Official:Georgetown SMP Class of 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hello all! I just got my acceptance yesterday morning. Here's my timeline (since everyone is posting theirs)

Application Submitted 1/15/08
Under Review 2/15/08
Accepted 3/18/08

Members don't see this ad.

could you guys also post your stats? thankss

Hello all! I just got my acceptance yesterday morning. Here's my timeline (since everyone is posting theirs)

Application Submitted 1/15/08
Under Review 2/15/08
Accepted 3/18/08

How did you get your acceptance? By Email?

Members don't see this ad :)
How did you get your acceptance? By Email?
Yep. Snail mail to follow.

BTW, anyone know how Georgetown GPAs turn out? I know that they say 3.0 at minimum but that's not saying much at all when my GPA of 3.29 killed the app.

I applied back in Jan (under review 1/16 to be specific), and I haven't heard anything. I got the email saying i was under review 1/16 and that it would take 4-6 weeks. Should I email or call? If I was wait listed or rejected, I should have heard by now, right?

I applied back in Jan (under review 1/16 to be specific), and I haven't heard anything. I got the email saying i was under review 1/16 and that it would take 4-6 weeks. Should I email or call? If I was wait listed or rejected, I should have heard by now, right?

Yeah, you should call to check.

I was wondering if it was too late to apply and if I had a slimmest chance of getting in. I have a 3.25 and a 27 (10 bs, 9 vr, 8 ps), good GPA trend, 3.8,3.5,3.3,3.5. and I'm retaking the mcat this summer, but in august so... yikes. haha thanks, congrats and good luck to everyone!

I was wondering if it was too late to apply and if I had a slimmest chance of getting in. I have a 3.25 and a 27 (10 bs, 9 vr, 8 ps), good GPA trend, 3.8,3.5,3.3,3.5. and I'm retaking the mcat this summer, but in august so... yikes. haha thanks, congrats and good luck to everyone!

No, it is not too late.

http://smp.georgetown.edu/

No, it's not really too late, and you can definitely try, but the odds might be stacked against you in terms of stats. SMPs are ideal for people with low GPAs (with good trends) and a high MCAT score. Your GPA is low and your MCAT is below their minimum cutoff. Their minimum MCAT was raised to a 28 for this year. If you're below that, you'll only get consideration if you have a high GPA (they mentioned this in one of their forum topics). Your GPA seems to be trending downwards, which also does not help. Retaking the MCAT would help, but it would need to be this April. Obviously, you don't want to take the MCAT if you're not ready, so wait until you are. Sorry for sounding harsh, but objectively, your stats don't seem competitive for the SMP.

Anyone complete late Feb and have heard back?

my app was under review at the end of feb and everyday im hoping for an email from georgetown - so nope

I'm concerned because I submitted my application 2/26 and it still says it is incomplete because they have not received my MCAT score, but had that released a few days before I submitted. I tried emailing them but I havent heard back. Is this normal that it is taking so long? Is there a number I can call to get in touch with them?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm concerned because I submitted my application 2/26 and it still says it is incomplete because they have not received my MCAT score, but had that released a few days before I submitted. I tried emailing them but I havent heard back. Is this normal that it is taking so long? Is there a number I can call to get in touch with them?

Don't worry.
My status says my file is complete, and I have received a completion email.
However, my MCAT score status says it is still not received.
I guess they just forgot to update it. :rolleyes:
It took me more than a month to receive that completion email, so I think you are ok. :D

Don't worry.
My status says my file is complete, and I have received a completion email.
However, my MCAT score status says it is still not received.
I guess they just forgot to update it. :rolleyes:
It took me more than a month to receive that completion email, so I think you are ok. :D

This happened to me too and they also had problems with my payment (they said they hadn't received it even tho I paid as soon as I submitted).
I emailed them a couple times and just kept bothering them about it. I asked them if they needed me to resend the score, but then they looked and said they had it and updated it like the next day. It took them a while but they updated everything. Just keep bothering them and eventually they'll do it.

Would you mind posting your stats? If I get accepted, I'd be there for sure...I'll pay double! (I mean take out double loans...)! :D

Hey sorry I didn't see that you asked for this until now, My stats when I applied were 30O and 3.1, I think? My GPA has gone up since then but I'm pretty sure that's what it was. Good luck!

I'm in!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HOLLA!!!!

I was actually in Georgetown, and walked around the medical area last weekend... it is AMAZING...

So glad to be in!!

I was accepted today. Pretty excited about it, considering the huge amount of rejection as of late. My application was complete 3/4/08. My stats are 3.33 with a 32 O.
Good luck to everyone else.

Anyone else from CA? What you thinking of doing about housing?

I was accepted today. Pretty excited about it, considering the huge amount of rejection as of late. My application was complete 3/4/08. My stats are 3.33 with a 32 O.

Congrats Gary!

Congrats!
I was complete on 3/7/08. I guess I will see my decision in a few days then. :rolleyes:

I received the e-mail today, the official letter should follow in the next few weeks.

Hey did anyone here also get into EVMS' SMP? I'm having a really tough time choosing between the two. Any opinions/advice would be appreciated.

They send out unofficial acceptance letters by e-mail and then send you an official one by letter mail.

So Vihsadas, where are you going to be again? You are going to Georgetown right?

So have all of you that have been accepted joined the yahoo group?

bad news for me I guess, I was under review on 03/04 and no email today :(

Under review 3/4, accepted today as well.

So Vihsadas, where are you going to be again? You are going to Georgetown right?

So have all of you that have been accepted joined the yahoo group?

Yeah I have been accepted, and I'm in the yahoo group, but I have no idea where I'm going between Cinci and Gtown...Money is a huge factor and cinci will be about 10-15K cheaper (overall). Also, cinci seems to have a much more personalized program. They offer things like interview practice, a shadowing program, application help etc.
But then again, DC is well...it's DC (rockin' place so I hear).
I also have family friends and my best friend in DC so it really is a toss up.

Yeah I have been accepted, and I'm in the yahoo group, but I have no idea where I'm going between Cinci and Gtown...Money is a huge factor and cinci will be about 10-15K cheaper (overall). Also, cinci seems to have a much more personalized program. They offer things like interview practice, a shadowing program, application help etc.
I'm thinking about deferring Georgetown for a year so the rest of you can tell me if it was worth it in the end :)

And for ppl who are debating between something and the SMP, Dr. Mulroney says that you can defer if you let their office know.

Hey Vihsadas, thought I would throw in my two cents about some of your concerns. I actually interviewed with Georgetown to discuss some of the aspects of my application, and I got the exact opposite impression that you got about their "hands on"-ness... Seems to me like they take it very seriously, and are very involved with trying to get you into medical school after one year. After talking with all of them, and touring the campus I was absolutely in love with the program.

They very much, want YOU to get into medical school. Now on the other hand, BU sounds like more what you were describing, the hands off fend for yourself. I feel like Georgetown is the perfect blend of large program, aka large, well known name recognition, and personalized in that you have an adviser and office dedicated to getting you into medical school. Give you an idea... I was on the phone with an admissions person at a medical school in California and I expressed that I was considering doing an SMP, and asked them what they thought about that. Her first response was, "Oh, you mean like the one at Georgetown?"

Don't under estimate the importance of people knowing about the program. I think the Cinci program is awesome, seems like they have a lot to offer, but it seems like at this point Georgetown, being the originator of this type of program, still is tops.

I want to reiterate, perhaps they don't offer personalized interview practice, but after visiting and speaking with them I felt very much like they would all help in any way they could in order to get their students into medical school.

Hey Vihsadas, thought I would throw in my two cents about some of your concerns. I actually interviewed with Georgetown to discuss some of the aspects of my application, and I got the exact opposite impression that you got about their "hands on"-ness... Seems to me like they take it very seriously, and are very involved with trying to get you into medical school after one year. After talking with all of them, and touring the campus I was absolutely in love with the program.

They very much, want YOU to get into medical school. Now on the other hand, BU sounds like more what you were describing, the hands off fend for yourself. I feel like Georgetown is the perfect blend of large program, aka large, well known name recognition, and personalized in that you have an adviser and office dedicated to getting you into medical school. Give you an idea... I was on the phone with an admissions person at a medical school in California and I expressed that I was considering doing an SMP, and asked them what they thought about that. Her first response was, "Oh, you mean like the one at Georgetown?"

Don't under estimate the importance of people knowing about the program. I think the Cinci program is awesome, seems like they have a lot to offer, but it seems like at this point Georgetown, being the originator of this type of program, still is tops.

I want to reiterate, perhaps they don't offer personalized interview practice, but after visiting and speaking with them I felt very much like they would all help in any way they could in order to get their students into medical school.

Thanks DrJD, its really awesome to have another opinion to weigh. I'm definitely sooo torn! What to do!? (Oh the other thing is the OH residency in the Cinci program.)

Thanks DrJD, its really awesome to have another opinion to weigh. I'm definitely sooo torn! What to do!? (Oh the other thing is the OH residency in the Cinci program.)

Yea, a super tough decision! Is there any way you can go visit Georgetown? That sealed the deal for me... I was just SO impressed... If you could visit both that would probably help...

Good luck in making your decision though, be sure to let us know what you decide, hope to see you at Georgetown!

Hey

I just submitted my app. but was wondering where in the application you can check your status? I see a main screen once I login showing the status of my recommendation letters and confirmation that my application has been submitted...but no check list.

Thanks for any help

Hey guys,

I was accepted into the program early January, and I'm having doubts about whether or not this is what I need to improve my application.

My overall GPA is 3.56, BCPM of 3.29. I have a strong upward trend in my grades from freshman to senior years (3.2 freshman/sophomore, 3.9 junior and senior), and I earned all A's and some A-'s during my last two years, many of which are in upper-division science courses.

MCAT April 2006: 25(8VR, 8PS, 9BS) - very ill prepared
MCAT May 2007: 28(8VR, 10PS, 10BS) - score was lower than all my practice tests, so I will be retaking in June.

If I can pull up my MCAT above a 30, which I feel pretty confident about, would you all still recommend I do the SMP?

Any advice would be much appreciated

Thanks

Hey guys,

I was accepted into the program early January, and I'm having doubts about whether or not this is what I need to improve my application.

My overall GPA is 3.56, BCPM of 3.29. I have a strong upward trend in my grades from freshman to senior years (3.2 freshman/sophomore, 3.9 junior and senior), and I earned all A's and some A-'s during my last two years, many of which are in upper-division science courses.

MCAT May 2007: 28(8VR, 10PS, 10BS) - score was lower than all my practice tests, so I will be retaking in June.

If I can pull up my MCAT above a 30, which I feel pretty confident about, would you all still recommend I do the SMP?

Thanks

You've got the right idea by retaking the MCAT, a 30-32+ would be ideal.

The SMP could still help you since your science GPA is low (your overall is fine). But since you mention you have a good upward trend (with an explanation for it I hope), your GPA shouldn't be that much of a problem. It seems like a strange situation, your GPA needs some help, but it's not horrible. It depends if you want to take the risk of an SMP, since if you don't do well it could kill your app. If you feel you can handle it, and do well, your low science GPA can be ignored. It just comes down to whether or not you're ready to make this your last shot.

Hey guys,

Thanks

Depending on the number of semester hours you have and how many science classes you've taken I'd recommend a post-bacc for the upcoming year.
Assuming you had about 30 non-science classes, if you got a 3.95 over 30 science credits (out of 120) in a post-bacc you could raise yoru BCPM to a 3.455. Then, getting a 32-33+ on the MCAT would make you competitive.

Hey guys,

Thanks

Here's my story. Well, it's not really an advice, just my situation. :D
My overall gpa is also 3.56, and my MCAT is 34O.
I have a very strong upward trend in my gpa also. (my freshman gpa was 2.84)
I applied to med schools super late two years ago, received only two interviews, waitlisted, and then rejected. :oops:
Meanwhile, I was accepted to Georgetown SMP.
However, I thought if I just apply earlier, I would be fine this time.
So I withdrew from Georgetown SMP and applied super early last summer.
Now, I'm on 4 waitlists :mad:, have one more interview scheduled next week, and reapplied to Georgetown SMP.
I did more volunteering and other extracurricular things last year, and I really don't know how to improve my application any more other than doing SMP at this point.
Considering that waitlist movements during last couple years have been minimal, I think my chances are really little.
If I get rejected from all med schools that I applied and accepted to Georgetown SMP, I will be definately doing it this time. (even though I will end up w/ $50k debt, which is why I withdrew last year. :D)
I hope my story somehow helped you to make a decision.

Good luck! :luck:

Speaking of being 50k in debt, does anyone know how the financial aid for this program works? I guess you won't get any grants from Gtown but how much money in loans can you take out? I've been looking at housing and it seems like housing will be very expensive and I was wondering if 50k would be enough.

Found this info in an interview about the smp program!!

"Does the SM program offer any type of guidance for application to medical school, besides the standard curriculum?

A: Yes.

We offer workshops on interviewing skills, in which we have members of the Georgetown University School of Medicine Admissions Committee talk about the interview process, ie, what they are looking for when they are interviewing applicants for medical school. We have study skill workshops, in which we go over with students some strategies and techniques for studying medical school courses.

We offer individual counseling and advice on preparation for AMCAS [American Medical College Application Service] forms and which medical schools to apply to. We offer input on MCATs and personal statements. We have presentations on financial aid for medical school, opportunities in military medicine, and opportunities in related health professions (for example, osteopathic schools). So we do quite a bit besides simply offering courses and degrees."

Here is the link to the entire interview, answers some of your questions Vihsadas, thought you'd like to see it!

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/403693_2

It seems all those workshops on AMCAS, personal statement, picking where to apply, etc. would only be helpful if you plan on applying after the program. They expect you to submit your AMCAS and have all your secondaries completed by the time you enter, so those sessions wouldn't be much help to anyone applying while in the program. The interviewing ones would be nice though.

Speaking of being 50k in debt, does anyone know how the financial aid for this program works? I guess you won't get any grants from Gtown but how much money in loans can you take out? I've been looking at housing and it seems like housing will be very expensive and I was wondering if 50k would be enough.

When I was accepted last year, they provided just following 3 laons:

Federal Unsubsidized Stafford Loan 12K
Federal Subsidized Stafford Loan 8.5K
Federal Graduate Plus Loan 34.93K
Total: $ 55,430

Yes, they gave me no grant, and that was the maximum that I could take out from loans.
I think this year will be somewhat similar.

When I was accepted last year, they provided just following 3 laons:

Federal Unsubsidized Stafford Loan 12K
Federal Subsidized Stafford Loan 8.5K
Federal Graduate Plus Loan 34.93K
Total: $ 55,430

Yes, they gave me no grant, and that was the maximum that I could take out from loans.
I think this year will be somewhat similar.

What happens if you need more money? Is there any way to get more through other avenues? I'm just concerned about the cost of living in the DC area. I imagine we won't have time to work during the program. I don't have any clue how this whole loan and financial aid stuff works so if anyone can chime in please do so.

Anyone know of any good apartment buildings in the Virginia area? It is so hard to go by reviews online...

Has anyone who is a reapplicant discussed their decision to pursue an SMP with any medical school admissions offices? If so, which schools and what was their opinion regarding the program?

Has anyone who is a reapplicant discussed their decision to pursue an SMP with any medical school admissions offices? If so, which schools and what was their opinion regarding the program?

I am from Texas and spoken to almost all 7 schools about post-bacs and they basically all told me that if you're in a low gpa, decent mcat situation than post bac is the way to go. If you've already taken the MCAT and done reasonably well than you've have proven that you're smart enough to go to med school however I've been told that post-bacs are a way to prove that you can actually survive and do well in medical school, because they provide a direct comparison to current first year students.

Anyone else from Texas going to Georgetown SMP this fall?

Post-bac or SMP?

I am from Texas and spoken to almost all 7 schools about post-bacs and they basically all told me that if you're in a low gpa, decent mcat situation than post bac is the way to go. If you've already taken the MCAT and done reasonably well than you've have proven that you're smart enough to go to med school however I've been told that post-bacs are a way to prove that you can actually survive and do well in medical school, because they provide a direct comparison to current first year students.

sorry SMP, but really I'm just trying to meet people from Houston, or Texas in general who are gonna be at Georgetown this fall.

I don't know if it counts but I was raised in Texas until my parents moved us to California, and my wife and I would love to move back there someday! I still have family there :) the Dallas area rocks!

sorry SMP, but really I'm just trying to meet people from Houston, or Texas in general who are gonna be at Georgetown this fall.