Transferring Into EM/IM Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kansas_Med

Reaction score
Hey, all. I’m a current IM PGY2 who is wondering what the prospects would be of getting into, or applying for, a spot in one of the handful of combined EM/IM residencies.

I applied EM as an MS4 and didn’t get it. I ended up in IM. I enjoy IM quite a bit and am very grateful to have a spot/career. However, EM has been something I’ve really always wanted to do.

I’m willing to apply to EM next year as a PGY3 if need be. But I was wondering what the possibilities would be of being able to start somewhere at a combined program, since I’m already on my way to being IM boarded.

I think I do appreciate and have an affinity for both specialties and would see myself practicing both in some capacity down the line, or doing some academic or administrative work where having both would be an asset. I know the combined community is a tight-knit field, and I think I’ve spent a fair amount of time reflecting on the ethos and reasons for combined training, to the point where I feel confident it’s something I want to do.

I just don’t have a very good grasp on the logistics of combined programs, especially in a non-traditional situation like this. So forgive my ignorance if what I’m talking about is totally unrealistic. Like I said, I’m willing to apply to EM programs once I’m in my last year of IM training.

Members don't see this ad.

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users
Hey, all. I’m a current IM PGY2 who is wondering what the prospects would be of getting into, or applying for, a spot in one of the handful of combined EM/IM residencies.

I applied EM as an MS4 and didn’t get it. I ended up in IM. I enjoy IM quite a bit and am very grateful to have a spot/career. However, EM has been something I’ve really always wanted to do.

I’m willing to apply to EM next year as a PGY3 if need be. But I was wondering what the possibilities would be of being able to start somewhere at a combined program, since I’m already on my way to being IM boarded.

I think I do appreciate and have an affinity for both specialties and would see myself practicing both in some capacity down the line, or doing some academic or administrative work where having both would be an asset. I know the combined community is a tight-knit field, and I think I’ve spent a fair amount of time reflecting on the ethos and reasons for combined training, to the point where I feel confident it’s something I want to do.

I just don’t have a very good grasp on the logistics of combined programs, especially in a non-traditional situation like this. So forgive my ignorance if what I’m talking about is totally unrealistic. Like I said, I’m willing to apply to EM programs once I’m in my last year of IM training.
This is a terrible idea for so many reasons. Just do a critical care fellowship. I also think you’d be better served discussing this in the EM forums.

Members don't see this ad :)

There aren't many programs and the likelihood of getting into one part way through as an external applicant is low. You have better chances of applying for EM next year and doing sequential training. They might even give you some credit so you don't necessarily have to do the full 3 years, but will likely have to do more than 2 yrs.

Few programs, rare for them to have openings, and taking someone who has finished 66% of their IM rotations but essentially 0% of their EM rotations would be a scheduling nightmare. Probably worth e-mailing program directors but I would plan to do sequential training. I agree that you should include the idea of a CCM fellowship as an option to consider. EM and CCM are different in a lot of ways but, if CCM offers you a lot of the things you want out of EM, there are a lot of advantages to doing a fellowship over a second residency. Either would likely be three years. One route makes you an over-trained graduate of a 3 year residency, the other route makes you a graduate of a 6 year training program with 2 subspecialty certifications. And then their the difference between 3 years as a fellow vs 3 years as a resident.

For what it's worth, even though I have a more positive view of EM as a career choice than many others on the forum, I would personally probably go the fellowship route over doing EM as a second residency.

Reactions: 1 users