Official EM/IM Invite Thread 2012-2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

icaruswalks

premed to attending
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey didn't see this on the forums here... anybody interviewing for EM/IM?

I'll get us started... :thumbup:

Delaware
Christiana C are: icaruswalks

Illinois
UIC: icaruswalks

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Here is mine.

Delaware
Christiana C are: icaruswalks,sylvanthus

Illinois
UIC: icaruswalks,sylvanthus

Minnesota
HCMC: sylvanthus

North Carolina
VMC: sylvanthus

Virginia
VCU: sylvanthus

Pennsylvania
Allegheny: sylvanthus

New York
Long Island Jewish: sylvanthus

I have done my VCU one already and was very impressed with the program. Shoot me a PM if you have questions. Im really curious how many people are applying EM/IM this year and how competitive it is going to be. Seems like VCU is interviewing 36 people for 2 spots...Kinda scarey and hope that isnt the general trend.

Interviewed a couple weeks ago @ LSU. Anyone else?

Delaware

Illinois

Minnesota

North Carolina

Virginia
VCU: sylvanthus, icaruswalks

Pennsylvania
Allegheny: sylvanthus

New York

Are you shooting for EM/IM as your main?

Yes, though I submitted my application a bit late I think... I've gotten good feedback on my application, I'm hoping that other programs will offer me an interview invite.

I dont think this forum gets much traffic so its hard to say. Ive seem alot of the same people on the interview trail so i think its definately a small group.

I plan on doing critical care and work in the ED and think that the IM training would be beneficial. Also id say IM is my second fav specialty anyhow.

Thanks. Don't want to derail the thread or anything. I'm interested in global health and while doubling up seems a bit overkill for some things, I think there are a few areas where it's a valid/sane plan and global health seems like one. I can definitely see critical care med as well.

I'm working on an MPH and applied to HCMC's research associate program and l saw they offered the combined degree. Made me curious to see what recent applicants were planning for their careers, although I'm a long ways from that point.

Thanks. Don't want to derail the thread or anything. I'm interested in global health and while doubling up seems a bit overkill for some things, I think there are a few areas where it's a valid/sane plan and global health seems like one. I can definitely see critical care med as well.

I'm working on an MPH and applied to HCMC's research associate program and l saw they offered the combined degree. Made me curious to see what recent applicants were planning for their careers, although I'm a long ways from that point.

Theres also EM/FM that would seem a reasonable pathway for global health as well. Not sure if you have checked that out or not.

Thanks will look into that option as well. The advantage of IM is that it keeps my options open for an ID fellowship too. But I've got plenty of time.

I think even though there are like 36 interviewers for most of the EM/IM programs, they are for the most part the same group of people. So, if there are 12 programs, x2 (3 spots for UIC), that's about 25 spots for the 36 interviewers.

The exception I think is U of Maryland. I got rejected from their combined program, but in their email they said they had about 1300 applicants for their 2 spots... Good luck all!

Any thoughts on Down state?
Downstate was a little lower on my rank list because at the time I perceived the IM training to be less than the EM department in terms of quality, teaching, and experience. This sentiment was confirmed in candid conversations I had with one of their EM/IM residents and a couple of Downstate 4th years who I saw consistently on the trail. This may have changed since I interviewed and you should certainly do your own research.

My personal opinion is that you should go to a place for EM/IM where the training in each is approximately equal. It's ok if one dept is a little stronger but it shouldn't be markedly so. Remember half of your training is going to be on each side and you don't want to regret choosing a longer residency when you feel like you don't like half of it or your time is being wasted. Do not rank a program high just because it's EM/IM make sure it's a good fit for your goals. If it's not then consider a very strong EM or IM categorical program as well. If you are unhappy it will increase your attrition risk from the program to one or the other. We don't want that and I would imagine you don't either.

Delaware

Illinois

Minnesota

North Carolina

Virginia
VCU: sylvanthus, icaruswalks

Pennsylvania
Allegheny: sylvanthus, icaruswalks

New York

Any thoughts on Allegheny? I like the program from what I hear...but wasn't sure what people thought about it on the interview trail.