*Official June 2017 MCAT Thread*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ICUBlue

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I haven't seen a thread for this month so let's get this one going! Share study plans, questions, and motivation.

My test is June 17th and I started using TBR over winter break and doing ~15 hours each week during the semester leading up to full time studying starting in May.

What's everyone else's plans? Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Out of curiosity what did you guys find so difficult about the c/p? I always thought it was the easiest of the 4 sections.
Honety I thought C/P was one of the easiest too. (Second to B/BC). This section was always second highest for me with psych/soc occasionally passing it. But this section was unreal. Yeah there were some simple ones. Maybe a few. But for the most part, I would come across passages about things I was very familiar with, and I'm generally pretty good at chem, but these passages were unreal. It seemed like they would devise the most difficult way of asking a question with the most difficult wording or something. Idk, it wasn't easy. Maybe I was just overwhelmed because the first few couple of passages/questions were very hard? Overall - don't let tough passages get to you. They will show up. If you can't answer it with re-reading the question twice then move on so that you can at least attemp all the passages. That's my only regret with the whole exam; this section, and not managing my time correctly. I know everyone struggled with this section. But those who managed their time well had a better shot of scoring higher if they were at least able to attempt every passage.

I've read a few comments saying the C/P was very calculation heavy haha. Hoping your takeaway is more indicative of my exam tomorrow.
Yeah I'm reading that too and I'm kinda confused. Unless we just had completely different exams...lol C/P is my worst section ALWAYS. My strategy is to skip all math problems until the very end because chances are I won't get them right either way and I don't like to waste my time on them when I could be answering other (non math based) questions. I did this for the actual exam as well and really felt like I only had to go back to like 3/4? Everyone in my test center felt the same. Wishing you luck!

Did anyone take the June 30th exam today. Any thoughts?

For me bio was relatively fair and easy. Everything else was a bit more complicated. Psych for me is usually my best sections alongside bio. Today however, that was not the case.

Members don't see this ad :)
CP destroyed me. I felt like it was stuff I hadn't seen at all (have been practicing with AAMC material past two weeks). Very calculation heavy. Anyhow I'm pretty sure I missed like 30 questions.

Bio was good, I began to run out time though.

Overall, not at all confident post-exam.

Did anyone take the June 30th exam today. Any thoughts?

For me bio was relatively fair and easy. Everything else was a bit more complicated. Psych for me is usually my best sections alongside bio. Today however, that was not the case.

C/P: It wasn't bad. But a few of the passages threw me off. It's usually my worst section.

Bio: destroyed my life. A girl in my testing center said the same thing.

CARS: saving grace... lol. I was happy with most of the passages except 1 or 2 of them.

Psych: Idk... just hoping for the best.

Just got done with mine. Dare I say zero section bank like questions and bio for chemistry/physics which scares me because I think the curve won't be forgiving. Psychology and sociology and we're just like AAMC Full length 2. Very ambiguous. Cars seemed pretty straightforward and I have a feeling the curve will not be forgiving for this section either. Very little critical analysis or reasoning in the chemistry/physics section. You either knew the answers or you didn't from content review basically. There were some pretty cheap questions where depending on what source you used for prep, the answer may be different. Overall this test was easier than I expected. More indicative of the full lengths than section bank for sure

Reactions: 1 user
6/30 here just got out.

CPS: Pretty fair honestly; about what I saw in NS- FL 4 and 5, if not slightly easier. Usually my worst section but today went pretty well.

CARS: Again, pretty fair for what I've seen.

B/BS: Loved it.

PSBS: What the ****.... >.<

LOL psych/soc threw me off guard completely. I took AAMC 2 yesterday, got 129 on the psych section. Then today.... I don't even know what happened.

Chemphys and CARS are always my worst. I'm just glad it's over. -hope for the best-

Was everyone's CPS based on more gchem math or physics math? Also what is the best way to prepare for a heavy math section for people taking their mcat in July? Would you advise us to focus on Kaplan, Princeton, NextStep, Exam Cracker, or AAMC material?

"Heavy" math is not what you think. People consider heavy math when they're bad at basic algebra/trig and have no idea how to convert between units

Took it yesterday as well. P/C was strange, tested on few weak points (orgo), but I think it was a fair section overall. CARS was straightforward, usually my weakest section. Was surprised to understand the Victorian passage which i actually enjoyed reading. The Polish revolution was also great, since it was connected with my country of origin (France). B/B decent, but P/S was really strange. It was like another CARS; the terms were not unfamiliar, but had a lot of similarities. Now the wait game!!! Which section do y'all think the curve will mostly hit?

Members don't see this ad :)
I thought the two science sections were decent, had some tricky questions, but the passages were useful to give you some hints.

CARS, my worst section usually, was ehhhh. Not sure if ehhhh is an adjective, but that's how I felt about it. Always widdling it down to two answers.

P/S was like nothing I have seen within the study material and practice tests I have taken... not sure what was going on with that. August 1st can't come soon enough.

Is anyone else going to continue to lightly study in case they want to retake it in late August/early September?

Took it yesterday as well. P/C was strange, tested on few weak points (orgo), but I think it was a fair section overall. CARS was straightforward, usually my weakest section. Was surprised to understand the Victorian passage which i actually enjoyed reading. The Polish revolution was also great, since it was connected with my country of origin (France). B/B decent, but P/S was really strange. It was like another CARS; the terms were not unfamiliar, but had a lot of similarities. Now the wait game!!! Which section do y'all think the curve will mostly hit?

I think P/S, looking at everyones' reactions towards it.

There was one in the revolution passage that I COULD NOT figure out, and I think it may have been a typo.

I thought the two science sections were decent, had some tricky questions, but the passages were useful to give you some hints.

CARS, my worst section usually, was ehhhh. Not sure if ehhhh is an adjective, but that's how I felt about it. Always widdling it down to two answers.

P/S was like nothing I have seen within the study material and practice tests I have taken... not sure what was going on with that. August 1st can't come soon enough.

Is anyone else going to continue to lightly study in case they want to retake it in late August/early September?

I'm taking a week break but then will slowly ease into some light review in case I have to take the September 9th exam. Thinking I'll just do some Khan vids and maybe review flashcards for an hour a day until I know how it went August 1st.

I agree with the general sentiment here. C/P was always my worst section, and it was difficult on test day, but seemed pretty straight up and down. CARS was my best section in my FLs and I felt like this one was more difficult for whatever reason. B/B seemed pretty smooth for me. P/S was very odd, a lot of terms I hadn't seen before. I think I did pretty good on P/S actually but if I had to guess I'd say this will be the most "curved" section; I've read a lot of stuff on here and reddit and most people seem to think it was hardest. Certainly seemed the most unlike any of the official FLs I took.

Good luck to each of you!

6/29 test taker here.

I felt C/P was not too bad, definitely had some calculations, but they didn't seem too difficult.

CARS also didn't seem bad at all, felt better than I did on practice exams.

B/BC, this had some difficult passages for me. Usually this is my best section, but I'm not too confident as I normally am after this exam with this section. Not horribly worried, but just a little nervous.

P/S, this section was brutal, could be the fatigue kicking in, but I felt that this section was much more difficult than any of the practice exams that I took.

Are 6/29 and 6/30 on the same scoring scale? I just see that the reddit reaction forums aren't split up and judging by some reactions to specific questions, both tests had some of the same questions.

If we don't keep this thread going, I'm going to lose my mind. How is everyone passing the time?

I went out and bought a PS4 and Assassin's Creed Syndicate yesterday hehe

If we don't keep this thread going, I'm going to lose my mind. How is everyone passing the time?

I'm currently having nightmares about my MCAT score. I had a new one yesterday where I got a 515 and was super excited. I then rechecked my score to see that the 1 had dropped to give me a 505. Confused, I called AAMC to correct the discrepancy after which AAMC proceeded to tell me that "they're sorry, they mixed up two student scores and I actually have the wrong score listed...my actual score is not 505. It's a 496." I woke up with heart palpitations. This nightmare could become very real...I don't think I did well at all :(

I'm currently having nightmares about my MCAT score. I had a new one yesterday where I got a 515 and was super excited. I then rechecked my score to see that the 1 had dropped to give me a 505. Confused, I called AAMC to correct the discrepancy after which AAMC proceeded to tell me that "they're sorry, they mixed up two student scores and I actually have the wrong score listed...my actual score is not 505. It's a 496." I woke up with heart palpitations. This nightmare could become very real...I don't think I did well at all :(
I'm just freaking about chem/phys is all. I scored a 124 and 126 respectively on AAMC FL1 and 2. 2 was after I had memorized my amino acids and physics formulas. I walked out of the test and immediately realized I got 4-5 questions wrong in that section... They were gimme's too.

After writing a few secondaries I'm about to buy Conan and get back into Skyrim. Lol

I feel busier now than I was before...

Back to work full time as a nurse.
Catching up on all housework I put off in the name of the MCAT.
Finally spending time w my family.
Back to volunteering and lab work.
Finally getting those needed doctor appointments in.
Oh and my car got hit so dealing w insurance.

Hoping this month flies.

Are 6/29 and 6/30 on the same scoring scale? I just see that the reddit reaction forums aren't split up and judging by some reactions to specific questions, both tests had some of the same questions.

I'm interested in the answer to this question too...

I tested on 6/30. I don't know about everyone else, but I had extreme anxiety for the first 10 minutes or so and felt like I couldn't think at all. Thank god that went away. C/P was fair with a few crazy questions. B/B seemed very straightforward with a couple of very detailed questions that I felt someone would only know if it was their primary area of study. P/S was a breeze. It was definitely different than anything I had practiced, but the clues were there in either the question stem or the passage to indicate what they wanted. Cars is a blur and that is usually how I always feel after that section. I finished everything on time with the most remaining time (20 mins) in the P/S section. Overall I feel very positive about it. I'm predicting between 514-520 depending on the curve.

I tested on 6/30. I don't know about everyone else, but I had extreme anxiety for the first 10 minutes or so and felt like I couldn't think at all. Thank god that went away. C/P was fair with a few crazy questions. B/B seemed very straightforward with a couple of very detailed questions that I felt someone would only know if it was their primary area of study. P/S was a breeze. It was definitely different than anything I had practiced, but the clues were there in either the question stem or the passage to indicate what they wanted. Cars is a blur and that is usually how I always feel after that section. I finished everything on time with the most remaining time (20 mins) in the P/S section. Overall I feel very positive about it. I'm predicting between 514-520 depending on the curve.

I have like the same reaction to all of this. That first ten minutes was terrible, especially since I realized two minutes in I had to pee and got all f-ing anxious bc of it but thankfully it went away.

Ditto everything.

I don't mind missing something because I just didn't know it, but what infuriates me to no end is thinking about something I might have missed just because I was stressed out at first

I have like the same reaction to all of this. That first ten minutes was terrible, especially since I realized two minutes in I had to pee and got all f-ing anxious bc of it but thankfully it went away.

Ditto everything.

I had to pee right away too, I tried leaving but they wouldnt let me lol. I also panicked a lot at the get go. I'm sure it didnt impact our performance on that section as much as you might fear it did.

Anybody else feeling a sense of impending doom about tomorrow's score release?

Me right now
subfz.jpg

Last edited:
Is it better to wish someone good luck the day before the test, or the day before the scores are released?

Do you guys know what time the May scores were released? I'm wondering when to expect the score and whether AAMC will release them early tmrw?

their twitter posts went like this: 6am "scores will be released by 5 pm today" 830-10 am "scores have been posted"

ah okay, thanks! I checked reddit and SDN but didn't think to check twitter.

It looks like all the recent scores have been posted around 8am :scared: that's so soon, it's scary lol I want them to post, but at the same time, I don't want to look

I'm interested in the answer to this question too...

Not everyone receives the same test on a given day. Individual questions have their own scale :)
Also, is anyone else still awake because of nerves? I feel like my entire future is dependent on this stupid test score, and I can't sleep!! 8am cannot come fast enough

Feeling nauseous with a horrible, jumpy feeling in my stomach. I decided to come to work so that it would distract me, but it doesn't seem to be working :lame: honestly, the emotions this test brings is like a tornado...

Feeling nauseous with a horrible, jumpy feeling in my stomach. I decided to come to work so that it would distract me, but it doesn't seem to be working :lame: honestly, the emotions this test brings is like a tornado...
Me too !! I'm at work on sdn stressing!! I hope you did well.