OFFICIAL Interview Invite Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone heard anything for the CLINICAL Ph.D. programs for:

UNM
UH
Texas A&M

I am also curious if Univ. of New Mexico has finished extending invites. Other than one person on the board I have heard nothing.

Members don't see this ad.

UNM
UH
Texas A&M

I emailed my POI at A&M last week and in his reply, he told me all interview invites have been sent out. So I guess I will not be going back to my alma mater to get a phd.

Nothing better than getting back from a great interview at one school only to check my mail and find a rejection letter from another school. Oh well. My interview at VCU was amazing! I love the school the program the lab everything!!!! I walked out of my interviews feeling really good too yippeeeee. I did however just get my snail mail rejection from Miami. Bummer. But who cares - Im in love with VCU! (i only hope they love me as much as i love them!)

Members don't see this ad :)

UNM
UH
Texas A&M

I have not heard a peep from University of Hawaii, and their website says that they do not conduct interviews (just phone interviews in rare cases). Wouldn't Hawaii be a nice setting for a Ph.D. program? On the other hand, I probably would not get any homework done! Good luck :) !

do you need an MA first to apply to the PhD program at Hawai'i?

I have not heard a peep from University of Hawaii, and their website says that they do not conduct interviews (just phone interviews in rare cases). Wouldn't Hawaii be a nice setting for a Ph.D. program? On the other hand, I probably would not get any homework done! Good luck :) !

I applied to UH-Manoa without a master's and didn't see that I needed a master's to apply... so... hopefully not!

For the original person that posted about UH, who is your person of interest?

Nothing better than getting back from a great interview at one school only to check my mail and find a rejection letter from another school. Oh well. My interview at VCU was amazing! I love the school the program the lab everything!!!! I walked out of my interviews feeling really good too yippeeeee. I did however just get my snail mail rejection from Miami. Bummer. But who cares - Im in love with VCU! (i only hope they love me as much as i love them!)

Good luck with VCU! I went there for my undergrad and loved every minute of it. Richmond is a really fun place to live, too. Feel free to ask me any questions about the school/city if you still have any!

You don't need a master's to apply to UH.
I went to UH for undergrad and although it's a beautiful place to live, here is the downside:
-students take forever to graduate (about 8 years, I have also known a few who took 15!)
-funding ain't great
-many of the faculty members are CBT or die! (they make fun of other orientations)
-Oahu is overpopulated
-Oahu's cost of living is ridiculous (just check Craig's list)
-Oahu's traffic is horrible at almost all hours.

I interviewed at VCU for the counseling psychology program. Is Richmond really that great of a place to live?

Jenny5

What would you say is the reason for it taking so long for some students to graduate?

I've never heard of it taking a psychology grad student (history maybe, but not psychology) taking 15 years to graduate, that's CRAZY!

hermionephd-

There have been problems with the dissertation committees making students re-do their dissertations over and over and over again. I have heard rumors that the program is on some sort of probation because their students are taking so long to graduate.
Current grad students are working hard to change that. And it definitely depends on your mentor too. The ones you picked are mos def good ones :)

Regarding UT-Austin, I did a phone interview a few weeks back and got an immediate offer to fly down and check out the lab. But my POI was the neuropsychology person, and I understand the neuropsych department is somewhat separated from the rest of the clinical department.

in other words, do not abandon hope!

You don't need a master's to apply to UH.
I went to UH for undergrad and although it's a beautiful place to live, here is the downside:
-students take forever to graduate (about 8 years, I have also known a few who took 15!)
-funding ain't great
-many of the faculty members are CBT or die! (they make fun of other orientations)
-Oahu is overpopulated
-Oahu's cost of living is ridiculous (just check Craig's list)
-Oahu's traffic is horrible at almost all hours.

I interviewed at VCU for the counseling psychology program. Is Richmond really that great of a place to live?

One of my best friends goes to VCU and moved from outside DC to Richmond when he was accepted there. He loves the school itself but hates the city. Apparently crime is really high and he's said that as a guy he's okay but he can't imagine being a young woman in Richmond. He may just be blowing it out of proportion but I'm not sure... sorry!

Has anyone heard anything from Eastern Michigan University or Wayne State University? I've heard that Eastern is going to be doing interviews March 9th, but that is quite unofficial.

I got a letter from Eastern on saturday (2/17) for interviews, they are doing them March 9th and 10th.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know this has been asked before, but I wanted to see if anyone has heard from George Washington U's clinical program, or if they know if this is accurate info. By the sounds of this, people should have heard by now (February is finishing up fast, and it says they interview by the beginning of March)....perhaps that puts me out of the running....darn.

I emailed GWU about when they'd be alerting applicants as to whether they got an interview or not, and here was the answer:

"We usually select our interview pool the first week in February, and try to schedule our interviews by the beginning of March."

I'm keeping my fingers crossed!!!!

I know this has been asked before, but I wanted to see if anyone has heard from George Washington U's clinical program, or if they know if this is accurate info. By the sounds of this, people should have heard by now (February is finishing up fast, and it says they interview by the beginning of March)....perhaps that puts me out of the running....darn.
So far as I can tell, no one has heard anything either way. That is for the PhD program, though; I believe all of the PsyD invites went out already.

My friend got invited to the GW Clinical Ph.D. interview about a week ago. I think she'll be going on March 3rd or 5th.:(

All right, all right, I know that there is a "Canadian" thread on the site and I've been posting there too, but I thought I would query as to whether or not anyone else out there has heard anything from Simon Fraser, UBC, or UVic? The interview invite thread gets a lot more exposure. I know that Simon Fraser is supposedly hosting their interviews today an tomorrow, but I believe that UVic and UBC do not hold interviews and contact people sometime before April. Has anyone else out there applied to any of these schools or perhaps even interviewed at or been contacted by POIs? Shot in the dark, I know. I am keeping my fingers crossed, but wondering if anyone else out there is in my boat or been there done that.

Has anyone heard anything from The University of Texas or Southern Methodist University. I talked with SMU last week and the secretary told me that invites would be forthcoming but I have read in other spots here on SDN that some people have already had interviews. I am confused and would like some clarity about either they have or have not or are or are not going to be having any more interviews. WHEW!!!! that was exhausting. Please inform me if you have any information.

Oh!!!! and congratulations to all of you who have interviewed and those of you who have been accepted to a program:love:. Feel the love.

I applied to UH-Manoa without a master's and didn't see that I needed a master's to apply... so... hopefully not!

For the original person that posted about UH, who is your person of interest?

My person of interest is K. M. Vitousek at the University of Hawaii. Also, I have not heard anything from Southern Methodist University. Good luck everyone...and hopefully this week will be full of good news!

My person of interest is K. M. Vitousek at the University of Hawaii. Also, I have not heard anything from Southern Methodist University. Good luck everyone...and hopefully this week will be full of good news!

Thanks for the reply StillHopeful, maybe we will hear soon. I know they have done a first wave of interviews but I can not find a admission status page on their website other than the payment received page to know where I stand. It is so frustrating:smuggrin:

My friend got invited to the GW Clinical Ph.D. interview about a week ago. I think she'll be going on March 3rd or 5th.:(

Darn, it was the PhD that I was asking about. You wouldn't happen to know if it was a personal invite from her POI or a mass email type of thing, would you?

Thanks a lot for your reply, Jenny5!

To jump in on the Richmond convo, I am from VA and went to college in VA and hate richmond. It's the sketchiest city I know of, and I live outside DC. I have found it to be dirty, with ridiculously high crime rates. My brother went to VCU, he lived in 3 different apartments in richmond, and 2 of the 3 were broken in to. So thats just my opinion. Just be safe!

Darn, it was the PhD that I was asking about. You wouldn't happen to know if it was a personal invite from her POI or a mass email type of thing, would you?

Thanks a lot for your reply, Jenny5!
bummerrrr...

but I second AnotherCanadian; any additional information you could supply would be very helpful!

Sorry to be re-asking things, but does anyone have info about interviews for the clinical phd at LIU-Brooklyn? I know some interview offers have been extended....if you got one, was it a mass email or a personal invitation? Was it for a big day or just a one-on-one that you scheduled? Is anyone else still waiting?

I am really just trying to find out if there is any reason for me to keep a shred of hope alive about this one. I haven't received a rejection from them....but seems like some people got interviews ages ago....sorry if this question is a repeat, I searched but didnt' find any clear answers on the boards...

I happen to really like Richmond. The crime there seems to be pretty localized in specific areas and not just rampant throughotu the entire city. The crime rates are the same (if not better) as many other cities, inclkuding the two I've lived in - Atlanta and Charleston. The crime rates for Richmond are ranked the same as the Norfolk area. All of it is just knowing where you are and being smart about things. i live in downtown Charleston and I certainly don't go into certain areas by myself and I dont walk alone ever and the such. Just make smart decisions and know where youre living and its not as dangerous of a city as this thread is making it seem.

does anyone have info about interviews for the clinical phd at LIU-Brooklyn?

I wouldn't like to bring bad news to anyone. I'll just write what I know:

As I wrote before, I was invited for an interview by phone last week and was given the choice between two dates: February 24th and March 3rd. This will be an individual interview, but I don't know with whom.

I don't know whether they have more interview dates or if they are done with the invites. I hope this reply won't discourage you in any way.

I wouldn't like to bring bad news to anyone. I'll just write what I know:

As I wrote before, I was invited for an interview by phone last week and was given the choice between two dates: February 24th and March 3rd. This will be an individual interview, but I don't know with whom.

I don't know whether they have more interview dates or if they are done with the invites. I hope this reply won't discourage you in any way.

Thanks Orchid. I know nobody likes to be the bearer of bad news, but I really appreciate it. I think waiting and uncertainty are the worst part of this process. Sounds like LIU is off the table for me....but, if anyone has heard more recently, or knows if they might still offer interviews, etc. let us know!

Good luck at your interview Orchid!

I just heard from LIU by phone on Friday evening (around 5) to set up an interview, so it is possible that they are still inviting people for interviews.

Hope it helps.

All right, all right, I know that there is a "Canadian" thread on the site and I've been posting there too, but I thought I would query as to whether or not anyone else out there has heard anything from Simon Fraser, UBC, or UVic? The interview invite thread gets a lot more exposure. I know that Simon Fraser is supposedly hosting their interviews today an tomorrow, but I believe that UVic and UBC do not hold interviews and contact people sometime before April. Has anyone else out there applied to any of these schools or perhaps even interviewed at or been contacted by POIs? Shot in the dark, I know. I am keeping my fingers crossed, but wondering if anyone else out there is in my boat or been there done that.

Hey there, out of your schools I've only applied to Uvic. I called yesterday and they're still going over applications. They haven't done any interviews. I'm not even sure if they actually do interviews though. The graduate advisor said they're making decisions within the next 2-3 weeks. Hope that helps.

I spoke with a friend who is currently a PHd student at GW and he said they still have not sent out invites and that they should be finished with the process by the end of this week.

I know someone mentioned that their friend was invited....sounds strange maybe they were personally contacted by their POI??

So long Pittsburgh...

Duquesne has apparently sent out all 27 of their interview invites for clinical psych PhD.

My friend that got invited to GWU was sent a mass email on 2/15 from the director of clinical training.
The email does state that if an applicant declines the invitation to attend the GWU interview, that they will "offer this interview slot to the next applicant on our waiting list".

Richmond is ranked #9 for the most dangerous city in the nation. Living in downtown Charleston is like living in a make believe world. In terms of crime, basically none- north Charleston is where the problems are.

-regardless- Along with the crimes, I was just stating that I have found Richmond to be dirty, industrial and just non appealing.

Just my opinion

Richmond is ranked #9 for the most dangerous city in the nation. Living in downtown Charleston is like living in a make believe world. In terms of crime, basically none- north Charleston is where the problems are.

-regardless- Along with the crimes, I was just stating that I have found Richmond to be dirty, industrial and just non appealing.

Just my opinion

um yea only if you live in the insanely rich part of charleston down by the water ... other parts of downtown are not safe ... places were 5th graders are being arrested at elementary school for selling crack and 2nd graders are bringing knives to school ... yea that also happens in downtown charleston ... im just saying .. richmond is just as dangerous as many of the other cities peopel are applying to school to - st louis, atlanta, cleveland. theres crime in every city

i dont want to fight about which city is more dangerous on this thread. im on this thread and have been posting on here for awhile to get support and provide support and i get back from a really great interview and instead of receivin any support on here alkl i hear is how terrible of a place richmond is. well guess what - thats where the program and the research i want to be doing is. if im not goign to receive support for that on here and just get a negative reaction than i'm goign to leave the thread. im happy with the school and my interview and thats all that should matter.

Hi Folks,

Let's not turn the interview thread into a Richmond-bashing thread…my feelings are getting hurt. I grew up in Richmond and went to VCU. I live in Manhattan, now. I will say that if you want dirt & filth, you can focus on it in any city. I’m proud of Richmond and my education at VCU - it's a large institution that’s combined with Medical College of Virginia.

Now, I think Richmond is one of the most beautiful cities, full of history. It has pretty parks, decent museums, and a lot of culture. It’s small enough to navigate, but large enough to offer diversity. It’s affordable and there are plenty of choices in the city and surrounding counties to find a place to live that suits your needs. "The Fan," which is where VCU is located, is an awesome neighborhood with cool restaurants and lots of character – I lived there AND never had my apartment broken into (hint: don’t leave your windows open, doors unlocked, etc. – little joke about city safety). MCV is located downtown, which is like any metropolitan area. You just have to be smart and not put yourself in strange situations at odd times. When addressing the crime rate, you have to look at the crimes per capita and weigh the population numbers. You would not have cause to go to the neighborhoods where the crimes are concentrated unless you choose to do so.

If I were offered admissions to VCU's doctoral program, I would most likely accept from what I know of the program during my undergraduate exposure to faculty, etc. However, for other reasons unrelated, I did not apply there. I would not turn VCU down because of its location. But, that's me...and may look at things differently from others. :cool:

Good luck when weighing your alternatives because I think it is worth consideration.

So, I e-mailed BC's Counseling program this afternoon, asking if they'd finished extending interview invitations. I was expecting to receive a polite, "Yes, we have. I'm sorry." as interviews are supposedly being held February 26th & 28th (six and eight days away, respectively). Instead, I was informed that applications are still being reviewed. I'm elated to still have hope. But, jeez. Any day now?

Anyone else thing they'd at least have heard from half of their schools by now? :p

I feel the same way! Especially since Rutgers is doing their interviews the 26th and I still haven't heard anything from them. My online applications till says "no decision". just make a decision already, quit making me get premature grey hairs!

I know that money is a big deal with choosing a school but try and be grateful for someone paying you to get an education. One offer I got of $19,000 is the same as some people I work with are raising children on and so try and realize you can live on the stipends offered if you live like a student

I know that money is a big deal with choosing a school but try and be grateful for someone paying you to get an education. One offer I got of $19,000 is the same as some people I work with are raising children on and so try and realize you can live on the stipends offered if you live like a student

I may have missed what this post was in reference to...that being said, it is nice to have someone pay for your education, especially taking into account the tuition they cover. However, it should be noted that, as of their close-to-latest (2 years ago and I havn't looked since) report, the Bureau of Labor Statistics found the "poverty level" for one adult (living in a metropolitan area), to be just over $10K. Now, I do not know what bundle of goods they consider it necessary to have before one hits the poverty line, and I am not suggesting it is impossible to live at a salary below this (ignoring loans for a moment) level. I am noting that the median assistantship for a clinical psychology doctoral program (acc. APA's 2001 survey) is between $10 and $11K yearly. Also, I think it is important to realize the opportunity cost you pay for not working those however many years. Whatever, just things to take into account. *I certainly am psyched for graduate school; I just need to be sure I can afford to pay interest on my undergraduate loans as I get through my graduate years.

I talked with SMU last week and the secretary told me that invites would be forthcoming but I have read in other spots here on SDN that some people have already had interviews. I am confused and would like some clarity about either they have or have not or are or are not going to be having any more interviews. WHEW!!!! that was exhausting. Please inform me if you have any information.

SMU seems to have some consistency problems. I received an email reply (after 1 week of waiting) and was told invites had gone out to select applicants.This was about 2 weeks ago. I have heard different things from others so I have no idea at this point. Either way it doesn't give me a good feeling about the program. They don't seem very on the ball.

pfft, $19,000? I'd consider myself so fortunate! I earn less than that (approximately 1/2) now on my GA stipend. To think that I quit a $40K/yr job w/ full benefits to go pursue additional education. :D Of course, I still can't complain as my mother barely earned $9-11K/yr to raise a family of six. At this point, I'm happy simply obtaining an acceptance somwhere--screw the cost (for the time being).

So long Pittsburgh...

Duquesne has apparently sent out all 27 of their interview invites for clinical psych PhD.

Sorry you did get your interview but you should get extra credit just for applying there. I happened to read the program material, which is fascinating, but was scared off from applying since it is so far off the mainstream path. I mean a whole program founded with Keirkegaard in mind. That is a one of a kind program. True it is APA accredited so they must be doing something right but I wonder if the mainstream departments around the country really take them serious. One can't even send a general personal statement there which could be sent to other schools since they want to know all about one's guiding philosophy and they do really mean Philosophy with a capital "P". My guess is that Dusquene is the one clinical psychology school that one could really write his/ her way into and so I would think it must be very self-selective. By the time you were finished composing the essays did you get the feeling you would be accepted? That might sound strange but I would suspect most of their applicants know after struggling with the writing.

I suppose if we discuss this further it should be private since I do not think everyone else would care to hear about an existentialist clinical psychology department. Sorry, to waste everyone's time but I have been waiting to see if anyone actually applied there and finally one showed up.

SMU seems to have some consistency problems. I received an email reply (after 1 week of waiting) and was told invites had gone out to select applicants.This was about 2 weeks ago. I have heard different things from others so I have no idea at this point. Either way it doesn't give me a good feeling about the program. They don't seem very on the ball.

I agree about the inconsistencies of the program and not having a good feeling. I have basically written them off either way. They are not APA accredited anyway and I want to go somewhere there is not mass confusion.

Thank you for taking the time to respond and good luck to you on your other interviews.

School Psych Phd interview invite by email (mass email) dates 3/9 and 3/16

Has anyone heard from U Washington Child Clinical yet?

I'm wondering the same thing. I know the interview dates are on the list, but I can't seem to find a post about them - was someone actually offered an interview or did someone just find out the dates?

UW is the last school I'm waiting to hear from - it'd be nice to know if I can assume a rejection so I can move on with life!

I just received an interview invite from Wright State via email. Their interviews will be held the week of Feb 26th.

hi everyone. i'm going through this application process like the rest of you and just happened upon this site recently. it's been comforting to know that others are feeling the same kind of stress as i am. i was wondering if anyone has any updates or news on interviews/acceptances/rejections for:

virginia tech
university of memphis
SUNY-Albany

thanks everyone. this is a very helpful and informative site.:)

hi everyone. i'm going through this application process like the rest of you and just happened upon this site recently. it's been comforting to know that others are feeling the same kind of stress as i am. i was wondering if anyone has any updates or news on interviews/acceptances/rejections for:

virginia tech
university of memphis
SUNY-Albany

Memphis has sent out interview invites for 3/2.