most common? Are most people a little more cleaned up most of the time, or is it pretty much like college where sometimes its just the first thing you see (obviously I'm a guy)? Sorry if this is somewhat stupid, but it has been on my mind and I figured this was the best place to ask. Pretty much what I'm asking is...what are you wearing for Monday...casual, shorts, dress pants, tie, flip flops? Thanks! :oops:

hehe...i actually had the exact same question, so i emailed one of the guys who runs our incoming student site at Loyola. here was what he said to me:

Yes, please wear whatever you want/is comfortable - most people will be in shorts/sandals/summer type attire assuming it's warm enough. The buildings can be cool with the AC so keep that in mind, but yeah, wear whatever you want it's fine.

i definitely wasn't sure if we needed to be making a professional impression when we meet faculty and stuff, but it's definitely nice to be able to just be comfortable.

hope you're all enjoying your last weekend before the craziness :smuggrin: