Official:Georgetown SMP Class of 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
yeah, i pretty much heard the same thing. i was an engineering major (pre-med) in undergrad, did well on the MCAT, and did well in all my upper-level science classes. my first two years were bad, but i did MUCH better afterwards.

after speaking with some med schools, i also was told i've proven i'm smart enough to be in med school, i just need to prove i can maintain my current level. an undergrad-level post-bacc is not necessary, since i did well on the MCAT and my 300-level science classes. thus, an SMP is the best option since it is a great proving ground. i was told that as long as the coursework represents medical school rigor, it will be a good choice (you don't necessarily have to be sitting in the same classroom, just take similar courses).

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone complete on 3/6 or after hear anything yet?

Anyone complete on 3/6 or after hear anything yet?

i was complete on 3/5 and got an email saying i was under review on 3/7 and have not heard anything yet. they said it'd take 4-6 weeks; we're currently in week 5

Members don't see this ad :)
i just got an email about 30 minutes ago with my acceptance!

i hope ya'll hear some good news soon too!

i = incomplete
while ( i <> under review )
{
printf("Enter PIN:" \n);
printf("Enter Password:" \n);
}

Still checking daily :(

Is 3.3 a competitive uGPA for Georgetown SMP? (with a high MCAT, ofcourse).

What is the average MCAT score for Georgetown SMP?

I *just* heard about this program, and think I am going to apply for the class of 2009. Anyone wanna comment on my chances?

GPA: 3.3 (3.9 for last 3 years of undergad)
MCAT: 35 R
ECs: Several research, clinical, and non-clincal. Currently, part of the CRTA post-bacc program @ NIH.

Input would be great. I need to tidy up my personal statement, and get this app out quick.

it sounds like you could get into med school already..so yeah, you have a good shot

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks. I'm really worried about the lateness of my GT SMP application.

I *just* heard about this program, and think I am going to apply for the class of 2009. Anyone wanna comment on my chances?

GPA: 3.3 (3.9 for last 3 years of undergad)
MCAT: 35 R
ECs: Several research, clinical, and non-clincal. Currently, part of the CRTA post-bacc program @ NIH.

Input would be great. I need to tidy up my personal statement, and get this app out quick.
I don't think that I would recommend the Gtown SMP program for your situation. Without it, you are probably competitive at your states schools because of that massive upward trend. Also, if you only have 120 credits, then doing a lag year informal post-bacc of 30 science credits would probably get you much further as it will increase your cGPA while an SMP will not. Furthermore, the SMPs are a 'last' chance type thing. Getting below about a 3.5 will destroy your application. I'm sure you can handle the SMP, but its probably extra hassle that you shouldnt' need to worry about.

With an informal post-bacc of 30 credits of science courses, your GPA can be raised to: 3.44 with a 4.0 in science courses. With the last 4 years being so high, I wouldn't be surprised if you got in somewhere pretty competitive.

I don't think that I would recommend the Gtown SMP program for your situation. Without it, you are probably competitive at your states schools because of that massive upward trend. Also, if you only have 120 credits, then doing a lag year informal post-bacc of 30 science credits would probably get you much further as it will increase your cGPA while an SMP will not. Furthermore, the SMPs are a 'last' chance type thing. Getting below about a 3.5 will destroy your application. I'm sure you can handle the SMP, but its probably extra hassle that you shouldnt' need to worry about.

With an informal post-bacc of 30 credits of science courses, your GPA can be raised to: 3.44 with a 4.0 in science courses. With the last 4 years being so high, I wouldn't be surprised if you got in somewhere pretty competitive.

What you say is interesting. To clarify, I have 151 credits with a double degree. Being a non-science major, I didn't take the pre-req sceinces (gchem, ochem, bio, phys) until the last two years of college. I did get A's in all of them, and in some other upper level biology's (biochem, genetics, and drug action) too. Does this change what you say at all?

The current post-bacc program I'm in at NIH is entirely researched based with no courses, but it was supposedly competitive to get into. I've been told by my pre-medical adviser that I do have a good chance to get into my state school (Maryland) this cycle. However, I'm worried that, in the event I don't get in anywhere, I won't have done enough this coming year to really supplement my application. If not this SMP, then I would work at NIH for the rest of this coming cycle.

I'm going to see my adviser in the morning, but I'd love some more input before then. Thanks!

Edit -- Vihsadas, I randomly clicked on your MDApplicants profile and nearly choked on my dinner when I saw your MCAT. Very impressive.

What you say is interesting. To clarify, I have 151 credits with a double degree. Being a non-science major, I didn't take the pre-req sceinces (gchem, ochem, bio, phys) until the last two years of college. I did get A's in all of them, and in some other upper level biology's (biochem, genetics, and drug action) too. Does this change what you say at all?

The current post-bacc program I'm in at NIH is entirely researched based with no courses, but it was supposedly competitive to get into. I've been told by my pre-medical adviser that I do have a good chance to get into my state school (Maryland) this cycle. However, I'm worried that, in the event I don't get in anywhere, I won't have done enough this coming year to really supplement my application. If not this SMP, then I would work at NIH for the rest of this coming cycle.

I'm going to see my adviser in the morning, but I'd love some more input before then. Thanks!

Edit -- Vihsadas, I randomly clicked on your MDApplicants profile and nearly choked on my dinner when I saw your MCAT. Very impressive.

In that case I guess we are in similar situations. I'm doing the SMP even though many people have told me that I probably wouldn't have to. My reasoning is that if I don't do the SMP, and I still don't get in this next year, I will be kicking myself for not doing absolutely everything in my power to succeed. So, I'm not going to take the chance...

The other side of the story is that some advisers have told me that it might be better for my application if I spent it doing some health related work and a volunteer activity that I'm really passionate about. I'm really not sure what I should do!

Apply for the SMP...if you have the money (or don't mind taking the debt like me), I guess you have nothing to lose.

has anyone accepted into the program started looking for places to live around DC? if so, where's a good place to start?

I'm currently looking but have no idea where to start either. I want to go up to DC and browse my options.

well, as i was composing a letter to Gtown asking about my application (week 7 since complete), I got my acceptance email!

Are they still sending emails to applicants letting us know that they're reviewing our application? Why is it taking so much longer this year? I submitted late February '08 and no word yet :(

Got in touch with Ms. Cabiness last week and was told to give it a few days (going onto week 8 since application submission now) to see an update on the applyyourself site, but still nothing. I understand acceptances can run all the way up until the beginning of the term, but I'm just trying to get past step one and get my application reviewed.

Checked all of my materials and the tracking numbers say it's been received in DC...waiting is blegh:confused:

all my stuff was in ~feb 22, got an email saying my app was complete and under review by end of feb

Are they still sending emails to applicants letting us know that they're reviewing our application? Why is it taking so much longer this year? I submitted late February '08 and no word yet :(

Got in touch with Ms. Cabiness last week and was told to give it a few days (going onto week 8 since application submission now) to see an update on the applyyourself site, but still nothing. I understand acceptances can run all the way up until the beginning of the term, but I'm just trying to get past step one and get my application reviewed.

Checked all of my materials and the tracking numbers say it's been received in DC...waiting is blegh:confused:

Hello,

I sent my transcript/official MCAT scores to both the EVMS and Gtown programs at the same time, EVMS confirmed that they received it within a week and Georgetown has yet to do so. Does Georgetown just say that it's not received until they begin to review my application or should I resend the materials? Thanks

Hello,

I sent my transcript/official MCAT scores to both the EVMS and Gtown programs at the same time, EVMS confirmed that they received it within a week and Georgetown has yet to do so. Does Georgetown just say that it's not received until they begin to review my application or should I resend the materials? Thanks

They'll mark it as complete when they begin to review your app. If you don't hear from them in a couple weeks, give them a call. Chances are they have it, and haven't gotten around to marking it as complete.

I just got the unofficial acceptance email!!! :) I'm so excited, definitely will accept this.

In case you're interested:

Complete: April 2
Review Email: April 2
Today: April 21

I had submitted ALL my material by February 15th, so it took a little while.

MCAT: 35S
GPA: 3.37 - quite inconsistent, although this final year is turning out very well

Can't wait to meet everyone in August!!

p.s. cheesy moment: I was (and still am) at my school's library studying for finals when I received the email. I called my mom immediately and she cried! This was my first acceptance...

I just got the unofficial acceptance email!!! :) I'm so excited, definitely will accept this.

In case you're interested:

Complete: April 2
Review Email: April 2
Today: April 21

I had submitted ALL my material by February 15th, so it took a little while.

MCAT: 35S
GPA: 3.37 - quite inconsistent, although this final year is turning out very well

Can't wait to meet everyone in August!!

p.s. cheesy moment: I was (and still am) at my school's library studying for finals when I received the email. I called my mom immediately and she cried! This was my first acceptance...

Congratulations!!! Can't wait to meet you as well!

I sent my deferral request today to spend a year building up my undergrad GPA before committing to Georgetown. Y'all seem like a pretty good, empathetic class so best of luck to you all! And I hope my slot goes to one of you eager applicants.

Keep us updated next year to let us know how you're doing in the program!

Anybody attending the Open House for interested students on Friday? I just got the email about it today...really short notice so I doubt I can make it. If anyone goes, I would love to hear about it!

Anyone start putting together their list of schools for AMCAS? The application opens up in just a few weeks! Might be helpful to get a list of schools goin' that Georgetown SMP students have had luck with... Seems like I've heard that Drexel, SLU, NYMC are high on the list, what else?

I just got the email about the open house today, too. What's with the short notice? I'm planning to drive to DC Friday morning from about 3 hours away - anyone know if we're expected to be there right at 8:30? If so, I'd have to start driving at 5am, ugh. As it's called an "open house" I assume we can come and go if we please, but I'd hate to screw up (and passing up free breakfast is a sin). Any of you lovely folks planning to be there to keep me company?

Anyone start putting together their list of schools for AMCAS? The application opens up in just a few weeks! Might be helpful to get a list of schools goin' that Georgetown SMP students have had luck with... Seems like I've heard that Drexel, SLU, NYMC are high on the list, what else?

Well, if you haven't seen the "alumni" list yet, here it is:

http://smp.georgetown.edu/prevclass.htm

I would recommend (in addition to those you mentioned): EVMS, VCU, GW, UVM, Tulane, U Toledo, RFU, Albany, any of your home state schools and Georgetown, of course. Some that might be a little more of a stretch, but that some SMP people have had success with: Wake Forest, Tufts, Penn State, University of Southern California, Case Western and USUHS (if you're looking to go into the military).

Hope that helps.

I just got the email about the open house today, too. What's with the short notice? I'm planning to drive to DC Friday morning from about 3 hours away - anyone know if we're expected to be there right at 8:30? If so, I'd have to start driving at 5am, ugh. As it's called an "open house" I assume we can come and go if we please, but I'd hate to screw up (and passing up free breakfast is a sin). Any of you lovely folks planning to be there to keep me company?

I'm going this Friday to the orientation as well.
Free CONTINENTAL breakfast, something to note there friend...hahaha :p

I'm going this Friday to the orientation as well.
Free CONTINENTAL breakfast, something to note there friend...hahaha :p

Hey! Would somebody who goes to the open house today give a nice detailed report of what is said? I'm sure there are a lot of us here who would go but can't because of late notice/ live in distance state... So ya, if someone could share about what is said that would be awesome!!!

Anybody? How was it yesterday? Any new info to add!

BTW- Got the official letter in the mail yesterday, go Hoyas!

How does the Drexel IMS program compare to Georgetown's SMP, in terms of reputation and advising support? What is the average SMP GPA? Although non-degree granting, IMS posts similar success rates and is $10k cheaper.

Anybody? How was it yesterday? Any new info to add!

BTW- Got the official letter in the mail yesterday, go Hoyas!

Sorry for the lag in response, been busy this weekend

Saturday was great, here was the schedule:

8:30-9: continental breakfast and mingling

This breakfast was actually pretty nice with good coffee and lots of fruit :thumbup:

9:00-10ish: Welcome and Program Overviews

Had various students of the biomedical graduate program give speeches about their respective fields. The SMP section was informative but this is also where the overwhelming theme of the day about SMP was revealed: it is REALLY HARD.

10:00-11:00: Information section on the field of your choice

Dr. Mulroney gave an awesome information session about the SMP. Her presentation was actually kind of scary because she repeatedly told us that the SMP year would be the HARDEST year of our lives. Even harder than med school was the argument. Also, she talked about the profile of the SMP class and that most people were high MCAT, low GPA applicants.

Also, she stressed the new systems-based curriculum that will be in effect starting fall 2008. Instead of learning separate modules, we will be learning a more holistic view of each body system.

11:00-12:00: Tour of the campus with Mrs. Cabiness

Mrs. Cabiness is so funny and sweet. The tour was nice and the weather was awesome. We got a chance to see the med school and the whole time I was looking at the med school students with envy. Overall Georgetown is a nice campus although some of the facilities definitely need renovation.

12:00: Lunch

This lunch was seriously first class. Fried chicken, jambalaya, pork chops, shrimp and grits and basically everything else you would want.

The best part though was sitting with Dr. Myers and a current SMP student and listening to them share their experiences.

Overall, very good experience. I hope I get in.

FYI they said there are still ~100 spots LEFT! :thumbup:

hey guys,

i'm a current smp student and my house is becoming available for lease. if you're interested, send me a pm. the house is a block away from campus, takes 5 minutes from leaving the house to finding a seat in the lecture hall.

hey all

i just finished my junior year and am now a senior with a 3.22 overall GPA

im looking to enter into the Georgetown SMP in 2009. do you have to have an upward trend in GPA to be a successful applicant?

i think my GPA has hovered around 3.0-3.3.
I have a lot of meaningful EC's and will be starting a summer research internship at UVA. I know you can't give me a for sure answer but just wanted to get an idea. I havent taken the MCAT yet but am aiming to in January 09.

Hey everyone! Everyone getting excited to start? I can't wait!! The only thing I'm not super excited about is the debt :eek:

However, how is everyone's housing search going?

Hey guys, I'm new to the thread...i was just wondering if there was anybody else in my situation....I took the April 5th MCAT and just received my scores today and am sending them to Georgetown tomorrow. I sent in the rest of my application in early March and told them that I was taking the April MCAT. My stats are:

3.19 science gpa
3.32 overall gpa
31O MCATS (10B, 10P and 11V)

Is anyone else applying this late? Does anyone know people who took the April MCATs last year and got in?

I applied last week, so you're not alone timing-wise. I think we've probably put ourselves at a significant disadvantage by applying so late, though.

anyone hear anything yet? I should be getting word this Thursday or the next. The wait is killing me!!

I applied late too and am still waiting...its been about a week since I got the email saying my application was complete.

Coming up on three weeks now since they started reviewing my app...

If anyone hears anything back please update us!

I just received my acceptance through e-mail. I was complete almost exactly three weeks ago. Good luck to all! :D

Now to decide between EVMS and Georgetown....

Hi, I completed my application in mid April. But I have been having problems sending my MCAT scores via AAMC twice, and Georgetown's website still says that it has not received my scores... Anyone else have this problem?

Hi, I completed my application in mid April. But I have been having problems sending my MCAT scores via AAMC twice, and Georgetown's website still says that it has not received my scores... Anyone else have this problem?

AAMC may have sent your scores, but GU just might have not downloaded them yet. They say they're really backlogged, so maybe they haven't checked yet. Give them a call and find out, as that usually sparks some action.

AAMC may have sent your scores, but GU just might have not downloaded them yet. They say they're really backlogged, so maybe they haven't checked yet. Give them a call and find out, as that usually sparks some action.

I tried calling (202) 687-5974 which was in the email Georgetown sent after I completed the application. Is there another number?

I also emailed them at [email protected] a few days ago. What really concerns me is that they have not received one of my transcripts either and it was mailed in march.

I tried calling (202) 687-5974 which was in the email Georgetown sent after I completed the application. Is there another number?

I also emailed them at [email protected] a few days ago. What really concerns me is that they have not received one of my transcripts either and it was mailed in march.

If you call 202-687-1179 you should get Ms. Cabiness directly. It's on the SMP homepage, under the Faculty link.

I tried calling her office on two separate days this past week and she had a away message both times, stating that due to some emergency she will be out of the office for the day. :idea: