Official Harvard 2009! :)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thank you RM---I will certainly work on assimilating the ALM with patient care. I truly appreciate the advice. Best of Luck

Members don't see this ad.

Wow I've been hitting the books... this chemistry conversion stuff is killing me. Any advice?

Hi > I will be attending the hcp and will be starting chem this summer. According to the HES website the only option to take all three sciences during the year is to take organic chem labs on Saturdays. That won't work for anyone that can't work on Saturday. Does anyone have any ideas for me?

Members don't see this ad :)
I would contact the professors about the Saturday issue.

However, I would not recommend taking 3 sciences at once, as most students do two at once. It is unlikely that you could fit in the necessary time for filling in other parts of your application (research, clinical volunteering, etc.), if you are so inundated with Bio, Orgo, and Physics. Unless you are in a hurry to finish the program, I would make sure you are completing these coursees with A grades while having time to nail extracurriculars + the MCAT. This was the directors' advice when I came in, and I think it worked out well for me.

I'm looking forward to taking these bio classes at HES this fall! Anyone else planning on taking any of these courses? :)

Introduction to Proteomics
The Physiology of Sleep
Stars & Stellar Systems
Chaucer: The Canterbury Tales

Regarding electives... I've taken Chaucer before, with Benson. I loved him, he was a sweet old man (he's the editor of the Riverside Chaucer) but if you are looking for a fluff course, this is not it. Middle / Olde English is like learning a new language. I managed to Ace it given my English major prior... It's a great class, but a little bit of a toughie.

Proteomics seemed extremely advanced when I sat in on it, but I would make sure to read the course evaluations in the HES library in the main quad at Harvard.

Rainier, thanks for the tips! I'm actually not taking Chaucer as a "fluff" course. I really want to push myself and show myself that I do have the potential to do well. Also, I'm not new to taking on languages! I started German recently and really love it.

And, I'll be sure to read the course evaluations at the HES library. Just a question, do I need an ID to get into that library? Because I know the library at the Science center requires you have an ID to study there... :(

Hi There,

You do not need an ID for either the Science library or the HES library. The science library you can just walk up to the security guy and show your 1) Drivers License or 2) Any University/College ID and they will let you "sign" in. I would also go to Widener Library Privileges Desk (to the left of the turnstile entries) and show them your registration and you will be able to get a "reading room" pass, which is a great place to study. You can also study in the Harvard Law school lounge (aka, The Hark), and the cafeteria upstairs. Keep your registration handy to prove your student status. HES also has computer labs on Church street, and if you show your registration you get an ID + free printing privileges. Near that is the Education School library, where you can sign in. You can also sign in, I believe, at Harvard Med's library, which is nice and quiet (but only practical for folks who live in Brookline). There are about a dozen harvard libraries and you can sign in as a guest to most of them -- and even get reading room IDs-- except for Lamont Library. But everyone is always yammering there, so who wants to study there anyway?

PS Cafe Gato Rojo is also a nice place to study, below Dunster House. No ID needed.

PPS Make sure to get a Crimson Cash card which will be helpful in using alot of the resources at harvard. Dispensaries are in the science center and other places.

PPPS. Apparently you only need a registration sheet for the queenshead pub, which is actually pretty nice and just started opening as I was leaving. You HES kids are spoiled.

Regards,

RM

Also, regarding your course list:

-I would rather see somone take 2-3 science electives and spend their free time doing research or volunteering. I think english classes are nice (and required if you haven't done them before for your BA) but they can also be a distraction from the real goal, aceing the sci's. Free time can also be spent taking MCAT tests ad nauseum, offering a helping hand at Mount Auburn or Brigham, or doing some light research.

-Physiology of sleep and Stars and Stellar systems sounds a little like "rocks for jocks" to me, and may to med schools as well. I would sit down / e-mail with Dr. Fixsen and get a sense of what people say are good courses. I personally took Neurobio and Epidemiology and liked them alot. I've heard good things about the Physiology course at Harvard School of Public Health.

-If you haven't taken Biochemistry, you should do that. This is a silent requirement for medical schools, and great preparation for the MCAT.

Ah,

Thanks SO much for your tips and advice :) I rearranged my courses according to your suggestions. I agree with you in that they might think stars & stellar systems and physio of sleep might be "Fluff" courses, but they sound really interesting. Oh well, I guess lol.

Anyone thinking of taking these courses? :D

Intro. to epidemiology
Intro. to proteomics
Neurobio
Statistics (online option)

Ailleurs,
Also, if you are in the Diploma program---which it seems as though your not because you are taking advanced courses---but if you are you get a standard issued Harvard ID.

Just wanted to let you know in case you are a DPM candidate.

Ailleurs,
Also, if you are in the Diploma program---which it seems as though your not because you are taking advanced courses---but if you are you get a standard issued Harvard ID.

Just wanted to let you know in case you are a DPM candidate.

Difference between the ID's of the DPM candidate and a regular extension student?

Hi > I will be attending the hcp and will be starting chem this summer. According to the HES website the only option to take all three sciences during the year is to take organic chem labs on Saturdays. That won't work for anyone that can't work on Saturday. Does anyone have any ideas for me?

I had Saturday labs this past year beacuse I was taking 3 classes. Although I do know one person who found a different solution - he signed up for Tuesday labs even though it conflicts with physics. A lot of people end up skipping most of the physics lectures anyway - these lectures are less relevant than the lectures for the other classes, and a lot of people felt they could learn more by doing an additional 3 hours worth of studying on their own. As long as your labs don't conflict with physics exams, Tuesday orgo labs are a possibility, and as far as I know the only alternative, but I wouldn't recommend this option.

Why can't you do Saturday labs? If it's because you'll be working, then I would caution you against taking 3 classes and working. I think that 3 lab classes + a small amount of volunteering will keep you VERY busy even without anything else.

Members don't see this ad :)
Difference between the ID's of the DPM candidate and a regular extension student?

Students who are taking courses at HES and are not eligible for the certificate or in a diploma path do not have student IDs. Carry the registration letter that you receive from HES at all times. It gets you into libraries. It's a pain, but you get used to it.

I had Saturday labs this past year beacuse I was taking 3 classes. Although I do know one person who found a different solution - he signed up for Tuesday labs even though it conflicts with physics. A lot of people end up skipping most of the physics lectures anyway - these lectures are less relevant than the lectures for the other classes, and a lot of people felt they could learn more by doing an additional 3 hours worth of studying on their own. As long as your labs don't conflict with physics exams, Tuesday orgo labs are a possibility, and as far as I know the only alternative, but I wouldn't recommend this option.

Why can't you do Saturday labs? If it's because you'll be working, then I would caution you against taking 3 classes and working. I think that 3 lab classes + a small amount of volunteering will keep you VERY busy even without anything else.

Thanks a lot sketo! You may have just saved me a year's worth of waiting. Does missing lectures affect your final grade? Did you find the physics lectures to be worth going? ( not to get too personal but there may be religious issues with work on Saturday)

Last edited:
I agree with Sketo, 3 classes is quite the course load- my first term I took Chem I-Phys I-Bios I- and a graduate level english seminar for my ALM---needless to say it was a lot. Luckily I took 18 credits my whole undergrad so it wasn't to0 daunting.

ty allopathic13 and moki, i guess i'll hold onto that registration letter as if it's my life line :p

i have a question.. why is it so uncommon for people to take 4 courses? okay, i can understand the work 3 science courses in one semester requires.. but besides that, 4 courses for example: calculus, economics, one science, and an english class = isn't that a normal undergraduate course load?

also: whoever decides on taking 3 pre-reqs together.. i really, REALLY don't recommend it. the worst part of the pre-reqs for me, were the labs. i'm not a fan of labs and trust me, with more than 1 lab class, it adds up. A LOT!

If you have your BA then theoretically you have a diverse background in different subjects. Especially if you are proving yourself to medical schools, and *especially* if you are trying to bring up a low science GPA, I would focus on the sciences. That said, I loved taking Chaucer and thought it was a great course. I also took courses at the College and sat in during lectures (the professors are generally nice about it). Looking back, that time might have been better spent volunteering / studying / etc. But if you are a whiz then challenge yourself. Different people thrive in different scenarios. I met some really driven people who liked taking three sciences at once. People certainly do it, but I don't know how they fit in time to fill in the other gaps of their app, such as clinical work and research and MCAT prep.

Remember, I'm just some dude on the internet. The HCP office has seen a lot more data points that I have. Owen Peterson is very helpful and responsive.

I agree with RM-

I took 4 classes including 3 pre reqs with labs for two semesters in a row.
I did quite well...but let me stress...your time will be exceptionally limited. Luckily, prior to going to harvard I had about 150 hours of shadowing at a hospital and GP practice so I did not need as much in the extracurricular department, but if you are taking three classes then you will really only have fridays to work/volunteer. Having numerous classes on the transcript looks great but research/volunteering/ shadowing is what will get you into medical school.

def. give the HCP office a call they have gotten graduates of our program into medical schools from Harvard to the Caribbean.

good luck :)

I've taken 22 credits before in undergrad and yes it was tough but doable. I'm just trying to compare the difference between that and the three science courses that I'm planning on taking in the fall.

Also, in theory you can complete 150 hours within a period of a year if you do 3 hours of volunteering a week.

What perks do you receive with the ID? I was actually accepted as a HCP Diploma candidate.

Thanks a lot sketo! You may have just saved me a year's worth of waiting. Does missing lectures affect your final grade? Did you find the physics lectures to be worth going? (P.S. not to get too personal but there may be religious issues with work on Saturday)

Well, they don't take attendance in physics lecture or in any of the other lectures (just in lab). So in that sense, skipping class won't affect your grade. As for the usefulness of the material presented in lecture, different people will tell you different things. My opinion is that in each 3 hour physics lecture, the professor covers about 15-20 minutes of useful information, and sometimes that 15 minutes worth of information is very helpful on the test. I attended fewer and fewer lectures as the year went on.

When you take this class, you will see the number of students in attendance slowly decline from the huge numbers seen on the first day. Then when tests come around, the lecture hall will suddenly become crowded again. Whereas if you even think about skipping the lectures for gen chem, orgo, or bio, I don't know how you could pass the course. For physics, my biggest piece of advice is to go to Ralph's discussion section every week. My opinion is that reading the textbook, going to Ralph's sections, and doing the homework is enough to get an A. But obviously not everyone gets an A, and a lot of people really struggle in physics, so it's hard for me to say what you should do.

Taking 3 lab classes at once is a LOT of work, and honestly, more risky. Finishing the prereqs quickly is nice, but it's much more important to get great grades. If you've gotten good grades in the past, and if you're highly motivated, I think you can do it. Good luck!

What perks do you receive with the ID? I was actually accepted as a HCP Diploma candidate.
1. when you go to the library you can can swipe yourself in without having to carry registration forms.
2. you can use the gym while non-diploma candidates can't <- biggest benefit in my books

I can see that there is still some confusion concerning taking 3 classes at Harvard so let me try to provide some additional information, as well as start a poll of persons who took 3 or more classes there especially ones with labs.
So If you can please comment on:

1. The classes you took and their difficulty.

2. The average length of labs-and if labs were done during class time or outside of class.

3. Any extracurriculars (i.e. shadowing-volunteering-working-clubs) you participated in?

4. Whether you feel that you received successful grades while taking such a heavy course load.

5. How many hours a week you believe you devoted to each class.

6. Whether you had seminars for the class.

*Also feel free to comment on the courses or ECs even if you didn't take 3 or four a semester.

*My first year I took Bio I---Chem I----Phys I-Along with a writing class taught by Dean Shinagel for my ALM.

Bios-Fixsen is a great instructor...His tests can be a bit tough-but overall the class is not too bad.---On Lab weeks we just did the labs during normal lecture time. Class was mondays and wednesdays for two hours. No seminars (discussion sections)

Chem I-Tucci is a good guy. Really helpful and the labs are fun. Discussion sections were every week. Labs took about three hours. Class was thurs. for 3 hours

Phys-Rueckner is hilarious, but the lectures are so so in terms of exam and MCAT applicability. Make sure you read read read! Class was tues for 3 hours with discussion sections once a week.

LABS IN GENERAL TOOK 3 HOURS TO COMPLETE SOMETIMES MORE SOMETIMES LESS.

While taking this course load. I volunteered at Brigham and Women's for a few hours a week on Fridays and sometimes mon. mornings. I also was an active member in the Harvard Pre medical society-City Step (volunteer group), The Extension Pre-Health society, and the Harvard Cancer association.

I devoted prob. at least 10 hours a week towards each class-sometimes more. I was successful though and came out with a 4.0 so it is doable. Nevertheless, I must stress free time is exceptionally limited, because most of the time you must devote free time to ECs. My Undergrad GPA was a 3.5 on the dot and this program raised it to a 3.6. I went on to grab a 38 on my MCAT, which I attribute in large to my concentrated study. With this app I believe I will be getting some attention from maybe a few of the top tiers-but maybe not-it's difficult to tell. The moral is that if you work hard, similar to the manner in which we will be working in med school, your going to get into medical school.

I also suggest taking Clac I & II at some point while your at Harvard.

Good Luck and persons who have taken 3 classes please post your experiences.

All the Best!

* if there are any grammatical errors in this post---I am on my way to volunteer at the hospital and I wanted to get this typed prior to work...So I apologize.

Hi everyone

I just joined the network after recently (finally!) admitting to myself that medicine is for me, and I"m very excited to get going.

I currently live in Israel and am planning to move out in late August to start classes for the Fall.

Is anyone still looking for a roommate? If so, please email and maybe we can work something out, to [email protected]

Peace

Very helpful summary of the program, Allopathic13. I'll be starting in the Fall (moving from NYC for this). A few additional questions...

For Chem, I know there is a lecture (Thurs 6-9), a section (Mon, Tues or Wed 6-7 and a day session), and a lab that follows after the section (7-9:30).

Is it similar for Phys? As in, there's lecture (Tues 6-9), a section (??) and a lab that follows immediately after?

I'm trying to anticipate the schedule to make room for my sister's wedding and to hopefully find a job or volunteer in the area.

And a question for wooki or anyone else who might be able to answer. How much does it cost to use the gym as a diploma candidate?

Ghostman,
The gym membership is 100.00 for the year. I took advantage of it--we are harvard students---as such I attempted everything my ID card allowed me to do...especially going to bid football games---especially THE GAME Harvard v. Yale---which, for the record we won! lol

Concerning, the classes:

Yes, Physics is similar to Chem. When I took Chem there were several sections--not just three...many even occurred earlier in the day---so I would assume that you'll have more time options then just those 3. Especially, if you are taking 3 of the pre reqs a semester...because the times you listed for sections would conflict with the other pre reqs. So there should exist some earlier options.

good luck! Enjoy Harvard! I know I am.

Hey guys,
This question is for all the people who have completed the hcp program or are currently doing it right now and have fin aid. Rainer and Allopathic **wink wink;) if you know the answer.
At the bottom of my Financial aid award it says:
***For Health Careers candidates, the maximum Stafford Loan eligibility is one twelve month consecutive time period.

1: Does this mean for us health careers students, we are eligible for maximum Stafford loan for a period of only twelve months (1year)?

2: What if you intend to complete hcp over a period of two years, does this mean I won't be eligible for anymore Stafford loans the second year around?

3: What are are you guys doing to cover tuition and living expenses coz the financial aid doesn't cover it completely?

All your help is greatly appreciated :):thumbup:

Also guys forgot to add this in my earlier posts

Any links or resources you guys may know to find some good health related part time jobs :confused:

looking to start in September but have a pain in the a$% finding one most of them are full time.

Hey Tib,
You are correct. Unfortunately, our program is considered 5th year undergrad by FAFSA. Therefore, we are only eligible for one year of Stafford aid, which I believe comes to a maximum of like $2750.00 a term. For additional funding I'd recommend looking to a Federal Parent Plus loan if you are still considered a dependent under your parent's tax status or private loans...i.e. chase, discover, sallie mae.

As for jobs-Since my course load was so heavy I never worked in the health field, just volunteered, however, I would recommend looking for a campus job. If you work for harvard, even as a janitor (not to say that there is anything wrong with this occupation), for more then 17.5 hours a week you are given a major reduction in the costs of classes.

Also don't forget to keep pursuing volunteer, shadowing, and if you are interested, research opportunities while enrolled. As Harvard students we are fortunate enough to have many opportunities available to us. Further, the extension school has a pre-health society---here's the link-

http://hesa.dce.harvard.edu/clubs.html

Best!

Hey everyone. On September 1st, I'm moving into a 4-bedroom apartment that is a 20 minute walk from Harvard Square (the place is west of the Red Line, between Harvard and Porter).

I'm moving in with my friends Kyle and Jessica, both future Harvard post-baccers, like me. We need one more roommate, and we would like another Harvard post-baccer!

Our place is NICE. It's on the top floor of a three-story house. Four bedrooms, two full bathrooms, a medium-sized kitchen, and a large living room. Laundry in the basement. TONS of sunlight. And two balconies.

The three of us are very serious about our studies, and require that our fourth roommate be as well. We're not robots, we enjoy relaxing and having a good time, but within limits. Marijuana will not be allowed in the house.

LOWDOWN: $625 a month, utilities no more than $100 per month, nice neighborhood (families/kids/puppies and cats), and to get to classes, you can either walk 20 minutes or bike 5 minutes. Also, the 72 and 74 buses go right by our house, and they run about every 10 minutes, straight to Harvard Square.

Let me know if you're interested. Please don't e-Mail me on SDN, e-mail me at [email protected]. Have a good one!

Does anyone out there have the Chem and/or Physics syllabi from Fall '08 / Spring '09? I'd like to see them if possible and get an idea of what I should be expecting for work load.

Thanks for any help anyone can give.

hey guys... i have a very quick question....
I applied for the HES HCP program for the non-diploma program....i submitted my application yesterday (not knowing when is a good time to apply) for Fall 2010....my concern is that I might receive an admission for Spring 2010 rather than Fall 2010. But in the application, it is written that I wont be graduating until May 2010, so they should know i will be attending in fall 2010. Anyway... if i DO get an admission to spring 2010....is there a way I can defer the admission until fall 2010?

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE someone answer...there is nothing I can do since I already submitted in mail yesterday but i am really really freaking out....so please help me out here....

Thank you
DannyV

hey guys... i have a very quick question....
I applied for the HES HCP program for the non-diploma program....i submitted my application yesterday (not knowing when is a good time to apply) for Fall 2010....my concern is that I might receive an admission for Spring 2010 rather than Fall 2010. But in the application, it is written that I wont be graduating until May 2010, so they should know i will be attending in fall 2010. Anyway... if i DO get an admission to spring 2010....is there a way I can defer the admission until fall 2010?

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE someone answer...there is nothing I can do since I already submitted in mail yesterday but i am really really freaking out....so please help me out here....

Thank you
DannyV

Don't worry about it! :laugh: Last spring I quit my job and enrolled in summer chem, and it wasn't until halfway through the summer that I submitted my HCP application. And I finished my courses this May with the "diploma." If your undergrad grades were good, they will accept you. As far as I know, they accept everyone, the only difference is that people with poor undergrad grades have higher requirements for obtaining the committee letter. Just sign up and pay for a class, and you can start whenever you want. Don't sweat it.

thanks sketo....made me feel better haha.....thanks

You say you can start it anytime?

Hmm... I've been talking to Dr. Fixsen which I believe is the director of the program. He had told me to wait until I graduated to apply... wait until my degree is conferred. So i did... I just applied a couple of days ago for the Fall 2009. HE said not to worry because there is no "cap" to the program.

I've applied to different programs as well in PA and NYC. I can't decide which area I'd wanna go if I get into all of them (best scenerio) lol

So im asking for people who already went to this program and studied.. or studying... How is Boston? I had few friends that went to Boston for Undergrad and said it was really good... party hop from school to school... well considering i did my share of partying in undergrad, and will be needing to study my butt off in this program, how is Boston other than "night-life" ? good city?

How's the school of HES? Is it separated from the Harvard campus? ... any information regarding anything about HES program will be appreciated!!

Are the intro science courses with the regular Harvard kids? are the professors same professors as the premed kids in undergrad?

Thanks

Last edited:
i truely appreciate your input audman....as well as sketo....

just to have an official answer to my own problem...i called dr. fixen this morning...and after explaining him my situation....he said that "your situation is quite unusual; however, it shouldn't be a problem at all. If you qualify, we will offer you the admission but have you present a final transcript to prove that you graduated before entering the program in Fall 2010." I thought this was a very fair answer and I was very satisfied and comfortable with the answer.

to anyone that is or will be facing the same situation as me....dont worry ...selection process seems very fair and it seems like they are willing to work with everyone...

I have called Dr. Fixen dozens of times...and every single time...he has been very detailed in giving answer for everything and he's a very nice person....i don't know why but talking to him makes me feel like the faculty overall is just as great as hime... (i hope)...

Lastly...I know this is the 2009 forum...but PM me if you are planning something for fall 2010...i would like to make a group of people that I know before i go there....=)

Good luck everyone thats in the program....or in med school after the program...and applying for the program!

thank you
-dannyV

one more question....people who go to HES in the Health Careers Program...that are non-diploma....(meaning only there to take upper level sciences)...do they get a harvard ID? ....and what about a harvard email? like ( [email protected]) something like that....anything? just curious....

thank you
-DannyV

Audman-HES is Harvard. most of your classes will be in the yard or in the science center. The Boston Nightlife-and the cambridge nightlife for that matter, is great...but between class, volunteer work, and shadowing don't expect to have that much time to party. The professors are Harvard profs. but classes are a night not in the day with College students.

Danny,
you will not have a HUID- but you will have a registration card that shows you are an harvard affiliate and it will get you into Grossman library. The Harvard ID is reserved more for the harvard student in a traditional sense-being that diploma candidates are required to follow a more regimented program.

you will have a harvard.fas.edu email

good luck!

Hey guys,
I am moving from NYC to do the HCP this fall. Most probably I will need to drive to school each day. This post is for anyone already doing the hcp program and have a preety good idea of the place. Based on various classes where they are usually held at, and the list of parking spaces found on the parking website which is listed below. Please could you guys pick maybe 3 to 5 best closest places to park. Thank you for the info to whoever contributes. Muchas Gracias!!!:D You guys can repost a reply or even email me at [email protected]

Facility NameMap CodeSURFACE LOTS (uncovered parking)1033 Massachusetts Ave.103312 Mellen St.12ML1230 Soldiers Field Rd.123015 Ware St.15WR16 Mellen St.16ML16 Prescott St.16PR175 N. Harvard St.175N18 Sumner Rd.18SU19 Ware St.19WR2 Divinity Ave.2DIV20 Mellen St.20ML219 Western Ave.219W230 Western Ave.230W25 Travis St.25TR27 Everett St.27EV3 Garden St.3GRD48 Trowbridge St.48TR5 Bryant St.5BRT5 Linden St.5LIN51 Brattle St.51BR61 Kirkland St.61KL699 Green St.699G7 Ware St.7WAR8-10 Mt. Auburn St.8MTA8 Prescott St.8PRS9 Kirkland Place9KPLApley CourtAPLYAsh St. PlaceASPLBarker CenterBARKBlackstoneBKSTBunting LotBUNTCharles SquareCHASCollege Dining HallCDHLCowperthwaite St.(reopening 2007)COWPDiv. of Engineering and Applied SciencesDEASDeWolfe Child CareDECCDillon LotDILNEliot TriangleELTDFrancis Ave.FRANGordon Track & FieldGORDGordon Visitor LotGORD
VISITOR LOTGreenleafGRLFGutman LibraryGUTMBusiness School LotHBSHolden GreenHOLDJFK CourtyardJFKLarsen LotLARSLittauer LotLITTLongfellow LotLONGMalkin Athletic CenterMAKLMetered LotMETRMill St.MILLMurr CenterMURRObservatoryOBSVPeabody Terrace VisitorsPBVLPerkins LotPRKSPress LotPRESQuad LotsQUADSemitic MuseumSEMMShaler LaneSHALSouth St.SOSTCarpenter CenterVACCWilliam James HallWMJSWinthrop St.WNTHGARAGES (covered parking)1 Western Ave.1WES10 Akron St. (opening 2008)10AK17 Grant St.17GT29 Garden St.29GD5 Cowperthwaite St.(opening 2007)5COW52 Oxford St.52OXBotanic GardensBOTGBroadwayBWYGDeWolfe St.DEWLPeabody TerracePETGSoldiers Field Park
:)

not quite sure of the parking garage's location tib-but the Science Center-where we take a good deal of classes is right off of kirkland st. so check there.

best of luck

Hi Everyone,

I have a couple of quick questions. Will anyone be working full time while in the program. I work a low stress level fulltime job in Boston and would like to take CHem and Physics. I know I'll be be busy, but am just wondering if others have done it or plan on doing it or am I just crazy?

Thanks,

Dan

Hi Everyone,

I have a couple of quick questions. Will anyone be working full time while in the program. I work a low stress level fulltime job in Boston and would like to take CHem and Physics. I know I'll be be busy, but am just wondering if others have done it or plan on doing it or am I just crazy?

Thanks,

Dan

I'm planning to work full time at a restaurant while taking HCP classes. It might be a little different from your situation because bartending is pretty flexible, but I did it through grad school as well and didn't find it too challenging. Hope this helps!

I work full time as a clinical research assistant over at BWH and will be doing Chem/Physics as well in the fall. I think it's definitely doable but you should probably expect a solid 80+ hrs/week once you include commute time/exercise time/volunteer time etc. So no...I don't think you're nuts :)

Hi Everyone,

Thanks,

Dan

Call the parking garage office for Harvard, the permit distribution day is sometime in early September if I remember correctly. It will only be for parking after 5pm, which should be fine for your classes. I did this for a year and it was great. However, if you can't get a pass it is not impossible to find a street in west somerville to park after hours, however this will entail walking a quarter / half mile down oxford street at night alone. Not a bad area but it's your comfort level...

i'm considering applying to harvard in the fall.

i have one major concern...

coming from california i want to know what's the mexican food like over there? its my favorite, i don't think i could live without it. I'm not talking about taco bell or chipotle either, although chipotle is HEAVENLY... I want the authentic stuff

Hey, I've applied to the program and hopefully will attend in the fall of '09 (3.1 uGPA, 3.0 uSciGPA, 3.5 gGPA, lots of experience conducting research in an unrelated field). I was wondering, pending acceptance in the program, when is the best time to take Calc and/or stats? Anyone have any opinions? Thanks. :confused: