OFFICIAL Loyola Stritch SOM class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Alright, i got a few responses from people, but most seem to want to do it later on in the summer. We will plan something for the weekend before orientation starts. that way we will get everyone who is getting off of the waitlist.

how many people will be instate? it doesnt seem to be that many

Members don't see this ad.

brats800 said:
The first week (orientation week) is not too bad. You'll probably get tired, but that's more because you'll be filling out lots of paperwork and you'll just be excited to be there. You're done by 4 or so every day (don't remember exactly...not bad though) and at night there's optional stuff to do with the M1's/M2's with a couple nights off. The stuff each night is really fun. But yeah, you'll have time to get stuff bought/moved in, etc...There's an IKEA not too far from school (maybe 1/2 hour) which has nice cheap furniture. See ya all in 6 weeks or so!
OOOOH!!! IKEA!!! Maybe a group of us should all get together and rent a u-haul together and make a run to the ikea. Lets see... I need, uhm. Everything.

Vitriol said:
how many people will be instate? it doesnt seem to be that many

i'm a lifetime chicagoan...but, my summer is getting pretty jammed up with lots of people wanting to do "one last crazy weekend" before i have no life for four years...but you're right, it does seem like a lot of our class is out of state

Members don't see this ad :)
hey guys! so i was ridiculously excited when i got off the wait list on may 16th, and i'm really looking forward to next month! the big thing i have been stressing about is housing - i, too, have been sitting around waiting for that housing list to come out & browsing craig's list (and got shut out of the loyola incoming students forum :), but i feel like i should be doing more. i'm looking to live in oak park, w/at least 1 roommate, i'm a girl but not opposed to living with a guy - if you have a place definitely send me a message (i'm kind of sdn-challenged so not sure how the 'pm' works, but i'll send my email if anyone wants it). just looking for advice too - is it fine to wait for that housing list or will a lot of places be taken by then? should i fly out to chicago to look for one (i'm in dc)? thanks!

Hmm - I just got my roommate list (after I found a place on my own) from Loyola. Interesting - they edited my self description and removed any reference to my being gay on there. I figured it would be a bit rude to just sorta spring that on a roomie after we moved in together - I wonder why they cut that out?

did others have their profiles edited? if not then that would certainly be strange, and by strange i mean NOT COOL.

they did leave a few things out of mine, but I just figured it was due to space concerns. On another note, they only sent me the female list, so I guess they think that guys and girls shouldn't cohabitate?

Look at the very bottom of the spread sheet and there is one page for males one for females ... took me a bit to notice that. About roommates and the list though ... wish they would have provided some emails so we didn't have to call everyone, not that that is a bad thing to actually talk but it certainly would have saved time since now a bunch of people already have places. PM me if any of you would like to find a place together or better yet, if you have a place already and just need to fill a room. I'm getting super excited to make the big move, but I wish I knew where I was living already.

Hey folks! Congrats to those just pulled off the waitlist; it seems things are moving right along. <Fingers are still crossed for those waiting to hear good news, though.>

I'd be interested in getting together before classes, but closer to the middle of July. Things are getting really busy now!

We just signed the paperwork to buy a totally rehabbed condo in Hickory Hills (about 25 min. south of Loyola-- but next to a HUGE (for IL) forest preserve district) and are trying to get rid of a ton of stuff that won't fit in 733 square feet. :eek: If anybody is looking for a heavy mission style bureau and two matching night tables or tons of other assorted stuff like a 4 year old stainless steel microwave, a mountain bike, etc., etc., etc., let me know! I'll cut you a GREAT deal. :) If anybody in the area is interested, I'll let you know when the moving sale takes place. Or you can just PM me. I too plan on making an excursion to IKEA, Flop, if I can find the money. Either way we will be getting some stuff from there eventually, so count me in for the caravan!

Im getting excited as july draws near!

Flopotomist said:
Hmm - I just got my roommate list (after I found a place on my own) from Loyola. Interesting - they edited my self description and removed any reference to my being gay on there. I figured it would be a bit rude to just sorta spring that on a roomie after we moved in together - I wonder why they cut that out?

i think that might be an equal housing act thing...you can't specify race, gender, sexuality, student status, etc...in fact, about the only thing you can specify when looking for a roommate is that you can specify that you want the same gender.

jbrice1639 said:
i think that might be an equal housing act thing...you can't specify race, gender, sexuality, student status, etc...in fact, about the only thing you can specify when looking for a roommate is that you can specify that you want the same gender.
Yeah- I figured it might be something like that, so I put "prefer to live with non-homophobic roommate" figuring that would be "code" people could figure out. *shrug* not going to worry about it. I am super excited - although I just mapquested my place and it isn't as close to the blue line as I thought (.6 miles). I have never lived without a roommate though - I hope I don't get lonely!

no worries, flop, when it's like -10 degrees outside (which it will be, oh yes it will) you can certainly count on me for a ride...

Members don't see this ad :)
scrappy37 said:
no worries, flop, when it's like -10 degrees outside (which it will be, oh yes it will) you can certainly count on me for a ride...
When it is that cold outside, don't they declare a national emergency and have national guard troops evacuate us to Hawaii or something? On a serious note - do I need to get special tires for my car in the winter?

Flopotomist said:
When it is that cold outside, don't they declare a national emergency and have national guard troops evacuate us to Hawaii or something? On a serious note - do I need to get special tires for my car in the winter?

no, youll be okay. the good thing about chicago among other midwest cities is that although we get a good amount of snow, the snow trucks clear it out early in the morning, well before rush hour hits.

i actually saw a few corvettes driving in the thick of winter with normal tires, smart? no, possible? yes

just thought I'd bump this thread up while posting the deadlines we have to meet soon:

Six Photographs - received by July 5th
Medical History/Immunizations Report - Received Prior to July 14th
Transcripts - on file by July 24th
Bring Passport/Proof of citizenship on July 24th

Only five more weeks left :eek: Summer is just flying by

ambulancedriver said:
just thought I'd bump this thread up while posting the deadlines we have to meet soon:

Six Photographs - received by July 5th
Medical History/Immunizations Report - Received Prior to July 14th
Transcripts - on file by July 24th
Bring Passport/Proof of citizenship on July 24th

Only five more weeks left :eek: Summer is just flying by
OH CRAP!! Man am I glad you posted this - somehow I missed the six photograph requirement!

Flopotomist said:
OH CRAP!! Man am I glad you posted this - somehow I missed the six photograph requirement!

yeah...i did too...when/where/how did they tell us about that?!

what are the requirements? 2x2 again like all our apps?

someone with the sheet should check, but i think 2x2 is correct. the pix will be in your file, i think given to your mentors/advisors, and included in a packet given out early in the year that allows you to match faces to names in your class...at least that's how it all worked out this year, i think.

brats800 said:
someone with the sheet should check, but i think 2x2 is correct. the pix will be in your file, i think given to your mentors/advisors, and included in a packet given out early in the year that allows you to match faces to names in your class...at least that's how it all worked out this year, i think.

it is 2x2. i got the notice as part of the packet they sent me when i got off of the waitlist (page 3) yea, they said that its for the "facebook" as well as to identify you when they go through the final check of making sure your the one who took your mcat and everything. i just used the same pics as i did for my secondaries and they worked fine. i believe the requirements are that they have to be only head and shoulders, professional photograph and to write your name o the back of the photo.

its the section right after the criminal background check

Vitriol said:
it is 2x2. i got the notice as part of the packet they sent me when i got off of the waitlist (page 3) yea, they said that its for the "facebook" as well as to identify you when they go through the final check of making sure your the one who took your mcat and everything. i just used the same pics as i did for my secondaries and they worked fine. i believe the requirements are that they have to be only head and shoulders, professional photograph and to write your name o the back of the photo.

its the section right after the criminal background check

hmm...i better dig through the stuff i have from them. i hope i'm not missing anything. my mailman likes to put our mail in random boxes in our building, regardless of the unit numbers and my neighbors are lazy about returning stuff...so hopefully i don't have a bunch of stuff sitting around somewhere that i should be doing.

Are the photos and the medical form the only things we need to do now before orientation?

Are there any other things we should bring to orientation besides the passport and a checkbook?

If you're covered under another insurance you need to provide proof to that effect. Perhaps some people are still covered under their parent's plan or their spouses plan and don't need the Loyola hospital insurance that costs $1462. If you are covered then you need to show proof at or before orientation to save the $$

clowden said:
If you're covered under another insurance you need to provide proof to that effect. Perhaps some people are still covered under their parent's plan or their spouses plan and don't need the Loyola hospital insurance that costs $1462. If you are covered then you need to show proof at or before orientation to save the $$

there's actually a waiver you can fill out online. i plan to still have my card on hand at orientation just in case, but from the sound of it, filling out this waiver is all you need to do:

http://www.meddean.luc.edu/depts/camplife/orientation/hospitalization.htm

Definitely going to the Sox game (with my Tigers t-shirt on). I'll probably see how tired I am before I decide to go to the beach boys...it also depends on how much more moving into my place I have to do.

if you decide not to go, i'm sure there are a number of 2nd years who will be around helping who would be more than happy to use your tickets =P

brats800 said:
if you decide not to go, i'm sure there are a number of 2nd years who will be around helping who would be more than happy to use your tickets =P

Hey Brats - You should change that signature to SSOM M2 instead of M1. 1st year is over, isnt it? Also, I just wanted to say hi to everyone on here. I posted way at the beginning of this thread, but haven't had much to say since. For those who haven't heard from me yet, I am from Chicago and am going to Loyola. As far as the social events, for sure the sox game and maybe for ravinia. I'm so excited to meet everyone!

clowden said:
Definitely going to the Sox game (with my Tigers t-shirt on). I'll probably see how tired I am before I decide to go to the beach boys...it also depends on how much more moving into my place I have to do.
I think I will probably not be going to the game, or to the Beach Boys - I will be frantically trying to get moved in and unpacked. Need to make some SERIOUS Ikea or Costco runs.

Flopotomist said:
I think I will probably not be going to the game, or to the Beach Boys - I will be frantically trying to get moved in and unpacked. Need to make some SERIOUS Ikea or Costco runs.

Unfortunately, I'm in the same boat. What with working and closing on the condo July 21st, attending a friend's wedding on the 22nd, physically moving on the 23rd and starting orientation on the 24th, I don't think there is much time left over. I'm exhausted just thinking about it! :scared: In the meantime, there's always packing... I guess I'd better get back to it instead of lurking around here. :oops:

i plan on attending both events. i figure it'll be more opportunity to meet and connect with my new classmates. i'm not a beach boys fan but maybe the other band will be good? either way, i'm down for whatever they offer us that week. i'll be all moved in by then as i move in on july 1. packing my house right now and it's not fun! but def. excited to meet everyone soon. :)

akanene said:
hey crew... excited to be joining you all! about the 6 pictures that we need to have sent in, can we just do digital camera style?? or do we have to go somewhere where the do official passport photos?

cant wait to meet everyone, i cant believe we start so soon :scared: :D

i printed mine at home...but i printed them on one of those easyshare kodak photo printers, so it looks and feels like a real photo. i think as long as it's clear and it's on photo paper, you're fine.

I just got mine at CVS because I don't have access to a photo printer. Funny story though...for my pictures I sent out with secondaries I had limited resources so I had my friend doctor up a photo of me at a party. He cut my head from a picture with beer bottles all around it and put in some cheesy blue sky background. It looked really good though, no one was the wiser.

OK.. time for a SDN roll call with screen name and real first name so we can all figure out who is who when we meet in a few weeks. I will start:

Flopotomist - Derrick

Flopotomist said:
OK.. time for a SDN roll call with screen name and real first name so we can all figure out who is who when we meet in a few weeks. I will start:

Flopotomist - Derrick

AngelaK - Angela
(of course, I'm sure you could all have figured that one out on your own...)

I mostly lurk on SDN, so I've never actually introduced myself. I'm a non-trad (turning 30 in August) and will be an M1 this year. Like pretty much everyone else here, I absolutely loved Loyola when I interviewed and am thrilled to be going there.

At this point it looks like I'll be buying a place in Forest Park and closing on July 21st, so I'm not sure if I'll make it to the Sox game or Ravinia, but I'm going to try. I can't believe orientation is only a month away!

ekamenet = Eric

So excited to meet everyone!!

consolidating and organizing:

AngelaK - Angela
Ekamenet - Eric
Flopotomist - Derrick

AngelaK - Angela
Ekamenet - Eric
Flopotomist - Derrick
jbrice1639 - Jason

bump - sorry, I just hate being on the second page!

AngelaK - Angela
Ekamenet - Eric
Flopotomist - Derrick
jbrice1639 - Jason
azstealth - Allison

I got my orientation packet in the mail today. Two more deadlines to add to the list of deadlines -

July 21, take the online learning style inventory
July 10-20 complete the online registration form (why this can't be available now, I have no idea - I will have no access to the internet from the 10th to the 20th grrr...)

Flopotomist said:
I got my orientation packet in the mail today. Two more deadlines to add to the list of deadlines -

July 10-20 complete the online registration form (why this can't be available now, I have no idea - I will have no access to the internet from the 10th to the 20th grrr...)

Don't forget the AAMC Matriculation Student Questionnaire. There seems to be some technical difficulties with the site right now, but you should be able to access it here in the future.

Flopotomist said:

Not sure what your plan is (i.e. when you're moving), but there is a public library very close to your new apartment...at Jackson and Des Plaines. I'm sure you could also stop by the school and use a computer there.

AngelaK - Angela
Ekamenet - Eric
Flopotomist - Derrick
jbrice1639 - Jason
azstealth - Allison
clowden - Chris

IDforMe said:
Don't forget the AAMC Matriculation Student Questionnaire. There seems to be some technical difficulties with the site right now, but you should be able to access it here in the future.

it went back up, and it was long and boring... :laugh:

Flopotomist said:

i did this yesterday (it's my last week at work and i'm bored), and it was freakishly accurate. the whole time i was taking it i was getting annoyed because i didn't like that you had to rank all of the items differently when it seemed like many were similar...but i guess they know what they're doing because my results were spot-on!

AngelaK - Angela
Ekamenet - Eric
Flopotomist - Derrick
jbrice1639 - Jason
azstealth - Allison
clowden - Chris
Prevalent - Tara

AngelaK - Angela
azstealth - Allison
clowden - Chris
Ekamenet - Eric
Flopotomist - Derrick