*~*~* Official Letters of Recommendation Questions Thread 2013-2014 *~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The only schools I know of that require them are the LECOMs and OSU, both of which are not on your list. The ones you have on your list are all on my list and I don't have a DO letter either for the same reason. Send your secondaries, you'll be ok.

LECOM, LECOM-B, OSU-COM, LMU-DCOM, KYCOM, VCOM and WVSOM all require DO LORs. Previously RVU-COM also required it, but now their website just says "physician", so its possible this is no longer the case.

TUNCOM, UNECOM, PNWU, PCOM, GA-PCOM, NYCOM, MU-COM, CCOM and AZCOM all strongly recommend DO letters.

Anyways, OP, it won't affect you. You have competitive stats and none of the schools on your list explicitly requires a DO letter or even strongly recommends one. Just send in your apps now.

Members don't see this ad :)
Shoot them another email. I wouldn't copy and paste the one you sent earlier though. If its been a week, shoot them an email or call and ask if they received your previous email about the LOR. Obviously be nice and not pushy in any way.

Can we get a LOR from a teacher with a masters? Would that work? has anyone ever done this?

I'm using the committee letter, which includes letters from 2 science profs, 1 non-science, and 1 from an MD. I noticed some schools schools like CCOM require 2 letters, one can be from a committee or professor, and one must be from physician. Does it count if my committee letter packet includes one from the physician? Or does that need to be separate?

Aslo, I may be able to get a DO letter, but it wouldn't be until late August or September. Can I send my committee letter when I get my secondaries and then submit my DO letter later on?

So I have all my letters saved with my school's pre-professional office. I was just looking on Drexel's website and noticed that they require a SEPARATE FREAKING FORM:
The applicant completes the top part of each recommendation and delivers it to the recommenders. The recommender is requested to complete the lower part of the form, seal the completed form in an envelope, and sign the sealed envelope across the flap.

Are you kidding me? Should I just not bother applying to this school in this case? I don't have the time to go find all of my recommenders and wait a month for them to fill out this stupid form. Would just sending the letters be ok?

How frustrated do you feel? I've submitted 11/17 secondaries already. Just waiting for that darn committee letter. They confirmed that they will be compiling the letter about 2 weeks ago too.

Also for most schools, how long does it usually take to process the LORs and make your app complete?

:confused:

Won't you still be complete at all your schools and get IIs even if they don't have your LORs yet?

Sent from my SPH-L720

No most schools if not all want secondaries and LORs for you to be considered complete.

The exception being LECOMs

How frustrated do you feel? I've submitted 11/17 secondaries already. Just waiting for that darn committee letter. They confirmed that they will be compiling the letter about 2 weeks ago too.

Also for most schools, how long does it usually take to process the LORs and make your app complete?

:confused:

My committee has been promising to send it out for weeks as well but when I called last week they say it'll be out next. I seriously wish my school didnt have a committee so that I could send the letters in a timely process:mad:

My committee has been promising to send it out for weeks as well but when I called last week they say it'll be out next. I seriously wish my school didnt have a committee so that I could send the letters in a timely process:mad:

I have 2 LORs in...still waiting on 2 science profs, MD, committee, and boss. makes me want to bash my head against the wall.

Yea honestly waiting for something that is out of your control is the frustrating part. I just wanna be complete so my schools can start reviewing my final haha

Members don't see this ad :)
Interviews are already starting to trickle in. If we got our LORs in by next week and were complete by say the first or second week of August would we still be considred early?

Interviews are already starting to trickle in. If we got our LORs in by next week and were complete by say the first or second week of August would we still be considred early?

Yes. Submitting primaries this late, is just OK, but being complete with your secondaries by early August is still very early.

So I have all my letters saved with my school's pre-professional office. I was just looking on Drexel's website and noticed that they require a SEPARATE FREAKING FORM:
The applicant completes the top part of each recommendation and delivers it to the recommenders. The recommender is requested to complete the lower part of the form, seal the completed form in an envelope, and sign the sealed envelope across the flap.

Are you kidding me? Should I just not bother applying to this school in this case? I don't have the time to go find all of my recommenders and wait a month for them to fill out this stupid form. Would just sending the letters be ok?

Hi, where did you see this on their website? They mention they participate in AMCAS letter service, so wouldn't that mean they accept letters directly from AMCAS.

Hi guys,

I was wondering if anthropology counts as a non science letter? I know that it counts toward your sgpa but would it be okay for non science letter?

Thanks

Hi guys,

I was wondering if anthropology counts as a non science letter? I know that it counts toward your sgpa but would it be okay for non science letter?

Thanks

You're fine. I used a Psych LOR for my NS letter.

On the primary application there are certain classes that are considered sciences. A letter from a class other than one of those will most likely be considered a non-science letter.

As is always the case with these types of questions, each specific school will be the best one to answer this question.

I didn't think anthropology counted towards sGPA, but rather that it was strictly in social science's ballpark. I'm not complaining if it isn't, that would be a nice boost for me.

Hi guys,

Thanks
Not all anthropology is created equal. Cultural anthropology is considered non-science.

I didn't think anthropology counted towards sGPA, but rather that it was strictly in social science's ballpark. I'm not complaining if it isn't, that would be a nice boost for me.
Only Biological/Physical Anthropology counts as sGPA.

Not all anthropology is created equal. Cultural anthropology is considered non-science.

It was an introductory anthropology class. I'm not sure if it was physical or not. For sure not biological though. Does that still work?

It was an introductory anthropology class. I'm not sure if it was physical or not. For sure not biological though. Does that still work?

Probably. I think you'd know if it was physical. My school's course explicitly says physical anthropology.

Only Biological/Physical Anthropology counts as sGPA.

Hey, fantastic! Here I was thinking it was going to amount to a time sink.

As for intro classes, I doubt that would qualify; most intro classes for anthro are surveys of the different branches of the subject. We spent a while on cultural, a while on physical, a day or two on archaeology, etc. Be forewarned, though, if you plan on going into physical anthropology, you're going to find eight theories to every five scientists.

It is like nails on a chalkboard....who is with me!?! :mad:

and then the waiting and the follow up e-mails (in a different state now so I cannot go to their office)....argh

Schools should not require LOR to be complete. They should require them if you are going to get an interview.

I totally understand how you feel, I'm still waiting for a LOR from a MD that I've worked with for 3 years. I know she is super busy so I don't want to keep bugging her about it. And I'm still frantically searching for a DO I might be able to shadow and get a LOR from, maybe..It sucks cause it feels like your fate is in someone else's hands...

Perhaps they are taking a while 'cause they are writing you a bomb letter? :rolleyes:

I totally understand how you feel, I'm still waiting for a LOR from a MD that I've worked with for 3 years. I know she is super busy so I don't want to keep bugging her about it. And I'm still frantically searching for a DO I might be able to shadow and get a LOR from, maybe..It sucks cause it feels like your fate is in someone else's hands...

For me the DO was the easy letter to obtain! This last sci prof....arghhhh

Sorry to stray away from the topic, but do you have any tips on how I can shadow a DO? I contacted my states AOA and I haven't had any luck so far. How long did you shadow your DO before you were able to get an LOR from them? Thanks

Sorry to stray away from the topic, but do you have any tips on how I can shadow a DO? I contacted my states AOA and I haven't had any luck so far. How long did you shadow your DO before you were able to get an LOR from them? Thanks

I shadowed one day and got a letter but I was in a unique situation.

Can anyone see how strong this letter is from the D.O I shadowed ? I'll pm it to you

Last edited:
I happen to 100% disagree with this.

Hi, I was thinking of applying to LECOM but I don't have a LOR from a DO. I been trying to find a DO to shadow but I couldn't find any. I tried contacting my state AOA and I also used the iLearn mentor website. Still no luck. I'm located in the bay area, California. Should I even bother trying to find a DO at this point? Any tips on finding a DO would be much appreciated as well.

Thanks in advance.

-

Last edited:
Nope. Worst part is either MCAT or the waiting period of the app cycle.

MCAT is worse.

But try asking a professor with other letters on his plate and summer session classes to teach. That letter is gonna be a late one.

Hi, I was thinking of applying to LECOM but I don't have a LOR from a DO. I been trying to find a DO to shadow but I couldn't find any. I tried contacting my state AOA and I also used the iLearn mentor website. Still no luck. I'm located in the bay area, California. Should I even bother trying to find a DO at this point? Any tips on finding a DO would be much appreciated as well.

Thanks in advance.
Ask Touro-CA if they have a list of DO graduates practicing in the area. I'm sure they will be able to help you out. I know that they match a lot of residents up in NorCal so there should be many practicing in the area. Or maybe you can get some time shadowing in clinics with the med students and attendings. all viable options and basically how I went about, albeit not in NorCal

Thanks in advance.

Wouldn't you have to shadow for a while before getting a letter? Or is one day going to be enough?

MCAT is worse.

But try asking a professor with other letters on his plate and summer session classes to teach. That letter is gonna be a late one.

MCAT it's all up to you. Asking for letters sucks. It's like hey want to spend part of your day doing something you don't want to. Some are more than happy to do other times it can be a pain

I asked for letters of recommendation through e-mail so it wasn't that cringe-worthy. Actually getting my writers to write a letter was terrible, though. Studying for and taking the MCAT was even worse.

It is like nails on a chalkboard....who is with me!?! :mad:

and then the waiting and the follow up e-mails (in a different state now so I cannot go to their office)....argh

Schools should not require LOR to be complete. They should require them if you are going to get an interview.

Are you scared to talk to professors? I'd hate to see you ask a busy physician for a LOR for residency.

Asking for letters is a piece of cake compared to the MCAT.