Official Harvard 2009! :)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I will be flying into the area on Aug 11th and will be there until the 15th to check out apartments and attend job interviews. I'm wondering if anyone would want to look at apartments with me in which 2+ rooms are available. I think it would be a good opportunity to live with other Harvard Extension students, preferably around my age (23) and preferably female. Im trying to get something for $600/ mo or below. Please contact me if interested. Also contact me if you have a group of extension students already together but need one more roommate.

Thanks,
Lisa

Members don't see this ad.

I will be flying into the area on Aug 11th and will be there until the 15th to check out apartments and attend job interviews. I'm wondering if anyone would want to look at apartments with me in which 2+ rooms are available. I think it would be a good opportunity to live with other Harvard Extension students, preferably around my age (23) and preferably female. Im trying to get something for $600/ mo or below. Please contact me if interested. Also contact me if you have a group of extension students already together but need one more roommate.

Thanks,
Lisa

good luck. look in the sommerville area...

Hi I am a little non-conventional (maybe)

I have a 3.16 undergrad GPA, 3.85 masters in health administration GPA. However, my science GPA is around a 2.6. The only pre-med science couse that I have taken is Biology and the rest were couses such as environmental health and epi. I have worked in health administration for a few years and have research experience/publications as well.

Will my science GPA hold me back?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone taken:

Neurobiology with Murphy
Mollecular and Cellular Biology with Fixsen
Human Anatomy and Physiology with Carr
Intro to Proteomics with Viel

I'll be selecting 2 courses from the 4 mentioned above. Given that this will be my first semester at HES and I'll be reapplying for HCP admissions in the spring, which combination of these courses would likely be most manageable? Neuro w/ Murphy sounds pretty scary, according to ratemyprofessors website :shrug:

dancingdoctor - What is your science background? Do you still need all of the pre-reqs?

I've taken the pre-reqs but was considering re-taking them for a better grade (I'm applying to DO school eventually). Or possibly taking upper-level science courses to show my worthiness to a career in medicine. But since this is my first semester, I dont want to be too overwhelmed with extremely intensive courses...it's kind of risky.

Just decided to join...anyone else still looking for housing?

Has anyone taken:

Neurobiology with Murphy
Mollecular and Cellular Biology with Fixsen
Human Anatomy and Physiology with Carr
Intro to Proteomics with Viel

I'll be selecting 2 courses from the 4 mentioned above. Given that this will be my first semester at HES and I'll be reapplying for HCP admissions in the spring, which combination of these courses would likely be most manageable? Neuro w/ Murphy sounds pretty scary, according to ratemyprofessors website :shrug:

murphy is the BOMB. i had him about 8 years ago (admittedly it's been a while) and he was brilliant. great course, not terrible curve.

if you can fit it in, i HIGHLY recommend wingert's stem cell class to anyone. it was ultra interesting and very informative. if you're nice to her she'll also write you a fantastic letter.

I've taken the pre-reqs but was considering re-taking them for a better grade (I'm applying to DO school eventually). Or possibly taking upper-level science courses to show my worthiness to a career in medicine. But since this is my first semester, I dont want to be too overwhelmed with extremely intensive courses...it's kind of risky.
the harvard classes aren't difficult at all as long as you stay on top of it. go for it.

With regard to your list of possible courses, Fixsen's course is the pre-req Bio, so you would need to make the decision whether you wanted to retake that particular one. I have not personally taken Neuro, but I have heard good things about it from students.

My recommendation would be to take A&P1 and Biochemistry. Both will be on point useful for med school.

the harvard classes aren't difficult at all as long as you stay on top of it. go for it.

They aren't easy either - particularly the 4 pre-reqs. Perhaps, things have changed a lot in 8 years.

Hi I am a little non-conventional (maybe)

I have a 3.16 undergrad GPA, 3.85 masters in health administration GPA. However, my science GPA is around a 2.6. The only pre-med science couse that I have taken is Biology and the rest were couses such as environmental health and epi. I have worked in health administration for a few years and have research experience/publications as well.

Will my science GPA hold me back?

Thanks

Your best bet is to contact them. I don't believe that your stats will prevent you from being accepted to HCP; however, the more important question is how it might impact your chances for med school. If the 2.6 isn't attached to too many credits, you have a good shot of pulling it up. The folks at HCP will give you an honest assesment.

Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, first time posting here :D

I read earlier that someone got rejected from Harvard HCP because he/she had too many science units, but then they advertise that the program can help your credentials if you already have a science background. When I did my computer science degree, I specialized in bioinformatics, so I have quite a bit of upper division biology classes on my transcript (8 classes, 2 labs).

I'm thinking of quitting my job next Spring and moving to Boston to take classes at Harvard Extension and worry about applying to the HCP and getting sponsored later. However, I'd hate to quit my job (especially in this economy) and invest all this time and money only to find out I'm not eligible. Anyone know who I can contact to answer my question? Thanks!

they'll still sponsor you as long as you maintain a certain gpa. you can still do HCP (fill out the app and send in the cash), but they won't give you a certificate as a part of the more formalized program designed for people with no pre-reqs done. the classes are open enrollment anyway so you can definitely register and get your grades working on the up-swing.

Hey everyone! I'm just looking for a little course and MCAT advice. I'm planning on taking:
1) Anatomy & Physiology w/Carr
2) Biology of Neurodegenerative Diseases w/Pastorini
3) Trauma & Development (psychology course)
4) Emotion w/Leeds (psychology course)

I'm also thinking of switching Biology of Neurodegenerative Diseases for The Biology of Stem Cells and the Emerging Field of Regenerative Medicine w/Wingert.

I'm doing HCP to enhance my academic credentials before applying to med school. Since its too late to apply for Fall 2010, I'll be applying for Fall 2011.
I have to take the MCAT and was thinking of taking a Kaplan course. When do you think it would be wise to take it? Late this year? Early next year?

I wanted to take these 4 clases, the kaplan course and hopefully volunteer/shadow at a hospital. Possible?

Any advice would be great!
Thank you and cannot wait to meet you soon,

Mariana

stem cells is slightly harder, but MUCH MUCH more interesting than neurodegenerative.

Hi folks,

Looks like some professors posted the syllabus already. I noticed Tucci (Chem E-1a) and Rueckner (Physics E-1a) did.

For those who have taken their courses, I noticed the textbooks are "custom" editions. For example, Rueckner provides an ISBN for the textbook, but that ISBN is not valid at any bookstore. Is the Harvard Coop version a bundle (ie. textbook and solutions manual) or specially edited, or can I just buy the book off B&N/Amazon/Borders/half.com/etc.?

Tucci also mentions the lab manual and Logan Notes will be available online and at the Coop bookstore. The bookstore sells the lab manual, Logan Notes and goggles as a bundle for about $100. It's probably cheaper to print, but Tucci hasn't posted them yet. Does he tend to post all the labs and Logan Notes at the beginning of the year? I'd like to print it all ahead of time since I may not have a printer for a while when I move to Cambridge.

Hey guys! just found out i got in. Now its the deciding game between here and Upenn... feel better at least i narrowed it down.

I am doing the prehealth, core studies aka career changing. at the HES, can you take upper level as well? How many students are in the program?

thanks

Hey guys - I was just curious how much time those taking 2 classes a semester were planning on spending on EC's. It seems like there would be enough time to volunteer at a hospital and do some other type of community service, or volunteer at a hospital and in a research lab. However, I've read a lot of posts by former HCP students warning against overloading yourself outside of class. Any ideas on how many hours per week is reasonable?

unless you have a full time job, two classes should be cake.

Can anyone comment on the structure of the program if you do the one year option? Also, can you still be sponsored if you only do the 1-yr track?

I don't know about everyone else, but I plan on spending at least 30 hours/week on ECs and Work. There's no way I can make it through this program without a cash flow to pay the rent (especially since rent is about 50% more than I'm used to spending).

I realize that means that most of the rest of my "free time" will be spent studying, but I might as well get used to the stress now before I get to med school!:p

for all of you who've taken the program-If i can only take two classes this fall/spring and one in the summer, which course should i leave for next summer orgo or physics?

Are you planning on taking Chem or Bio (or something else) during the Fall/Spring? How is your math?

Orgo would be very rough in the summer. If your math skills are good, then physics would be the way to go in my opinion. Definitely brush up on your math and do some prep work - i.e. pick up Nova's MCAT physics book.

Hey guys - I was just curious how much time those taking 2 classes a semester were planning on spending on EC's. It seems like there would be enough time to volunteer at a hospital and do some other type of community service, or volunteer at a hospital and in a research lab. However, I've read a lot of posts by former HCP students warning against overloading yourself outside of class. Any ideas on how many hours per week is reasonable?

Personally, I would secure a volunteer position - 1 day a week for 3 hours - and do it consistently. Once you start classes, you will be in a better position to gauge how much time you will personally have to dedicate to them. At that point, you might consider the research position. Everyone is different. Whatever you do, make sure you allocate enough time for the finals. My understanding is that HES has now compressed the finals period to one week. The final exams in the 4 pre-reqs are very challenging. Work to get as much of a cushion as you can going into them. Nail the problem sets and the other exams.

Just my two cents. Good luck - you will earn a lot.

Can anyone comment on the structure of the program if you do the one year option? Also, can you still be sponsored if you only do the 1-yr track?

You might be better off talking to HCP directly.

Hi folks,

Looks like some professors posted the syllabus already. I noticed Tucci (Chem E-1a) and Rueckner (Physics E-1a) did.

For those who have taken their courses, I noticed the textbooks are "custom" editions. For example, Rueckner provides an ISBN for the textbook, but that ISBN is not valid at any bookstore. Is the Harvard Coop version a bundle (ie. textbook and solutions manual) or specially edited, or can I just buy the book off B&N/Amazon/Borders/half.com/etc.?

Tucci also mentions the lab manual and Logan Notes will be available online and at the Coop bookstore. The bookstore sells the lab manual, Logan Notes and goggles as a bundle for about $100. It's probably cheaper to print, but Tucci hasn't posted them yet. Does he tend to post all the labs and Logan Notes at the beginning of the year? I'd like to print it all ahead of time since I may not have a printer for a while when I move to Cambridge.

As far as I know, the only difference with the custom editions is that they are soft bound and cut in half (for each semester). I used the hardcover that I picked up from ebay. No problems.

From what I can remember, I believe he does post everything in advance, although he might wait until the website is password protected for obvious reasons. That tends to occur within the first few weeks of class. If the syllabus lists a head TF (teaching fellow) and his/her e-mail address, you might want to shoot them an e-mail.

Hey guys! just found out i got in. Now its the deciding game between here and Upenn... feel better at least i narrowed it down.

I am doing the prehealth, core studies aka career changing. at the HES, can you take upper level as well? How many students are in the program?

thanks

Yes, you can take upper level courses and even non-science ones. Completely up to you.

As for how many student are in the program, it is hard to say because some of the people taking the pre-reqs are not necessarily in HCP for sponsorship. In addition, a certain percentage drop out for various reasons. The 4 pre-reqs will generally have 200+ students in them.

Hope that helps.

Has anyone starting this fall figured out how to get an ID to access certain facilities? If so, does it provide access to a gym?

I was also curious if anyone is planning to take stats, since it is recommended at a lot of med schools.

A friend of mine in Boston is looking for a roommate in her apartment in Davis Square if any of you still need housing for this year. Email the link in the craigslist ad or [email protected] if you're interested!
[FONT=Calibri, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]
http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/roo/1323665940.html

"I am looking for a roommate to share my fabulous apartment with starting in September! (SEPT 1- AUG 31) I am a female, recent college grad with a full time job looking for a responsible and chill roommate. There is 1 BEDROOM available in SPACIOUS 2 BDRM Apartment on the first floor, DAVIS SQUARE Somerville, 10 min walk to T station (red line), or 87 and 88 buses stop outside the house and bring you to the T. Many other bus lines run from Davis Square, as well as Tufts University shuttles. Move in date can possibly be earlier if necessary!

Rent is $750/month plus utilities, which usually run about $50 a month. Right now we have Comcast cable and internet, set up for wireless, but this can of course be changed! There is on street parking but you have to get a visitor’s permit from the Somerville traffic Dept (but they are pretty cheap).

The apartment itself has 2 bedrooms, 1 bathroom, BIG kitchen, separate dining room, sunny living room. There is PLENTY of storage space! Each room has its own closest, as well as a walk-in storage closet in the hallway (which has ITS own closet), there is also a coat closet in the hallway and a broom closet off the kitchen. It’s a 3 story house, and each floor is its own apartment. In the basement is FREE LAUNDRY for everyone to share. The back porch has a PORCHSWING, leading into a backyard with both hard top patio and grass, perfect for BBQs!

Anyone (pref. females) still looking for a place to live around campus? I've been looking at shared apartment housing for the past week, but I'm not too crazy about any of the places I've seen, and it'd be nicer to live with someone who's also going to be part of the Health Careers Program at HES. I'm looking to pay anywhere from $500-750 a month, so if I could find another person or two to share an apartment, we could get a pretty nice place for $1000-1500/month for 2 bedrooms or even $1500-2250/month for 3 bedrooms. Msg me ASAP!

Has anyone starting this fall figured out how to get an ID to access certain facilities? If so, does it provide access to a gym?

I was also curious if anyone is planning to take stats, since it is recommended at a lot of med schools.

You need to be accepted into the HCP diploma program, as well as register for classes. I emailed Owen Peterson about when we'd be receiving ID's, and he said that Dr. Fixsen is currently checking to match up those who were accepted with those who are actually coming. When he finishes, he'll email everyone about their ID's to have another picture taken (at the office, I assume).
As for getting gym access, go to http://recreation.gocrimson.com/recreation/Membership_Fees . It costs $160 for the year for diploma Extension students (I don't think it's open to those who aren't in a Diploma program).
I also emailed the Recsports people, here is her response: You sign up online. You need your ID and your pin number. Print your receipt and bring it with you in case your card isn't activated immediately. Here's the link:
https://www.athletics.harvard.edu/membership/
Hope this helps!

You need to be accepted into the HCP diploma program, as well as register for classes. I emailed Owen Peterson about when we'd be receiving ID's, and he said that Dr. Fixsen is currently checking to match up those who were accepted with those who are actually coming. When he finishes, he'll email everyone about their ID's to have another picture taken (at the office, I assume).
As for getting gym access, go to http://recreation.gocrimson.com/recreation/Membership_Fees . It costs $160 for the year for diploma Extension students (I don't think it's open to those who aren't in a Diploma program).
I also emailed the Recsports people, here is her response: You sign up online. You need your ID and your pin number. Print your receipt and bring it with you in case your card isn't activated immediately. Here's the link:
https://www.athletics.harvard.edu/membership/
Hope this helps!

Thanks for all the info - that's very helpful!

Books for Sale:
General Chemistry - Raymond Chang (Lightly used) $93.00 + shipping (from NY)
Physics: Giancoli (6th edition) Volume 2 ( Brand new) $85.00 + shipping from NYC

Physics Giancoli (6th Edition) Volume 1 (Lightly Used) $70.00+ shipping from NYC

If interested, email me at [email protected]

hey guys, does anybody have stats on admissions to med school after graduating hcp with sponsorship?

Here we go. Good luck, everyone. :luck:

hey guys, does anybody have stats on admissions to med school after graduating hcp with sponsorship?

If you email the HCP office, they will tell you. I've heard from other people who emailed them that it's around 90%. It's quite high.

Physics starts tomorrow. Good luck to all the other first year students. See you guys in class!

Does anyone know a good place to park before 5pm at Harvard? I understand that our evening commuter passes are for later than 5pm, so how would we go about finding a spot for a section/lab that starts earlier than 5? Anyone have any experience with this? Thanks - see you guys in Physics and Chemistry this week, should be a full house.

There are meters around the science center and on Mass ave. Run the loop a couple of times and you will generally find a spot. Another good place is around the little park in between Harvard Square and the science center - Mass Ave is on one side of it . . . can't remember the name. Definitely doable.

Thanks moki... I always get paranoid with parking around boston even though I'm a native.

Does anyone know a good place to park before 5pm at Harvard? I understand that our evening commuter passes are for later than 5pm, so how would we go about finding a spot for a section/lab that starts earlier than 5? Anyone have any experience with this? Thanks - see you guys in Physics and Chemistry this week, should be a full house.
i've gotten into the garage as early as 4 with no problems

Owen Peterson said the rate is usually 80-90 percent acceptance after sponsorship. Only about 50% of students who begin the program actually end up trying to get/getting sponsorship.

i've gotten into the garage as early as 4 with no problems

Be careful doing this, though. It could ruin everyone else's ability to get in the garage a little early. In addition, that approach will not fly at the Oxford Garage, particularly in the beginning of the semester. I say this based on my own experience as well as that of several friends. They are like hawks there.

What did you guys think of the classes so far? Rueckner's physics course is going to be time consuming. I've been hacking away at figuring out how to use all those equations on page 37 and 38 of the textbook. It's going to take a while to absorb those. I'm glad we don't have to turn in the first homework until the 3rd week.

Chem is going to take more time for labs and stuff, but I think it's easier to understand the concepts. Plus, Tucci seems like a fun teacher.

I'm looking forward to absorbing everything, as I've heard that they're courses often result in excellent scores in the PS section of the mcat. They both seem to be good teachers, and tucci especially comes with rave reviews. I just need to get my hands on a physics textbook- waiting to hear back from the coop.

Hello,

I'm thinking of taking some electives through Harvard Extension after I finish my pre-med pre-reqs. Part of the reason for doing this would be to procure recommendation letters.

Any insight on using Harvard Extension faculty for rec letters? One concern is that lectures meet just once a week, and for me, I would probably only have this professor for the one elective. I imagine harvard extension classes are somewhat small? So you may have the opportunity to interact more with your professor. However, do you think it's possible to establish a good enough relationship with Harvard Ext. professsor to use a med school rec letter?

Hello,

I'm thinking of taking some electives through Harvard Extension after I finish my pre-med pre-reqs. Part of the reason for doing this would be to procure recommendation letters.

Any insight on using Harvard Extension faculty for rec letters? One concern is that lectures meet just once a week, and for me, I would probably only have this professor for the one elective. I imagine harvard extension classes are somewhat small? So you may have the opportunity to interact more with your professor. However, do you think it's possible to establish a good enough relationship with Harvard Ext. professsor to use a med school rec letter?
i developed enough of a relationship with one of the profs to get a great letter and an offer to intern at the lab run by this prof in the span of two electives, and the letter came within one. it's all a matter of how much interest you show in the class and your willingness to put yourself out there to interact with the prof

What classes are available over the summer?

I read that Extension courses are not available over the summer? And that the only summer classes available are more expensive?

Last edited:
How much was tuition for Extension classes? The website says "Course tuition: undergraduate credit $1,100." for Organic Chem 1...but does that mean $1,100 total? Or $1,100 per credit (so times 4 credits)?

**update: I found this on the website: Tuition, ranging from $900 to $1,975 for undergraduate- and graduate-level courses, is listed with course descriptions.** ... it still doesn't explicitly clarify, but it sounds like that $900-$1,975 is per COURSE and not per credit...?

Last edited: