*~*~* Official Letters of Recommendation Questions Thread 2013-2014 *~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
All of my academic LoRs are through VirtualEval, and I have one physician's LoR that he suggested he'd prefer to send by mail rather than via Interfolio.

I've also read that some school only want LoRs with secondaries. And secondaries usually come in July/August, correct? If so, then I'll use secondaries as my time reference for when to have my LoR sent.

In my experience, LoR's should only be sent to schools that have sent you a secondary application.

Members don't see this ad.

If I'm using Interfolio and applying to both.. Do I need to have my letter writers submit two letters, one with my AAMC ID and Letter ID (for M.D.) and one without for D.O.?

Or can I just send my letters to the D.O. schools with the AAMC ID and Letter ID included?

Yes. Your MD letter should have your AAMC ID on it. One letter for MD, the same letter (without the AAMC ID) can be used for DO. This is what I did with my MD letter. But I also had a DO letter for the DO schools that I applied to.

dsoz

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it better for all LORs to strongly reinforce the same themes, adding more credibility that they are true? Or should each one list a new characteristic about the applicant (and thus risk being erratic / inconsistent)?

Can I start requesting LOR's from now? I understand that submission during secondary application but does each school have a set of questions or criteria that they need in each letter or is it a general letter of recommendation?

Is it better for all LORs to strongly reinforce the same themes, adding more credibility that they are true? Or should each one list a new characteristic about the applicant (and thus risk being erratic / inconsistent)?
Just out of curiosity - how do you plan on controlling that? I suppose either is fine, but the specific content of LORs is not something most applicants try to control.

Can I start requesting LOR's from now? I understand that submission during secondary application but does each school have a set of questions or criteria that they need in each letter or is it a general letter of recommendation?
Some schools have their own little specific requirements for LORs with regards to formatting and content. Check out the CIB and each school's website for specifics. AZCOM's guidelines for LORs are a good place to start. I don't think any school's formatting requirements contradict another school's, so you should be able to format your LORs the same way for each school (just make sure they meet the little detailed requirements like full legal name and AACOMAS ID on front page, etc).

Just out of curiosity - how do you plan on controlling that? I suppose either is fine, but the specific content of LORs is not something most applicants try to control.

I have close relationships with my letter writers. I send notes to them about what I would like them to highlight in their letters. I know them well enough that I expect them to take it into consideration.

Just to clarify: you truly think either doesn't matter and that the two options are the same?

Last edited:
What do you guys think about asking a friend for a letter of recommendation? I currently am really close to an attending physician. She has seen how much I study and the passion I have for medicine but I've never shadowed her or been in a clinical setting with her. What do you guys think about getting a LOR from her?

I have close relationships with my letter writers. I send notes to them about what I would like them to highlight in their letters. I know them well enough that I expect them to take it into consideration.

Just to clarify: you truly think either doesn't matter and that the two options are the same?
I see. The big concern with LOR writers is that they know you well and are saying nice things about you. If you want to go beyond that and suggest that they highlight certain things, go for it, but I don't think either of the two scenarios that you previously posted is necessarily better than another.

What do you guys think about asking a friend for a letter of recommendation? I currently am really close to an attending physician. She has seen how much I study and the passion I have for medicine but I've never shadowed her or been in a clinical setting with her. What do you guys think about getting a LOR from her?
Friends make great LOR writers because they know you well, but some schools (like DMU) want your physician LOR to detail patient care experiences. If the schools you're applying to don't have requirements like that, I'd say go for it.

Should I ask for letters now, or once I receive a secondary application that specifically asks for them?

I can't seem to find anything indicating what types of letters we should have for all the different schools.

Would I be fine having:
  • 2 Science Professors (PhD)
  • 1 Non Science Professor (PhD)
  • 1 Physician (MD)
  • 1 Extracurricular Involvement Supervisor

?

Probably a dumb question, but I'm new to the DO application! Thanks guys

Anyone else having a terrible time getting a physician to write a letter of recommendation? The doctor I've asked says she will write me one but she's been putting it off for about a month. If you don't want to write one then have the balls to say so. If you are going to write one then stop being so lazy and write one. You aren't the only person in the world to work swing shift and long hours so stop crying about being "so busy." People, I swear.

Should I ask for letters now, or once I receive a secondary application that specifically asks for them?
You should ask them to write the letters now, but I would wait to send them until after you get the secondary.

I can't seem to find anything indicating what types of letters we should have for all the different schools.

Would I be fine having:
  • 2 Science Professors (PhD)
  • 1 Non Science Professor (PhD)
  • 1 Physician (MD)
  • 1 Extracurricular Involvement Supervisor

?

Probably a dumb question, but I'm new to the DO application! Thanks guys
That list will cover many schools but not all. See the first post of this thread.

Anyone else having a terrible time getting a physician to write a letter of recommendation? The doctor I've asked says she will write me one but she's been putting it off for about a month. If you don't want to write one then have the balls to say so. If you are going to write one then stop being so lazy and write one. You aren't the only person in the world to work swing shift and long hours so stop crying about being "so busy." People, I swear.
I think that's pretty common. I had to bug the crap out of mine too.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, I am new to interfolio and I have a question about using it. How do I get the physicians to upload his letter to interfolio? Do they have to have an account? Also, when I use my username from the aacomas to log into interfolio it seems like the account I have is for letter writers. How do I use the account to collect letters?

Lastly, does anyone use the Dossier service? Thanks in advance for the help.

Edit: correct me if I'm wrong plz. It seems like Dossier is the service that sends out the letter?

My manager for an internship wrote me a few different LORs for various applications that I needed, but never for medical school. My manager is no longer working for the company that runs the internship, and the subsequent manager is also no longer working there (who I knew but never worked directly under). Now there's a third manager at the internship that I do not know at all.

Would it be acceptable to ask the internship to update my manager's letter, but have it signed by someone else? I'm a little confused on what to do, but I'm trying to make it work because I spent 3.5 years at this internship and put in thousands of hours, and would like to have something to show for it.

So far all of the schools I've been going through require a letter from a doctor/physician. I do not have one. I am going to start shadowing a doctor this Tuesday, but have no idea if he would be able to write me a letter of recommendation or if he could do so in the time I need. Are there ANY DO schools out there that don't require you to have a letter from a doctor?

So I'm a total LoR noob. What's the best way to manage letters of recommendation? I started an AACOMAS account, but have done nothing in the way of LoRs.

Do I sign up for an interfolio account and then ask my letter writers to send them to interfolio or something?

Does interfolio also work for MD applications, or just DO?

Thank you for the help!

So I'm a total LoR noob. What's the best way to manage letters of recommendation? I started an AACOMAS account, but have done nothing in the way of LoRs.

Do I sign up for an interfolio account and then ask my letter writers to send them to interfolio or something?

Thank you for the help!

Check with your school, they might have a pre-health office that handles all of your letters. Interfolio is another way of doing it as well, you can have your letter writers send them there.

Thank you for the help!
Moved to the official thread.

Do I need a separate account for LoR on interfolio, or do I use the aacomas one? Thanks!

Hey guys,

I'm in a situation where I am applying to some DO schools, but might not have a chance to get to know the doctor I'm shadowing well enough to ask for a letter. One of my science professors writing a letter for me is an MD. I was just wondering if that would count as my MD/DO letter? Thanks!

Hey SDN,

Just wondering whether you think LORs from professors should specify "osteopathic medicine" instead of just "medicine". I was hoping to simply use the LORs mentioning just "medicine" for AACOMAS as well as AMCAS, but if doing so is a problem, then I guess I will advise my referees about the distinction.

Thanks guys. :)

Check with your school, they might have a pre-health office that handles all of your letters. Interfolio is another way of doing it as well, you can have your letter writers send them there.

My school doesn't have a pre-health office unfortunately :( Do I need a separate account for LoR on interfolio, or do I use my aacomas information? Or should I handle LoR through a different system? Thanks!

BTW, when is/was the best time to ask for LoR?

Thanks!

Hey guys,

I'm in a situation where I am applying to some DO schools, but might not have a chance to get to know the doctor I'm shadowing well enough to ask for a letter. One of my science professors writing a letter for me is an MD. I was just wondering if that would count as my MD/DO letter? Thanks!
Yep it would count - just make sure it meets the requirements of specific schools. Some schools require a DO letter and some want your physician letter to detail patient care exposure.

Hey SDN,

Just wondering whether you think LORs from professors should specify "osteopathic medicine" instead of just "medicine". I was hoping to simply use the LORs mentioning just "medicine" for AACOMAS as well as AMCAS, but if doing so is a problem, then I guess I will advise my referees about the distinction.

Thanks guys. :)
Either would be totally fine.

My school doesn't have a pre-health office unfortunately :( Do I need a separate account for LoR on interfolio, or do I use my aacomas information? Or should I handle LoR through a different system? Thanks!

BTW, when is/was the best time to ask for LoR?

Thanks!
Yes you need to create a separate Interfolio account. It's not linked in any way to your AACOMAS account. The best time to ask for a LOR in my opinion is a few months before you need it. At the very minimum, give your letter-writer a week or two to write it.

So I just found out that the DO writing one of my letters sent my recommendation a few days after I submitted my primary. How will I know if the schools properly received them? Will I have to contact them all individually?

What materials do you give potential letter writers?

Does interfolio cost money to use? Is there are interfolio tutorial somewhere? Not sure which one to buy (if any).

Thanks

Last edited:
I've started receiving secondaries, but one of my science professor's LOR won't be written until Mid-Late July, and the other likely won't be ready until mid August. How much of a disadvantage does this put me at since I have to put most of my secondaries on hold until one or both of these are in?

Can someone please explain Interfolio to me? Do I get to read the letters people write before I send them off?

Am I on the correct site -- does Interfolio cost money?

How should I go about asking for letters -- in person or email, and which materials should I give them?

Thank you!

Can someone please explain Interfolio to me? Do I get to read the letters people write before I send them off?

You will creat a letter request for each letter writer. You will indicate whether or not the letter being requested is confidential or non-confidential. If you indicate non-confidential, you will be able to read the letter once it is submitted. Keep in mind: your letter writers, as well as anyone you send the letters to (including medical schools) will see that the letter is non-confidential.

Am I on the correct site -- does Interfolio cost money?

Yes, Interfolio is a paid-for service.

How should I go about asking for letters -- in person or email, and which materials should I give them?

Either way is acceptable. It depends on your relationship with the potential letter writer. I used email for most of mine since I knew they were extremely busy.

Some of them may ask for specific materials. This also depends on how well they know you. It is typical to include a resume/CV and a brief synopsis of what you want to do with your career.

Hey so as soon as you submit your secondary application to a DO school, is it safe to send your secondary letters right afterwards? Is that the best timing to submit the letters? Thanks

My school makes us wait till we have at least one secondary request then they upload it to every school.

You will creat a letter request for each letter writer. You will indicate whether or not the letter being requested is confidential or non-confidential. If you indicate non-confidential, you will be able to read the letter once it is submitted. Keep in mind: your letter writers, as well as anyone you send the letters to (including medical schools) will see that the letter is non-confidential.

Yes, Interfolio is a paid-for service.

Either way is acceptable. It depends on your relationship with the potential letter writer. I used email for most of mine since I knew they were extremely busy.

Some of them may ask for specific materials. This also depends on how well they know you. It is typical to include a resume/CV and a brief synopsis of what you want to do with your career.
Thanks for the help! Does it make a difference if they are confidential letters or not? What do most do?

Thanks for the help! Does it make a difference if they are confidential letters or not? What do most do?

Some schools will require confidential letters. If not, they certainly pay attention to it.

The reasoning is: your letter writers will be more honest if they know you can't see the letters.

I know someone who had letters that were not confidential and she was asked about it in her interview.

Go with the confidential letters.

Some schools will require confidential letters. If not, they certainly pay attention to it.

The reasoning is: your letter writers will be more honest if they know you can't see the letters.

I know someone who had letters that were not confidential and she was asked about it in her interview.

Go with the confidential letters.

Do you by chance know which schools this is? I don't see it mentioned at all in the 2014 booklet. Also, do I just tell the letter writer please don't show me, or how do I request a confidential one? Thanks again!!

Do you by chance know which schools this is? I don't see it mentioned at all in the 2014 booklet. Also, do I just tell the letter writer please don't show me, or how do I request a confidential one? Thanks again!!

I don't know which school. I'm not sure of which school have this requirement, but it will typically be on their website or on their secondary application.

If you use AMCAS to request your letters, it will be confidential, unless you request a copy from the letter writer.

If you use Interfolio, you mark it as confidential, and you will not have access to it.

In either case, you should not have access to the letter, since your letter writer will submit it themselves.

You can mention to them that the letter will be confidential so that they understand they are free to be as honest as possible.

I don't know which school. I'm not sure of which school have this requirement, but it will typically be on their website or on their secondary application.

If you use AMCAS to request your letters, it will be confidential, unless you request a copy from the letter writer.

If you use Interfolio, you mark it as confidential, and you will not have access to it.

In either case, you should not have access to the letter, since your letter writer will submit it themselves.

You can mention to them that the letter will be confidential so that they understand they are free to be as honest as possible.

Thanks for the reply. I'm actually using aacomas though, not amcas. Do you know of any schools? To be honest this is the first I'm hearing of private letters and it's not mentioned anywhere in the DO school booklet.

Thanks for the reply. I'm actually using aacomas though, not amcas. Do you know of any schools? To be honest this is the first I'm hearing of private letters and it's not mentioned anywhere in the DO school booklet.

I do not know of specific schools. You can check their individual websites to see what their letter requirements are.

Maybe others can comment on their experiences or opinions of confidential or non-confidential letters.

I do not know of specific schools. You can check their individual websites to see what their letter requirements are.

Maybe others can comment on their experiences or opinions of confidential or non-confidential letters.
Thanks -- I've done a bit more research and although I still can't find it explicitly, a lot of people seem to agree with you. Thanks for the help!

Does anyone know the policy on sending letters from those who aren't profs, such as an employer?

To cover all the schools, would I be safe in getting: 1 DO letter, 2 science prof letters, and 1 non-science prof letters, or are there any other requirements?

Thanks!

edit: Sorry, I'm also wondering, what's the best way to ask for a LoR? Is email and then a phone-call reminder a decent plan?

So I was just contacted by CCOM today that they would not accept one of my LOR. I have one from a science professor who taught my Essentials of Human Nutrition class and they were unwilling to accept it because they say its a nutrition class not a science class. I was a bit flustered because the class code at my university is BSC a.k.a. Biology of SCIENCE. I sent them another letter but should I be worried that other schools are going to give me problems as well?

I think AACOMAS lists this type of class as "non-science"...but it's been awhile since I've seen an admssions packet.

So I was just contacted by CCOM today that they would not accept one of my LOR. I have one from a science professor who taught my Essentials of Human Nutrition class and they were unwilling to accept it because they say its a nutrition class not a science class. I was a bit flustered because the class code at my university is BSC a.k.a. Biology of SCIENCE. I sent them another letter but should I be worried that other schools are going to give me problems as well?

I just checked and it lists it as "other science". Im not really sure why. I go to a major university and if they list it as a biological science class then why wouldn't it be a biological science class when applying?

Bump! I'm also wondering, what materials should I provide to potential letter writers, and what's a good thing to say in an email to them? Remind them about the class, etc?

do we tell the letter writers to address our name and AACOMAS ID on the LORs or do we have an option to include AACOMAS ID in Interfolio? Marian requires ID to be on LORs to download.

do we tell the letter writers to address our name and AACOMAS ID on the LORs or do we have an option to include AACOMAS ID in Interfolio? Marian requires ID to be on LORs to download.

From what I've heard Interfolio adds your AACOMAS ID to the letter.

when you deliver your LoRs, interfolio will ask you if you want to include your aacomas id.

Does anyone know the policy on sending letters from those who aren't profs, such as an employer?

The policy? You can send any letters you want, but schools probably want you to keep it limited to a few. I'd follow their requirements.

To cover all the schools, would I be safe in getting: 1 DO letter, 2 science prof letters, and 1 non-science prof letters, or are there any other requirements?

Some schools require a letter from a premedical advisor or a committee letter if you have one at your university. All this information can be found here: http://www.aacom.org/resources/bookstore/cib/Documents/2014cib/2014 CIB Complete Small.pdf

edit: Sorry, I'm also wondering, what's the best way to ask for a LoR? Is email and then a phone-call reminder a decent plan?

An e-mail is probably not the best way to ask for a LoR. It is best if you meet with the person face to face.

Hey All,

I know NOVA does interviews without all letters being in--but are there any other?

Situation: I finally started shadowing a DO physician, but she wants me to shadow for at least a month before she will write me a letter. My AACOMAS is already verified and I'm already sending secondariness--but I'm lacking in my physician letter in each one.

Wanting to see if I should start searching again if a good number of schools won't even look at me without physician LOR.

Thanks!