This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi everyone
Pretty new here had this account but pretty much been lurking. Could really use a little advice and my school doesn't give much

Med School: Ross (Carrib IMG - US citizen)
Step 1: 230
CS: Pass
Step 2 CK: Failed (today) - Retaking in 2 months
Had NBMEs >230 - not quite sure what happened, probably panic​
Class Rank: NA
Rotations: Good comments from attendings for MSPE.
Research: 1 case-study pending - major EU journal, few undergrad ones
LOR: 3 strong letters from US hospitals (2 IM specialties, 1FM), 2 chiefs.

Just curious is it worth trying for IM/FM (applying ~100 programs each), should I go FM only, or reconsider my life?

You'll probably get a bite somewhere for both. Highly doubtful you'll get many university programs due to the failed CK attempt.

Members don't see this ad.

Making the switch to Medicine late
Med School: Top 20 Allo
259/262/Pass
AOA: Unlikely but top 25th-ile probably (slightly above average during basic science bc of our grading scheme during these years)
Rotations: H Med, HP rest, 1 P (OB), no medicine electives, H IM sub-I, at comments on IM rotation;
Research: some college abstracts, medschool project that won't be ready for submission by ints
ECs: Solid, some interesting ones to discuss, good theme and meaningful involvement, volunteering also
LORs: Nothing groundbreaking, but strong, typical "performing at intern level" stuff

Chances at top south/southeast programs (emory, utsw, bcm, duke, etc.)? How about any of the big northeast ones given my "limited" medicine exposure and lack of research? I go to one of said programs, if that helps.

Unfortunately (or fortunately I suppose for you), where you go to med school does matter for the "top" IM residencies in the northeast, from my experience, primarily I'm assuming because it makes the school look good.

Your scores are excellent. Lack of published research should not be a deterrent for interview given the rest of your stuff.

Longtime lurker here newly joined to post because I'm pretty lost in all this.

Med School: Top 50; State-school in the Midwest
Step 1: 260s
Step 2: Not Taken Yet
Class Rank: Top Quartile
AOA: Junior AOA
Core clerkships: Honors all, including sub-I
Research: 1 abstract and poster presentation in undergrad, 2 abstracts/posters and 1 oral presentation at ACP conference during med school. Research in Interventional Cardiology
Recs: Strong LoRs from sub-I/IM rotation (same hospitalist), NW hospitalist, and well-known Intensivist in Midwest.
ECs: Peer tutoring (paid), AOA President

1. Is my application strong enough for the Big 4?
2. If I had to pick a fellowship now, I would choose Cardiology; however, I am not 100% certain by any means. Should I gear my target application list to programs that are particularly strong in Cardiology, or do I just go for strong IM programs. I know there's obviously a lot of overlap.
3. Currently am using the Doximity rankings tool to organize a list of places to apply (willing to apply everywhere geographically). Anyone have suggestions on programs to apply to in addition to the top 30 or so on that list?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)

Research: 1 abstract and poster presentation in undergrad, 2 abstracts/posters and 1 oral presentation at ACP conference during med school. Research in Interventional Cardiology
Recs: Strong LoRs from sub-I/IM rotation (same hospitalist), NW hospitalist, and well-known Intensivist in Midwest.

2. If I had to pick a fellowship now, I would choose Cardiology; however, I am not 100% certain by any means. Should I gear my target application list to programs that are particularly strong in Cardiology, or do I just go for strong IM programs. I know there's obviously a lot of overlap.
3. Currently am using the Doximity rankings tool to organize a list of places to apply (willing to apply everywhere geographically). Anyone have suggestions on programs to apply to in addition to the top 30 or so on that list?

1) MD/PHD + Junior AOA + 260s = strong enough for anywhere
2) You should gear your application to strong IM programs as some of the top cardiology programs don't have a strong medicine program attached to them.
3) Doximity is a pretty good place to start for pick programs. I would apply broadly to the top 30 and then once interviews start rolling in, decide on like 15 you like. Probably also a good idea to narrow down your regional bias and bunch your interviews as such so you don't get exhausted flying everywhere:
Rough estimate of regions...
NE/Atlantic: MGH, B&W, JHU, Penn, Columbia, BID, Cornell, MSSM, NYU, Yale
South: Duke, UTSW, Baylor, Emory, UNC, UVA, Alabama
Midwest: Michigan, Vandy, WashU, Mayo, Northwestern, UChicago, UPMC
West: UCSF, Stanford, UW, UCLA, UCSD, OHSU, Colorado

Med School: DO
Step 1: 228
Step 2: 240
Class Rank: middle
Core clerkships: Mostly honors
Research: NONE woooo
ECs: typical

Looking at average university IM programs. Im not a standout on paper, just need to get into the interview room. Anyone have any thought or suggestions on places to apply? Mainly tristate area? NJ/De/Pa?

2) You should gear your application to strong IM programs as some of the top cardiology programs don't have a strong medicine program attached to them.
3) Doximity is a pretty good place to start for pick programs. I would apply broadly to the top 30 and then once interviews start rolling in, decide on like 15 you like. Probably also a good idea to narrow down your regional bias and bunch your interviews as such so you don't get exhausted flying everywhere:

Thanks for the very detailed post! Only edit I have to make is I am only MD, not MD/PhD. Hope that does not change much though!

Don't give that much power to the doximity rankings. Any list that puts CCF that high up is a joke. It looks like you're only using the list as a rough guideline though. Anyway I think you shouldn't discount where you'd like to live and lifestyle considerations when it comes to picking places to apply. It ends up being arguably the most important factor as you'll find that matching into fellowship isn't going to change much between similar caliber programs.

I'm a dual degree (not MSTP) with a strong publication record looking for academic programs in the south. All of my research points to a very specific IM fellowship, but I'm honestly undecided about anything beyond residency at this point... but I am interested in general IM, oncology, and infectious disease. I want to continue research during residency, but my biggest goal is to get into a residency program where I'll get strong clinical training. I'll be applying to the big names down here: UVA, Duke, UNC, Vandy, UAB, UTSW, and Baylor.

My question is: what other programs in the south have a good reputation for providing strong clinical training with the opportunity to do research?

Hi guys long time lurker. Would appreciate some advice on where you think I would stand. Thanks.

Med school rank: Mid/lower tier
USMLE Step 1: 234
USMLE Step 2: taken waiting for score
USMLE CS: P
Class rank: somewhere in the middle
AOA: no, but GHHS
Honors: H Family Med, Psych, Sub I, MS4 Med Elective. HP Medicine, Peds, Ob/Gyn. P Surgery, Neuro
Research: 1 National Conference poster, couple of local posters. No pubs by the time applications go out.
LOR: Solid.

EC’s: Very solid medical school EC’s.

I understand I’m a pretty average applicant so just wondering which of these are reaches for me and which are possible good fits?

Brown, Dartmouth, Hopkins-Bayview, NYU, Mt. Sinai, Montefiore, Mayo, BU, Tufts, Robert Wood Johnson, Cleveland Clinic, Case Western, UNC, Temple, Thomas Jefferson, Georgetown, George Washington

Honestly, scores/grades/AOA status wise you will be fine. The only thing potentially stopping you from some places is lack of publications. This may prevent you from getting into some of the big named schools who care more about that. The only other thing I can see that would hold you up is which state school you came from the Midwest. Sometimes where you attended may hinder/help you get into certain programs. Look at the match list of your program for the last 5 years and see if anyone has matched at the big 4 or any of the top med programs.
If you are looking for cards then all the big name programs turn out outstanding applicants. Should be more about fit at this point. All the top programs will send their kids to the best programs (I'd say Big 4 and Columbia, Penn and Duke). Other programs send their kids to amazing cards programs, but not at the same frequency as some of those other 7 programs. Duke and Columbia have some of the best cards programs in the country and if you are set with cards I would strongly consider them. CCF is also another good program and a good sleeper is Baylor with their association with Texas Heart (do not quote me on this but I think they are associated with them).

Hi guys long time lurker. Would appreciate some advice on where you think I would stand. Thanks.

Honors: H Family Med, Psych, Sub I, MS4 Med Elective. HP Medicine, Peds, Ob/Gyn. P Surgery, Neuro
Research: 1 National Conference poster, couple of local posters. No pubs by the time applications go out.

I understand I’m a pretty average applicant so just wondering which of these are reaches for me and which are possible good fits?

Brown, Dartmouth, Hopkins-Bayview, NYU, Mt. Sinai, Montefiore, Mayo, BU, Tufts, Robert Wood Johnson, Cleveland Clinic, Case Western, UNC, Temple, Thomas Jefferson, Georgetown, George Washington

All look good to me. I think you have a good list. best of luck. I'd also consider certain programs over others if interested in a specific fellowship.

You have a good average to above average application as you mentioned. Your step 1 is average to slightly above average, and your 3rd/4th year clerkship grades are great (H in sub-I does make up somewhat for a HP in Medicine). Your research experience is also pretty typical for people applying to IM residency (mine was similar).

Assuming you do either as well or better on Step 2, I think your list can be classified as:

Undershooting: Cleveland Clinic (great cardiology fellowship, middle-of-the-road IM residency)
Attainable: Monte, Tufts, BU, Case, RWJ, Temple, Jefferson, GW, Georgetown, Mayo (this place is a bit different from the other places you might apply to)
Possibly attainable: Sinai, Hopkins-Bayview, Dartmouth
Reach: Brown, NYU, UNC

Would add University of MD (excellent, somewhat underrated program), Rochester (if you're willing to put up with location/weather), UMass, UVA, VCU (also excellent and underrated program).
You can try for the Cornell or Columbia programs, though of course they are reaches. Hopkins would definitely be a reach given lack of publications and average step 1 scores. Penn is a huge reach as well.

Best of luck! You shouldn't have any trouble matching.

Samuel_L.jpg

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,

At top 10 med school. Had bad third year with 3P 5HP. Step 1: 232. Step 2CK 265.

I have Master's degree and 1 pub in a great journal.
Would like to match at an academic institution. I don't care where.

Am I competitive at an academic institution or resigned to a fate of community program

Thanks

I think it totally depends on your clinical evals, and your grades are not fantastic, but still good. I don't see at all why you can't go to an academic center, especially coming from a "top 10"

Last edited:
All look good to me. I think you have a good list. best of luck. I'd also consider certain programs over others if interested in a specific fellowship.

You have a good average to above average application as you mentioned. Your step 1 is average to slightly above average, and your 3rd/4th year clerkship grades are great (H in sub-I does make up somewhat for a HP in Medicine). Your research experience is also pretty typical for people applying to IM residency (mine was similar).

Assuming you do either as well or better on Step 2, I think your list can be classified as:

Undershooting: Cleveland Clinic (great cardiology fellowship, middle-of-the-road IM residency)
Attainable: Monte, Tufts, BU, Case, RWJ, Temple, Jefferson, GW, Georgetown, Mayo (this place is a bit different from the other places you might apply to)
Possibly attainable: Sinai, Hopkins-Bayview, Dartmouth
Reach: Brown, NYU, UNC

Would add University of MD (excellent, somewhat underrated program), Rochester (if you're willing to put up with location/weather), UMass, UVA, VCU (also excellent and underrated program).
You can try for the Cornell or Columbia programs, though of course they are reaches. Hopkins would definitely be a reach given lack of publications and average step 1 scores. Penn is a huge reach as well.

Best of luck! You shouldn't have any trouble matching.

thank you guys i appreciate it!

Med school rank: Top 40
USMLE Step 1: 258
USMLE Step 2: Pending
USMLE CS: Pending
Class rank: top 30-50% I believe
AOA: No
Honors: H Peds, Psych, Neuro, FM. HP: Ob-GYN. P: IM, Surgery
Research: National poster presentation, school poster presentations, 2 research fellowships but no publications.
LOR: Very good well known physicians.
EC's: Well rounded.

Could anyone else which of these I am a reach and competitive and safety's for? Thanks!

MGH, BWH, BI Deaconess, UCSF, Stanford, Hopkins, Hopkin's Bayview, UPenn, NYU, Mt. Sinai, Columbia, Cornell, Dartmouth, Brown, Yale, UNC, Duke, Tufts, BU, Thomas Jefferson, Georgetown, George Washington, UMD, Northwestern, Case Western.

Research: National poster presentation, school poster presentations, 2 research fellowships but no publications.

Could anyone else which of these I am a reach and competitive and safety's for? Thanks!

MGH, BWH, BI Deaconess, UCSF, Stanford, Hopkins, Hopkin's Bayview, UPenn, NYU, Mt. Sinai, Columbia, Cornell, Dartmouth, Brown, Yale, UNC, Duke, Tufts, BU, Thomas Jefferson, Georgetown, George Washington, UMD, Northwestern, Case Western.

Your Step 1 score is excellent, and that will open doors. The things probably that will be an issue for you at "top" programs (which may not be the case for people who come from a "top 10" school otherwise) are your lack of AOA and a pass in IM. Research seems pretty reasonable. Your application is definitely above average.

Reach: MGH, BWH, BID, UCSF, Hopkins, Stanford, Penn, NYU, Sinai, Columbia, Cornell, Brown, Yale, Duke
Attainable: Case, UMD, GWU, Georgetown, Jefferson, Tufts, BU, ? Dartmouth (don't know much about the program TBH), ? UNC (not sure), JH Bayview
Safety: Hard to judge from these

Would add Temple University to the list as well. Maybe also RWJMS, NJMS if you're looking at Jersey. Vandy might give you a look but still prob a reach. Try for Montefiore as well in NYC.

You'll match, but would add more "attainable" ones as you put it. Do well on your interviews, kick some major butt on Step 2, and try to publish in the interim if at all possible (no biggie otherwise).

If you do on par with your Step 2 and honor your Sub-I, this is how I would look at it
Semi-Reach: MGH, BWH, UCSF, Hopkins, Stanford, Penn, Columbia, Duke, UW, Michigan
Attainable: NW, Cornell, Sinai, NYU, Yale, BID, Brown, Dartmouth, Case, UNC
Safety: UMD, GWU, Georgetown, Jefferson, Tufts, Bayview

It doesn't appear you are so geographically limited from your list so I would recommend throwing at least a few more programs around the your level in no particular order (Monte, UVA, UChicago, UCSD, UCLA, Baylor, UTSW, Ucolorado, OHSU, Alabama, Vanderbilt, Emory, Mayo, UPMC, etc...

If you do on par with your Step 2 and honor your Sub-I, this is how I would look at it
Semi-Reach: MGH, BWH, UCSF, Hopkins, Stanford, Penn, Columbia, Duke, UW, Michigan
Attainable: NW, Cornell, Sinai, NYU, Yale, BID, Brown, Dartmouth, Case, UNC
Safety: UMD, GWU, Georgetown, Jefferson, Tufts, Bayview

It doesn't appear you are so geographically limited from your list so I would recommend throwing at least a few more programs around the your level in no particular order (Monte, UVA, UChicago, UCSD, UCLA, Baylor, UTSW, Ucolorado, OHSU, Alabama, Vanderbilt, Emory, Mayo, UPMC, etc...
This advice misses the mark. The applicant only has one of the factors needed to match at an elite program and that's a high step 1 score. Beyond that: P in medicine, not top quartile, not AOA, not from a top school. Feel free to apply of course but the ones this guy is calling "semi reach" are a long shot and a bunch of the ones on the "attainable" list are reaches.

Reactions: 1 user
This advice misses the mark. The applicant only has one of the factors needed to match at an elite program and that's a high step 1 score. Beyond that: P in medicine, not top quartile, not AOA, not from a top school. Feel free to apply of course but the ones this guy is calling "semi reach" are a long shot and a bunch of the ones on the "attainable" list are reaches.

I will agree that the that the Semi-reach programs are actually real reaches, but you'd be surprised at what some applicants were able to get in the last few match result threads. If OP applies to all of the "Attainables" with the additional programs listed, he will not have an issue.

Last edited:
Hi ,
I would appreciate your input on my chances to match this season:
IMG , year of graduation 2008
Step1 224, Step 2 254, CS pass ( all first attempt)
Taking step 3 in October
Additional qualifications: PhD and MSc. from top UK institutions
Publications: Several first author publications, conference presentations, posters and talks
US clinical experience: 3months at University Teaching Hospital, got 3 strong letters from IM attending all faculty members. Did not waive right to view ( I prefer to upload documents myself to ensure that my application is completed on time).
Visa requirements: H1B preferred
Applying to 60 programs ( 20 in each tier i.e. top middle and lower tier)

What are my chances to get a spot in a top 20 institutions? I have strong contacts which can allow me to secure an interview in a top 5 program that only offers J1 visas and would like to know if this is even worth pursuing and how appropriate is to ask about H1B sponsorship in an interview ( I have heard that visa sponsorship is not set in stone and if a program really wants you they can make decisions on a case by case basis, Is this true?).

Lastly is 60 applications with 40 going to university based programs to little? Should I apply to more programs? I have a preference for NE and SE due to family ties.
Thanks

Hi ,
I would appreciate your input on my chances to match this season:
IMG , year of graduation 2008
Step1 224, Step 2 254, CS pass ( all first attempt)
Taking step 3 in October
Additional qualifications: PhD and MSc. from top UK institutions
Publications: Several first author publications, conference presentations, posters and talks
US clinical experience: 3months at University Teaching Hospital, got 3 strong letters from IM attending all faculty members. Did not waive right to view ( I prefer to upload documents myself to ensure that my application is completed on time).
Visa requirements: H1B preferred
Applying to 60 programs ( 20 in each tier i.e. top middle and lower tier)

What are my chances to get a spot in a top 20 institutions? I have strong contacts which can allow me to secure an interview in a top 5 program that only offers J1 visas and would like to know if this is even worth pursuing and how appropriate is to ask about H1B sponsorship in an interview ( I have heard that visa sponsorship is not set in stone and if a program really wants you they can make decisions on a case by case basis, Is this true?).

Lastly is 60 applications with 40 going to university based programs to little? Should I apply to more programs? I have a preference for NE and SE due to family ties.
Thanks

Are you an IMG or FMG (are you an American at a foreign school or a foreigner?). If it's the former where is this school located? I'm assuming since you need a visa it's the latter.

What have you been doing for the last 7 years???

Are your letters from 7 years ago? You do realize that noone is going to buy your excuse for seeing your letters. The default assumption is that you shopped for LORs and hand-picked the most favorable ones so they're essentially meaningless. If you really did not waive your right to see the letters just so you can upload them yourself then it's sad you were so horribly misinformed. This is going to be even fishier if these letters were written 7 years ago.

I graduated in 2008 and ent on to do an MSc and a PhD so really I have no gaps on my CV. All of the research was clinical/ translational and yielded strong recommendations. Unfortunately I cannot undo the fact that I did not waive the right to see my letters . Letter are all from this year because I did my US placement straight after completing the PhD earlier this year. I am an IMG who did not study medicine in the US or in the carribean. I must emphasise that my research is very very strong and I have strong letters of recommendation from my time in cambridge UK.

I graduated in 2008 and ent on to do an MSc and a PhD so really I have no gaps on my CV. All of the research was clinical/ translational and yielded strong recommendations. Unfortunately I cannot undo the fact that I did not waive the right to see my letters . Letter are all from this year because I did my US placement straight after completing the PhD earlier this year. I am an IMG who did not study medicine in the US or in the carribean. I must emphasise that my research is very very strong and I have strong letters of recommendation from my time in cambridge UK.

My advice: get new letters (even from the same letter writers as before), but this time waive your right to view them. Otherwise, your letters are completely worthless. I wouldn't be surprised if nobody reads them.

Also, your step 1 score is inconsistent with applicants who match in "top 5" and most "top 20" programs. I would adjust your expectations. The fact that you need a visa doesn't help.

Reactions: 1 user
My advice: get new letters (even from the same letter writers as before), but this time waive your right to view them. Otherwise, your letters are completely worthless. I wouldn't be surprised if nobody reads them.

Also, your step 1 score is inconsistent with applicants who match in "top 5" and most "top 20" programs. I would adjust your expectations. The fact that you need a visa doesn't help.

I doubt any of the letter writers would be willing to do that and I would be cautious not to piss them off as it will come off as you trying to play them, essentially have your cake and eat it too by not waiving then waiving. Depends on your relationship with the letter writer though.

I'm still confused whether you're an IMG or FMG. Again, since you need a visa I'm assuming you're not an American citizen. IMGs (American citizens who decided to go to med school abroad) rarely if ever match at "top" programs of any kind... unless you went to an elite respected overseas school. Having a master's and PhD is nice and all but at the residency stage they're looking to hire solid clinicians first and foremost. A below average step 1 score is not in line with FMGs that match at top programs... couple that with a bunch of letters you've sullied and I would have to agree with the above.... adjust your expectations. "Any university hospital" would be a good place to start.

Trying again with a little more info and more specific questions.

Med school:
public southern school, consistently ranked in the 30s
USMLE Step 1: a very disappointing couple points below the average
USMLE Step 2: pending both CK (Sept) and CS (Oct)
Class rank: bottom half
AOA: nope

Core clerkships: Honors in surgery and family medicine. We don’t have HP. Passes for everything else. Had 2nd quartile rankings for medicine, psych, and neuro. 3rd quartile for ob/gyn and peds. We’re completely P/F during 4th year so my subI was a P though it went well.

Research: PhD + 2 yr postdoc + worked as a lab consultant throughout medical school. Ended up with 11 pubs (5 first author), 18 poster presentations, and secured my own funding as a grad student with a DOD grant. Scored a fellowship both prior and after my grant ran out. Several travel awards and a few presentation awards. I’m in the process of starting up some clinical infectious disease research.

Recs: Two solid letters from my SubI (including one from a co-PD) and a very strong letter from my research mentor. My chair’s letter should be solid as well.

ECs: spent a number of hours volunteering at our free clinic but never bothered with student groups or committees, spent most of my free time working my research gig.

I have no interest in the top 4, and I know I’m not competitive there anyway. My geographical preference is the south. Aside from the geographical restriction, my biggest concerns are getting into a program that will strengthen my clinical skills in a non-malignant environment and allow me to do some research. Brand names mean nothing. I just want to get a good education and set-up for possible fellowship options in oncology, infectious disease, or critical care. We get a lot of OSH transfers and high acuity pts at my current medical center, and I’m looking for a similar patient population. As it currently stands, here’s my application list:

Reaches: Emory, Vanderbilt, UAB, UVA, VCU, MUSC, Duke, UNC, Tulane? LSU-NO?
Match: Arkansas, Kentucky, Louisville, Mississippi, Wake, USC, Tennessee, MCG, UAB-Huntsville, UF
Safety: some local community programs and lower end university-affiliated programs

Any places I’m overlooking that would be a good fit?
Also, I’m interested specifically in the reputations of Tulane, LSU-NO, Wake, MUSC, and Mississippi. Any opinions?

I doubt any of the letter writers would be willing to do that and I would be cautious not to piss them off as it will come off as you trying to play them, essentially have your cake and eat it too by not waiving then waiving. Depends on your relationship with the letter writer though.

I'm still confused whether you're an IMG or FMG. Again, since you need a visa I'm assuming you're not an American citizen. IMGs (American citizens who decided to go to med school abroad) rarely if ever match at "top" programs of any kind... unless you went to an elite respected overseas school. Having a master's and PhD is nice and all but at the residency stage they're looking to hire solid clinicians first and foremost. A below average step 1 score is not in line with FMGs that match at top programs... couple that with a bunch of letters you've sullied and I would have to agree with the above.... adjust your expectations. "Any university hospital" would be a good place to start.

Thanks, I am not an american citizen. I studied medicine in my home country then went on straight after graduating to do research degrees in the UK. Just to clarify my status. As such I do need VISA sponsorship. Too bad I " sullied" my letter, I guess that was naive of me but not much I can do about that now and definitely will not want to antagonise my letter writers especially those who have made phone calls for me and put me in contact with some good programs I can apply to. Your input is helpful.

Med school rank: Middle tier
USMLE Step 1: 207
USMLE Step 2 CK: 235
Class rank: top 50%, maybe a little higher
AOA: no
Honors: H in IM clerkship and IM sub-i; HP OBGYN, Psych, Peds; P surgery, family
Research: 1 published abstract, multiple platform/poster presentations
LOR: strong
Other extracurriculars: extensive community service background
Region: happy to go to any big city; most important = looking to go into a competitive fellowship

I know my Step 1 is by far my biggest weakness, otherwise I think I'm pretty average? I'm not sure if this list has enough security. Let me know if you'd add anything!!

What do you think of these programs as "at par"? It's a fairly wide range of programs:
University of California Riverside School of Medicine Program
Cedars-Sinai Medical Center Program
University of California (Davis) Health System Program
University of California (Irvine) Program
University of Southern California/LAC+USC Medical Center Program
Los Angeles County-Harbor-UCLA Medical Center Program
Georgetown University Hospital Program
George Washington University Program
Emory University Program
Rush University Medical Center Program
Loyola University Program
University of Illinois College of Medicine at Chicago Program
Tufts Medical Center Program
Boston University Medical Center Program
University of Minnesota Program
Wake Forest University School of Medicine Program
Montefiore Medical Center/Albert Einstein College of Medicine (Moses and Weiler Campuses) Program
NSLIJHS/Hofstra North Shore-LIJ School of Medicine Program
Ohio State University Hospital Program
Cleveland Clinic Foundation Program
University of Cincinnati Medical Center/College of Medicine Program
Case Western Reserve University/University Hospitals Case Medical Center Program
Baylor College of Medicine Program
University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston Program

Are these good safety's?
University of Wisconsin Program
Medical College of Wisconsin Affiliated Hospitals Program
St Louis University School of Medicine Program
University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics Program
University of South Florida Morsani Program
University of Chicago (NorthShore) Program

Last edited:
Unfortunately (or fortunately I suppose for you), where you go to med school does matter for the "top" IM residencies in the northeast, from my experience, primarily I'm assuming because it makes the school look good.

Your scores are excellent. Lack of published research should not be a deterrent for interview given the rest of your stuff.

The lack of publications will likely be a deterent at Duke.

The lack of publications will likely be a deterent at Duke.

I don't disagree.

Perhaps I should say that despite the lack of publications, he will match a decent university program with good training and research opportunity where he will likely be able to pursue his goal whether it be hospitalist medicine or fellowship or primary care, whatsoever he chooses.

Trying again with a little more info and more specific questions.

Med school:
public southern school, consistently ranked in the 30s
USMLE Step 1: a very disappointing couple points below the average
USMLE Step 2: pending both CK (Sept) and CS (Oct)
Class rank: bottom half
AOA: nope

Core clerkships: Honors in surgery and family medicine. We don’t have HP. Passes for everything else. Had 2nd quartile rankings for medicine, psych, and neuro. 3rd quartile for ob/gyn and peds. We’re completely P/F during 4th year so my subI was a P though it went well.

Research: PhD + 2 yr postdoc + worked as a lab consultant throughout medical school. Ended up with 11 pubs (5 first author), 18 poster presentations, and secured my own funding as a grad student with a DOD grant. Scored a fellowship both prior and after my grant ran out. Several travel awards and a few presentation awards. I’m in the process of starting up some clinical infectious disease research.

Recs: Two solid letters from my SubI (including one from a co-PD) and a very strong letter from my research mentor. My chair’s letter should be solid as well.

ECs: spent a number of hours volunteering at our free clinic but never bothered with student groups or committees, spent most of my free time working my research gig.

I have no interest in the top 4, and I know I’m not competitive there anyway. My geographical preference is the south. Aside from the geographical restriction, my biggest concerns are getting into a program that will strengthen my clinical skills in a non-malignant environment and allow me to do some research. Brand names mean nothing. I just want to get a good education and set-up for possible fellowship options in oncology, infectious disease, or critical care. We get a lot of OSH transfers and high acuity pts at my current medical center, and I’m looking for a similar patient population. As it currently stands, here’s my application list:

Reaches: Emory, Vanderbilt, UAB, UVA, VCU, MUSC, Duke, UNC, Tulane? LSU-NO?
Match: Arkansas, Kentucky, Louisville, Mississippi, Wake, USC, Tennessee, MCG, UAB-Huntsville, UF
Safety: some local community programs and lower end university-affiliated programs

Any places I’m overlooking that would be a good fit?
Also, I’m interested specifically in the reputations of Tulane, LSU-NO, Wake, MUSC, and Mississippi. Any opinions?

I don't think VCU would be a reach nor would MUSC. It think those are in your wheelhouse. I agree, vandy, emory etc would be likely reaches. Duke probably a far reach. Your strong publications and PhD are going to be very helpful.

I always thing UTSW is a good one to add because I think it delivers very strong clinical training and has the ability to offer research training- depends though if you are ok with going as far west as Texas.

Wake has a good reputation. MUSC and Tulane a pretty decent. The others have a more local reputation.

Med school rank: Middle tier
USMLE Step 1: 207
USMLE Step 2 CK: 235
Class rank: top 50%, maybe a little higher
AOA: no
Honors: H in IM clerkship and IM sub-i; HP OBGYN, Psych, Peds; P surgery, family
Research: 1 published abstract, multiple platform/poster presentations
LOR: strong
Other extracurriculars: extensive community service background
Region: happy to go to any big city; most important = looking to go into a competitive fellowship

I know my Step 1 is by far my biggest weakness, otherwise I think I'm pretty average? I'm not sure if this list has enough security. Let me know if you'd add anything!!

What do you think of these programs as "at par"? It's a fairly wide range of programs:
University of California Riverside School of Medicine Program
Cedars-Sinai Medical Center Program
University of California (Davis) Health System Program
University of California (Irvine) Program
University of Southern California/LAC+USC Medical Center Program
Los Angeles County-Harbor-UCLA Medical Center Program
Georgetown University Hospital Program
George Washington University Program
Emory University Program
Rush University Medical Center Program
Loyola University Program
University of Illinois College of Medicine at Chicago Program
Tufts Medical Center Program
Boston University Medical Center Program
University of Minnesota Program
Wake Forest University School of Medicine Program
Montefiore Medical Center/Albert Einstein College of Medicine (Moses and Weiler Campuses) Program
NSLIJHS/Hofstra North Shore-LIJ School of Medicine Program
Ohio State University Hospital Program
Cleveland Clinic Foundation Program
University of Cincinnati Medical Center/College of Medicine Program
Case Western Reserve University/University Hospitals Case Medical Center Program
Baylor College of Medicine Program
University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston Program

Are these good safety's?
University of Wisconsin Program
Medical College of Wisconsin Affiliated Hospitals Program
St Louis University School of Medicine Program
University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics Program
University of South Florida Morsani Program
University of Chicago (NorthShore) Program

Emory, most of the UC programs, Tufts, Wake, Case, CCF, Baylor, UCD, and Cedars are probably borderline reaches. Your well below mean step 1 score is going to be hard to overcome, espeically with an average step II score.

You need a few more true safeties.

Emory, most of the UC programs, Tufts, Wake, Case, CCF, Baylor, UCD, and Cedars are probably borderline reaches. Your well below mean step 1 score is going to be hard to overcome, espeically with an average step II score.

You need a few more true safeties.

Any suggestions for good safeties on the east coast? I'm not too familiar with those programs.

Any suggestions for good safeties on the east coast? I'm not too familiar with those programs.

Consider looking into VCU, EVMS, Carolinas medical center, ECU, UMD in the mid-atlantic region. These are probably in your wheelhouse with a few perhaps a bit below.

In terms of less competitive community programs, perhaps someone else can chime in. The ones I know of are pretty competitive.

I am of the opinion that applying too broadly is a much better idea than too narrowly. Some places may screen you out because your step 1 score is below 210. So having not only university programs and competitive community programs but also 3 or so less competitive community programs is a good idea. If you get a ton of interviews from your list, you can always cancel some interviews, but sending out a second round of applications is going to net you much fewer interviews than applying broadly the first time around.

Because the rest of your application is pretty strong but have a weak step 1, you are a tough person to judge. If a lot of programs used raw numbers to screen, you may get screened out at places you would otherwise be competitive for.

MD/PhD at an MSTP
Med School: Top 30-50s midwestern school

Step 1: 242 (shocked how the mean scores increased >10 points since I took the damn thing)
Step 2: Taking in Sept, based on UWorld scores probably high 260s

Clinical grades: H in IM, Surg, OBGYN, Psych and Neuro; HP in Peds
Evals were all very strong
AOA/Rank: Didn't get AOA; rank is 30-40% range, probably mostly because my M1/2 grades were not stellar

Research: Obviously the PhD; one first author in a medium impact; 3 second authors, two of which are high-impact; posters, working on a case presentation, doing a mini-research project this year blah, blah, blah

ECs/etc...: Lots of educational committee stuff and tonnes of teaching/tutoring; some medical volunteering at the homeless shelter

Very interested in a GI fellowship. Hoping to go to the best program possible to line me up for fellowship. I want to continue with research/academia, but I'm not interested in a PSTP residency. Specifically interested in UPenn and Stanford due to family reasons and research interest - but I am worried they may be real reaches. Doing an away rotation at one of my target schools. Any advice on a program with good support/learning/mentorship for a GI fellowship would be appreciated.

Dream schools: (would really like to know if people think what my chances are for interviews and overall competitiveness)

UPenn
Stanford
MGH
JHU
UCSF
Brigham

Extremely interested in and probably competitive at: (Are these at my punching level? Which have good GI programs/mentoring of residents for fellowship?)

Duke
Mayo
WashU
University of Washington
Northwestern
University of Michigan
BIDMC
U of Chicago

Think I should be quite competitive at these places and would be happy to attend:
University of Colorado
UCSD
UPMC
Case Western Reserve University
Ohio State
University of Cincinnati
Oregon Health & Science University
Thomas Jefferson University

Plus gonna throw 3-4 safeties in there as well like Temple or Pennsylvania Hospital.

Last edited:
Very interested in a GI fellowship. Hoping to go to the best program possible to line me up for fellowship. I want to continue with research/academia, but I'm not interested in a PSTP residency. Specifically interested in UPenn and Stanford due to family reasons and research interest - but I am worried they may be real reaches.
I'm not sure that I understand your reasoning here. You have a PhD, want an academic/research job in the future, want to go into a competitive sub-specialty at a top program, and yet don't want to do the PSTP which will give you a leg up in starting an academic career, provide you access to an additional year of time to qualify for K awards and more formal mentored research opportunities, particularly at the large places you're looking at.

What am I missing?

Yes, you will likely have to do an extra year in fellowship. But you know that if you're really looking at a lab-based academic career, you're going to wind up doing 2-3 years as an "instructor/adjunct" after completing your fellowship before most places will look at you for an Ass Prof spot, right? Because that's the reality of today's research environment. I've talked about this ad nauseum in the MD/PhD forum, but I have 4 friends who are perfect examples of this.

1. Stanford IM/UCSF Hem/Onc: Clinical and research mentors are both AAAS members. First author Nature Medicine, 2nd author Nature Genetics papers as a fellow. K99/R00. Offered faculty position (UCSF) in his 3rd year after finishing fellowship while working at the instructor level.

2. UCLA IM/OHSU Hem/Onc (Research Pathway): HHMI research mentor. First author NEJM paper and multiple first author Blood papers during fellowship. K award as 3rd year fellow. Offered faculty position (UCI) after 2 years as instructor.

3. UTSW IM/OHSU Oncology (Research Pathway): Same research mentor. 3rd author NEJM, 1st author Blood, multiple other 1st author pubs. K award as 4th year fellow. 2 further "Career Development" awards. Offered faculty position (OHSU) this year (we graduated together 3 years ago).

4. UChicago IM/Hem-Onc (Not research pathway): More first author papers than you can shake a stick at (I quit counting at 12) during fellowship. 3 different Career Dev awards during fellowship. K99/R00 in 2nd year as an instructor after finishing fellowship. Currently 2nd year tenure track at tOSU after a little over 2 years as an instructor at UChi.

I'm not sure that I understand your reasoning here. You have a PhD, want an academic/research job in the future, want to go into a competitive sub-specialty at a top program, and yet don't want to do the PSTP which will give you a leg up in starting an academic career, provide you access to an additional year of time to qualify for K awards and more formal mentored research opportunities, particularly at the large places you're looking at.

What am I missing?

Yes, you will likely have to do an extra year in fellowship. But you know that if you're really looking at a lab-based academic career, you're going to wind up doing 2-3 years as an "instructor/adjunct" after completing your fellowship before most places will look at you for an Ass Prof spot, right? Because that's the reality of today's research environment. I've talked about this ad nauseum in the MD/PhD forum, but I have 4 friends who are perfect examples of this.

1. Stanford IM/UCSF Hem/Onc: Clinical and research mentors are both AAAS members. First author Nature Medicine, 2nd author Nature Genetics papers as a fellow. K99/R00. Offered faculty position (UCSF) in his 3rd year after finishing fellowship while working at the instructor level.

2. UCLA IM/OHSU Hem/Onc (Research Pathway): HHMI research mentor. First author NEJM paper and multiple first author Blood papers during fellowship. K award as 3rd year fellow. Offered faculty position (UCI) after 2 years as instructor.

3. UTSW IM/OHSU Oncology (Research Pathway): Same research mentor. 3rd author NEJM, 1st author Blood, multiple other 1st author pubs. K award as 4th year fellow. 2 further "Career Development" awards. Offered faculty position (OHSU) this year (we graduated together 3 years ago).

4. UChicago IM/Hem-Onc (Not research pathway): More first author papers than you can shake a stick at (I quit counting at 12) during fellowship. 3 different Career Dev awards during fellowship. K99/R00 in 2nd year as an instructor after finishing fellowship. Currently 2nd year tenure track at tOSU after a little over 2 years as an instructor at UChi.

Hi gutonc, thanks for your reply. I do think I want an academic career, but not so sure about having my own lab. Also my publication record during grad school wasn't great so I'm not sure I would be competitive for PSTP at a powerhouse anyways. Are not most of the PSTP applicants MSTP?

Consider looking into VCU, EVMS, Carolinas medical center, ECU, UMD in the mid-atlantic region. These are probably in your wheelhouse with a few perhaps a bit below.

In terms of less competitive community programs, perhaps someone else can chime in. The ones I know of are pretty competitive.

I am of the opinion that applying too broadly is a much better idea than too narrowly. Some places may screen you out because your step 1 score is below 210. So having not only university programs and competitive community programs but also 3 or so less competitive community programs is a good idea. If you get a ton of interviews from your list, you can always cancel some interviews, but sending out a second round of applications is going to net you much fewer interviews than applying broadly the first time around.

Because the rest of your application is pretty strong but have a weak step 1, you are a tough person to judge. If a lot of programs used raw numbers to screen, you may get screened out at places you would otherwise be competitive for.

Thank you for your help, I completely agree about throwing a wide net. If you or anyone else has suggestions about programs elsewhere (anywhere in the country), I'd greatly appreciate it.

I am an IMG. I graduate in May 2016
Step 1: 210
Step 2: 229
Step 2 CS: Passed
All my exams passed on first attempt

I have no research or publications

I did all my elective rotations and some cores in the U.S (about 1.5 years of U.S clinical experience) (Pass in Internal Medicine, Honors in Infectious Disease SubIM, Honors in endocrinology SubIM, Honors in Neurology SubIM)
I have 1 LOR from Chief Section Endocrinology. 1 Lor from Geriatrics (Family Doc) 1 LOR from Family Medicine

What are my chances of getting interviews in Internal Medicine?

I

Med school rank: low tier MD
USMLE Step 1: 240; USMLE Step 2: TBD;
Class rank: First two years: bottom of 2nd quartile; Last two years: 2nd quartile
AOA: unlikely; GHHS recipient
Honors: H in Peds, FM, Neuro, and Psych; HP in OB and IM; P in Surgery (due to shelf)
Research: undergrad work (multiple abstract and posters from a top 10 undergrad - paper in the works this month), research work between 1st and 2nd year at a top 20 institution with national conference presentation and abstract
Recs: research rec from top 30 institution, and local recs from school faculty
Extracurrics: heavily involved in school government and volunteer activities

Chances at: nyu, bu, tufts, bidmc, yale, penn, jefferson, jhu, jhu bayview, umd, uva, georgetown, ohio state, case western, tulane, uab, michigan, vcu, wake, duke, unc, wash u, vanderbilt, univ washington, brown, carolinas medical center, and a couple more

Thanks

Chances at: nyu, bu, tufts, bidmc, yale, penn, jefferson, jhu, jhu bayview, umd, uva, georgetown, ohio state, case western, tulane, uab, michigan, vcu, wake, duke, unc, wash u, vanderbilt, univ washington, brown, carolinas medical center, and a couple more

Thanks
You will get plenty of interviews, and rejections, from that group. You will match and you will be fine.

Med school rank: low tier MD
USMLE Step 1: 240; USMLE Step 2: TBD;
Class rank: First two years: bottom of 2nd quartile; Last two years: 2nd quartile
AOA: unlikely; GHHS recipient
Honors: H in Peds, FM, Neuro, and Psych; HP in OB and IM; P in Surgery (due to shelf)
Research: undergrad work (multiple abstract and posters from a top 10 undergrad - paper in the works this month), research work between 1st and 2nd year at a top 20 institution with national conference presentation and abstract
Recs: research rec from top 30 institution, and local recs from school faculty
Extracurrics: heavily involved in school government and volunteer activities

Thanks

very reasonable list of schools

Med School: Mid-Tier Midwest
Step 1: 252, Step 2: November
AOA: Yes
Rotations: H: Med, Neuro, Surgery, Ob/Gyn, HP: Psych/Fam, Pass: Peds
Research: 3 presentations, 1 third author pub, 1 second author pub, 1 case report
ECs: Global health trips, normal volunteering
LORs: Strong Letters

What are my chances at the "top ten?" BGH, Mass, UCSF, JH, NW, etc..

Med school: Allopathic new school in SE, not ranked yet AFAIK but graduates are matching well so far.
Step 1: 265
Step 2: CK pending, CS not taken yet.
Class rank: Pass/fail school but should be in top 1/3
Honors: H in IM and OB, pass in the rest (we only have honors and pass). No grades during 4th year.
Research: No pubs or posters, currently working on a good project though. Some clinical research experience in undergrad.
LORs: Strong.
Extracurriculars: Various volunteering, student groups, free clinic.

I have a strong regional preference--biggest factor is matching in the Twin Cities which has three programs: HCMC, Abbott Northwestern and the University of Minnesota. I also plan to apply to Mayo MN, University of Iowa, Wisconsin Madison, Medical College of Wisconsin and probably some places in Chicago, but I'm not sure where yet.

Basically trying to get about 20-25 programs. Mostly midwest programs but I would also like some ideas on programs that are decent-to-good that I might have a shot at. I don't expect to have a shot at Big 4 by any means but I would like to know what are some other places I should look at. Thanks!

How does a grade of Pass in General Surgery affect an IM application?

Med School: Top 15; nyc school
Step 1: 224
Class Rank: Mid/lower
AOA: no aoa
Core clerkships: HP- internal medicine, psychiatry, family medicine. Pass: everything else.
SubI: positive experience with very strong rec letter.
Research: few abstract and poster presentations in undergrad, 2 abstracts/posters in med school. International project in east Africa.
Recs: Strong LoRs from sub-I/IM. 1 very strong LOR from a renal elective?
ECs: coordinated a high school student medicine/science exposure program. Various volunteering experiences.

I know my grades aren't very strong but things happen. What are my chances at staying in NYC or perhaps getting into a top tier program in the mid west.

I think I interview fairly well.